How About Wearing Socks with Sandals?

Chelly

That is the way it is suppose to LQQK according to the POP-UP 2 for 1 discount sales ad. ;)

Not with standing the vision gets weaker with age.

Not something to snicker about at the Dinner table on a cruise! :(

Edited by msclonly

I still don't get it, why wear sandals if you put socks on? Why not just wear shoes and socks. I think you defeat the reason for sandals airing your feet out, by putting socks on, but that is just me.:)

I had to laugh, after we had been discussing this, my brother can over and guess what he was wearing dark socks and sandals. I kept my mouth shut but for a 70 year old he looked ridiculous:eek:, again my opinion.

We're lucky here, I wear sandales year round, without socks:D.

>Is it still considered gauche to wear socks with sandals on a cruise? <

One may wear white socks with light-colored sandals between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but only when sailing between the tropics of Capricorn and Cancer.

Dark socks may be worn with dark sandals North and South of the two Tropics, but only from November to March or May through September, respectively.

One does not wear black knee-high socks with sandals and Bermuda Shorts.

They are worn only with a kilt and must have a dagger inserted at the top.

The Full Chicago - white belt, etc - may be worn at all times and everywhere.

Quoted from the Chicago Manual of Style - 19th Ed.

Ira

I just happen to be on your cruise Chelly and I will play the part of the fashion police. :D Me, myself & I don't even own a pair of sandals. I could cut out the toes to my tennieboots. Will that work? :eek:

You live in Florida and you don't wear sandals! How do you manage in our heat?

NO Sandals ever for men! No crocs or birkenstocks ever for either gender. Socks a must with deck shoes.

Really! No sandals for men EVER. I wear croc sandals with are very thin and light. Also, you are not supposed to wear socks with deck shoes, as when on deck, your feet may get wet and no one wants wet socks.

I bet you love your striped shirts with checked shorts :)
No engineer dull plaid shirts or checkered shorts for me!

Only designer label Hawaiian shirts and solid colored pants or swim suits.

With sandals, of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by msclonly

NO Sandals ever for men! No crocs or birkenstocks ever for either gender. Socks a must with deck shoes.

Sandals, crocs and birkenstocks can be seen as matters of individual taste (admittedly bad taste in most cases) but a line must be drawn: no socks with deck shoes (or, as properly titled, boat shoes) not ever, no way, no how.

>Is it still considered gauche to wear socks with sandals on a cruise? <

One may wear white socks with light-colored sandals between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but only when sailing between the tropics of Capricorn and Cancer.

Dark socks may be worn with dark sandals North and South of the two Tropics, but only from November to March or May through September, respectively.

One does not wear black knee-high socks with sandals and Bermuda Shorts.

They are worn only with a kilt and must have a dagger inserted at the top.

The Full Chicago - white belt, etc - may be worn at all times and everywhere.

Quoted from the Chicago Manual of Style - 19th Ed.

Ira

Hang on while I get a pen and write this down. :D

Really! No sandals for men EVER. I wear croc sandals with are very thin and light. Also, you are not supposed to wear socks with deck shoes, as when on deck, your feet may get wet and no one wants wet socks.

Wool socks are fine to wear, even when wet. How do you think they would look with deck shoes? :D :D

Socks almost never worn with boat shoes (deck shoes). Only if wearing with a blazer to the Yacht Club. Never on the actual deck. Tisk-Tisk.:eek::D:D

All this reminds me of a TV Ad on local TV in the Pacific NW. After introductory information, see below, the line is "Here's to you, the socks and sandals guy!

Now, the socks shown are of the hiking boot type, not knee high nor black nor dressy in any way. The sandals - TEVA type, and it relates to an active outdoor day, not a work setting.

The introduction explains the reason for the combo in the Northwest. Our summer mornings, even in the summer, can be cold (or at least very cool). Too cold for many to wear sandals, but as the day progresses it can get quite hot, too warm for socks. (For example, the other day it was 48 egress when I left home, over 80 by 2 PM.) So, the combo is perfect from a comfort viewpoint. At such times my comfort trumps the fashion police. Also, when walking through puddles (or streams or whatever), take off the socks.

Personally, when visiting hot climates - I would never wear socks with my sandals. In the Northwest, Alaska, the mountains, etc. - yes I would and do.

All this reminds me of a TV Ad on local TV in the Pacific NW. After introductory information, see below, the line is "Here's to you, the socks and sandals guy!

Now, the socks shown are of the hiking boot type, not knee high nor black nor dressy in any way. The sandals - TEVA type, and it relates to an active outdoor day, not a work setting.

The introduction explains the reason for the combo in the Northwest. Our summer mornings, even in the summer, can be cold (or at least very cool). Too cold for many to wear sandals, but as the day progresses it can get quite hot, too warm for socks. (For example, the other day it was 48 egress when I left home, over 80 by 2 PM.) So, the combo is perfect from a comfort viewpoint. At such times my comfort trumps the fashion police. Also, when walking through puddles (or streams or whatever), take off the socks.

Personally, when visiting hot climates - I would never wear socks with my sandals. In the Northwest, Alaska, the mountains, etc. - yes I would and do.

well then:

"Here's to YOU, the socks and sandals guy!"

Edited by Chelly

Oh gee thanks. I was actually making progress getting over my sock addiction, and now I see my therapy will have to start again. I want ALL of them.

I just ordered three pair of the mismatched socks. I think they will look great with my Keen sandals in Alaska. BTW, Amazon sells them for the same price, free shipping.

I just ordered three pair of the mismatched socks. I think they will look great with my Keen sandals in Alaska. BTW, Amazon sells them for the same price, free shipping.

Thank you for this important information.

Enjoy your Happy Feet!