Freedom of the Seas drydock

Sherri, was your 5/3 cruise cancelled by Royal?

Cheryl

Cheryl, yeah it was cancelled in 5-2014. There was a big group called Maxwell that was bringing their own entertainment and chef etc. onto the ship. It was a full ship charter (we got price protected and OBC). Now I see that that May 3 is no longer a full ship charter and it is being sold. I am glad they cancelled us and we could move to May 17 as we have traveled with a large group before and they took over rooms/lounges and tried to kick us out of Second Seating (on Celebrity before RCCL bought them). Some folks on Cruise Critic know they are traveling with a large group and are OK with it as the price is good but there will be unsuspecting groups who book without Googling for groups or being on CC etc.

The timing is better anyway as we are now driving down to Boca Raton for my nephews wedding on 4-26-2015 and we like have a few weeks before trips.

Where in Charleston are you? DD, SIl and our triplet grandsons live on Daniel Island.

Sherri, I know that feeling of a big group take over! We unknowingly experienced it last February on FOS there were 1000+ in that group!! Our ice shows were cancelled, entertainment cancelled, main dining room and MTD bumped us all to late seating so they could all eat at the same time, our M&M and upper level parties were changed so that they took place simultaneously and we had to choose which party to attend. The people in general were rude and pushy. They took over lounges, the promenade,etc. It wasn't even a cheap cruise!

I am so paranoid that there is going to be a large group on board this year. I've googled everything I could think of and checked on CC. I don't see anything, but I'm still terrified I'm going to get onboard and find some large group take over again! I googled again today and saw a country music fest cruise on RCCL for 3/8, but fortunately it was on Adventure!

Our roll call and M&M are both very small, but the ship is almost sold out, so once again, I'm paranoid!

Cheryl

Strange, because it's not showing cabins on deck 12 post dry dock!

I believe this was covered earlier in this thread. It is possible that they hold these in reserve until the work is done/confirmed, then the RCL upgrade team can go to work and start offering them to existing bookings on the early cruises while the later cruises might just have them appear as options.

Onboard Freedom now docked in Canaveral. They started tearing apart the Crypt yesterday, it was open Sunday night and that was it. I walked in there last night, and it was a construction zone. Lots of contractors onboard this sailing, but no real work started to the public eye. It was a great little getaway, looking forward to see what they do in dry dock.

I believe this was covered earlier in this thread. It is possible that they hold these in reserve until the work is done/confirmed, then the RCL upgrade team can go to work and start offering them to existing bookings on the early cruises while the later cruises might just have them appear as options.

Still have my doubts, but we will see shortly. If that is the case, why don't they just start offering them let's say in april or May. I don't think contractors will stay much longer on the ship post dry dock, so they should have known by now when those cabins will be available. For me it doesn't make sense, but like i said, we wills see shortly.

Edited by Topo Gigio

Onboard Freedom now docked in Canaveral. They started tearing apart the Crypt yesterday, it was open Sunday night and that was it. I walked in there last night, and it was a construction zone. Lots of contractors onboard this sailing, but no real work started to the public eye. It was a great little getaway, looking forward to see what they do in dry dock.

We saw you pull in this morning. We were there to watch the Falcon 9 launch that they scrubbed with 1.5 minutes left. At least we got to see Freedom OTS. We will be on her for the Feb 8-15th sailing.

-Sean

Still have my doubts, but we will see shortly. If that is the case, why don't they just start offering them let's say in april or May. I don't think contractors will stay much longer on the ship post dry dock, so they should have known by now when those cabins will be available. For me it doesn't make sense, but like i said, we wills see shortly.

When they added the new cabins to both the Navigator and Oasis it was not until the drydock was well underway that they released the deck plans showing the new cabins. Very few things that Royal does seem to make any sense.

considering her delivery specs were 24 knots at 75% power, limping is probably appropriate. What I find interesting is that they had to replace the bearings on that pod before they even took delivery of the ship (they failed during sea trials).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I do remember seeing that on the Discovery channel show. Well, she is back at Port Canaveral today. I assume she will head out earlier than normal.

Let me know if they call you in Late Feb. There are a lot more cabins available than normal for our April cruise. BTW, what part of NW Ohio? We get up to Findlay quite a bit.

I saw something on this thread about them taking out the cupcake shop... but my cruise planner allows me to book the decorating class for december... Wondering if it's a glitch and I should wait.

They could always do like they did with the revitalized Oasis and combine the cupcake shop with the new Cups and Scoops ice cream shop. They still had a small area there for cupcake decorating classes.

Freedom is now leaving Port Canaveral.

While Navigator of the Seas was scheduled for a 30 day dry-dock and Freedom is only scheduled for 24 days, whatever cabins they do end up adding will easily be sold through upgrades and guarantees.

Let me know if they call you in Late Feb. There are a lot more cabins available than normal for our April cruise. BTW, what part of NW Ohio? We get up to Findlay quite a bit.

Bill, We are in the Toledo area. We are booked in an aft JS on Deck 10. Not sure what the new deck 12 category is meant to be. We lucked out with an upgrade on Allure last year the week after her Dry-dock to fix similar azipod issues. I'll post if we get the call but not holding my breath for a GS this time.

Funny thing about the Allure dry-dock repairs last year, azipods were fine afterwards but upgrades to security systems caused us to be late leaving each port due to bad counts of souls on board. There are always interesting little snags. This is why I believe they are reluctant to commit to the changes until done or near so.

GO Bucks!!!

I saw something on this thread about them taking out the cupcake shop... but my cruise planner allows me to book the decorating class for december... Wondering if it's a glitch and I should wait.

We sailed on the Freedom Thanksgiving week and had a nice chat with the captain in the cafe. He told us they are moving the cupcake shop across the hall to share the space with the cafe. So it is not being eliminated.

Bill, We are in the Toledo area. We are booked in an aft JS on Deck 10. Not sure what the new deck 12 category is meant to be. We lucked out with an upgrade on Allure last year the week after her Dry-dock to fix similar azipod issues. I'll post if we get the call but not holding my breath for a GS this time.

Funny thing about the Allure dry-dock repairs last year, azipods were fine afterwards but upgrades to security systems caused us to be late leaving each port due to bad counts of souls on board. There are always interesting little snags. This is why I believe they are reluctant to commit to the changes until done or near so.

GO Bucks!!!

We are Alabama Roll Tide fans. We had our chance but I guess the old saying holds true "May the best man win" and he did. :( Congrats!

Watching FOS pivot to sail away to dry dock.

See you March 8th!