How About Wearing Socks with Sandals?

Chelly

I do it all the time when it is a bit cool as I wear sandals all the time even in the winter. I even have several pairs of purposely mismatched socks such as these -

http://www.socklady.com/adult-socks.php

to make things interesting. Not sure if dress socks with sandals is appropriate on formal night however.

DON

Thanks for the link. I purchased a pair ankle socks from Amazon today to wear with my sandals. Wearing socks with my sandals is more comfortable than wearing walking shoes and easier to get into. And with the socks I will have no blisters just "Happy Feet"!!

There is a store selling mixed pairs of socks in Downtown Disney. I will have to check them out and compare the quality to the Socklady's socks.

I'm a guy and even I know not to wear socks with sandals. It's like being that old guy out doing yard work who still wears those short shorts from the 70's and 80's. :eek:

I wonder if there is an age correlation between those who do wear socks with sandals and those who don't.

Esquire magazine just put out an article of fashion rules you should break. Number 8 was wearing socks with sandals. They recommended a robust sandal such as a Birkenstock paired with chunky socks. The male models in the pictures, however, did appear to be in their early 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another reason I like socks with sandals (fun socks, that is) is I love the comfort and freedom sandals provide, but sometimes my toes get cold. It seems my feet are my first body part to chill. Socks do the trick.:)

Another reason I like socks with sandals (fun socks, that is) is I love the comfort and freedom sandals provide, but sometimes my toes get cold. It seems my feet are my first body part to chill. Socks do the trick.:)

Ok, "fun socks" may be in a whole different category....I'm pretty sure if I saw you with your fun socks and sandals I would think it was a cute look. But not for everybody, I think not everyone could pull it off. Like the pics of the runway models and news about Hollywood -- personally I think those pictures are ugly (especially those grey lumpy things) :D

It isn't for me, no matter how popular it becomes (and who cares what they're doing in Hollywood anyway?)

According to the LA Times, wearing socks with sandals is fashionable.

Wearing socks with sandals is suddenly fashionable

The much-derided combination of socks with sandals is trending with celebrities, fashion industry insiders and street style ...

Recently, the Row designers Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wore matching black and gold Birkenstock sandals with pristine white socks while walking through an airport. Fashion editors and street style stars have been seen pairing metallic and bejeweled Birkenstocks with scrunched heather gray socks, perhaps as a comfy and fashion-forward way to transition footwear from winter to spring.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/05/image/la-ig-socks-20140406

To each his own - but how many young women REALLY want to look like the Olsens?

To each his own - but how many young women REALLY want to look like the Olsens?

ROFL! Most HAL cruisers could be their grandparents or even great grandparents :)

Edited by Hlitner

The only really important rule about clothing is to always wear clean underwear - in case you are in an accident and get taken to the hospital.

Make sure that there are no holes either. What will the ER personal think.

Also if you are wearing white they might not treat you

Mary

Only in pictures of Ancient Roman gladiators before socks were invented in B.C (Before Computers)

Would you rather look at the knarly toes with painted nails on poorly dressed women with well worn sandals and NO socks? :eek::eek:

No socks with sandals has to be the most absurd outdated thinking on this board! :(

I wear WHITE socks with sandals and often wear the cushioned sole white athletic socks for comfort.

Sometimes I even wear dark colored socks for a more dressed up look with slacks and sandals! :cool:! A cruise is the perfect place to do it! :D

Only in pictures of Ancient Roman gladiators before socks were invented in B.C (Before Computers)

Would you rather look at the knarly toes with painted nails on poorly dressed women with well worn sandals and NO socks? :eek::eek:

Yes, but several recent finds have shown Roman's with sandals and socks (saw something on it in Archaeology magazine) .... can you imagine tromping around Hadrian's Wall in the winter with your tootsies exposed!

The thread questioning wearing white after Labor Day brought to mind this:

Is it still considered gauche to wear socks with sandals on a cruise?

Sometimes I wear colorful, flashy socks with my sandals....just for fun!:)

Perfectly fine...as long as they're Birkenstocks! :p

Edited by innlady1

I found Josef Seibel sandals in Germany over 30 years ago and are still going strong. :cool:

Found they have the best built in orthotic arches and fit for tireless wear!

Prefer them to the custom made Foot Levelers, that I use in all by shoes.

Even though they are very similar in the three main arches and pronation correction.

The problem with the Birkens are the short toe sections for most people, and missing the Metatarsal arches, which are most important for good fit and comfort! My feet feel too flat with them.

Not as well made and certainly TOO expensive compared to Josef Seibel

:).

Isn't that combination what used to be referred to as a "Full Cleveland"?

Haven't heard that expression ...good one! This is the funnest dress code thread evah!

Picture this: "Full Cleveland" topped with a really bad toup...finished with Birks and mismatched socks...quite the visual!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I too get blisters so I wear tan colored shorty socks. Yes its socks and sandals but at least its not glaringly obvious.

Once in Vegas, some people doing a scavenger hunt asked if they could take a picture of my feet as it was on their list. I said sure.

My DW was laughing her rear off. :D

Only one thing wrong with a cheap rug (other than 2 cheap rugs).

That's a rug that is not on straight. We had one of those at our table once. Poor man...did not realize it and his wife was clearly oblivious. DW snickered all the way through dinner. She often wondered if he been out on a windy balcony prior to going for dinner each night.