Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

RC fun cruiser you should be fine.

Today's disembarkation was a bit disorganized, which I chalk up to the combination of new ship & new terminal. We did walk off luggage, which meant we were in the first group to leave the ship, and we were outside looking for our car service by 8:10am. The ship docked around 6:30 (?) after our statue of liberty tour. I was home in northern New Jersey before 10. I know others with later times had a longer disembarkation process.

I can't offer any guarantees, but I would say there would have to be a BIG problem for you to miss a 2:45 flight from Newark which is only a few miles from the port. If you're concerned do the walk off luggage.

Hi everybody, we're home so I can answer a few questions.

I didn't read the whole thread so if there's anything out there that hasn't been covered, I would be happy to give my thoughts on it.

I haven't seen this answered elsewhere yet. A question we had asked is in reference to the normal mdr alternate dining selection menu of chicken breast, NY strip steak etc. which Adam Goldstein said in the DD reveal would be offered. Did you see any evidence of this alternate daily menu being available?

Thanks and glad you enjoyed Quantum. Sailing in two weeks on the inaugural.

I did express departure, took a taxi to Newark and easily made my 10.10am flight to Toronto.

Andrew

Thanks this is great to hear. That will be us next week heading home on Porter. Did you pre-book a taxi or just find one available? What was the charge to the airport?

If things are the same as with the 'old' Cape Liberty tent, there are shared vans available after you go through customs. The vans go to EWR, Newark Penn Station and occasionally stop at hotels on the route. Last month the cost was ~$16pp to EWR. No reservation needed. There was a queue under the tent before. I am guessing they will have something similar. It is about a 15 minute ride to EWR and they drop you off at you airline departure area.

Over the course of the week, it appears as though there are several mixed reports on how the IFLY works regarding any fees. Some have mentioned no fee on a different day to try again while others are saying there is a fee to use it again. If anyone knows the real scoop, please share it here. Thanks!

Over the course of the week, it appears as though there are several mixed reports on how the IFLY works regarding any fees. Some have mentioned no fee on a different day to try again while others are saying there is a fee to use it again. If anyone knows the real scoop, please share it here. Thanks!

They were originally telling us there would be a charge for additional flights beyond your first free one. however, no one on our sailing that I heard of was charged, including me. I don't know if that will be the case on future sailings or not. They were being very generous with us on the maiden voyage as we were testing out all the "hiccups" for them.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I haven't seen this answered elsewhere yet. A question we had asked is in reference to the normal mdr alternate dining selection menu of chicken breast, NY strip steak etc. which Adam Goldstein said in the DD reveal would be offered. Did you see any evidence of this alternate daily menu being available?

Thanks and glad you enjoyed Quantum. Sailing in two weeks on the inaugural.

Alternate selections were not available. My wife has Celiac and would have used them often instead of the very limited gluten free choices available. Maybe they'll add the alternate selections in the future but they weren't available (or shown anywhere on menus) on the Maiden.

Since many people on this thread appear to live in the area, would you please name some moderately priced hotels in or near Newark airport? How is the area around Newark?

Thank you.

I would ask that question in the East Coast Departures forum. Many helpful and knowledgeable people there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

My favorite pic of the morning.

[ATTACH]330720[/ATTACH]

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is a beautiful photo Tracy! :D

~Patti :)

The reports were great! Thanks so much.

Edited by Coralc

Thanks everyone for your appreciation! We still have more photos to publish on Shutterfly, and I'll do a report of the last day as disembarkation. I was also one of the crazy ones that woke up at 5am to watch and party during the sail in. Not a bad way to start a Monday. :)

re: Newark area hotels;

I like the area near Jersey Gardens mall. There are 3 hotels there. Spring Hill Suites, Embassy Suites, and Country Inn and suites. There are restaurants in the mall as well as a few places you could walk to across a parking lot. All have airport shuttles.

There is a Marriott right in the center of the airport, kind of dated but it suffices as well.

I wouldn't recommend downtown Newark.

Edited by kmurph22
decided to answer a question that wasn't already answered

When I take this cruise, I have booked a 2:45pm flight at Newark airport(the ship arrives at 7:00am). Do you guys think that is enought time to get off teh ship and to the airport?

The airport is about 20 minutes away.

In the morning you will be traveling to the airport the opposite way of the traffic heading to NYC.