"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

Thanks for doing this, which will alert more people about what they need to know about making reservations ahead of time (or not). I had already compiled two pages of the menus for my family, excluding all meat dishes, because we are pescetarians (vegetarians who also eat seafood). I hadn't gotten as far as specifying which of the restaurants also serve lunch (and/or breakfast). When I made our reservations on the Oasis for February, I was told that selection of a dining time in the MDR was "closed", and we were assigned to MTD. As word about Dynamic Dining filtered into the threads, I began to wonder if everybody on our cruise was being told the same thing - in anticipation of the introduction of DD, but not wanting to give out any details yet.

When you look at the menus for each restaurant online, click on "Details" at the top, and it tells you the dress code, meals served, and complimentary/price symbols.

I am split in my opinion about DD. I am looking forward to it on the Oasis in May as it does seem to fit with that ship. The Oasis is not a traditional cruising experience in the first place, so this change up does not really bother me. Actually, the MDR seems a bit out of place to me on her, anyway.

As far as Traditional Dining goes, here are my thoughts about it. As these boards have been full of over the last couple of years, TD has been hit or miss for us anyway. Sometimes we get a great wait staff, sometimes not. Sometimes we have had great tablemates, once or twice the tablemates from he!!, and lately, non-existent tablemates who are consistently eating at other venues. It is so inconsistent that DH and I already have decided to book MTD in the future, unless we are traveling with a large group. That way we can switch waiters if we don't like the ones we had and our tablemates could be changing from night to night if we don't have that much in common. We found that we could reserve the same table with the same waiter if we hit on a winner and arrange dining the next night with tablemates who are of a like mind. We loved MTD on our last cruise. While we booked an early dining time pre-cruise almost every night we like the flexibility to book a later time on a late port day. DH does not like to return to the ship and have to rush to get ready for dinner. We never had to wait for our table any night.

We will be back on the Jewel in Oct '15 and since she will not do her drydock until '16 I am assuming she will still be TD & MTD. We are signed up for MTD with my SIL & her DH. I feel that ship is still a traditional cruise experience all around & I am looking forward to eating in her classic dining room once again for our 15 night cruise.

That is how I feel about Oasis, also. (although I have never sailed her! :D) I have looked into many cruises on here, but things have come up and we haven't gotten around to sailing her. With all her entertainment options I think DD fits with her, just like I think it fits with Quantum. They are ships built for flexibility.

What I do not want to see is Royal mess with 10+ year old ships that are perfectly fine IMO, and add DD where it really doesn't need to be implemented. Why add all these flexible restaurants to the Radiance class, for example, where you are getting 2 shows a night and everyone will have to schedule their times around them anyway?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

LOL! Like!

Youve been around a while. You probably remember the group here that vowed "NEVER ON OASIS of THE SEAS" and even had an acronym N.O.O.T.S. for said group. They fussed and fussed and fussed about it. Funny how it seems a large majority of them have went against their word, went on Oasis class and now love those two ships. :o

Some people LOVE to fuss about stuff they really dont know if they will like or not. It reminds me of people that claim they hate cruising yet have never even stepped foot on a cruise ship.

ryano..............I must be one of the last of the group, that, although I sailed on the Allure pre inaugural, I have not been back.

That may change in the future, but as of now, the Oasis Class is still a floating city, even though my favorite captains on are on both ships.

And I'll get a taste of Quantum of the Seas. I'm not against this dining option, and am looking forward to seeing it in action!!:);)

Rick

There seems to be less vegetables as well as only one salad on the menus. Lots of carbs and crusted meats. Also lots of cheese. For someone who eats a plain salad - no dressing or cheese and no cheese dishes or sauces as well as watches carbs, these menus look awful!

I wonder if they will have an every day menu like they currently have that includes shrimp coctail each night as well as some fruit and vegetable appetizers.

My bet is Oasis III is to have DD from Day 1, and this is their trial run to see how that plan will work out. Likely Allure will soon follow.

...but after that I think it's going to get weird. That's a chunk of change to go fixing what's not really broken on 15-year-old ships. We're not just talking new carpet and drapes here.

Agree -- we may start booking older ships -- maybe Vision out of Tampa.

Apparently RCI has decided to implement DD immediately without a testing period or a work out the problems period.

Instead it will be damn the torpedoes full speed ahead and if there are problems oh well it ain't like the diners can go elsewhere

DD is apparently the brainchild of some high up executive and it has been decided their baby will not be denied no matter what the costs!

Agree

I'm really shocked that they are moving forward on other ships without testing it fully on Quantum.

It's a contradiction to what Adam Goldstein stated at the Google hangout.

I would imagine that they anticipate increased revenue via specialty restaurants and a static menu.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I'm shocked too because Adam of what Adam stated.

Mechcc I have to totally agree with you! My daughter and some family members do not eat any seafood either. I wonder if its because they purchase the seafood in plastic packages frozen, you know the type that is from other countries and is cheap to buy in the stores?

sorry, I haven't read through the entire thread, but could somebody please fill me in on when they are going to introduce DD to all of the ships. We are sailing on Voyager for New Year's Eve this year. Will our cruise be affected? Does that mean we should book our dining times early? Can we book them before departure?

Thanks,

Sue

We are sailing on Voyager for New Year's Eve this year. Will our cruise be affected? Does that mean we should book our dining times early? Can we book them before departure?

Thanks,

Sue

Royal has only said Oasis of the Seas will get Quantum style dining at dry dock next month to start in March 2015.

My guess is Voyager will Quantum style dinning modifications in November dry dock to start at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ryano..............I must be one of the last of the group, that, although I sailed on the Allure pre inaugural, I have not been back.

That may change in the future, but as of now, the Oasis Class is still a floating city, even though my favorite captains on are on both ships.

And I'll get a taste of Quantum of the Seas. I'm not against this dining option, and am looking forward to seeing it in action!!:);)

Rick

Actually, by making your decision AFTER you sailed on this class of ship, you are the exact opposite of NOOTS.

You're allowed to dislike things and even have aspects of cruising that completely change which ships your sail. However, have the sense to experience it before you spend hours online ripping it and making mindless statements about how something you've never experienced has ruined cruising for you.

Royal has only said Oasis of the Seas will get Quantum style dining at dry dock next month to start in March 2015.

My guess is Voyager will Quantum style dinning modifications in November dry dock to start at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Makes sense to set up for it but make sure it works on quantum first

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sorry, I haven't read through the entire thread, but could somebody please fill me in on when they are going to introduce DD to all of the ships. We are sailing on Voyager for New Year's Eve this year. Will our cruise be affected? Does that mean we should book our dining times early? Can we book them before departure?

Thanks,

Sue

Royal has not published a schedule of DD deployment. All we know is that Quantum and Anthem get DD from the beginning, and they tell us Oasis gets DD in March.

I am more annoyed than anything at the concept of DD. The menus look good, but it is frustrating that I am eating at different times on my upcoming Quantum cruise. I liked having a dinner time to anchor my schedule. It's not fun to me to have to constantly check online to see if there are cancelations, or that the first moment of our arrival on the ship will likely be spent trying to see if there are openings.

Maybe there is a way to compromise. Maybe ahead of time, cruisers can pick blocks of time that they prefer for dining, and then they can reserve meals during those times. Early diners can be given access only to times from 5:30 - 7:30, and late diners can be given access to times from 7:30-9:30. This way pax have the freedom to choose when they want to eat, but have a better shot of getting the times they want, and avoid the free-for-all.

Maybe there is a way to compromise. Maybe ahead of time, cruisers can pick blocks of time that they prefer for dining, and then they can reserve meals during those times. Early diners can be given access only to times from 5:30 - 7:30, and late diners can be given access to times from 7:30-9:30. This way pax have the freedom to choose when they want to eat, but have a better shot of getting the times they want, and avoid the free-for-all.

Yeah, just drop "Adam" an email, I'm sure he'll make that change straight away. Anyone else have any ideas send them along, I'm sure RCCL is ready and waiting to implement them :)

I guess that's a bit flippant and sarcastic, but after over 300 posts what is left ? :)

All I know is our next two cruises over the next 18 months will be on ships not affected by DD. But it will be entertaining to watch the threads here as things unfold!

Edited by bouhunter

We are booked on the Oasis westbound TA and have been told that Oasis will implement dynamic dining in March 2015. I'm not happy about it but willing to give it a chance since it appears we may have no choice. I do really enjoy the main dining room and meeting new people at dinner. I have been loyal to RCCL for 30 plus years and really don't want to change but sometimes I feel all the old traditions that so enjoy about cruising will soon all be gone. It's sad.

[quote name='springaussie']Royal has only said Oasis of the Seas will get Quantum style dining at dry dock next month to start in March 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

thanks!

Hello:
I have lurked and read the pros and cons of DD. We are booked on Quantum's first Carib. cruise out and I can tell you from our experience and those of the folks traveling with us that DD has been a royal pain.
It appears that you have a choice between dining rooms, but in actuality, you do not. The times for each restaurant are limited. Unless you get really lucky you cannot get in at the time you want because either the website won't allow it or the times available for that restaurant are full. Therefore, you may ask for 6:00pm but may have to settle for as late as 9pm dinner. You may request a certain venue for that evening, but that venue mostly likely is full for that day so you have to chose either Asian or burgers, whatever is open at whatever time there is an opening. I truly fail to see that as a choice!
Moreover, you have to coordinate the dinner time with the shows and once again base that on availability.

It has taken us over 3 mos. working on DD with the RC personnel and we were calling in the first day it was offered. We got on at 9:00am (first day) and were told that almost all our options were not open then. We really were open to getting dressed every night and appearing at the Grande (which I guess was the min dining room.) I, like most of you, just want to go into dinner, relax with my beverage, eat a nice meal while someone other than me, cleans the table and places a napkin on my lap. If I had a big lunch, then I can order a light meal without all the courses. We do not frequent the Windjammer for dinner. That is for port day mornings and snacks.

BTW, we had to settle and never did get our first choice but one night. If that sounds good to you then go for it. We are going because the ship is the destination, I am pretty sure that we will probably be eating out at the specialty restaurants more than usual. I believe that RC is attempting to push more business into these restaurants, after all the revenue would increase.

To be fair, I have read cc posters saying that they got all their requested dinner selections, but I really doubt it judging from our experience.

I just want a vacation, which is what RCI has told me my money will buy!!
C Edited by chiquita cruiser

Having DD gives us more choices and allows us to choose which restaurant/s we want to dine at, choose our time (the 6pm is always too early for us and the 8:30pm is too late and my time dining is very limited to get and filled up fast) and allows us to sit together and not with other people that we may not find to be lets say pleasant or friendly or even may even not speak english. I also feel that we will find the service and food better too. Another thing I am very happy about is getting rid of formal nights and for those who wish to remain to have them there will be a formal dining room available to you. I am so happy that the Oasis is going DD, its a wonderful pleasant change. The only thing I am hoping is that they will accommodate all the dietary needs that people do have.

[quote name='chiquita cruiser']Hello:
I have lurked and read the pros and cons of DD. We are booked on Quantum's first Carib. cruise out and I can tell you from our experience and those of the folks traveling with us that DD has been a royal pain.
It appears that you have a choice between dining rooms, but in actuality, you do not. The times for each restaurant are limited. Unless you get really lucky you cannot get in at the time you want because either the website won't allow it or the times available for that restaurant are full. Therefore, you may ask for 6:00pm but may have to settle for as late as 9pm dinner. You may request a certain venue for that evening, but that venue mostly likely is full for that day so you have to chose either Asian or burgers, whatever is open at whatever time there is an opening. I truly fail to see that as a choice!
Moreover, you have to coordinate the dinner time with the shows and once again base that on availability.

It has taken us over 3 mos. working on DD with the RC personnel and we were calling in the first day it was offered. We got on at 9:00am (first day) and were told that almost all our options were not open then. We really were open to getting dressed every night and appearing at the Grande (which I guess was the min dining room.) I, like most of you, just want to go into dinner, relax with my beverage, eat a nice meal while someone other than me, cleans the table and places a napkin on my lap. If I had a big lunch, then I can order a light meal without all the courses. We do not frequent the Windjammer for dinner. That is for port day mornings and snacks.

BTW, we had to settle and never did get our first choice but one night. If that sounds good to you then go for it. We are going because the ship is the destination, [COLOR=Red]I am pretty sure that we will probably be eating out at the specialty restaurants more than usual.[/COLOR] I believe that RC is attempting to push more business into these restaurants, after all the revenue would increase.

To be fair, I have read cc posters saying that they got all their requested dinner selections, but I really doubt it judging from our experience.

I just want a vacation, which is what RCI has told me my money will buy!!
C[/quote]
Sounds very much like the NCL model.