Men: How Many Suitcases?

zlato

Wife and I have been on many cruises; however, we will be cruising for the first time with Celebrity at the end of September on back2back cruises for a total of 26 days. We will be cruising from cool to warm climates. I do plan to bring my tux, a suit, and at least one blazer in addition to shirts, trousers, etc. In the past my wife and I have EACH traveled with

two full size suit cases; i.e., 4 suitcases plus two carry-ons. We are getting to an age, however, when this is becoming a bit cumbersome. Given your experiences with Celebrity Cruise Lines, how many different changes of clothing is standard on the Infinity? I am not concerned about airline restrictions due to our flight status. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 medium case and 1 carryon for each. This is for trips of over 10 days (up to 70 days which we have done). Shorter trips, 1 medium case and 2 carryons, total.

Got over the overdressing many cruises ago. Now carry 1 set of clothing for "formal" nights, no suits, no blazers. Wife has lots of interchangeable outfits. Overpacking got really old very fast, especially doing long trips.

My DH rents a tux or brings a suit but not both. If we are in Aqua he occasionally skips both the tux and suit and just brings a sport jacket as Blu is smart casual.

We recently returned from 28 nights. He rented a tux & didn't bring a suit or sport jacket. For the 2 of us we had 1 large suitcase, 1 rolling garment bag, a 20"roll aboard & a small backpack.

We usually travel with one checked bag and one carry-on. My carry-on is a photo backpack because I have to overload myself with cameras, lenses, reader, chargers, etc. If it doesn't fit in the suitcase that I'm packing, then I really won't need it on the ship.

Ed

You don't need both a tux and a suit. Just carry a suit for the formal nights. That is what most men wear. We carry 1 checked bag for the 2 of us. One roller carry on and one small carry on. We are elite so get free laundry which we use.

We do one rolling garment bag for tux/shoes, sports coat, slacks, shirts & my gowns, dresses and evening shoes. One large suitcase for day wear, and 2 carry ons, one with clothing & one with jewelry, meds & electronics.

My DH brings a tux & sports coat but no suit. We do use the laundry on the ship.

Mary Lou

Here is how I pack: select the luggage (usually 1 suitcase, sometimes a carry-on but now usually that's a small backpack), then I bring only what will fit in said luggage. You can do both the tux and suit + blazer in 1 suitcase +carry-on - wear the blazer on the plane, plan on having laundry done on the ship.

Wife and I have been on many cruises; however, we will be cruising for the first time with Celebrity at the end of September on back2back cruises for a total of 26 days. We will be cruising from cool to warm climates. I do plan to bring my tux, a suit, and at least one blazer in addition to shirts, trousers, etc. In the past my wife and I have EACH traveled with

two full size suit cases; i.e., 4 suitcases plus two carry-ons. We are getting to an age, however, when this is becoming a bit cumbersome. Given your experiences with Celebrity Cruise Lines, how many different changes of clothing is standard on the Infinity? I am not concerned about airline restrictions due to our flight status. Any advice would be appreciated.

We, two men, say you're taking too many clothes especially formal wear. Now we admit that the longest cruise we've ever taken was 17 days but regardless of the days, we always travel with one large suit case each and one carry on each. We use to just each take a tuxedo but the dress code on all cruise lines has changed to the point where we now just each take a suit or just dress slacks and a sports coat for 'dress up nights." :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

Mr Sloop and I have never travelled with more than a Full Size Suitcase & a Carry On each (unless it is a vacation that is tied to a Special Occasion or a Particular Theme... Ie Wedding, Christmas, Golf Holiday... In which case there might be an additional item or two... Such as Presents, Golf Clubs etc)

We don't pack particularly light... Just well.

Be it for a weekend away, or a month or more.

We try to keep our clothing choices in a coordinated range of colours, so mixing & matching is easy (ie Navy, White, Black, Tan) with pops of Colour in accessories... Ties, scarves, wraps, socks, jewellery

And we plan on doing laundry at least once every 10 days.

Haven't done a cruise longer than a week... But have done a cruise as part of a much longer land based vacation. And we did utilize the Ship's Laundry towards the end for a few items Judy to keep us going... Until the next land based spot where we'd be for more than one night... And able to fit in a visit to a Laundromat.

Personally, I think you are packing too much in the way of "dressy" clothes. I say go with the Tux or the Suit... Don't need both. And the Blazer, well that is up to you... Probably nice to have if your choice is to bring along the tux

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ps... If you are in a cool climate and looking for something to up your smart casual attire... I say opt for a lightweight sweater.

We pack exactly the same as you do, 2lg. Suitcases or rolling garment bags each and a carry-on each. My husband HATES moving luggage around but that's what porters are for! We do enjoy bringing our dressy/formal clothes and having options. And we have laundry done on the ship so we don't come home with too many dirty clothes.

The most we take for three or four weeks is a large suitcase each, a carry-on each and laptop bag or similar. If we were cruising for a longer period, we would simply avail ourselves of the laundry facilities on board, which we do anyway on any cruise longer than a week.

I personally wouldn't take a suit and a tux and a blazer. While it's nice to have all those options at home, two of the three is a good compromise at sea, and I've only taken the blazer on occasion. For better or worse, more formal attire is becoming less predominant in recent years and I don't feel under-dressed in a blazer and tie.

I have 3 suitcases - large, medium, small - they chain together with a luggage strap through their top handles to form a nice rolling train and then I have a small carry on. The three suitcases fit inside each other ala russian doll style for storage. This means that my evening wear isnt tightly packed and within a few hours hanging in the closet most of the packing wrinkles have gone.

You don't need more than a check-in suitcase and a wheeled carry on each. Then you can each wheel your own stuff. If you absolutely need an extra piece, use a large cross-body bag or a very lightweight backpack so you still can be independent and take your own. But you shouldn't need that.

Definitely you're taking far too many dressy evening jackets. Pick one - the suit. Bring a couple pants for dinner that work with a couple long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. Bottom line, don't think of it as a 26 day trip. Think of it as a 7 day trip where you need to layer through a couple seasons. And then repeat it and mix match it every week, taking advantage of the laundry on board and perhaps in-between cruises in port.

You'll need a medium jacket - I suggest something waterproof like a Gore Tex type with a hood. We never go anywhere without ours and they are light and pack very small. Bring a long sleeve shirt or two for day wear and some short sleeve. A light sweater if that's your style. You can wear some of this on the plane or carry it on your arm or over your suitcase. Layering will be your key here since you're traveling cool to warm. We typically take 14 day cruises and this list is what we do. We have laundry done and if we are on a back-to-back we just repeat it. In other words, pack for about 7 or 8 days, not 26. Just repeat things and keep to a general color scheme so day wear and evening wear can work together. And remember you can always purchase a tee or a shirt on the ship or in port. I switch things around with jewelry and scarves, etc. I typically do things in a general color scheme and neutrals and take more solids than prints to mix match better.

Plan to send out to the laundry about every 6 days and hand wash some things.

If you're getting to port a day or so ahead of time you can always purchase some last minute personal care products or other things you may need.

Bring one pair of shoes for evening and leave those shiny tux shoes at home. No one looks at your feet anyway! A pair of shoes for walking in port and for the ship. My husband brings maybe 3 including tennis shoes. And we put socks and belts and other things inside the shoes. He puts one in his carry on to free up suitcase space, wears one and has one in the case. He's not a sandal or flip flop guy ---

What we always seem to have trouble paring down is the stuff in our carry-ons!

We take camera and equipment, computer stuff, medicines, e-readers, and assorted things we like to have with us. And we like to leave room for "souvenirs."

Have a great time.

You don't need more than a check-in suitcase and a wheeled carry on each. Then you can each wheel your own stuff. If you absolutely need an extra piece, use a large cross-body bag or a very lightweight backpack so you still can be independent and take your own. But you shouldn't need that.

Definitely you're taking far too many dressy evening jackets. Pick one - the suit. Bring a couple pants for dinner that work with a couple long sleeve and short sleeve shirts. Bottom line, don't think of it as a 26 day trip. Think of it as a 7 day trip where you need to layer through a couple seasons. And then repeat it and mix match it every week, taking advantage of the laundry on board and perhaps in-between cruises in port.

You'll need a medium jacket - I suggest something waterproof like a Gore Tex type with a hood. We never go anywhere without ours and they are light and pack very small. Bring a long sleeve shirt or two for day wear and some short sleeve. A light sweater if that's your style. You can wear some of this on the plane or carry it on your arm or over your suitcase. Layering will be your key here since you're traveling cool to warm. We typically take 14 day cruises and this list is what we do. We have laundry done and if we are on a back-to-back we just repeat it. In other words, pack for about 7 or 8 days, not 26. Just repeat things and keep to a general color scheme so day wear and evening wear can work together. And remember you can always purchase a tee or a shirt on the ship or in port. I switch things around with jewelry and scarves, etc. I typically do things in a general color scheme and neutrals and take more solids than prints to mix match better.

Plan to send out to the laundry about every 6 days and hand wash some things.

If you're getting to port a day or so ahead of time you can always purchase some last minute personal care products or other things you may need.

Bring one pair of shoes for evening and leave those shiny tux shoes at home. No one looks at your feet anyway! A pair of shoes for walking in port and for the ship. My husband brings maybe 3 including tennis shoes. And we put socks and belts and other things inside the shoes. He puts one in his carry on to free up suitcase space, wears one and has one in the case. He's not a sandal or flip flop guy ---

What we always seem to have trouble paring down is the stuff in our carry-ons!

We take camera and equipment, computer stuff, medicines, e-readers, and assorted things we like to have with us. And we like to leave room for "souvenirs."

Have a great time.

Great post !!

You & I pack virtually the same.

These days we find it is our Carry On list that is becoming the most overwhelming with all the "niceties" in life we bring along... Cameras, Video, Cell Phones, iPad etc. Not to mention the regular stuff like ID, Travel Docs, Meds, and those required 2 Bottles of Wine !!

Actually we've found that the iPad is the one multi-purpose item that is worth it's price in gold.... Good for Email / Internet - Computer Data (copies of Travel Docs) - Maps - Photo Display / Back up - E Reader - Video Games - Movie & Tv Terminal - MP3 Player - Camera & Video Recorder. Does more and is tons smaller than the laptop we hauled around previously. Great investment.

Cheers!

After having posted an answer earlier today, I realized that the OP likes to dress in a certain manner when he cruises. My husband and I have similar opinions, however we don't feel the need to tell others that they "should" or will "need" more or less. Even though he asked the question about how much luggage others cruise with, I find it funny that some posters are telling him what he really "needs" to take. It's almost morphing into a dress code thread. Everyone will decide what type of clothing they want to wear and then pack accordingly, whether they want to travel with nothing but a carry-on or whether they will be using more pieces.

Edited by Truffle

The vast majority of cruises I do are part of a bigger trip so I like to travel light. A small suitcase and a day pack for me. I would take a bigger bag but it would just end up getting filled up with my wife's shopping (who takes a full-size suitcase).

I wouldn't call myself a backpacker but philosophically I have more in common with them than with cruiseaholics. I'm astonished than anyone would need any more than one suitcase, particularly a man.

Thanks to all for sharing thoughts and helpful advice. Although I am not certain about the differing "philosophies" between backpackers and those who prefer a cruise holiday, I probably do tend to over pack. I also admit that I rarely wear casual clothing when traveling, including holidays. Heck, I do not even own a pair of blue jeans. Given that wife and I will also have a four day pre cruise stay in London prior to 26 cruise days, we also need the appropriate clothing for eating in hotels, etc. I will make a serious attempt to pack more efficiently (mix and match); however, this will be a departure from my previous behavior. I will bring my tux, wear a blazer on the plane to London, and maybe ditch the suit. Maybe I need to join a support group for clothing snobs like me? Help!

I am allowed one suitcase only. I need free hands to carry Wife's 2nd and her carry on. :rolleyes:

I take two large suitcases and a carry on and I handle my own. I just put the carry on on top of one of the large ones and roll them. I have no problem doing this and I'm seventy years old.