New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

MagicBands started out as optional at Disney. Then they did away with the Key To The World Card altogether. Now you have to have MagicBands. How long will the bands be optional at Royal?

That's not true. The bands are now the default, but you can still beg a RFID card upon request.

An example of how using the RFID bracelet to collect data and upcharge - "Dear Mr. jwk2678 based on your past cruising preferences our records indicate you like to eat lunch between 12 and 1230. For a small fee of $10pp we will reserve a table for you during that time" or "based on your past cruising preferences you like to relax in the solarium between 10 and 12. For a fee of $20 we can reserve a chair for you during this time." This isn't paranoia or believeing they want to follow Mr and Mrs Smith around, it is an example of how they can collect and use data that was not previously available without an RFID bracelet. Maybe people like the idea of this but I do not.

Our internet activity is tracked through cookies and RCI has record of every reservation, etc, we make on their website. We then go on Cruise Critic and talk about our upcoming cruises, creating a permanent record of our posts. We drive through license plate readers and traffic cameras on the way to the airport, and pay tolls with autotmatic toll readers. We hit the ATM, creating a record of our withdrawal, along with the video taken of us while making the transaction. On the drive to the airport, XM makes record of the stations listened to in our vehicles, and we get to the airport using installed GPS devices, all the while being tracked by OnStar. At the airport and on the plane, everything we do is tracked and is on camera. We then check in with facial recognition software and get our photo taken by RCI, creating a permanent record. Our border crossing and claims are permanently recorded in a CBP database.

But don't you dare try to figure out what time I'm walking into the Windjammer!!!!

:rolleyes:;)

I agree. Wouldn't want to wear that thing

I agree. I don't like wearing stuff like that. I don't even like wearing the wrist band for the water taxi in St. Maarten but I put up with it for a few hours. When I get back on the ship after my last ride on the taxi the first thing I do is rip the thing off.

Well if this is the "wave" of the future its probably the end of a LONG cruise career for us I hate things on my wrist and to have to spend a week walking around with that flopping around on my wrist count me out.

Well if this is the "wave" of the future its probably the end of a LONG cruise career for us I hate things on my wrist and to have to spend a week walking around with that flopping around on my wrist count me out.

It is optional. You may continue to obtain and use a SeaPass card instead if you don't want the band.

Sounds like a great idea to me! I hate going to the pool and have to carry that seapass card. Where do I put it ?? Have to carry a big to put it in. This way I can just go with a towel and Im set. Nothing says you have to wear the wristband all the time. Put it on a lanyard or in your purse if you prefer. We use these sometimes on bike rides and Ive seen men carry them by putting them on their belt. Still has easy access to swipe :p

What is "Easy Pass"?

"Easy Pass" is a system that provides you with a ID tags on the windshield and seamlessly tracks your toll costs between points, including bridges and tunnels. Used it for long term parking at Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airport for lots owned by the NYNJ Port Authority. Tolls are tracked and funded via a credit card. Used (?) mostly in the NE and mid-Atlantic. I believe there something like in Florida called "Sunshine ?"

Used the ones at Disney and liked them, useful for doing fastpasses for different rides, etc.

Not sure how much benefit I would see from a wristband vs a card since most thing on the ship are already included so I don't spend a lot of time digging around for my card.

Kind of a minor deal either way for me, seems like a ton of money invested that could have gone for much better value on the RCI side (like a website that works?)

I don't have a strong feeling against them, especially since I can use a card instead if I choose.

What I do think about though is the extra amount of landfill these will create. Plenty more plastic being discarded. It would be nice if frequent cruisers could have them reprogrammed for use on future cruises.

So I need to remember to "forget" to tap off and hope the next player doesn't tap on ;)

Pure speculation, but I would think it would time out quickly and only stay active to add value to the machine, then time off and it would assume you are the one playing until it runs out/cashes out, or you tap out.

1. Why don't you like being tracked via RFID? They can track you via face recognition through the cameras. What's the difference? Isn't the ability to reduce wait times and improve traffic flow, worth a little extra tracking?

2. Or, you could just take the bracelets off before taking pictures. Or, you could edit the pictures.

3. What would prevent you from keeping it in your pocket, just like you did with the SeaPass?

Editing out the bracelets w/ Photoshop would be a huge hassle.

Men usually wear jackets to formal night, so his bracelet is covered. Position the lady so her arm is around her partner's waist, and thus the horrid wristband is hidden behind his back. That's what I do with my DH, he's a little conscious of his partially handicapped arm. Don't count on the ship's photographers to remind you of the wrist bands.

As long as they don't give me contact dermatitis, I'm good. If I get dermatitis, I hope they'll let me change to a seapass mid-cruise.

Edited by knittinggirl

Why bother with the RFID bracelet? Just implant a chip and be done with it. No need to carry around a card or wear a band.:rolleyes:

Here's what the Disney one looks like:

img_5978.jpg

Beleive it or not, some people do implant chips in their hands to gain electronic access to their house, cars, etc.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/13/want-an-rfid-chip-implanted-into-your-hand-heres-what-the-diy-surgery-looks-like-video/

Our internet activity is tracked through cookies and RCI has record of every reservation, etc, we make on their website. We then go on Cruise Critic and talk about our upcoming cruises, creating a permanent record of our posts. We drive through license plate readers and traffic cameras on the way to the airport, and pay tolls with autotmatic toll readers. We hit the ATM, creating a record of our withdrawal, along with the video taken of us while making the transaction. On the drive to the airport, XM makes record of the stations listened to in our vehicles, and we get to the airport using installed GPS devices, all the while being tracked by OnStar. At the airport and on the plane, everything we do is tracked and is on camera. We then check in with facial recognition software and get our photo taken by RCI, creating a permanent record. Our border crossing and claims are permanently recorded in a CBP database.

But don't you dare try to figure out what time I'm walking into the Windjammer!!!!

:rolleyes:;)

And you did not even mention our Smart Phones! :eek:

Hey All,

Dont see a post on it yet, but I just saw the new magic bands are coming...you will be able to upload a picture online, and it will replace your seapass for purchases and room key...THIS IS AWESOME technology, im kinda excited!!!!

RFID Bracelet

There is a nominal fee for the bracelet. If you don't want the bracelet you can have the traditional SeaPass card.

I agree. I don't like wearing stuff like that. I don't even like wearing the wrist band for the water taxi in St. Maarten but I put up with it for a few hours. When I get back on the ship after my last ride on the taxi the first thing I do is rip the thing off.

Same here, I really don't want to have one of these. Plus someone mentioned a fee (albeit probably small) to have one of these so it's just another reason for me not to.

Edited by joepeka

As long as we can still just use the sea pass card I am happy. Will not use any of the new items that I know of unless you have to. I do not have any portable devices or know how to use them so I am fine with the changes. As long as I can still talk to a person to order dinner and maybe a drink I am happy.

Do they also come in black for formal night? ;-)

Honestly, why would an adult, not hospitalized, would want to wear a RCI wristband for the duration of a cruise? Might help if you get lost on Barbados for locals to figure out where you belong to, but other than that, I would not be thrilled about wearing a big blue wristband for days or even weeks.

Not thrilled here!

Who says you have to put in on the wrist. Maybe you carry it on your lanyard.

I can just imagine the threads about that idea

Here is what Royal Caribbean's MagicBand knockoff will look like:

wow-band-bg.jpg

Does anyone know what information will be on the outside of the wristband?

The see pass has Sail date, Ship, Dining room, Seating time & table #, Folio#, room # w/o deck, and C & A status. I do see the Muster station in the photo.