How About Wearing Socks with Sandals?

Chelly

Friends don't let friends wear socks with sandals. Seriously. No socks with boat shoes, either. Please. But on the other hand, nothing is worse than a gentleman of a certain age (and they're ALWAYS of a "certain age") wearing calf-legth black dress socks with sandals and Bermuda shorts.

Totally agree, but sadly it's usually a British guy thing and not always black socks (their concession to warmer weather defaults to beige).

The good news is that it's many years since I saw one wearing a handkerchief with 4 knotted corners on their heads:D:D

Totally agree, but sadly it's usually a British guy thing and not always black socks (their concession to warmer weather defaults to beige).

The good news is that it's many years since I saw one wearing a handkerchief with 4 knotted corners on their heads:D:D

the Handkerchief had me thinking about the Gumby characters on Monty Python *LOL*

Oh Lulu ... how right you are ... and add what babyher posted above...

"You need the full effect ....add a fedora , a metal detector a white undershirt and a Hawaiian print shirt over that unbuttoned."

How many have you seen - even out to dinner - dressed that way ???? :D:D

Out to dinner or out to lunch? :D

Friends don't let friends wear socks with sandals. Seriously. No socks with boat shoes, either. Please. But on the other hand, nothing is worse than a gentleman of a certain age (and they're ALWAYS of a "certain age") wearing calf-legth black dress socks with sandals and Bermuda shorts.

Socks must always be worn with Bermuda shorts, because they are worn with dress shoes and a coat and tie.

Bermuda shorts are quite specifically short trousers worn with business attire.

(Fun fact: they are also the National Dress of Bermuda, and hence the only short trousers that may be worn in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel in Hongkong.)

I agree but DH says he has to wear socks with his boat shoes because he's uncomfortable without socks...When I tell him he should wear white socks, he says his socks should match his shoes..Since he's of a certain age it's no use trying to change him now..;)Thank goodness he doesn't wear sandals..

The only really important rule about clothing is to always wear clean underwear - in case you are in an accident and get taken to the hospital.

Exactly what Grandma & Mom always said..

This thread is quite funny..:):D

Edited by serendipity1499

I do it all the time when it is a bit cool as I wear sandals all the time even in the winter. I even have several pairs of purposely mismatched socks such as these -

http://www.socklady.com/adult-socks.php

to make things interesting. Not sure if dress socks with sandals is appropriate on formal night however.

DON

Socks with sandals is still considered one of the top fashion faux pas ever. It even beats out white sneakers with velcro, denim on denim, leggings worn as pants, anything lululemon, mullet dresses, and anything that is "skinny look" and actually looks like it shrunk in the laundry.

ANDa "Pull-MY-Finger" T-shirt........***** Formal night!!!!! ;)

I wear socks with my sandals. And the reason I do is that I get blisters from part of the sandal rubbing my feet. This happens with any shoe that I wear without socks. So I don't care that I might look dorky. Looking dorky is better than not being able to walk be causes of blisters.

As to why wear sandals, they are easy to slip on and feel light weight on the feet. I usually wear sandals with my capris. Somehow I don't like the look of walking shoes with capris.

Edited by Storylady

The only really important rule about clothing is to always wear clean underwear - in case you are in an accident and get taken to the hospital.

Doesn't matter. If the accident is horrific enough, my underwear would probably not be clean when I arrived at the hospital anyway.

I do it all the time when it is a bit cool as I wear sandals all the time even in the winter. I even have several pairs of purposely mismatched socks such as these -

http://www.socklady.com/adult-socks.php

to make things interesting. Not sure if dress socks with sandals is appropriate on formal night however.

DON

Oh gee thanks. I was actually making progress getting over my sock addiction, and now I see my therapy will have to start again. I want ALL of them.

OP here again. (Did not want to appear to be a "hit and runner", i.e. start a thread then disappear.)

Well, my dear CC Friends.........Your responses are absolutely delicious! Those of you with happy feet like me provided the outrageously fun notion of INTENTIONALLY mismatching my socks. LOVE IT! :eek:

Expectedly, the aghast Fashion Police made their assessments as well.:rolleyes:

For those of you on any one of my upcoming cruises......you will know me when you look down and see my Happy Feet:D

Edited by Chelly

OP here again. (Did not want to appear to be a "hit and runner", i.e. start a thread then disappear.)

Well, my dear CC Friends.........Your responses are absolutely delicious! Those of you with happy feet like me provided the outrageously fun notion of INTENTIONALLY mismatching my socks. LOVE IT! :eek:

Expectedly, the aghast Fashion Police made their assessments as well.:rolleyes:

For those of you on any one of my upcoming cruises......you will know me when you look down and see my Happy Feet:D

Outstanding!!

I say if it makes you comfortable, go for it. Love those mismatching socks, too! I have some Keen sandals that are wool, and I wear them with socks in the winter...(with slacks, not shorts) and they are really not visible. But, I still won't wear white shoes after Labor Day!!! (have to admit I don't own white shoes...)

As others have noted, sometimes fashion choices are determined by medical issues.

That's right. That is why I don't mock anyone wearing a hat in the dining room. They may have a medical issue they are sensitive about and want to cover their head. Socks and Sandals isn't the look for me personally, but I don't mind if anyone chooses to do so.