Hals New Formal Night Policy

tgetz

Just thinking.....

If it's "OK" for the gents to wear the same dinner jacket, satin stripe trousers, formal shirt for each formal nite on a given cruise, why must we ladies have 2 or 4 or 8 different outfits ? I love formal nights -- but I think I'm going to get much more creative about my one basic long black -- and easy to pack accessories!

No one cares if you wear the same dress. With all respect, most probably wouldn't even notice. Unless something we wear is so outrageous or so stunning it really stands out, we probably have no idea what a lady wore the previous formal night. :D Basic black can always be changed up with bling/accessories.

Definitely a step in the right direction. I would much rather have seen cruises of 7 days or less with just 1 formal night. I hope that with time, this will happen.

If they reduce it to one formal night, even more people will stop going to MDR as they won't bring jacket, tie, dress shirt etc for one night. I suspect there will be too many for Lido to handle seeing the staff is needed in MDR. They won't know how many won't be coming to MDR.

Edited by sail7seas

No one cares if you wear the same dress. With all respect, most probably wouldn't even notice. Unless something we wear is so outrageous or so stunning it really stands out, we probably have no idea what a lady wore the previous formal night. :D Basic black can always be changed up with bling/accessories.

Couldn't agree more! I do like to have a different outfit each night, but for a long cruise I will re-wear formal evening outfits and I can get a lot of mileage out of a classic LBD for the nonformal evenings.

I do remember one time when I noticed that a woman wore the same dress more than once. She sat at our table on a Caribbean cruise. She wore a simple black sheath several times, each time with different accessories. This sticks in my memory after many years because she accessorized so well. The dress was like a blank canvas for her wonderful "arty" jewelry and scarves. I didn't think OMG, she's wearing that dress again. I thought, WOW she is clever!

Couldn't agree more! I do like to have a different outfit each night, but for a long cruise I will re-wear formal evening outfits and I can get a lot of mileage out of a classic LBD for the nonformal evenings.

I do remember one time when I noticed that a woman wore the same dress more than once. She sat at our table on a Caribbean cruise. She wore a simple black sheath several times, each time with different accessories. This sticks in my memory after many years because she accessorized so well. The dress was like a blank canvas for her wonderful "arty" jewelry and scarves. I didn't think OMG, she's wearing that dress again. I thought, WOW she is clever!

Always smile when I see women talking about wearing the same outfits more then once. What do you think happens on longer cruises (we are talking 6-20 weeks? When you have more then a dozen formal nights on a single cruise it would be difficult to have a different outfit each night! But we do know about one woman who, when taking a World Cruise on Cunard booked 2 cabins. One was for her and her husband, and the adjoining cabin was to store all of her clothes.

Hank

I thought formal night decisions were made by the Hotel Director on the ship. As others have said the documents say one thing and when you get on the ship, sometimes it is different from what the documents indicated.

When we did the last week in Alaska, we tacked on the short run to San Francisco. Our docs said there would be a formal night on the way to SF. People who booked only the short cruise were told all casual nights. When the daily program said it would be a formal night, there were lots of "nobody told me" complaints. I can't blame them. I'd be annoyed if I had been told no formals and then suddenly there was a formal night for which I was unprepared.

The solution was to go formal optional. But when the CD made the announcement, he made it sound like "come as you are." So a few passengers showed up at dinner in daytime casual and were turned away. I recall seeing one man in cargo shorts and a Grateful Dead t-shirt denied access. According to HAL's dress codes for formal and casual, that was right. But I can see how the man got the impression he could wear anything at all because the CD's announcement was so confusing.

Why can't HAL get themselves organized?!?!?

Always smile when I see women talking about wearing the same outfits more then once. What do you think happens on longer cruises (we are talking 6-20 weeks? When you have more then a dozen formal nights on a single cruise it would be difficult to have a different outfit each night! But we do know about one woman who, when taking a World Cruise on Cunard booked 2 cabins. One was for her and her husband, and the adjoining cabin was to store all of her clothes.

Hank

Ooh, now that's the way to travel! Of course, I'd want a ladies maid to take care of all my posh frocks. :D

Just thinking.....

If it's "OK" for the gents to wear the same dinner jacket, satin stripe trousers, formal shirt for each formal nite on a given cruise, why must we ladies have 2 or 4 or 8 different outfits ? I love formal nights -- but I think I'm going to get much more creative about my one basic long black -- and easy to pack accessories!

I will have a 25 day cruise and NO formal clothes - I don't wear dresses - so Downton Abbey. BTW that was last century.

BTW on my last HAL cruise I was the only lady wearing a dress at a Captain's cocktail party. After that no more dresses for me.

I was flamed on cc - people didn't believe me when I commented on it.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I thought formal night decisions were made by the Hotel Director on the ship. As others have said the documents say one thing and when you get on the ship, sometimes it is different from what the documents indicated.

Exactly. And one blanket rule cannot cover every cruise, as some are very port intensive with not as many opportunities for formal nights.

It seems that most of our cruise documents have said one thing and we found out onboard something completely different. And that was before this news of a change in policy! It does appear to be a turn for fewer formal nights overall though.

Always smile when I see women talking about wearing the same outfits more then once. What do you think happens on longer cruises (we are talking 6-20 weeks? When you have more then a dozen formal nights on a single cruise it would be difficult to have a different outfit each night!

Hank

In the passing, I will note that on a 64 day cruise the lady at the table behind us wore a different dress EVERY Formal Night. Maybe the shoes were repeats, maybe the purse..... It was fascinating, let me tell you, to see if she was going to start repeating.

On another cruise, 21 days, EVERY night (not just Formal Nights) a lady near us wore a different outfit, complete with different shoes and purses and jewelry. After a few days I thought, "here we go again".

I love cruising!!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

In the passing, I will note that on a 64 day cruise the lady at the table behind us wore a different dress EVERY Formal Night. Maybe the shoes were repeats, maybe the purse..... It was fasinating, let me tell you, to see if she was going to start repeating.

On another cruise, 21 days, EVERY night (not just Formal Nights) a lady near us wore a different outfit, complete with different shoes and purses and jewelry. After a few days I thought, "here we go again".

I love cruising!!!

ha! ha!

You should have seen a Lady on the Maasdam. We were only on 14 days but she was staying on longer. She wore a different outfit for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. I kid you not. She was a tad overdressed at times but I have to say that she certainly stood out. We watched for her constantly to see what she was wearing next. I'm guessing she spent more time in her cabin getting changed, deciding and 'touching up' than anywhere else ;)

They had brought a LOT of suitcases. I'm guessing that's why the had a Neptune Suite;):D

Just downloaded our doc's for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise of 17 days. Says 3 formal nights. I also agree with what was posted earlier regarding the Lido, seems to be getting more and more crowded on formal nights? You can just guess why I know that?:rolleyes:

ha! ha!

You should have seen a Lady on the Maasdam. We were only on 14 days but she was staying on longer. She wore a different outfit for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. I kid you not. She was a tad overdressed at times but I have to say that she certainly stood out. We watched for her constantly to see what she was wearing next. I'm guessing she spent more time in her cabin getting changed, deciding and 'touching up' than anywhere else ;)

They had brought a LOT of suitcases. I'm guessing that's why the had a Neptune Suite;):D

WOW!! Thanks for posting this! Isn't it wonderful to see something that makes people happy?

Never seen anyone quite like that. There was the couple who dressed the same during the day: same top and slacks, different ones every day. We were extremely disappointed never to see them in the evening to see how that worked!!

Too funny that you all noticed that someone changed outfits for every formal night. I normally take enough to have something different for every formal night and for sure every casual night. I love dressing up. But on the upcoming trip I was thinking of repeating since no one would notice, but I guess some would. I do repeat some purses and some shoes but never ever the jewelry.. :-)

Thanks Hank. Not concerned at all. Formal nights are not an issue for us.:D

Just want to avoid packing too much. Last time our 8 was reduced to 6 if memory serves. I suspect my friend who is on the Same. Cruise but booked as a b2b who has been told 6 has the right number;)

I think he meant "thirty days hath September........":D

Too funny that you all noticed that someone changed outfits for every formal night. I normally take enough to have something different for every formal night and for sure every casual night. I love dressing up. But on the upcoming trip I was thinking of repeating since no one would notice, but I guess some would. I do repeat some purses and some shoes but never ever the jewelry.. :-)

I love clothes, so I do notice a nice outfit and the accessories.

I get rid of the purse and take 2 - 3 pairs of dress shoes and a several repeatable (=goes with everything) pieces of jewelry.

I repeat 2 -3 formal and 5 -6 informal dinner outfits!! Shocking, indeed, and I am sure everyone notices!!

I know it is very odd in this day and age to take several purses, but I like pretty purses and I use them to pack the jewelry. What is odd, but I never said I wasn't odd, I rarely if ever change purses at home. I am also odd in that I have a chart of outfits and what goes with what and what purse or shoe or jewelry. I normally, also, on my itinerary list code what I will wear each day and mark each outfit as I pack it as to what day I will wear it. Of course, there are always last minute changes, but as much as I love dressing up, I hate deciding what I am going to wear each day. I know, I know, I am very strange- my children tell me that and my friends and husband confirm it. They call me the "bag" lady because I pack everything in Ziploc baggies and I write what goes with them or what day or evening I am wearing them on the bag.. I know it sounds like I have way too much time on my hands. But I don't watch TV at all, like never. I don't even know how to turn ours on, so this is what I do in the evenings before a cruise instead of reading. Each of us has an oddity, I just have several... Not even get me started on the info I have on my itinerary sheets. IT is way too much info, but I love the planning almost more than the cruise. I said almost....I'm not that odd. :-)

I know it is very odd in this day and age to take several purses, but I like pretty purses and I use them to pack the jewelry. What is odd, but I never said I wasn't odd, I rarely if ever change purses at home. I am also odd in that I have a chart of outfits and what goes with what and what purse or shoe or jewelry. I normally, also, on my itinerary list code what I will wear each day and mark each outfit as I pack it as to what day I will wear it. Of course, there are always last minute changes, but as much as I love dressing up, I hate deciding what I am going to wear each day. I know, I know, I am very strange- my children tell me that and my friends and husband confirm it. They call me the "bag" lady because I pack everything in Ziploc baggies and I write what goes with them or what day or evening I am wearing them on the bag.. I know it sounds like I have way too much time on my hands. But I don't watch TV at all, like never. I don't even know how to turn ours on, so this is what I do in the evenings before a cruise instead of reading. Each of us has an oddity, I just have several... Not even get me started on the info I have on my itinerary sheets. IT is way too much info, but I love the planning almost more than the cruise. I said almost....I'm not that odd. :-)

OMG, are you my long-lost twin?????

I do a detailed itinerary and also make lists. Our longest cruise was 22 days and I knew I'd wear some things more than once, but change accessories. So I made a chart of the combinations and crossed them off as I wore them. (I didn't pre-assign dates to outfits) I guess it's silly, I mean if I couldn't remember what I wore, nobody else was likely to. But I don't like to wear an exact same outfit twice. I kept that file on my computer, which turned out to be useful because now I know what jewelry goes with what dress.

And I love ziplock baggies. The 2-gal ones are fantastic as packing bags.

well my mother was adopted... so you never know :-)

Ok, on my itinerary, I have the estimated high and low temperatures, the time difference from at home, what ships will also be in port and their passenger count, of course the times we are in port or a sea day, the guide we have hired and how to phone them and if we have to pay by cash check or credit card, the type of currency we will need, as well as the out fit.

The outfit, Jewelry, shoe, and purse and where I packed the jewelry , is on another 'outfit' list. I do keep the lists so I know what goes with what.

And I really do have a life... I help my husband at work, we play a lot of bridge and entertain, often, and up until a few months ago, we have been raising our grandchildren for the past 7 years. They have just turned 13 and 15 and I still help a lot with running them here and there to sporting events and practices and doctor and dentist appointments. But we still cruised and took them with us. I didn't list their outfits, but I did pack a pant and three shirts for them in one Ziploc baggie. I told you I am nuts.... They say I should have bought stock in the Ziploc company.

well my mother was adopted... so you never know :-)

Ok, on my itinerary, I have the estimated high and low temperatures, the time difference from at home, what ships will also be in port and their passenger count, of course the times we are in port or a sea day, the guide we have hired and how to phone them and if we have to pay by cash check or credit card, the type of currency we will need, as well as the out fit.

The outfit, Jewelry, shoe, and purse and where I packed the jewelry , is on another 'outfit' list. I do keep the lists so I know what goes with what.

And I really do have a life... I help my husband at work, we play a lot of bridge and entertain, often, and up until a few months ago, we have been raising our grandchildren for the past 7 years. They have just turned 13 and 15 and I still help a lot with running them here and there to sporting events and practices and doctor and dentist appointments. But we still cruised and took them with us. I didn't list their outfits, but I did pack a pant and three shirts for them in one Ziploc baggie. I told you I am nuts.... They say I should have bought stock in the Ziploc company.

My itinerary is fairly similar to yours. I do the estimated temps, also sunrise and sunset times. I don't list clothing on the itinerary. I sometimes list other ships in port, but don't look up the passenger count.

well I see I need to add sunrise and sunset... :-) Seriously you are making me feel really good about my attention to details...

Maybe someday we will meet on a cruise...I usually do sign up for the meet and greets...