Breakfast in main dining room

Merly

Hello, can someone please advise me if you can order off the breakfast menu in the MD or is it buffet only. I am aware there is a D+ section but we are travelling with others and want to eat together whilst avoiding the Windjammer.

Many thanks

Hello, can someone please advise me if you can order off the breakfast menu in the MD or is it buffet only. I am aware there is a D+ section but we are travelling with others and want to eat together whilst avoiding the Windjammer.

Many thanks

Yes there is a breakfast menu.

Yes there is a menu in the MD. It is basically the same thing day in and out. Please also know everything for breakfast is cooked in mass quantities and individualized out for mdr, room service orders. I really found the WJ breakfast to really be almost the freshest cooked, or with the scrambled eggs you could choose what you want. They do have an Omlet station in WJ.

If you are Diamond they do have a few other otions.

Many thanks

Most ships have a buffet in the Main Dining for breakfast, in addition to being able to order off the menu. The buffet is usually cold items like fruit, cereal, etc. Some ships also have a hot buffet.

Many thanks

Yes, you can order off the breakfast menu, plus you can also visit the buffet. Depending on the ship, the buffet can be quite extensive. There can be hot and cold dishes - have often ordered off the main menu and then gone to get extras from the buffet - e.g. extra fruit or whatever looked particularly good.

Also, there is not a D+ section on all ships.

Yes there is a menu in the MD. It is basically the same thing day in and out. Please also know everything for breakfast is cooked in mass quantities and individualized out for mdr, room service orders. I really found the WJ breakfast to really be almost the freshest cooked, or with the scrambled eggs you could choose what you want. They do have an Omlet station in WJ.

If you are Diamond they do have a few other otions.

Not all Windjammers have an omlet station - depends on the ship. Also, not all ships have additional places for diamond/diamond plus.

Diamond plus/suite guests can eat in the concierge lounge, menu items, (not just continental breakfast) on Oasis and Allure.

Have found the MDR to be the best of both worlds - you can order a "custom omlet" and still visit the buffet if there is something there you particularly like.

Many thanks for all the replies. We are sailing on the Explorer. I have been a bit worried about all the negative reviews ( I know she is due a refurb), but am sure we will have a wonderful time. We usually do!

Many thanks for all the replies. We are sailing on the Explorer. I have been a bit worried about all the negative reviews ( I know she is due a refurb), but am sure we will have a wonderful time. We usually do!
Where have you seen all these "negative reviews"?????:confused:

We LOVE the MDR for breakfast! A much more civilized way to enjoy breakfast!!

If by "more civilized" you mean that the service will likely be slow, your portion-controlled order of scrambled eggs will come in the form of an ice cream scooped ball, and the fact that you may have to search for the assistant waiter if you want a second order of breakfast pastries or toast etc.or a coffee refill, I would agree with you. Give me the much wider selection of breakfast items, including eggs cooked to order, available in the Windjammer and call me "uncivilized", but that's just me.:)

If by "more civilized" you mean that the service will likely be slow, your portion-controlled order of scrambled eggs will come in the form of an ice cream scooped ball, and the fact that you may have to search for the assistant waiter if you want a second order of breakfast pastries or toast etc.or a coffee refill, I would agree with you. Give me the much wider selection of breakfast items, including eggs cooked to order, available in the Windjammer and call me "uncivilized", but that's just me.:)

My hero. :D :p ;)

There are specials (ultimates) each day for breakfast in the MDR...... one is chocolate!

IMG_2465.jpg

Can you tell me at breakfast can you have apple or orange juice free of charge? I was looking under the juices and beverages on the menu, didn't know if that was included or something additional you had to pay for...

It's not you. It's the other hundreds aimlessly walking around like zombies carrying their food looking for a table while bumping into you and/or your chair. Cutting you in line, taking the last piece of bacon, eating off the buffet, coughing on the buffet... No, it's not you... :D:D:D

Yeah, I'm with you. I enjoy the MDR for breakfast once or twice during a week-long cruise, but most days we head for the buffet. Reasons we prefer it:

- We can choose our food and be seated right away, whereas you always wait in the MDR.

- We're not 'specially social in the morning, and we prefer not to be seated at a large table . . . and we feel kind of funny saying -- in front of other guests -- "Nah, I don't want to sit with these people." Do they think anything of it? Probably not, but it seems rude.

- No waiting for the food to be delivered; we're not into lengthy breakfasts.

- The buffet has a wider selection of breakfast items, including the only fresh eggs you'll get on board (we are big egg eaters).

- My husband and youngest daughter could probably eat a whole pig-ful of bacon . . . and at the buffet they can take so much bacon that they embarrass me. Sure, you could ask for this in the MDR, but you're not going to do so.

- The buffet is the only place to get Miso Soup, an Asian favorite that I love because it's filling and calorie-friendly.

Having said that, you should choose the MDR if:

- You want to eat pancakes or French toast. As these items "sit" in the buffet, they lose quality.

- You want the Eggs Benedict, though honestly it's so vastly inferior to mine that we always think we want it . . . but then we're a bit disappointed.

- You've never had the Chocolate Breakfast, though, to be perfectly honest, you probably won't go out of your way to hit this "event" on your next cruise.

Note: These opinions apply to breakfast only.