Attention Royal Caribbean Chefs

Trainman-2

Here is a photo of one of my breakfasts last week on the Vision. Note that the gravy is very thin, almost soupy, and has run all over the plate.

DSCN0715_zpsa651811a.jpg

The RCI gravy varied day by day on how thick it was.

But it was good!

It had a slight sweet taste to it but almost no meat in it.

I see the infamous RCCL tomatoes in this picture that show up on most plates they serve.

You don't know how many times I have been tempted to send them a recipe for biscuits. The hockey pucks they serve are just not the way they should be made but i eat them; any port in a storm.. The bad thing is that they are make the same bad way on every ship so it must be a RCL recipe.

One of these times i am going to carry the recipe with me when going on the ship and see it i can get it to the Chef.

Trainman ... I agree with you .. if they are going to make dishes .. make them right.

No one implied they are suppose to be healthy .. just delicious.

As if there aren't dozens of other unhealthy foods we all eat on a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Heck, here in Arkansas they even make chocolate gravy to put on your biscuits.

Yep, we have it here in Texas too (although it's the tradition that comes from the Oklahoma side of my family). In fact just had some yesterday because my niece is home from college and requested it from grandma. Yummy! 😃

Thanks for sharing Trainman - looks good.

Bet you never thought this would evolve like a smoking thread with all kinds of negative comments:rolleyes: Cruisecritic never changes.......(The RCCL section anyway)

Would love it over country fried steak right Trainman?:)

You can guess just by the comments who are the southerners. Biscuits and gravy are a staple in the South and when made correctly are just heavenly. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Edited by dacsmom

Looks delicious to me. I thought the same when I was on the Grandeur last fall the gravy was just ok and the biscuits were meh. I was tempted to ask if I could go back and show the chef how to make it. Northern girl here and I think I make a pretty damn good sausage gravy and I make Bisquick biscuits that are pretty good too.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Genuine sausage gravy over fresh biscuits is a great southern food. Heck, here in Arkansas they even make chocolate gravy to put on your biscuits.

For all of you from NY, you are to close to the poutan eating neighbors to your north.:D

This northern neighbour would love some southern gravy and biscuits. Don't put poutine in front of me thank you.;)

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Genuine sausage gravy over fresh biscuits is a great southern food. Heck, here in Arkansas they even make chocolate gravy to put on your biscuits.

For all of you from NY, you are to close to the poutan eating neighbors to your north.:D

DSCN0996_zps8e2e1aae.jpg

The photo above is of Biscuits & Gravy at the Chicken Pantry Restaurant in Bunnell, FL.

This is one of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of ways to prepare real Southern Biscuits & Gravy.

Unfortunately, the Royal Caribbean way does not even come close.

Note in the photo that the gravy is thick and can be eaten with a fork. Also note the large size and number of the sausage chunks.

The Biscuits & Gravy I had recently on the Vision of the Seas was more like soup than gravy and I really had to look to find tiny bits of sausage.

Come on Royal, you can do better if you want to!

Oh YEAH! :D:D:D

and my wife makes fabulous chocolate gravy!

trainman, your taste buds......tell the truth.

Most won't believe that it's healthy, but the only unhealthy thing about biscuits and gravy.........is the biscuit!

Using heavy cream, and sausage, starting with a bit a bacon grease and butter, then flour for the roux, and building from there........what a wonderful southern breakfast!

Top it off with a nice amount of bacon on the side. The American Heart Association says that is one of the worst things that you can do to yourself, then how come, at age 70, I eat these things, and I have no sign of any congestion, and my arteries are just fine.:D

Just sayin!!

Rick

Do you mean poutine? Now that, my southern friends, is GRAVY!! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Poutine.JPG

Edited by ronandannette