New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

This will be my first cruise departing from Europe instead of the USA.

My wife and I will be on Nieuw Statendam.

Departing Copenhagen on the 2nd of August.

Yet as I compose this email, WE will be leaving home in a couple of hours to head to the airport.

Only at this last minute did it occur to me to ask this.

Will my Nieuw Statendam stateroom have usb ports so my wife and I can connect our cell phones...charge up the batteries of our cell phones?

I just learned my Denmark hotel does NOT. I need the appropriate converter/adaptor that they will loan us...but we can't bring the hotel's adapter/converter on the ship.

Please advise re. my concern(s).

Thanks!

Steve

40 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Yes

What a relief. Hopefully using USA to Denmark adapters/converters during our 3 nights in our Copenhagen Hotel will not damage our cell phones.

I booked the Best Western Hotel Astoria in Copenhagen. Only last night when I was looking at the photos of the room did it occur to me that in these photos I was not seeing anything modern. No usb ports. Only outlets in the walls.

4 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

What a relief. Hopefully using USA to Denmark adapters/converters during our 3 nights in our Copenhagen Hotel will not damage our cell phones.

I booked the Best Western Hotel Astoria in Copenhagen. Only last night when I was looking at the photos of the room did it occur to me that in these photos I was not seeing anything modern. No usb ports. Only outlets in the walls.

You should not have an issue w/phone damage - I've used converters in other countries (So Africa, EU, UK) and never had an issue.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SSBrickNJ said:

This will be my first cruise departing from Europe instead of the USA.

My wife and I will be on Nieuw Statendam.

Departing Copenhagen on the 2nd of August.

Yet as I compose this email, WE will be leaving home in a couple of hours to head to the airport.

Only at this last minute did it occur to me to ask this.

Will my Nieuw Statendam stateroom have usb ports so my wife and I can connect our cell phones...charge up the batteries of our cell phones?

I just learned my Denmark hotel does NOT. I need the appropriate converter/adaptor that they will loan us...but we can't bring the hotel's adapter/converter on the ship.

Please advise re. my concern(s).

Thanks!

Steve

Yes there will be USB ports an 120v US plugs on the ship, but for us they are never enough so we carry adapters with us that will work in over 100 countries, they are under $20 on Amazon and very small. Most of your electronics that use USB are dual voltage 120/220 volt so all you need is an adapter. The ones we use also have 4 extra USB plugs.  Here is the one we use and they are approved for use on cruise ships. 

image.thumb.png.6cf5631a0f11c71e8f9aea62fed05dc5.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

For a cell phone, all you need is an adapter, not a converter, and there is no need to be concerned over damage. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

For a cell phone, all you need is an adapter, not a converter, and there is no need to be concerned over damage. 

Would you agree that if in Copenhagen Central Train Station complex there is a store that sells post 6157's link example....I should purchase that?

27 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Would you agree that if in Copenhagen Central Train Station complex there is a store that sells post 6157's link example....I should purchase that?

My wife went to Europe with her friend 18 months ago.

She just surprised me by going into the closet and pulling out the appropriate adaptor. 🙂

Leaving home in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

For the purposes of this trip, if the hotel will lend you an adapter, you really don't need to buy one. There will be a USB outlet in your cabin once you board, so one of you can use that to charge one phone while the other can use one of the many US outlets to charge the second one using the phone charging brick.

If your future plans include more international travel, I'd recommend waiting until you get home to buy one. You'll probably pay less and have a much wider selection to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For the purposes of this trip, if the hotel will lend you an adapter, you really don't need to buy one. There will be a USB outlet in your cabin once you board, so one of you can use that to charge one phone while the other can use one of the many US outlets to charge the second one using the phone charging brick.

If your future plans include more international travel, I'd recommend waiting until you get home to buy one. You'll probably pay less and have a much wider selection to choose from.

We will follow your advice. Thanks :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

We will follow your advice. Thanks 🙂

There will be a minimum of two USB ports on the NS and — if memory serves since a few weeks ago — there should be four.  One by each of the nightstands and two over the desk.  Have a fantastic trip!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

There will be a minimum of two USB ports on the NS and — if memory serves since a few weeks ago — there should be four.  One by each of the nightstands and two over the desk.  Have a fantastic trip!

I last sailed on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019, and at that time there were two USB ports, one by the bed and one by the desk. I'd forgotten about the one by the desk until I checked my photos a few minutes ago.  Were you in a suite? Maybe they have the additional ports. If not, maybe they've simply added an extra couple of ports.

In 2019, the ports were USB-A. When you sailed her recently, were any of the four USB-C?

DSC_0628.thumb.jpeg.0803f200bff4af710dc802b04962236e.jpeg

DSC_0627.thumb.jpeg.3829e941f1c85435de614dd46c473a50.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

In 2019, the ports were USB-A. When you sailed her recently, were any of the four USB-C?

My guess is that they're a good few years behind the curve on tech details like that.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Definitely not USB-C’s since that is the connecting size which fits into my iPad and iPhone.  They were USB-A’s and there was one at each of the bedside tables.  (My sister had one and I had one.)  There was at least one more USB-A outlet at the desk, so a minimum count of three.  Sadly, I did not take a pic of the desk outlets so I cannot confirm there were four, but there was definitely three.

7 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Definitely not USB-C’s since that is the connecting size which fits into my iPad and iPhone.  They were USB-A’s and there was one at each of the bedside tables.  (My sister had one and I had one.)  There was at least one more USB-A outlet at the desk, so a minimum count of three.  Sadly, I did not take a pic of the desk outlets so I cannot confirm there were four, but there was definitely three.

USB-C is now common across all mobile platforms, not just IOS. Both of our Android devices also have USB-C charging ports.

9 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

USB-C is now common across all mobile platforms, not just IOS. Both of our Android devices also have USB-C charging ports.

Definitely did not say it was specific to Apple products.

Edited by *Miss G*

37 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Definitely did not say it was specific to Apple products.

But you only mentioned IOS connections as if that was all that was out there. There is a whole other world (i.e. Android) that is interested in the information available.

• Haha 1

We are seasoned cruisers, but first time on HAL, sailing in September.  I have a question about selecting our evening dining time. We prefer traditional dining (same time, table, tablemates every night) if possible rather than 'Anytime' style dining. I have the Navigator app and have found sample menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner (they look wonderful!), but cannot figure out how/where to select a dining time. 

Can anyone tell me how to do this, or can this only be done on board? 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Raisinette said:

We are seasoned cruisers, but first time on HAL, sailing in September.  I have a question about selecting our evening dining time. We prefer traditional dining (same time, table, tablemates every night) if possible rather than 'Anytime' style dining. I have the Navigator app and have found sample menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner (they look wonderful!), but cannot figure out how/where to select a dining time. 

Can anyone tell me how to do this, or can this only be done on board? 

Thanks!

Did you book through a TA or PCC? If so, contact that person, and have your request put in. 
If you booked through HAL (not a PCC), then call in to place the request. 

HAL tends to default to open seating, so that is likely where you have been routed. 
DO NOT wait until you are onboard to take care of this! 

22 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Did you book through a TA or PCC? If so, contact that person, and have your request put in. 
If you booked through HAL (not a PCC), then call in to place the request. 

HAL tends to default to open seating, so that is likely where you have been routed. 
DO NOT wait until you are onboard to take care of this! 

Ruth, thanks so much for the quick reply!  I'll contact our TA.

Regards,

Becky

Hal newbie.  Sailing the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam in a few days (Aug 12).  Several Questions

We have dinner reservations at Pinnacle on sea day at 5:30. Got it thru Costco Travel/HIA deal. I'd like to move the time to later that evening as Mrs Fan wants to go to "high tea".  I'm afraid to cancel and rebook due to the reservation being a credit.  Will I be able to change the seating time once on board?

Does HAL have a lobster night in the MDR?  If so, do they limit you to only 1 tail (like RCL)?

We have just been assigned a 2:10 boarding time in Amsterdam.  Is that pretty much a hard time or do you think we can get on the ship a little earlier - say 12:30 or 1:00ish?

I want to thank everyone on the CC board.  There is so much helpful information shared.

Also, we have recently sailed with RCL and I am so done with them.  I am hoping for a much better experience this sailing on the Rotterdam. 

16 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

Hal newbie.  Sailing the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam in a few days (Aug 12).  Several Questions

We have dinner reservations at Pinnacle on sea day at 5:30. Got it thru Costco Travel/HIA deal. I'd like to move the time to later that evening as Mrs Fan wants to go to "high tea".  I'm afraid to cancel and rebook due to the reservation being a credit.  Will I be able to change the seating time once on board?

Does HAL have a lobster night in the MDR?  If so, do they limit you to only 1 tail (like RCL)?

We have just been assigned a 2:10 boarding time in Amsterdam.  Is that pretty much a hard time or do you think we can get on the ship a little earlier - say 12:30 or 1:00ish?

I want to thank everyone on the CC board.  There is so much helpful information shared.

Also, we have recently sailed with RCL and I am so done with them.  I am hoping for a much better experience this sailing on the Rotterdam. 

Even with the HIA you can go to your online account under manage your cruise and see your booking for Pinnacle grill. You will also be able to see if other times are available to change to. If not once onboard, you can check the Pinnacle grill the first day to make a change to later time.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fsufancc said:

We've cruised HAL 4 times since the unpleasantness including one departure from Amsterdam and we've always arrived early (11amish) even though our boarding times were much later and we've always been welcomed onboard.  Based on our experience, yes, I think you can board earlier. 

Enjoy the cruise and go Noles!

Edited by FlaMariner