Attention Royal Caribbean Chefs

Trainman-2

DSCN0996_zps8e2e1aae.jpg

The photo above is of Biscuits & Gravy at the Chicken Pantry Restaurant in Bunnell, FL.

This is one of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of ways to prepare real Southern Biscuits & Gravy.

Unfortunately, the Royal Caribbean way does not even come close.

Note in the photo that the gravy is thick and can be eaten with a fork. Also note the large size and number of the sausage chunks.

The Biscuits & Gravy I had recently on the Vision of the Seas was more like soup than gravy and I really had to look to find tiny bits of sausage.

Come on Royal, you can do better if you want to!

The photo above is of Biscuits & Gravy at the Chicken Pantry Restaurant in Bunnell, FL.

This is one of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of ways to prepare real Southern Biscuits & Gravy.

Note in the photo that the gravy is thick and can be eaten with a fork. Also note the large size and number of the sausage chunks.

The Biscuits & Gravy I had recently on the Vision of the Seas was more like soup than gravy and I really had to look to find tiny bits of sausage.

Looks gross. maybe RCL makes it more healthy

DSCN0996_zps8e2e1aae.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious. I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at it. But dang, I'd love some right now.

Really, if they are going to attempt a traditonal dish like this, they should do it right, (cholesterol and all) or stick to making oatmeal.

Looks gross. maybe RCL makes it more healthy

Sausage gravy and healthy are 2 words that should never been in the same sentence.

It's thicker than I make mine but looks delicious to this southern boy.

I have seen people eating some pretty funky things all over this country and in other countries. Our differences is what makes travel more interesting

Rick

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Genuine sausage gravy over fresh biscuits is a great southern food. Heck, here in Arkansas they even make chocolate gravy to put on your biscuits.

For all of you from NY, you are to close to the poutan eating neighbors to your north.:D

According to my husband, two adult sons, step-father, and MIL, it tastes wonderful.

Personally, I won't eat the stuff, because I cannot stand milk gravy.

According to the family (their words; not mine) I make the BEST biscuits and gravy they've ever tasted.

S-Dad grew up on a farm in NB

MIL grew up in rural MO

My husband has tried b&g everywhere he goes

I have to make it by smell, and I don't add any meat chunks to it. The roux is made with bacon grease (not a lot; just enough to kick up the taste). Also, lots of pepper counter balances the bland flour taste.

Biscuit? Just the ginormous canned ones.

Here is a photo of one of my breakfasts last week on the Vision. Note that the gravy is very thin, almost soupy, and has run all over the plate.

DSCN0715_zpsa651811a.jpg

The RCI gravy varied day by day on how thick it was.

But it was good!

It had a slight sweet taste to it but almost no meat in it.

Love it... when you have had it made the right way, soupy, watery variations just don't cut it..

Like eating a Philly cheesesteak in Minnesota or a Maryland crab cake in Arizona.. Sometimes they lose something in the translation. You don't have to be a southern chef to make biscuits and gravy.. But you do have to to have had it before and it least know what it should taste like,look like and what consistency it is.. They're version isn't even close....

Thanks for sharing Trainman - looks good.

Bet you never thought this would evolve like a smoking thread with all kinds of negative comments:rolleyes: Cruisecritic never changes.......(The RCCL section anyway)

iagree.gif

Variety is the spice of life!

Not every cruiser likes everything!

I think all of the whining and moaning we have about food is really that it is cooked the RCI way, not the way we like.