Food taken on board

Reijo

Is it possible to take any food (granola bars) on board? I've never thought about doing so but we've been on vacation prior to our cruise and don't want to leave these in the car. I think that you can't, but just wanted to check.

Is it possible to take any food (granola bars) on board? I've never thought about doing so but we've been on vacation prior to our cruise and don't want to leave these in the car. I think that you can't, but just wanted to check.

I don't think they mind if you take snacks that are still in the sealed packages.

There is no problem taking pre-packaged food in un-opened packages. Depending on the excursions you are taking, you may want to be sure and take some breakfast bars ... I've been on excursions that ran a bit late, or didn't break for lunch ... and you may need something to tide you over.

Sure, we bring packaged snacks all the time. We both like a little candy or other snacks not readily available on board during the day and if going on an excursion we like to take something like granola bars or nuts along, especially if the tour doesn't include lunch.

My husband can get episodes of low blood sugar, so it is important that he has some food along, just in case.

The concerns that customs has, is with fruit, vegetables, meats and unprocessed cheeses. You can take them out of the country, you cannot bring them in.

While the cruise line wants you to shop for their on-board snacks, they will not stop you bringing in your own.

We always take pre-packaged food with us on airplanes, onto the ship and on excursions. I bring an assortment of granola bars, nuts, cheese/crackers, or dried fruit. They are great if a plane is delayed or an excursion is a long one without a lunch break.

The concerns that customs has, is with fruit, vegetables, meats and unprocessed cheeses. You can take them out of the country, you cannot bring them in.

While the cruise line wants you to shop for their on-board snacks, they will not stop you bringing in your own.

Sealed, packaged food is fine to bring onboard. The problem is not with customs, it is FDA who regulates bringing foodstuffs into the US. However, for cruise ships, the USPH requires that all food brought onboard be from sources verifiable as meeting all local, state, and federal health requirements. This can only be done with factory sealed food, not a baggy with granola or candy.

Always have my bag or two of red licorice. Doesn't melt and great for taking on excursions.

My DH always takes licorice took, only he likes black. It's a family trait (his family, not mine)!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Sealed, packaged food is fine to bring onboard. The problem is not with customs, it is FDA who regulates bringing foodstuffs into the US. However, for cruise ships, the USPH requires that all food brought onboard be from sources verifiable as meeting all local, state, and federal health requirements. This can only be done with factory sealed food, not a baggy with granola or candy.

Maybe foodstuffs are different, but it is USDA that regulates commodities that come into ports.

And yes, you can bring snacks onboard with you.

Edited by Coralc

Maybe foodstuffs are different, but it is USDA that regulates commodities that come into ports.

And yes, you can bring snacks onboard with you.

The USDA regulates nearly all aspects of food, except food safety, which is the province of the FDA. The FDA inspects NCL's Pride of America, since she never leaves the US, while the USPH inspects all foreign flag ships (and US ships) that enter the US from foreign voyages.

The USDA regulates nearly all aspects of food, except food safety, which is the province of the FDA. The FDA inspects NCL's Pride of America, since she never leaves the US, while the USPH inspects all foreign flag ships (and US ships) that enter the US from foreign voyages.

Nope...not involved at all with food safety. But I don't think that was the question. :)