Is Royal transitioning concierge lounge into a suites only lounge?

Seems awfully hard to balance the load.

Current program.

Diamond, goes to DL, unless they are in a suite, then they can also go to CL & SL.

Diamond Plus, goes to DL & CL, unless they are in a suite, then they can also go to SL.

PINACLE, go wherever they want.

Suite guests go to SL & CL, unless they are Diamond or better and can also go to DL.

How about this.

Diamond in DL

Diamond + and Pinacle in CL

Suites in SL

If you have friends if a different caste, go to a bar. :beer:

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I hope I misunderstand your hypothetical system...or that it stays your personal hypothetical system.

So, do you think D+ should lose access to the DL? Having more points should not cause one to lose access in my opinion. sometimes I like the location, fellow passengers, or concierge better in the DL rather than the CL. I see no reason to deny D+ access.

if a D+ books a suite (or is upgraded to a suite), do you think the D+ should lose access to both the CL and the DL? hat seems crazy to me. I like having options and others likely do, too.

I hope I misunderstand your hypothetical system...or that it stays your personal hypothetical system.

So, do you think D+ should lose access to the DL? Having more points should not cause one to lose access in my opinion. sometimes I like the location, fellow passengers, or concierge better in the DL rather than the CL. I see no reason to deny D+ access.

if a D+ books a suite (or is upgraded to a suite), do you think the D+ should lose access to both the CL and the DL? hat seems crazy to me. I like having options and others likely do, too.

Nope, you misunderstood nothing. It's my system and I'm sticking to it. Come on, there are way more Diamonds than any other group. Give them a chance in their own lounge. They have no where else to go. And while Freedom is in Dry dock, move CL upstairs to card room side of VCL. Make old CL the card room and resist the urge to add cabins there. :D

Seems awfully hard to balance the load.

Suites in SL

Cheers

I condensed your proposal to the part I don't agree with.

No I do not agree.

If I paid for the suite then I am entiltled to the CL and all its benefits.

From assistance, to lounge and other new found perks.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Every time this type of thread comes up, my kneejerk reaction is: no way should any perk be taken away from we loyal D pluses!

However, after some thought, I'm hard pressed to come up with any reason that I would want to choose the CL lounge over the D lounge, as long as drinks, snacks, services and seat availability are the same.

It appears to come down to my choosing whether I want to converse, if not with D pluses, with Ds or with suite guests. I'm guessing I have more in common with the Ds - lots of cruise history, than with the suites - lots of money.

Does anyone have solid reason why they want to be included in the CL?

I condensed your proposal to the part I don't agree with.

No I do not agree.

If I paid for the suite then I am entiltled to the CL and all its benefits.

From assistance, to lounge and other new found perks.

Sea Ya

My bad, I assumed the SL would have all that available. Do you know different?

Every time this type of thread comes up, my kneejerk reaction is: no way should any perk be taken away from we loyal D pluses!

However, after some thought, I'm hard pressed to come up with any reason that I would want to choose the CL lounge over the D lounge, as long as drinks, snacks, services and seat availability are the same.

It appears to come down to my choosing whether I want to converse, if not with D pluses, with Ds or with suite guests. I'm guessing I have more in common with the Ds - lots of cruise history, than with the suites - lots of money.

Does anyone have solid reason why they want to be included in the CL?

I guess it depends on the ship. Old Oasis, yes. Freedom, no.

I could be in an Inside cabin and you an Owners Suite,

But this is my 80th cruise and this is your 10th.......who should have RCCL's attention..who has spent the most.....It's not the suite owner....

Not correct, as the right answer is both!

Regulars are important to any service business, as they keep a certain amount of revenue flow, are often ambassadors for the line, and can usually be counted on to be patrons in the down times. Loyalty programs tend to generate regulars.

However, the suites pull in significant revenue right now, making sure that the line has good financials today, not in the number of years it might take to generate a Pinnacle member. From a simplistic view, suites tend to have a higher margin as costs are typically fixed per-person or per-sailing (the latter suggests the more on board the lower cost per-person). On a ship like Oasis, fully booked suites could account for 15% to 20% of the total revenue for a particular sailing.

So a good business plan would be to entice those that can afford it to book a suite now, but also to entice all cruisers to come back as often as possible (do it in a suite, and the bean counters are even happier).

As far as I'm concerned RCI can eliminate the DL, CL, and SL. Have a lounge only for Pinnacle Members and Grand Suite or higher guests because they earned it through either their extreme loyalty or the big bucks they spent for their suite.

Just give me a few extra drink vouchers and I will be a happy camper. I can then go to nearly any bar on the ship and have a quiet drink or two with my wife without all the attitudes.

I very seldom go to the DL or CL because I am on vacation and don't want to spend my time around a lot of people worrying about who should or shouldn't be there, or how long they have been there, or how long they have been in the same seat. I also don't do specialty coffees so that is no plus for me. I would much rather go to the MDR or Windjammer for a full breakfast than have a danish and maybe some fruit in a lounge.

I'm a big boy and can take care of business myself. I don't need a concierge to hold my hand or take care of things for me. I can talk to people and take care of things myself.

OK, I've got my fire proof suit on so flame away.

As far as I'm concerned RCI can eliminate the DL, CL, and SL. Have a lounge only for Pinnacle Members and Grand Suite or higher guests because they earned it through either their extreme loyalty or the big bucks they spent for their suite.

Just give me a few extra drink vouchers and I will be a happy camper. I can then go to nearly any bar on the ship and have a quiet drink or two with my wife without all the attitudes.

I very seldom go to the DL or CL because I am on vacation and don't want to spend my time around a lot of people worrying about who should or shouldn't be there, or how long they have been there, or how long they have been in the same seat. I also don't do specialty coffees so that is no plus for me. I would much rather go to the MDR or Windjammer for a full breakfast than have a danish and maybe some fruit in a lounge.

I'm a big boy and can take care of business myself. I don't need a concierge to hold my hand or take care of things for me. I can talk to people and take care of things myself.

OK, I've got my fire proof suit on so flame away.

Well said, might I add that I don't want to camp out at 4:00 just to get a seat

I very seldom go to the DL or CL because I am on vacation and don't want to spend my time around a lot of people worrying about who should or shouldn't be there, or how long they have been there, or how long they have been in the same seat.

Totally disagree!

1. It is in the CL (or DL) where we have met the nicest people who continue to be friends. It's not just the drinks. It's the opportunity to socialize with others in a relaxed setting.

2. My experience is that very few people in the CL are worrying about others.

Are you perhaps confusing comments on this board with reality. Sure, there may be one or two, but the vast majority of folks are simply happy to be there.

3. The same goes for your comment about "attitudes." There might be one or two, but they are a minority.

4. You might like to hang out in the bars, but that is not the case for myself and my wife. We are just not "bar" people. We are folks who like a quiet, relaxed setting to make new friends.

Totally disagree!

1. It is in the CL (or DL) where we have met the nicest people who continue to be friends. It's not just the drinks. It's the opportunity to socialize with others in a relaxed setting.

Are you perhaps confusing comments on this board with reality. Sure, there may be one or two, but the vast majority of folks are simply happy to be there.

3. The same goes for your comment about "attitudes." There might be one or two, but they are a minority.

4. You might like to hang out in the bars, but that is not the case for myself and my wife. We are just not "bar" people. We are folks who like a quiet, relaxed setting to make new friends.

I am with you.

I don't drink alcohol at all, so the drinks on my card are no big deal, but really enjoy the lounges because of all the nice people we have met there and the new friendships that we made. Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow on the Oasis with several friends we made on the Liberty TA last may.

I take care of most things myself, as well. But it is really nice to know that there is someone who can advocate for you onboard if something goes wrong or if you need a favor.

Concierges can be very helpful.

I am with you.

I don't drink alcohol at all, so the drinks on my card are no big deal, but really enjoy the lounges because of all the nice people we have met there and the new friendships that we made. Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow on the Oasis with several friends we made on the Liberty TA last may.

If you aren't drinking, go hang out in the VCL, or meet your friends in the empty lounge outside of happy hour.

Totally disagree!

I have news for you. From 4:30 - 8:00, both the CL & DL are bars. So you do hang out in bars. :D

Nope, you misunderstood nothing. It's my system and I'm sticking to it. Come on, there are way more Diamonds than any other group. Give them a chance in their own lounge. They have no where else to go. And while Freedom is in Dry dock, move CL upstairs to card room side of VCL. Make old CL the card room and resist the urge to add cabins there. :D

As there are so many more D's, they will hardly notice if a few D+ wander in. And if the DL is more crowded than the CL on a given cruise, the D+'s will have a reason to go to the CL. But sometimes the CL is more crowded or suboptimally staffed; then it is nice to have access to both. It would be a strange loyalty program that takes away access to venues as one gets more point! imagine what could happen to somebody on a b2b2b as an example. First week they bond with people in the DL; the another week (now D+), they cannot even go in there. that is no way to inspire loyalty.

I want no part of your LaLa land loyalty scheme; fortunately I do not think the company will even consider your idea.

Totally disagree!

Perhaps you are the one confused about reality. You say that you don't hang out in bars but that is exactly what you are doing in the CL lounge during the time free drinks are provided. The reality is that it IS a bar during that time period. I don't frequent bars regularly but do enjoy an occasional drink with my wife. With the crowding in the DL's and CL's during the free drink time, I don't consider them a relaxed setting to make new friends. If you go there at times other than when drinks are being served, yes they are relaxed because there is usually nobody there but I can also find other areas of the ship that are quiet at that time.

We occasionally visit one of the lounges for 30 minutes or so before dinner. Most of the time we take our own drinks with us, since there are things we like MUCH better than what's offered on the limited lounge drink menu!:D

Everybody's entitled to spend their cruise in whatever way makes them happy. I don't really understand the people who camp out in a lounge (especially the CL on the ships where it's basically an overgrown inside cabin) for hours on end just for free booze, but that's me. I'd rather be out exploring different venues and taking advantage of everything the ship has to offer than sitting in one spot because I don't have to pay for my alcohol.:)

My husband and I will be doing our second B2B on Freedom next September. It will be the first time we'll be sailing as Diamond, and we also have booked a GS, so technically we'll be allowed in either the Diamond or Concierge lounges.

We typically do late seating, so wouldn't be going for a pre-dinner cocktail until after 6:30 or so. Are the lounges that busy the entire cocktail time? I'm so turned off by some of the things I've read here, it makes me wonder if we'll even want to bother.

It sounds like with even having a Gold Card, you're still competing for resources on board, it's just at a higher level.

My husband and I will be doing our second B2B on Freedom next September. It will be the first time we'll be sailing as Diamond, and we also have booked a GS, so technically we'll be allowed in either the Diamond or Concierge lounges.

We typically do late seating, so wouldn't be going for a pre-dinner cocktail until after 6:30 or so. Are the lounges that busy the entire cocktail time? I'm so turned off by some of the things I've read here, it makes me wonder if we'll even want to bother.

It sounds like with even having a Gold Card, you're still competing for resources on board, it's just at a higher level.

Please keep in mind that this thread has taken a turn toward giving examples of "worst case" guests. We cruise many times each year and VERY RARELY encounter negative behavior. Almost all of the time all guests, whether suite or C&A, in the lounges are delightful.

If you have late seating you should not encounter any crowds in the lounges.

Edited by beachnative

Please keep in mind that this thread has taken a turn toward giving examples of "worst case" guests. We cruise many times each year and VERY RARELY encounter negative behavior. Almost all of the time all guests, whether suite or C&A, in the lounges are delightful.

I have to agree here. . . only more so. I have never encountered negative behavior in any of the lounges. Rarely have I seen "worst case" guests on any ship let alone the lounges.

Totally agree with this. We have never encountered any of the above behaviour towards other guests in either the CL or the D lounge on any of the ships we've sailed on. Perhaps we've been lucky, perhaps we're just enjoying ourselves too much to notice what other people are doing or perhaps it's because quite a number of our cruises have been in the Med where the lounges are less crowded and the numbers of high points/entitled cruisers are much less. On Navigator a couple of years ago we were sometimes the only people in the CL - boy did we get good service :D

I understand that the concierge can make dining reservations. I've never had a problem doing this myself in the past. Is there any reason I'd want the concierge to make these reservations for me now? Do they get better tables, etc.? I'm delighted we'll have concierge access, but don't want to monopolize them with things I can easily take care of on my own.

Everybody's entitled to spend their cruise in whatever way makes them happy. I don't really understand the people who camp out in a lounge (especially the CL on the ships where it's basically an overgrown inside cabin) for hours on end just for free booze, but that's me. I'd rather be out exploring different venues and taking advantage of everything the ship has to offer than sitting in one spot because I don't have to pay for my alcohol.:)

Totally agree.