Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Hi, a newbie to the forums here. I am normally quite scruffy(!) but love wearing a tux on formal nights. I was disappointed to feel in the minority on a recent Princess cruise. My wife and I will be on the Eclipse next July, in Aqua class, and we really like the look of Blu. Would I feel overdressed in there in a tux on formal night?

Hi, a newbie to the forums here. I am normally quite scruffy(!) but love wearing a tux on formal nights. I was disappointed to feel in the minority on a recent Princess cruise. My wife and I will be on the Eclipse next July, in Aqua class, and we really like the look of Blu. Would I feel overdressed in there in a tux on formal night?

Most dress "Smart Casual",but you'll look fine & fit in fine after dinner.

Nope not at all......u could wear a suit every night of the cruise and feel comfortable..or remain smart casual the whole cruise........

Hi Denondave,

You're fit in fine in your tux anywhere on the ship on formal nights...

As your on the eclipse out of Southampton you're find more people dress up in tuxes Vs other celebrity ships around the globe...

Yes the tux gang are becoming less on say Caribbean cruises but the British crowd do still like to dress up and I very much doubt your be the only one in Blu wearing one [emoji4]

You can also opt to dine in the MDR of you wish on formal nights? Just speak to the restaurant manager/host/hostess and they will look after you [emoji4]

We have just returned from a Med cruise on Eclipse. The vast majority of people dressed up for the formal nights. In fact, I think you would feel out of place if you were not in a tux or DJ!

Flip flops would be the "rubber" type you see at the beach.

Not sure about this assertion. I have a leather pair of flip flops I wear on Sea Days / around the outdoor decks on the Boat.

I would opine that the term "flip flop" is derived from the movement of the heel end of the footwear when walking .

Hi Denondave,

You're fit in fine in your tux anywhere on the ship on formal nights...

As your on the eclipse out of Southampton you're find more people dress up in tuxes Vs other celebrity ships around the globe...

Yes the tux gang are becoming less on say Caribbean cruises but the British crowd do still like to dress up and I very much doubt your be the only one in Blu wearing one [emoji4]

You can also opt to dine in the MDR of you wish on formal nights? Just speak to the restaurant manager/host/hostess and they will look after you [emoji4]

Is a "tux" the same as an Arsenal shirt perchance. [emoji12]

Most of us Brits would be wearing a Dinner Suit , as Invented by Edward 7th when Prince of Wales .

Is a "tux" the same as an Arsenal shirt perchance. [emoji12]

Most of us Brits would be wearing a Dinner Suit , as Invented by Edward 7th when Prince of Wales .

Dinner suit, tuxedo, tux or suit with bow tie... It's all the same to us poor soles that from steerage class! [emoji23]

I'm looking at a December 5-night cruise on the Eclipse.

I've only sailed on Princess in the past. My question is whether or not wearing jeans and a button up shirt is acceptable for men on Celebrity. This was always fine and normal on Princess. They are nice jeans and a nice fitting shirt, with dress shoes and maybe a sport coat. I'm just not at all into wearing slacks and tend to think doing so for dinner is old-fashioned, at least for me.

I'd prefer not eating at the buffet every night, but I also don't feel like wearing a suit any night other than formal night.

Obviously, you haven't read this entire thread. :eek: :D:D

There's only one formal night on a 5-night cruise, I believe, so you wouldn't be eating at the buffet every night.

What you propose with a sport coat, you won't get turned away from the MDR on formal night.

Sorry, I meant for nights other than formal nights. I can throw on a suit for formal night or just not go to dinner that night. I mean, I don't want to wear dress pants for the other nights.

I've only sailed on Princess in the past. My question is whether or not wearing jeans and a button up shirt is acceptable for men on Celebrity. This was always fine and normal on Princess. They are nice jeans and a nice fitting shirt, with dress shoes and maybe a sport coat. I'm just not at all into wearing slacks and tend to think doing so for dinner is old-fashioned, at least for me.

I'd prefer not eating at the buffet every night, but I also don't feel like wearing a suit any night other than formal night.

Despite what some would like regarding dress standards jeans and a shirt are acceptable as evening dress for MDR. If one would to put on a jacket then that dress would be acceptable on formal nights. The staff at the MDR are taking a more relaxed view to dress in the MDR.

I thought about this thread today when I saw this book: http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Everybody-Did-That/dp/0761456864

It's an exploration about when some people stop following some rules, and what happens when everyone stops following rules they don't like following. I'm pretty sure there's a few pages covering the little boy asking, "What if I don't follow the Celebrity dress guidelines for the Main restaurant," and ends with infants screaming in Murano, drunks doing shots in the Persian Garden, and people sampling food in the buffet and putting it back, but I may be mistaken.

On Celebrity we usually go Aqua class and always dress up on Formal night and not are the only ones in Blu. We like to dress up and therefore do not worry what other people are wearing around us. There will be others in Blu also wearing Formal wear (have done Blu on a TA, Panama Canal and Caribbean). Likewise on Princess have not felt in the minority wearing Formal wear.

What has surprised me was that we have just done a 2 day cruise from Southampton on the Britannia (was interested to see how she compared to the Regal Princess) where the second (last) night was Formal night. I estimated that over possibly 85% of the passengers wore Formal wear :). Having said that, a gentleman infront of us of the MDR claimed he did not know there was a formal night (:rolleyes:) and eventually was admitted to the MDR. However he must have felt out of place, since most other people were dressed up. It surprised me that the on the first night, people also were mainly dressed up (more so than I went prepared for!!).

Sorry, I meant for nights other than formal nights. I can throw on a suit for formal night or just not go to dinner that night. I mean, I don't want to wear dress pants for the other nights.

Nice jeans & a nice button down shirt are fine for smart casual. Not something we wear,but it meets the smart casual idea.

Despite what some would like regarding dress standards jeans and a shirt are acceptable as evening dress for MDR. If one would to put on a jacket then that dress would be acceptable on formal nights. The staff at the MDR are taking a more relaxed view to dress in the MDR.

Jeans are NOT accepted wear on formal nights! Even with a coat.

Hi Kevin

You must be sailing over by Japan if you are going on the Millennium. We were just on her second to last cruise to Alaska and then she was heading to Japan. She is a beautiful ship, needs a little repainting here and there but wonderful crew. She has the best crew in the fleet right now and the food is simply amazing. It was our second time on the Millennuim and we enjoyed our trip more this time. Staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure your trip is very thing you thought it would be.

Enjoy your trip.

I cannot wait for the serious comments about wanting to wear "designer jeans" or "tailored shorts" for formal nights because they look so classy!

And, Andy, thanks for the sticky! This is a great idea.

Hi Cruise Junky

We just returned from a 7 night cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity ship, Millennium. We had 2 formal nights, the ladies wore dresses or dress pants and a nice top and our men wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie. They did not take or wear a jacket and their dress was quite acceptable. Our husbands do have a tux, but if you are travelling where the weather maybe cold or wet you need space for those clothes, so the tuxedo stays home. Casual pants and golf shirts was acceptable for all the other evenings. Hope this helps.

Yes, Andy's message is missing key parts...

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Here we go again with the nice. Nice jeans, tee shirts or flip flops does not change what they are. Something about lipstick on a pig. I don't think jeans belong in the dining room on any night.

Whether or not you think they belong or not is irrelevant. Celebrity says they belong and they get the final say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must have missed something. I didn't see jeans mentioned anywhere. I only see were Celebrity says smart casual and above : Pants.

Well, we can all agree Celebrity gets final say.

I must have missed something. I didn't see jeans mentioned anywhere. I only see were Celebrity says smart casual and above : Pants.

Well, we can all agree Celebrity gets final say.

Personally I have no problem with jeans anywhere and anytime but the current Celebrity dress code specifies "slacks" on formal night. I think this probably excludes jeans but as has already been pointed out Celebrity does not seem to police this distinction.