Umbrellas & Rain Ponchos?

I used to pack them on every cruise. Never used 'em.

Then once, I had an umbrella with me, because of clouds, in Nassau. The clouds turned into rain and the rain turned into a hurricane. The umbrella was useless anyway; it turned inside out in the wind. The rain was coming sideways. We were soaked to the bone by the time we made it back to the ship.

But who cares? You are on a cruise. So you get wet.

As my mother used to say, "Carol, you are NOT made of sugar and spice and everything nice; YOU WON'T MELT."

:)

yes. - Ponchos

We pack a pair of disposable ponchos on every trip, land and sea, and even keep a pair in the car. Luckily, most of the time they go unused and are ready for the next trip. However, a few cruises ago it stated to rain about debarkation time in Nassau. Everyone was huddled under a shelter at the pier. We were there just long enough to open the ponchos and put them on. We were offered $20 EACH for them, but turned it down. (Next time we might sell :D) We walked to our destination with no issues. We held on to them and needed them later in the day. Glad we had them.

enjoy

M

I just always throw a couple of Dollar Store ponchos in my luggage. So far I haven't used them but if I NEEDED to they're there. They don't weigh anything and don't take up any space.

As Merion-Mom says, a little rain (or even a lot) isn't going to make me melt (though sometimes my BF swears I am the Wicked Witch of the West.)

I wouldn't bring them unless you plan on an excursion where they might be needed, like a multi-hour walking tour. I would prefer an umbrella: it's hot in the Bahamas and plastic ponchos are not comfortable.

Hot and dry was a lot better than soaking wet or having to stay on board.

We are always happy when we have them.

M

Dollar Store for sure!

2 for a dollar. If you have them then it won't rain. Really cheap insurance!

Always take these on any trip. In fact, they came in quite useful on a return ferry from Atlantis to Nassau port early in June.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We take both every excursion. We have had some horrid storms on excursions. And it does get COLD when you have gale force winds and are soaked to the skin. Two that come to mind were in St. Martin where the streets became raging rivers ( very scary) and once in grand Cayman where the the rain came side ways and the tenders could not load or unload and we had no choice but to stand out in what felt like a hurricane. The ponchos kept us somewhat dry and not as cold as those who had nothing. A little sprinkling rain no big deal. Boy Scout motto.

I have a vertical pouch on the side of my carry-on and I always try to remember to put an umbrella there. I have taken my raincoat, which folds up like a poncho, a few times. I used it at Turks and Caicos. It was a beautiful, sunny day for the morning and then clouds moved it and it just poured in the afternoon. We went back after lunch to shop around and I was glad I took the raincoat in my beach bag. I did not take the umbrella, but could have used it.

It will usually rain at home when I am at work and then my umbrella is in the car, or it starts when I am at the mall or grocery store, so if I get wet, I know I have dry clothes available and I don't melt. I try to run between the drops, but that doesn't usually work!