How About Wearing Socks with Sandals?

Chelly

According to the LA Times, wearing socks with sandals is fashionable.

Wearing socks with sandals is suddenly fashionable

The much-derided combination of socks with sandals is trending with celebrities, fashion industry insiders and street style stars.

April 05, 2014|By Melissa Magsaysay

Socks with sandals? Only if you're fashionable. (Getty Images, Getty Images )

The combination of sandals and socks has long been seen as a major footwear faux pas.

And, as recently as last year when British department store Debenhams polled 1,500 customers on what they felt was the most egregious of all fashion offenses, sandals with socks ranked No. 1 — beating out platform shoes for men and scrunchies.

But proving that fashion is often wildly unpredictable, wearing sandals with socks is no longer a fashion misstep. This season, it's suddenly a trend embraced by celebrities and fashion industry insiders who are pairing their Birkenstocks, clogs and even open-toed high-heel sandals with ankle-length socks.

Recently, the Row designers Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wore matching black and gold Birkenstock sandals with pristine white socks while walking through an airport. Fashion editors and street style stars have been seen pairing metallic and bejeweled Birkenstocks with scrunched heather gray socks, perhaps as a comfy and fashion-forward way to transition footwear from winter to spring.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/05/image/la-ig-socks-20140406

Socks with sandals is still considered one of the top fashion faux pas ever. It even beats out white sneakers with velcro, denim on denim, leggings worn as pants, anything lululemon, mullet dresses, and anything that is "skinny look" and actually looks like it shrunk in the laundry.

You forgot brown shoes with a blue suit (Ugh) and 'brown shoes should never be worn in town'.:rolleyes:

Friends don't let friends wear socks with sandals. Seriously. No socks with boat shoes, either. Please. But on the other hand, nothing is worse than a gentleman of a certain age (and they're ALWAYS of a "certain age") wearing calf-legth black dress socks with sandals and Bermuda shorts.

Totally agree. Not that anyone ever listens to me!:)

I just happen to be on your cruise Chelly and I will play the part of the fashion police. :D Me, myself & I don't even own a pair of sandals. I could cut out the toes to my tennieboots. Will that work? :eek:

Cut the toes of your tennieboots? You'd do that for me? OK, but you'd better be wearing fun socks!

Friends don't let friends wear socks with sandals. Seriously. No socks with boat shoes, either. Please. But on the other hand, nothing is worse than a gentleman of a certain age (and they're ALWAYS of a "certain age") wearing calf-legth black dress socks with sandals and Bermuda shorts.

:D If wearing calf-length black dress socks with sandals is the worst that man of a certain age did during his lifetime, he led a pretty great life. ;)

OP...... wear what you want.

Given the condition our sad world is in right now, these fashion issues seem so trivial. A beheaded man was buried today by his grieving family..... who cares if he wore or didn't wear black socks with sandals.

Edited by sail7seas

I sometimes wear colorful footies with my sandals ... and could not care less about what anyone else thinks.

However, I have seen at least two articles in the last few months stating that this can now be considered a fashionable look

Socks must always be worn with Bermuda shorts, because they are worn with dress shoes and a coat and tie.

Bermuda shorts are quite specifically short trousers worn with business attire.

(Fun fact: they are also the National Dress of Bermuda, and hence the only short trousers that may be worn in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel in Hongkong.)

The Peninsula perhaps, but at the Bar and Billiard Room at Raffles in Singapore

Bermuda shorts are not acceptable - nor, for that matter, are sandals.

The thread questioning wearing white after Labor Day brought to mind this:

Is it still considered gauche to wear socks with sandals on a cruise?

Sometimes I wear colorful, flashy socks with my sandals....just for fun!:)

Europeans wear those all the time! ;)

According to the LA Times, wearing socks with sandals is fashionable.

<snip>

Recently, the Row designers Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wore matching black and gold Birkenstock sandals with pristine white socks while walking through an airport. Fashion editors and street style stars have been seen pairing metallic and bejeweled Birkenstocks with scrunched heather gray socks, perhaps as a comfy and fashion-forward way to transition footwear from winter to spring.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/05/image/la-ig-socks-20140406

Well......... if it is fashion okay for the Godmothers of Holland America's ms Zaandam, I guess it's good enough for us HAL cruisers. :D

Posted by Chelly (the quote function is not working for me right now):

That's no recommendation for me.... whenever I see photos of those young ladies they look like nothing on earth, as my Mum would say. As if they have fallen out of bed and wrapped themselves in a baggy cloak.:p

I do it all the time when it is a bit cool as I wear sandals all the time even in the winter. I even have several pairs of purposely mismatched socks such as these -

http://www.socklady.com/adult-socks.php

to make things interesting. Not sure if dress socks with sandals is appropriate on formal night however.

DON

These are the cutest socks.....thanks for the website....!!!

Just decided what to give my teenage granddaughters for Christmas.....Birkies and Socks.....:)

Edited by Rowsby

I'm a guy and even I know not to wear socks with sandals. It's like being that old guy out doing yard work who still wears those short shorts from the 70's and 80's. :eek:

I wonder if there is an age correlation between those who do wear socks with sandals and those who don't.