Attention Royal Caribbean Chefs

Trainman-2

Love it... when you have had it made the right way, soupy, watery variations just don't cut it..

Like eating a Philly cheesesteak in Minnesota or a Maryland crab cake in Arizona.. Sometimes they lose something in the translation. You don't have to be a southern chef to make biscuits and gravy.. But you do have to to have had it before and it least know what it should taste like,look like and what consistency it is.. They're version isn't even close....

A Philly cheesesteak may not be the healthiest meal out there, but it isn't even in the same ballpark as that picture of................food? Is that even really "food"?

You can guess just by the comments who are the southerners. Biscuits and gravy are a staple in the South and when made correctly are just heavenly. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

I lived in North Carolina "for a spell." I am walking the walk here. ;)

It's not just a "Southern" tradition. I was born and lived in Iowa for half of my life. I moved to Arkansas 35 years ago. Even in Iowa my mother made creamed dried beef on toast.

All your Navy friends can tell you about the "S.O.S." that they were served in the Navy. ("S>>t on a Shingle"). It was variously made with hamburger or dried beef. The guys always complained about how much they hated the stuff.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to tour the USS Midway aircraft carrier that is now located in San Diego as a museum. There was an old Chief there who was working as a tour guide. He told me that whenever they have some sort of dinner function on board for old Navy sailors that the one food that they wanted served at their event was SOS!

Edited by Hypo

Culinary question here (from a "Northerner" who has never eaten biscuits and gravy and probably never will): if the gravy is lacking sausage, and presumably you are getting it in the WJ where they already have sausage available, couldn't you just get some sausage and crumble it into the gravy yourself?

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Genuine sausage gravy over fresh biscuits is a great southern food. Heck, here in Arkansas they even make chocolate gravy to put on your biscuits.

For all of you from NY, you are to close to the poutan eating neighbors to your north.:D

Arkansas, chocolate gravy!!.................says it all 😂

Arkansas, chocolate gravy!!.................says it all

Contrary to all published reports, we actually wear shoes here!!

(At least for a couple of months of the year} I have lived here for 35 years. Came to Arkansas for my career, and just stayed when I retired. It was too much work to move anywhere else, LOL.

I don't have a Southern accent according to my real Southern friends, but about ten years ago I went to Ohio for a consulting assignment and all of the Ohioans thought that I talked "funny".

Edited by Hypo

Lol.... I love how some posters say it looks gross or how is that food when you look what region they are from... Northeast or UK.... Bastions of tasteless bland dinner plates.... Epically rude and ignorant to food and things outside of their norm.

I have lived in several regions and countries.... I thought i knew good food until i moved to the South....

Dont knock it until you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Deptacon

I lived in North Carolina "for a spell." I am walking the walk here. ;)

I lived in Kentucky for several years. I like to try everything, but I never could acquire a taste for biscuits and gravy. And I didn't like bacon in everything. Really hard to find vegetables without meat in them, in the south.

Sorry people, looks like those southern favorites add up over time http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

I lived in Kentucky for several years. I like to try everything, but I never could acquire a taste for biscuits and gravy. And I didn't like bacon in everything. Really hard to find vegetables without meat in them, in the south.

Sorry people, looks like those southern favorites add up over time http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/prevalence-maps.html

I was going to post this. I'm glad you did.

There's nothing wrong with regional foods. We like trying interesting foods from around our country and in other countries. But obviously people in our country eat too much it.

That plate full of sausage biscuits really is enough for 4 people. And like cake, it's fun to eat but shouldn't be eaten very often at all. Everything in that plate of food is bad news for the overweight and for smokers, too.

RCI serves enough empty calories. And for all the complaining people do about the food on board, they certainly don't appear to be going hungry.

Gina

trainman, your taste buds......tell the truth.

Most won't believe that it's healthy, but the only unhealthy thing about biscuits and gravy.........is the biscuit!

Using heavy cream, and sausage, starting with a bit a bacon grease and butter, then flour for the roux, and building from there........what a wonderful southern breakfast!

Top it off with a nice amount of bacon on the side. The American Heart Association says that is one of the worst things that you can do to yourself, then how come, at age 70, I eat these things, and I have no sign of any congestion, and my arteries are just fine.:D

Just sayin!!

Rick

I have to say I disagree with you Rick. I also eat these things. But very rarely. I seriously doubt you eat it often either.

And like someone said, some people smoke until they are 90 and don't get lung cancer. Others, like my cousin and best friend from high school die of smoking induced lung cancer at age 55.

If you look at the majority of people who have this type of food on their plate, you are going to see an obese, unhealthy person, probably taking lipitor or blood pressure meds or both. People think a pill will take care of their self induced problems.

Quite simply, eating this plate of food in one sitting, and doing it often, makes people FAT! People who exercise regularly won't likely eat something like this very often because they will remain fat. And being too fat makes people unhealthy. And we are all paying for that and I know you know what I mean. ;)

Gina

In the military we called it S.O.S but I can't put on here what the initiLs stand for!

We grew up on SOS here in Rhode Island but I don't think you can compare the two. I'd call SOS the poor man's biscuits and gravy. :D Rather have the latter.

I think that it looks delicious! Thick milk gravy with crumbled sausage! I have noticed RCs doesn't even compare. It's supposed to be crumbled sausage, not chopped sauage links. At least that's the way I prefer it! :D I love Bob evans sausage gravy and biscuits!

Interesting it looks like puke to some LOL! :p

DSCN0996_zps8e2e1aae.jpg

The photo above is of Biscuits & Gravy at the Chicken Pantry Restaurant in Bunnell, FL.

This is one of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of ways to prepare real Southern Biscuits & Gravy.

Unfortunately, the Royal Caribbean way does not even come close.

Note in the photo that the gravy is thick and can be eaten with a fork. Also note the large size and number of the sausage chunks.

The Biscuits & Gravy I had recently on the Vision of the Seas was more like soup than gravy and I really had to look to find tiny bits of sausage.

Come on Royal, you can do better if you want to!

Trainman is right about this. If Royal is going to serve up regional foods it should try to get them right and not some 'faux' version.

Healthy or not is not the issue. How would we all feel if RCI introduced some of our own regional favorites and butchered them like they did to Trainman's.

I would hate to think of what RCI's version of poutine would be.:eek:

or Beaver Tails...

or Tourtiere...

or Cod Tongues......

;)

You can guess just by the comments who are the southerners. Biscuits and gravy are a staple in the South and when made correctly are just heavenly. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

I absolutely will not be trying that. I don't like anything with dairy products in it. Can't stand that milky/buttery taste.

I understand many people find biscuits and gravy delicious but please don't try to say that is an attractive looking dish.

BTY S.O.S. is chipped beef on toast not Biscuits & Sausage Gravy! Please get your facts straight!

We made no distinction between chipped beef or sausage. SOS was SOS to us no matter what meat it had in it! By the way I didn't say I didn't like it though. I put it over hash browns rather than a biscuit!

I absolutely will not be trying that. I don't like anything with dairy products in it. Can't stand that milky/buttery taste.

I understand many people find biscuits and gravy delicious but please don't try to say that is an attractive looking dish.

I don't think anyone said it was "attractive."

It is what it is.

Seems like the entire point of this post was to point out how it is supposed to be made and it is supposed to be thick, creamy and very bad for you. Just like cake is bad for you or really most desserts for that matter. Bacon isn't exactly the healthiest thing in the world either but by the looks of people's plates, they seem to like it. :D

There is a lot of very unhealthy food on cruises that people talk about all the time. Typically it is one week out of your life. Have at what you want. Enjoy.

Debbie