Why is the city are area you are from not in your signature?

Hflors

I had to change my CC name because it was too revealing and was causing some problems I am certainly not going to list the town where I live. It is a small town. Maybe if I lived in a big city it would be different. It would be very easy to find me.

Terri

Even in a large town it can happen. A neighbor is a CC member. It really didn't take much to realize it.

I ran across a professor a few years back on a different board. In class a few nights later he made a statement almost word for word from one of his recent posts. (Gotta admit it was a funny story/line he repeated.)

I don't see any problem with saying which country you are in.

Sometimes posters ask questions about travel to Europe and it would be so much easier if we could see whether they are American, Canadian, Australian, European etc.

Surely nobody could trace you by saying you are in the USA :confused:

Edited by RollieUK

Hi

Just got up and doing my trawl through CC for our upcoming trip and felt I had to comment on this posting. I am quite paranoid about identity theft etc and it does surprise me how many people put their date of birth on the members list (check it out) along with their home town.

I have told friends to delete the DOB as that is a valuable piece of information to thieves===========this also applies to any online media ie Skype

Bye

Emmas gran

I live in a small seaside village in NSW Australia. Not many people from here go on cruises. I like my privacy and like others have posted I don't like the idea of identity theft or others knowing that I will be away for a lengthy period of time. I am proud to be known as an Aussie and am willing to give an Aussie's point of view. I have found over the years, in my many years of travelling, that people from different countries have different outlooks and points of view. This is one of the reasons that I love to travel and meet different people - to keep me from becoming set iand biases in my own personal views.

Unfortunately identity theft does go on and also the hijacking of Facebook identities, I am very careful. I have just been watching the nightly news and they had an item on about "metadata" and governments and others knowing your every move. I am not "out there" , but am careful. I

I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps to understand why others are careful.

I do like to know the country of the poster. Sometimes a question will be asked that has different answers depending on the country of the cruiser.

I do, too. Helps provide a broader picture. Agree with others about specific info, like the city, but a general area is really helpful with perspective.

We do not list the city as we did not want burglars while we were gone and we are careful about who we tell about our travels. Learned to not be overt about travel when an intern robbed a co-worker's home as she had listed "on vacation to Hawaii" on the sign out board. Know people who put every detail on social media and just wonder.

I don't list my city of residence as I do not feel that it adds anything to the discussion. I actually think that many times residency may actually deter from a discussion as it leads some posters to attribute stereotypes and assumptions to a particular poster.

I figure that since the city is in my CC name, it does not matter!

I have used this handle on many different boards over the past 15 or so years and never had a problem, but I agree that posting too much information is not a good idea.

This is one reason that I never post on the FB roll call. There people know your name and exactly when you will be gone - not good IMO.

DaveOKC

I was able to learn the identity of a well known poster on this board without even trying. A friend was talking about her neighbour's cruise in progress and a few things rang bells. I asked if the name of ******** meant anything to her and it certainly did.

Not being a stalker or anything but ******* and I subsequently became quite good friends in real life.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I hope this question didn't make too many people too unconfortable. I wish the world was a different place and we could all share any info we wanted, but I sadly know that will not happen.

I will continue to share at least the area where I live in. Its a large location. Of coursse I use to share my hometown when I loved in Maryland and the population was only 2500.

Funny for many, many years our phone # was listed in the telephone book. People use to say to us "Why do you do that?" And (this is a true story) this is what I would always tell them.

When my husband was a child he and his little brother were separated. My husband was sent with his two older sisters to live and his little brother stayed with my husband's step-mother. From almost the moment we were married we began to search for my husband's brother. For seventeen years we searched thru phone books and kept returning to NY where my husband was originally from to find my BIL. This was in the day before internet. Then a friend of mine told me about going thru Social Security Admin. to find people. Well after 17 years one day I got a call from someone that I didn't recognize. It was my husband's long lost brother. The letter that SSI forwarded to him had our return address and he simply called info in our area. Needless to say the next weekend it was a wonderful reunion for the two brother who had not seen each other in 40 years!!! Sadly they only had 20 years together, but there were wonderful and very happy years for the two brothers.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that not all bad things happen if you share a bit of info.

Helen

Common sense dictates limiting personal details. Some broad indication helps others understand your points of view as they may reflect regional or national cultural preferences.

What I cannot understand is the amount of personal information people will post on Facebook - some posts giving almost precise information about where they live, and other posts giving precise vacation information: essentially advertising when their homes will be empty. I have had serious discussions with my daughters about what I felt was reckless blabbing.

I'm new to cruising (see below) and haven't been on this forum very long, but I have seen a number of participants mention the city or state they're from in threads here.

After lurking here for a couple of weeks I registered a name that would 1) Identify me as a Sailor (mainly for other Sailors I may happen to meet on a cruise - I'll be the guy wearing a ship's ball cap*), and 2) because I listed my home as the "Rockies," the three digits following following my name is an area code of a specific sub range of the Rockies, narrowing it down further.

And I regret that name, because it doesn't say enough. I later added Bill & Pam to the signature. What I should have originally gone for was SailorBillfromsouthTexas&PamfromNorCallivingonthewesternslopeoftheWasatchMountainsinnorthernUtah, but I suspect that would have exceed the letter limit.

Like the OP, I would like to know where the person I'm talking to is from, especially if they're not from the US. Then again, I also understand if they don't want to share that information and respect their choices.

*But never, EVER indoors on a HAL ship. I really do read this forum.

We do not list the city as we did not want burglars while we were gone and we are careful about who we tell about our travels. Learned to not be overt about travel when an intern robbed a co-worker's home as she had listed "on vacation to Hawaii" on the sign out board. Know people who put every detail on social media and just wonder.

Obviuosly I am showing my age , but I will never understand why people do that too.

Its like saying "HI we are 5000 miles away from home , so help yourself to the house " *LOL* And who gives a rats behind what you had for dinner, how long you have been sitting in traffic, how slow the cashier at the supermarket is ...blah blah blah

I actually loved the good ole days when you had a phone in your house and that was it. Once you walked out the front door , you disappeared. Some one called you weren't there to answer the phone .....you were "out" plain and simple.

And with didn't have the amateur papprazzi out and about taking your picture every where you went.

It bothers me a little that people feel that they have to explain why they choose not to list their place of residence. No one on here needs or has a right to know it, and it is not a requirement of the forum. Some have actually criticized those who choose not to give the information, or at least undermined the reasoning. Let it go, listing your place of residence is not an indication of friendliness.;)

Obviuosly I am showing my age , but I will never understand why people do that too.

Its like saying "HI we are 5000 miles away from home , so help yourself to the house " *LOL* And who gives a rats behind what you had for dinner, how long you have been sitting in traffic, how slow the cashier at the supermarket is ...blah blah blah

I actually loved the good ole days when you had a phone in your house and that was it. Once you walked out the front door , you disappeared. Some one called you weren't there to answer the phone .....you were "out" plain and simple.

And with didn't have the amateur papprazzi out and about taking your picture every where you went.

^^ YES to that. :)

We didn't even have to bother with answering machines I 'the good old days'. :D

If your boyfriend called and you were out, you got to worry all night if he called or not!! :)

I figure that since the city is in my CC name, it does not matter!

I have used this handle on many different boards over the past 15 or so years and never had a problem, but I agree that posting too much information is not a good idea.

This is one reason that I never post on the FB roll call. There people know your name and exactly when you will be gone - not good IMO.

DaveOKC

I'm new to cruising (see below) and haven't been on this forum very long, but I have seen a number of participants mention the city or state they're from in threads here.

After lurking here for a couple of weeks I registered a name that would 1) Identify me as a Sailor (mainly for other Sailors I may happen to meet on a cruise - I'll be the guy wearing a ship's ball cap*), and 2) because I listed my home as the "Rockies," the three digits following following my name is an area code of a specific sub range of the Rockies, narrowing it down further.

We give away information without knowing it. Not being from Oklahoma or even the USA I would never have guessed that OKC stood for Oklahoma City. And listing "the rockies" I would never have guessed anywhere other than Alberta in Canada. I would not associate 801 with an area code either.

There was an older thread of why people chose the names they use and it was very interesting. Something I think is obvious is not to someone else. But there are alwasy people trolling to find out more about you than you want to reveal.

^^ YES to that. :)

We didn't even have to bother with answering machines I 'the good old days'. :D

If your boyfriend called and you were out, you got to worry all night if he called or not!! :)

*LOL*

When I was still living home (before the advent of answering machines ) Mom was the best receptionist a guy could have *LOL*. I was "OUT" end of the story. Whats your name and number and she'll see I got the message . She didn't tell anyone where I was , who I was with, when I would be back. NOTHING

In a moment of insanity I gave my number to a girl who started calling me constantly and I couldn't get rid of.

Mom had had more than enough. She finally called and rudely asked "Is he getting my messages?" My mother answered "Yes , you have called 12 times in 3 days < i have told him all 12 times and he has yet to call you back ...ARE YOU GETTING HIS MESSAGE?????

Never heard from her again. *LOL*

Edited by babyher

Honestly, I typically just breeze through the stuff when registering and anything that isn't required I don't fill in. If I do it, usually is something stupid as I'm frustrated by the fact I have to fill in so much or I'm trying to be funny. Here didn't require it, so i didn't put anything in.

My location: too far away from vacation! ;)

On the boards, I'd not be too worried.

Now folks who join roll calls on Facebook showing when/how long they're going to be gone are just FOOLISH. I'll be right there to make sure I take EVERYTHING from you 2 days after you leave.

Edited by Viesczy

*LOL*

When I was still living home (before the advent of answering machines ) Mom was the best receptionist a guy could have *LOL*. I was "OUT" end of the story. Whats your name and number and she'll see I got the message . She didn't tell anyone where I was , who I was with, when I would be back. NOTHING

In a moment of insanity I gave my number to a girl who started calling me constantly and I couldn't get rid of.

Mom had had more than enough. She finally called and rudely asked "Is he getting my messages?" My mother answered "Yes , you have called 12 times in 3 days < i have told him all 12 times and he has yet to call you back ...ARE YOU GETTING HIS MESSAGE?????

Never heard from her again. *LOL*

I so want to meet your Mom. She sounds like my kind of lady. :)

Now you........ you heartbreaker!!!! :D :D You probably wrecked that girl for life, never married and is still pining away for you. ;) :eek: