Has Royal changed their dining policy?

I know that Quantum has dynamic dining and now I am wondering if this new dining is in place on all ships. The reason I ask is because I have a cruise at the end of the month and had requested early seating. Last night on received as email advising me to book me any time dinner reservations now. When I followed the link provided I could only book for the specialty restaurants. I have 8 future cruises booked with Royal in which I had requested early dining. Only one booking has early confirmed. I am a bit confused since I am a diamond member and always book a jr suite well in advance, nearly 2 years in some cases.

My experience with booking dynamic dining for the Quantum was a nightmare. The site is not user friendly. I was left feeling the same as I did on NCL with free-for-all dining only the nightmare begins before I board the ship.

The dining policy has not changed. I'm guessing you received the email in error.

Regarding not being able to get early traditional dining even when booking cruises over a year in advance, it's happened to us too. I don't know what's going on with that. However, we have always cleared the waitlist as the cruise approaches.

For other RCCL ships the flexible dining is 'My time Dining' .

For traditional seating there is only two fixed seatings in the main restaurant. My Time Dining is the flexible seation in main restaurant - you can make reservation for specific times in advance.

For traditional seating there is only two fixed seatings in the main restaurant. My Time Dining is the flexible seation in main restaurant - you can make reservation for specific times in advance.

You are correct about MTD.

However the new ships (Quantum and Anthem) will have "Dynamic Dining," which many compare to NCL Freestyle Dining. Dynamic Dining will have 4 different main dining rooms with separate menus and dress code requirements. There has been little in the way of factual information on the process, but the speculation about how it will work it mind-blowing since nobody has experienced what it will really be on Royal.

Edited by rummenroman

However the new ships (Quantum and Anthem) will have "Dynamic Dining," which many compare to NCL Freestyle Dining. Dynamic Dining will have 4 different main dining rooms with separate menus and dress code requirements. There has been little in the way of factual information on the process, but the speculation about how it will work it mind-blowing since nobody has experienced what it will really be on Royal.

Attached is information from RCI regarding Dynamic Dining as will be introduced on Quantum class ships.

Per last spring's webinar with Adam Goldstein there are no plans to roll this out to other ships until it has been proven successful with Quantum class and then if expanded, it will likely on new builds only at first.

1396036808_v1Culinary-Press-Release-FINAL-32414 (1).pdf

thank you for the Heads up.

Attached is information from RCI regarding Dynamic Dining as will be introduced on Quantum class ships.

Per last spring's webinar with Adam Goldstein there are no plans to roll this out to other ships until it has been proven successful with Quantum class and then if expanded, it will likely on new builds only at first.

Thanks for the info. If they decide to do it I sure hope they improve the "Cruise Planner". It is a nightmare to use. I haven't seen human engineering this poor since the mid 90's.

I know that Quantum has dynamic dining and now I am wondering if this new dining is in place on all ships. The reason I ask is because I have a cruise at the end of the month and had requested early seating. Last night on received as email advising me to book me any time dinner reservations now. When I followed the link provided I could only book for the specialty restaurants. I have 8 future cruises booked with Royal in which I had requested early dining. Only one booking has early confirmed. I am a bit confused since I am a diamond member and always book a jr suite well in advance, nearly 2 years in some cases.

My experience with booking dynamic dining for the Quantum was a nightmare. The site is not user friendly. I was left feeling the same as I did on NCL with free-for-all dining only the nightmare begins before I board the ship.

It is all about getting you to pre pay your so called tips.My time dining you have to pre pay tips.More Money ,More Money.Refuse it you will get the dining you want,learn how the game is played. :eek: :)

It is all about getting you to pre pay your so called tips.My time dining you have to pre pay tips.More Money ,More Money.Refuse it you will get the dining you want,learn how the game is played. :eek: :)

No more money as the prepaid gratuities are the same as the recommended levels. Just paid in advance with final payment. Only makes a value difference if you do not intend to pay the recommended level.

Not sure what you mean by your last statement. :confused:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It isn't more money, it is just a matter of when that money is paid. The suggested tip amounts are the same whether paid in advance or charged daily to your onboard account. For us, it is just one less thing to be concerned about.

I don't think being a diamond member or what category you book has any influence on your dining reservations. Unfortunately, many people from newbies to frequent cruisers report being wait-listed for their requested dining times. I usually book between 1 and 2 years out and have had the same thing happen at times, there does not seem to be any pattern.

The dining policy has not changed. I'm guessing you received the email in error.

Regarding not being able to get early traditional dining even when booking cruises over a year in advance, it's happened to us too. I don't know what's going on with that. However, we have always cleared the waitlist as the cruise approaches.

This has happened to us as well on our last 2 out of 3 cruises with Royal. The first time, we got put on a wait list, but my brother could not even get that. Our reservations were linked and he ended up talking to a resolutions group. They told him that RCI gives out blocks of rooms to travel agents and guarantees them traditional dining. This blocks a lot of us who book through the cruise line from getting the dining time we request when we book. Later with the first cruise we got the traditional dining time we asked for. They did put my brother on the wait list and he got that dining time, also.

We are booked on the Oasis in February and early the traditional dining time is not available. We are on a wait list again and were put in My Time dining for now. It does not sit well with me that they do this. People giving them a definite booking deserve to be treated as well as travel agencies who can turn back blocks of rooms to them. With each booking with RCI by individuals who want traditional dining, that should mean one less table available to the travel agencies.

For the first time ever we have also been unable to get either fixed seating (early would have been our preference but we could have lived with late). Booked through an on-line agency and were told the waitlist wasn't open either.

So, this will be our first time trying MTD of any sort (not including Freestyle on NCL). I'm confused - do we HAVE to make reservations or can we just walk up like at a regular restaurant?

As we haven't been on RCCL for quiet a while, I'm counting on some of your up to date experiences. Anybody lately have luck trying to get their dining assignment changed by the maitre'd once on-board? Do they even entertain those requests anymore?

Edited by ronandannette

...So, this will be our first time trying MTD of any sort (not including Freestyle on NCL). I'm confused - do we HAVE to make reservations or can we just walk up like at a regular restaurant? ...

You don't have to make reservations, though Royal makes it seem that way. You can show up when you want.

I received the same e-mail as the OP even though we are confirmed for late seating. But thanks to the many helpful posters who have reported the same I know that it is simply RC trolling for specialty restaurant reservations.

Dontcha just love how Royal promises "Nobody likes a full inbox" on the Cruise Documentation tab in My Cruises--yet I have not gone two consecutive days without an e-mail "reminder" of all the add-ons since booking.

You don't have to make reservations, though Royal makes it seem that way. You can show up when you want.

Correct, however, if you want these same table or the same waiters, peak time - or other requirements it's better to make a reservation.

But if you ar ok with different tables every night and a bit of waiting time, you do not need a reservation.

Has anyone heard that the Oasis (and I assume the same will be true for the Allure) will be moving toward a Dynamic Dining format with reduced set dining after their dry docks? I read this on a Royal Facebook group page and several people were being told that the ships would be mostly my time dining by Royal when they were booking cruises for post Oasis dry dock. I don't know if this is just a rumour being started by Royal's Call Centre booking staff or if this is reality. If it is true I find it strange that Royal would go ahead with this dining concept on the Oasis before Quantum is even delivered. I would think that Dynamic Dining (or a similar concept) would need to be thoroughly tested by Quantum and Anthem before going to other ships.

Any thoughts?

We have found that one advantage to having a scheduled time is that you can request the same table and wait staff. Have never been disappointed!

A disadvantage to just showing up is that there is usually quite a line waiting when we are seated between 5:45 and 7:30. We usually have seating times within this window.

On ships out of Florida, many times early seating is "hot." We always book late and never have had a problem getting late seating.

Also, if you don't get a dinner seating before you sail, they have the M'aitre D' hold "office hours" if you want to change dinner seatings. Our experience is that folks that wanted to change have gotten the seating they want.

On our most recent cruise, we booked a future cruise for February 2015 on Independence. The Loyalty Advisor, advised us that since we wanted early seating we had to be wait listed for it. He could put us in MTD (which we don't want) or give the Late Seating and once a spot opens from the wait list be moved.

We took going on the wait list for early seating, but was not happy. Glad to hear that you always cleared the waitlist and got the seating you wanted as the cruise approached.

This strategy of trying to maneuver people into MTD, to collect the tips at the time of booking is not nice. That is how I felt and told the LA so.

Correct, however, if you want these same table or the same waiters, peak time - or other requirements it's better to make a reservation.

But if you ar ok with different tables every night and a bit of waiting time, you do not need a reservation.

This is what I would expect in a MTD situation. We strongly prefer traditional seating but about the only advantage I can possibly see to MTD is the flexibility to come and go when you please on any given day without having to have decided in advance.

If you don't make a reservation prior to boarding for MTD, can you call or visit the dining room earlier each day to get a reservation or is it all or nothing?

Yes, you can call or visit each day to make, modify, or cancel you reservation.