If you've ever been to NORWAY---

wandb

I need some help from you CC friends who have cruised to Norway before (some of you have probably done so many times).

I am looking at a couple of options for next year---two different cruise lines

Several ports are the same on both cruises. There are a couple of different ports with each line.

My question------ Would you opt for the cruise that goes to Stavanger and Flam?

Or would you opt for Eidfjord and scenic cruising of Hardanger Fjord?

Thanks in advance for your advice, opinions, and pictures if you have them.

We have done both.

Both have their charm, Eidfjord and Hardanger are all about (scenic) cruising in the fjords, but both also have unique opportunities for excursions, for example some that also involve great views looking down in the fjords where the ship is and travel to heights with permanent snow on top.

Stavanger has a nice city, views at the worldfamous Preikstolen and Flam gives you the opportunity to travel the great railway.

Like I say, both have their charm!

For me it's not that easy. Hardangerfjord is long and gorgeous, but Stavanger was our stealth port last summer. The rail trip in Flam is nice, but the town is just a cruise centered stop. The snack at the end of the rail trip is underwhelming. Eidfjord is about the waterfall.

You can read my trip report from last summer on Eurodam from the link in my signature.

I've been up and down that coast more times than I can count, including all the rides you are choosing from.

Stavanger & Flam, not a doubt about it. (Although I loved them all.)

If you have a chance to take the small boat ride up Lysefjord out of Stavanger, take it. Even if your ship is doing the same thing when it departs, the perspective is totally different. It's worth it just for that. I've done the small boat ride twice, and been up the same fjord on the ship three times.

Let me add my endorsement of the Stavanger and Flam choice.

The Flam railway ride is beautiful and the museum about how the railway was built is a good companion to the train ride.

Stavanger is interesting. We did a morning tour that included a walk around the old part of town. In the afternoon we went to a museum. Stavanger has lots of museums, quite a wide choice. There's a museum of local history, museum of archaeology, museum about the petroleum industry, and a sardine cannery museum. We went to the sardine museum and had one of the best guides we've ever met in all of our museum-going.

Is Geirangerfjord on either/both itineraries? That's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and would definitely be a tipping point for me.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We didn't "do" the fjords you mentioned, but visited Stavanger and Flam. There are a few photos in my trip report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896249&page=4. Stavanger is in posts 57-60, and Flam 65 and 66. We also did the ship's train ride, which didn't go all the way up the mountain, but had a stop at a hotel for a snack which wasn't great. Knowing what I know now, I would opt to take the train on my own and go all the way to the top!

Agree to choose S. and Flam. Order your tix for the Flam train online. Get a group together on your roll call and you'll be able to reserve a train car or part of one. If you wait to buy tix when you get there, they could be sold out.

I lived in Stavanger for 4 years and would definitely choose it and Flam over the scenic cruising. The down town of Stavanger has many interesting shops, a fish market and a beautiful church on a peaceful lake. There is also a fish cannery which is quite interesting. And, if you take a short cruise on the fjiord that goes up to Prekistolen ( Pulpit Rock ), you won't be disappointed as you sail under it and look up.

I would also recommend the train ride up to Flam as I always found it to be very pretty and interesting.

Another vote for Flam and Stavanger, both terrific ports. Hopefully someone from your roll call organizes a group purchase for the Flam railway. You can also take a train/tram tour out of Flam before or after.

For Stavanger, book your own pulpit rock scenic cruise for much less than the cruise line charges. There is also a North Sea oil museum at the port. Both are easy DIY.

Another vote for Stavanger and Flam for all of the reasons others have posted.

The train ride is worth every penny. (And, Norway's prices require many pennies.)

Am seriously considering a Hurtigruten cruise after my visit to Bergan and Stavanger last Summer on the Eurodam. I had forgotten how absolutely beautiful Norway really is. And, the Norwegian people are so friendly and helpful as well!

I just KNEW I could count on great advice from everyone on here. You are all a fount of information, and I appreciate it so much. S and F it is. Have to start the planning immediately.

Thanks also for the info of what to do in these ports. I love the personal tips of things you really liked and also those you would skip the next time around. Norway is too expensive for us to spend money on an excursion that is not top notch. We want to see EVERYTHING, but that may take many cruises and many excursions!!! :D

The other ports (common to both cruises) are Bergen, Geirangerfjord, and Alesund. Would love your tips on what to do in each of these ports also.

You are all the BEST! Can't wait to get more of your great advice.

Barb, last minute trips are the best. Sept. 6 is a perfect Norway trip!

Chris, how we wish we could join you on this cruise. If only----- ! We have a function that we must be at during the time of your cruise. I know y'all are going to have a wonderful time, and fully expect a detailed report on what we should see as well as what we need not spend our money on!

Hi to your sweet DW!

I just KNEW I could count on great advice from everyone on here. You are all a fount of information, and I appreciate it so much. S and F it is. Have to start the planning immediately.

Thanks also for the info of what to do in these ports. I love the personal tips of things you really liked and also those you would skip the next time around. Norway is too expensive for us to spend money on an excursion that is not top notch. We want to see EVERYTHING, but that may take many cruises and many excursions!!! :D

The other ports (common to both cruises) are Bergen, Geirangerfjord, and Alesund. Would love your tips on what to do in each of these ports also.

You are all the BEST! Can't wait to get more of your great advice.

For Geirangerfjord, get up early and enjoy the sail up the fjord. It's GORGEOUS!! We've been there twice. The first time we took a trip up to Dalsnibba, the highest point you can drive to in Norway. Scary switchback roads. The scarier the roads got, the faster the guide told jokes. The second time, we stayed in Geiranger. we stayed in town. There's a nice museum about the history of the fjord. It's an uphill walk, but not too tough unless you have mobility issues. I find that stopping to take a pretty picture is a good way to take a "breather."

Bergen is a lovely city for a stroll. We've been there a few times. One time we took a tour out to Edvard Greig's home. Nice scenery, interesting home, and a small recital hall with fantastic acoustics, where someone played a few of his compositions. It was a half day tour, worth it if you're interested in music.

Alesund is another lovely city for a stroll. Lots of art nouveau architecture. We did that city on our own. We went to an architecture museum in the morning, then hiked up a bazillion steps to a mountaintop park overlooking the city. There's a little tram that will take you up to the park. If you're interested in that, go buy your ticket early. The reason we hiked was that when we went to get tickets after lunch, they were sold out. I have to say, though, the hike made the wildly overpriced Heineken we had at the top worth every kroner!

Even I, who thinks that 9:00 AM is still the middle of the night, was up, dressed, and out aft on the Lido Deck (with a large cup of coffee ;)) the last time I sailed up Geirangerfjord. It was a gorgeous morning! The ride back down that afternoon was in the rain. Totally different experience, and both were lovely rides.

I, too, have been up to Dalnsnibba, and it was a nice ride. There was a good museum up there, which I also found interesting.

Bergen is a great little city, with a lot to offer. If you have no mobility problems, you can walk down to Bryggyn, which was important in the era of the Hanseatic League. Very old buildings there, which are now full of interesting shops (I'm not a shopper, but did enjoy them). There's also a funicullar nearby, which on a good day brings you up the mountain, and offers some lovely views.

I've also been out to Grieg's home, and enjoyed my visit thoroughly.

In Alysund, you dock right in town; it's another enjoyable little city. Very walkable,with interesting architecture. .

My favorite tour there was catamaran ride down the fjord. Such scenery! Wow. It came after a bus ride around town to see the sights. I would love to do that one again.

There is also a nice seaquarium a little outside of town. I thought it worth the visit.

For sure do the lysefjiord cruise from Stavanger. Book it in advance here as the boat fills up. It is so nice and relaxing. We had gorgeous weather so it was super special. And the stop to feed the goats...so fun. We also got to drink the clean clear water fronm one of the many falls.

http://www.rodne.no/sightseeing-en/lysefjord-sightseeing/

You will be back in time to enjoy the city too. It was one of our favorite days.

Agree Bergen was beautiful. And the weather again was perfect. We saw lots of young (gorgeous blond) women with kids in strollers. We found out they were nannies.

Edited by eandj