Is Royal transitioning concierge lounge into a suites only lounge?

I understand that the concierge can make dining reservations. I've never had a problem doing this myself in the past. Is there any reason I'd want the concierge to make these reservations for me now? Do they get better tables, etc.? I'm delighted we'll have concierge access, but don't want to monopolize them with things I can easily take care of on my own.

I make my own also, and I kind of like doing it!:) The only thing I've asked the concierge to do is change some MTD dinner times to a time that wasn't available on-line when I made the reservations. I usually make that request ahead of the cruise, and it's always been taken care of for me before I board.:D

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having the concierge make a reservation...that's what they're there for! I just think it's ridiculous to see someone board and take an hour + of the concierge's time to take care of every little detail for them when there are so many people waiting.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having the concierge make a reservation...that's what they're there for! I just think it's ridiculous to see someone board and take an hour + of the concierge's time to take care of every little detail for them when there are so many people waiting.

I tend to agree with you re: monopolizing of the concierge. However, it is an amenity provided by the cruise line. Some people have zero need or desire for the concierge, some need them to do absolutely everything for them. Perhaps instead of looking at ways to limit loyal and / or high spend customers from accessing the concierge, Royal should expand it's guest services team and create a concierge team of more than two people per ship, especially if they know beforehand the amount of people with access to the concierge. Having a team means less chance of monopolization and better service for all.

As far as I'm concerned RCI can eliminate the DL, CL, and SL. Have a lounge only for Pinnacle Members and Grand Suite or higher guests because they earned it through either their extreme loyalty or the big bucks they spent for their suite.

Just give me a few extra drink vouchers and I will be a happy camper. I can then go to nearly any bar on the ship and have a quiet drink or two with my wife without all the attitudes.

I very seldom go to the DL or CL because I am on vacation and don't want to spend my time around a lot of people worrying about who should or shouldn't be there, or how long they have been there, or how long they have been in the same seat. I also don't do specialty coffees so that is no plus for me. I would much rather go to the MDR or Windjammer for a full breakfast than have a danish and maybe some fruit in a lounge.

I'm a big boy and can take care of business myself. I don't need a concierge to hold my hand or take care of things for me. I can talk to people and take care of things myself.

OK, I've got my fire proof suit on so flame away.

Totally disagree!

1. It is in the CL (or DL) where we have met the nicest people who continue to be friends. It's not just the drinks. It's the opportunity to socialize with others in a relaxed setting.

2. My experience is that very few people in the CL are worrying about others.

Are you perhaps confusing comments on this board with reality. Sure, there may be one or two, but the vast majority of folks are simply happy to be there.

3. The same goes for your comment about "attitudes." There might be one or two, but they are a minority.

4. You might like to hang out in the bars, but that is not the case for myself and my wife. We are just not "bar" people. We are folks who like a quiet, relaxed setting to make new friends.

I'm with totally disagree. :)

Diggers why such a negative review? Not only do you slam the people who enjoy the lounge, you want to take it away from them.

More and more I read passengers want to rid a cruise of the social aspect. Stay by yourself, don't eat with STRANGERS, and don't mingle with anyone. If you want to keep to yourself, and not associate with anyone, you won't have any problems because I'm sure that's the vibe you give off, and everyone will respect your wall.

Everyone enjoys their cruise in their own way.

Considering that other cruise lines are setting the bar much higher for suite passengers this will probably happen. I for one hope that it does. Other cruise lines offer separate dinning areas, lounges and butlers as benefits, it's time for Royal Caribbean to up their game.

So true! NCL has been doing that for a long time for suites. Butler, Espresso/Cappuccino machine in room, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I love Royal. I think they can improve on their Suite Amenities.

Mary

I understand that the concierge can make dining reservations. I've never had a problem doing this myself in the past. Is there any reason I'd want the concierge to make these reservations for me now? Do they get better tables, etc.? I'm delighted we'll have concierge access, but don't want to monopolize them with things I can easily take care of on my own.

We've often made the decision to do Specialty Dining during cocktail hour while checking out that night's MDR menu. Have never had an issue getting reservations even at that late date, though have always politely enlisted the Concierge's help.

Please keep in mind that this thread has taken a turn toward giving examples of "worst case" guests. We cruise many times each year and VERY RARELY encounter negative behavior. Almost all of the time all guests, whether suite or C&A, in the lounges are delightful.

If you have late seating you should not encounter any crowds in the lounges.

Very true, there have been a few but certainly not enough to taint our experience. And we have noticed things often clear out tellingly once those with first seating head to dinner.

Some cruises including me believe the Concierge lounge will eventually be for Suite guests and Pinnacle members. I also believe the Diamond Lounge will be for Diamond Plus and above, leaving the Diamonds to use the 3 drinks loaded on their sea pass cards throughout the ship. This is just my opinion.

I agree with this. I think the drink vouchers are just to ease the blow. But it's coming.

So true! NCL has been doing that for a long time for suites. Butler, Espresso/Cappuccino machine in room, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I love Royal. I think they can improve on their Suite Amenities.

Mary

I agree that RCI can definitely improve their suite amenities. I'd like to see some things like free laundry, free Internet, specialty dining credits...

I think people look at the CL as the big draw for suite passengers. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice amenity, but there are a lot of things Royal Caribbean could do for suites that would be low/no cost to them but really enhance the experience. I think my favorite thing they do currently is being able to eat breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant instead of having to fight the crowd in the Windjammer. Cost -- virtually nothing.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since the "3drink loaded on seapass" started we have no reason to enter. The last time i tried to pick up a conversation with someone in the CL, they looked at me as if i was about to rob them...gone are the day of sharing past cruise experiences with frequent floaters. Must go into DL for that. Just saying😄

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Some cruises including me believe the Concierge lounge will eventually be for Suite guests and Pinnacle members. I also believe the Diamond Lounge will be for Diamond Plus and above, leaving the Diamonds to use the 3 drinks loaded on their sea pass cards throughout the ship. This is just my opinion.

I agree with this. I think the drink vouchers are just to ease the blow. But it's coming.

I agree the current voucher system may be easing in changes. I am not convinced that change must involve revoking anybody's lounge access. Right now one can go to lounges for unlimited drinks and/or use three vouchers elsewhere. The crowding is generally only problematic on some cruises (not all) and only during limited hours, with the CL and DL underutilized most of the day. If substantial lounge crowding remains an issue during those hours even with vouchers, the company could simply make people use their voucher credits everywhere (in CL and DL just like other venues, possibly adjusting number of vouchers for D+ vs D) with gold cards getting unlimited service (suites and PC). Doing so gives D/D+ guests less incentive to select CL/DL vs other venues (which may have other appeal..live music, nice views, great staff, convenient location, etc). Also some people might sit for hours in the lounge to nurse drinks or to socialize, but others will have a couple drinks and use the the final voucher to carry a drink to dinner. The advantage of such a maneuver, while more work for lounge servers, would be to decrease crowding during those few hours while still allowing loyal guests access the lounges during the non-crowded times for coffee, socializing and relaxing. It would likely provoke less anger than booting people from lounges completely. For example, a D who loves espresso (not alcohol) might be upset by losing access to DL coffee machine, but not upset by handing over a voucher for a beverage during cocktail hours. Some D members will not think three free drinks are enough, I suspect most will not raise too much fuss over three drink limit vs totally losing the DL all day long.

I hope I misunderstand your hypothetical system...or that it stays your personal hypothetical system.

So, do you think D+ should lose access to the DL? Having more points should not cause one to lose access in my opinion. sometimes I like the location, fellow passengers, or concierge better in the DL rather than the CL. I see no reason to deny D+ access.

if a D+ books a suite (or is upgraded to a suite), do you think the D+ should lose access to both the CL and the DL? hat seems crazy to me. I like having options and others likely do, too.

Agree.

We like have options and flexibility as well. We travel with DD so in daytime DL is fine to get breakfast or coffee, but she is not allowed in in the evening so we change to CL if she wants to join us.

Also being D+ and suite travelers I agree we should choose which benefit we wish to utilize.

IMHO I expect that with the exception of Oasis and Allure, which if they end up with three lounges will have one that Diamonds can use, all the other ships that don't have three lounges will end up with Diamonds just getting the three coupons and only D+ and above having lounge access. There are just too many Diamonds these days.

You MIGHT have been told this. I was NOT told this when we were on board at the end of August. Actually, just the opposite, we were WARMLY welcomed into the Concierge Lounge!!

You started another thread making this statement but never explained yourself. You never put the quote into context. In your opening statement on that thread you also slammed a fantastic concierge on another ship….yes, another concierge whom we have also observed multiple times and have never seen him be anything but gracious.

PLEASE, give details here.

We normally stay in GS or above, but if not available when we book we will stay in JS. We noted on our recent cruise a very distinct difference in attitude to those in suites and those that were not. There were a couple of tables that were totally pampered to and everyone else was ignored on a daily basis. This is a concierge who again has had good reviews.

The thing is those that give good reviews are those receiving attentiveness and already have relationships with those concierges. They are probably not consciously paying attention to those that are being ignored.

Not all concierges act like that but they DO exist.

Every time this type of thread comes up, my kneejerk reaction is: no way should any perk be taken away from we loyal D pluses!

However, after some thought, I'm hard pressed to come up with any reason that I would want to choose the CL lounge over the D lounge, as long as drinks, snacks, services and seat availability are the same.

It appears to come down to my choosing whether I want to converse, if not with D pluses, with Ds or with suite guests. I'm guessing I have more in common with the Ds - lots of cruise history, than with the suites - lots of money.

Does anyone have solid reason why they want to be included in the CL?

My solid reason is

Because DD is 13. She is D+ in own right yet is only allowed in CL on an evening. We are fine with that if she wants to join us for a drink. That's my solid reason for wanting both. CL minors are accepted, but I know most D + don't want minors in DL.

I'm with totally disagree. :)

Diggers why such a negative review? Not only do you slam the people who enjoy the lounge, you want to take it away from them.

More and more I read passengers want to rid a cruise of the social aspect. Stay by yourself, don't eat with STRANGERS, and don't mingle with anyone. If you want to keep to yourself, and not associate with anyone, you won't have any problems because I'm sure that's the vibe you give off, and everyone will respect your wall.

Everyone enjoys their cruise in their own way.

Sounds like maybe I stepped on some people's toes. I am very sorry if any of you feel that I am pointing a finger at you. I was just expressing my opinion. I like the new voucher system and hope that RCI continues to use it. If you want to sit in a crowded lounge for a couple hours each evening, that's fine, do your own thing. I just like the freedom of being able to move around the ship to other venues. If one place is too noisy or too crowded then I can go to another.

I was diamond when diamonds had access to the CL and that was taken away. Now that I am diamond plus I have access to the DL or CL for now, but nothing is set in stone. It will not surprise me in the least if when I go on my next cruise in February 2015, I will no longer have access to the CL. Life is too short to worry about that kind of stuff.

Now I'm going to crawl back into my cave where I can be alone and not eat with strangers and not have to associate with anybody.

My solid reason for wanting access to CL, I can walk a very short distance from my suite to get coffee:)

With my D+ status I can choose, short walk to CL or long walk to DL

Having the option to have both is a perk earn't from Loyalty, and from spending.

Happy Days!

And yes we use both, depends where we happen to be on the ship at a given time when we have the need to be in either.

Prefer Breakfast in DL

Coffee and drinks in CL

All about personal choice:cool:

If either is taken away, somehow I think I will live;)

My solid reason for wanting access to CL, I can walk a very short distance from my suite to get coffee:)

With my D+ status I can choose, short walk to CL or long walk to DL

Having the option to have both is a perk earn't from Loyalty, and from spending.

Happy Days!

And yes we use both, depends where we happen to be on the ship at a given time when we have the need to be in either.

Prefer Breakfast in DL

Coffee and drinks in CL

All about personal choice:cool:

If either is taken away, somehow I think I will live;)

Good point about proximity. Last year we did a B2B on Allure. Such a big ship, one can be a long distance from a given lounge. First week we had on OV balcony on deck 6 forward, convenient to DL. Second week we changed to Boardwalk balcony near CL. Being able to pop over to a nearby lounge for a coffee or a quiet daytime moment was nice. In the evening the first week, we sometimes went to DL/Blaze as the CL was often too crowded. Less crowded CL the second week for whatever reason. I am glad we had access to both lounges, and I hope that never changes.

Edited by Starry Eyes

We normally stay in GS or above, but if not available when we book we will stay in JS. We noted on our recent cruise a very distinct difference in attitude to those in suites and those that were not. There were a couple of tables that were totally pampered to and everyone else was ignored on a daily basis. This is a concierge who again has had good reviews.

The thing is those that give good reviews are those receiving attentiveness and already have relationships with those concierges. They are probably not consciously paying attention to those that are being ignored.

Not all concierges act like that but they DO exist.

If you really want to be an outcast, book the cow sweet. Definitely low man on totem pole then. :eek:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Sounds like maybe I stepped on some people's toes. I am very sorry if any of you feel that I am pointing a finger at you. I was just expressing my opinion. I like the new voucher system and hope that RCI continues to use it. If you want to sit in a crowded lounge for a couple hours each evening, that's fine, do your own thing. I just like the freedom of being able to move around the ship to other venues. If one place is too noisy or too crowded then I can go to another.

I was diamond when diamonds had access to the CL and that was taken away. Now that I am diamond plus I have access to the DL or CL for now, but nothing is set in stone. It will not surprise me in the least if when I go on my next cruise in February 2015, I will no longer have access to the CL. Life is too short to worry about that kind of stuff.

Now I'm going to crawl back into my cave where I can be alone and not eat with strangers and not have to associate with anybody.

Fair enough, good response.

I didn't think you were pointing a finger at anyone in particular. It's hard to recognize tone in a post. I felt you were painting the Diamond Club / Concierge Lounge patrons as snobs.

I can rationalize my own opinion by saying that passengers may have spent $10,000 one time for a suite, but I can assure you I've spent 4 times that amount over the last 10 years only on balconies. The clubs are a privilege not a constitutional right, but I would definitely miss them if my access was denied in the future.

Enjoy your future cruises, try not to spend too much time in your cave ;) because you sound like a very interesting person that your fellow passengers would like to meet.

Fair enough, good response.

I didn't think you were pointing a finger at anyone in particular. It's hard to recognize tone in a post. I felt you were painting the Diamond Club / Concierge Lounge patrons as snobs.

I can rationalize my own opinion by saying that passengers may have spent $10,000 one time for a suite, but I can assure you I've spent 4 times that amount over the last 10 years only on balconies. The clubs are a privilege not a constitutional right, but I would definitely miss them if my access was denied in the future.

Enjoy your future cruises, try not to spend too much time in your cave ;) because you sound like a very interesting person that your fellow passengers would like to meet.

I do not in any way shape or form want you to be denied access. Still, as you rationalize your position, remember the company has spent a substantial amount of time and money to house, feed, quench, transport, entertain, etc you and your cabin mates for perhaps "121 nights and counting" over those 10 years. No small or inexpensive feat. For the newbie in the 10K suite, they are providing comforts such for only 7 days (or whatever the length of that 10K cruise might be).

Having a bad day, eh? Your response is over the top and uncalled for.

Actually I'm probably more unhappy with passengers not drinking in Schooner during trivia. You have a nice day as well. See you onboard. ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Very interesting observing the various opinions on this subject and the importance the CL plays to some cruisers. IF the CL became A " SUITE ONLY" facility what time frame do the previous posters suggest for this to evolve?

Very interesting observing the various opinions on this subject and the importance the CL plays to some cruisers. IF the CL became A " SUITE ONLY" facility what time frame do the previous posters suggest for this to evolve?

Forget it! It's not happening. On the majority of RCCL ships, the CL would be empty for most of the night if it were available only to suite guests. This is especially true for the older ships which have limited suites and which do not attract higher end spenders.

It is the Pinnacles, D+ and D who show their loyalty by booking the older ships. Higher end cruisers tend to be attracted to the newest fad.

Edited by yogimax

Forget it! It's not happening. On the majority of RCCL ships, the CL would be empty for most of the night if it were only available only to suite guests. This is especially true for the older ships which have limited suites and which do not attract higher end spenders.

It is the Pinnacles, D+ and D who show their loyalty by booking the older ships. Higher end cruisers tend to be attracted to the newest fad.

Good point! Even the CL's on the Oasis and Allure would probably be a bit empty if they were only open to suites and Pinnacles. But then back before the

D and D+ were invited into the lounges the concierge ran the entire show alone. They served all of the drinks themselves, without the aid of servers

Perhaps, the long rumored new level between D+ and P could come about and result in a restructuring of access to the lounges. But who knows? Can't say there will be changes - can't say there won't.