I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

Thanks for sticking with those of us who have supported you. Also, give your friend a break, I am sure he feels awful. I can't believe how you stuck with us after some of the crap some of these idiots posted, it showed me how much character you have. You helped more people than you will ever know. God bless you and your family.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks for the relating your experiences for all to see. It was definitely a wake up call for a lot of people. :) You handled things extremely well in trying circumstances. Kudos to you!!! :)

Don't know what planet Cuizer2 lives on but insurance is certainly mandatory in California to drive as well as most other states. You also can't have a mortgage without homeowners insurance anywhere

No, insurance is NOT mandatory in California. You can meet the financial responsibility requirement by posting a bond.

See California vehicle code sections 16434, 16435 and 16436 ...

16434. Proof of financial responsibility may be given by a bond.

The bond shall be conditioned for the payment of the amount specified

in Section 16430, and shall provide for the entry of judgment on

motion of the state in favor of any holder of any final judgment on

account of damages to property over seven hundred fifty dollars

($750) in amount, or injury to any person caused by the operation of

the person's motor vehicle.

16435. Proof of financial responsibility may be given by the

deposit of thirty-five thousand dollars ($35,000), as provided in

Section 16054.2. The department shall not accept a deposit where any

judgment theretofore obtained against that person as a result of

damages arising from the operation of any motor vehicle shall not

have been paid in full.

16436. Proof of financial responsibility may be given by the

written certificate of a self-insurer holding a certificate of

self-insurance for bodily injury and property damage issued by the

department.

Edited by Cuizer2

I believe they were referring to first-party insurance (which generally isn't required), and not liability (which generally is required).

They were also making the point that if you don't have a mortgage, you don't have to have homeowner's insurance.

Once again, the financial responsibility requirement (aka liability insurance) can be satisfied by posting a bond. See California Vehicle code sections 16434, 16435 and 16436. See the prior post for additional details.

Edited by Cuizer2

klfhngr, at any point during your adventure, did you feel that more could have been done by the port and/or the cruise line? In other words, did you feel that sufficient processes were in place by the port and cruise line to adequately handle the dilemma of stranded cruise ship passengers?

Once again, the financial responsibility requirement (aka liability insurance) can be satisfied by posting a bond. See California Vehicle code sections 16434, 16435 and 16436. See the prior post for additional details.

And what would a 35K bond cost. No idea how that works. What good is $35k coverage in a bad accident?

Edited by SeaUs

OP, many thanks for taking the time (and abuse!) in sharing your story. Your's really is a cautionary tale. I always considered myself travel-savvy, but I have learned a lot from reading about your experiences. So I thank you for that. I hope your future vacations will be calm and uneventful!! Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you. I have always carried my passport and credit cards in the ports. Now I know I am making the right decision. I have always felt you never know what can happen. We also keep photo copies in the safe and pictures on my phone. I carry the passport in an RFD protector case. Plus my bag is a slashproof pacsafe bag. Living in NYC as a child I was taught to always be aware of those around me and walk with a purpose.

I don't obsess about much in life but this I do.

I am glad it all turned out well.

I have always done this too and I will continue to. To read some of the reasons people leave their passports on the ship I'm surprised they don't leave their them home where they are really safe.:rolleyes:

Aye Matey,

When you're spinning yarns, you may want to proof read your copy before you post. You almost had me up until the end of your tale. That's until you said:

"I go thru and head straight to a hiding place, the pub! I call my wife and tell her that I'm on! YEA!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting to hear for any announcements with my name. I hear none, so I head up to the room!

Cabin steward welcomes me back, she's happy to see me. She told my wife the day before that she would never forgive my friend, lol!

She gives me a new key, ship is moving and I'm good!

I head to Guest Services. They give me another key, welcome me back. We had over $300 in OBC, but there was some confusion as to where it all went. "

So, if you would be so kind, please tell us how you got into your room without a key before going to guest services to get a replacement? It would be quite serendipitous to happen to arrive at your room at precisely the same time the stateroom attendant was tidying it up. Would it not? And, unless things have drastically changed since my last cruise, I'm pretty sure that stateroom attendants don't have the authority or equipment to dispense room keys.

In any event, it was a great entertaining tale, some very good suggestions came out of it and it was really good fodder for the flamers.

If you ever get out of IT, I'm pretty sure there may be future for you in writing.

Edited by AltarEgo

Thank you. I have always carried my passport and credit cards in the ports. Now I know I am making the right decision. I have always felt you never know what can happen. We also keep photo copies in the safe and pictures on my phone. I carry the passport in an RFD protector case. Plus my bag is a slashproof pacsafe bag. Living in NYC as a child I was taught to always be aware of those around me and walk with a purpose.

I don't obsess about much in life but this I do.

I am glad it all turned out well.

Have you ever just gone to the beach on your own at a port?

What do you do with your phone and pass port when you go in the water or for that matter a long walk on the beach in your swim suit?

It's usually only my husband and me so taking turns watching the stuff isn't that much fun. Any advice is appreciated.

And what would a 35K bond cost. No idea how that works. What good is $35k coverage in a bad accident?

As to not knowing how the bond works, that was obvious from your prior post when you suggested that it was I who didn't know.

All I said was that insurance was not mandatory. Some (including you) argued (wrongly) that I didn't know what I was talking about. I thus cited the the California vehicle codes that proves I was right.

If you are a careful driver $35K is more than enough. It has been more than enough for me for over forty years. However, if you are a careless driver and feel you need more coverage, you can always either buy insurance, you can buy excess insurance over your bond or you can keep $100,000 in a liquid interest earning account and use that if you screw up. That way you save all those insurance premiums, and your money, if you drive carefully. It is not hard to do. It is called defensive driving.

Nonetheless, in California, 15/30/5 is all you need. Many people have only this amount of insurance coverage. And more to the point, as I originally said, liability insurance is NOT mandatory in California.

Edited by Cuizer2

First off wow, just wow to the flamers and nit picky nay-sayers out there. Secondly, thank you op for your story. I will definitely remember all of this when packing up to go ashore as I am the person in our family that takes on the responsibility of our documents.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I have always done this too and I will continue to. To read some of the reasons people leave their passports on the ship I'm surprised they don't leave their them home where they are really safe.:rolleyes:

HAHA...same here. I always take mine with me. Not going to do me much good in the safe in the ship.

After talking to them and my friend, the brother of the one that didn't show up (let me explain, the friend that didn't show up, his brother went also), it was time to say goodbye. The phone line was bad, I think because they were getting further and further at sea. I did hear him say FACEBOOK! Finally, good bye, be careful dad and they were all gone.

I looked at the working phone, I realized that it only had 36% of life left, and the charger was NOT for this phone. I sent a few texts to my boys and wife and one of them answered. I also texted my friend, he replied. So at least I knew I could contact someone if I needed too.

I couldn't rest in the room, it was too hot. So I went downstairs. They had two pc's, so I hopped on one. I went straight to Facebook and found my friend, he purchased an internet package just to keep in touch with me. We spoke for a while, trying to make a plan. My wife and boys talked a little, I finally told them to GO HAVE FUN! You're on the ship, ENJOY IT! I'll be ok! GO! So go they did.

I didn't want to go back to the room, so I started posting on FB. A few friends started replying, they could not believe that ME, xxxx would ever miss a ship! Then next thing you know, my T/A sends me a chat! Can you believe it, my TA? Which type of TA would do that? As soon as she hears of my ordeal, she goes into mother hen mode, lol :) Where am I, am I safe? What do you have on you? Etc.. I explained the whole story and she made a few great recommendations. Start looking for flights NOW. I explained to her what Alfred said, she again strongly recommended that I start looking now. So glad I did, I'll explain shortly.

The part that amazes me the most was that my travel agent, who happened to be celebrating Thanksgiving, was actually talking to ME, comforting me and actually making plans for ME! I felt so at ease, finally. I actually felt like my life was going back to normal, I spoke to my family, friends, my TA, lol, and even a few on FB.

So, I began to look for air....

From Post No. 1: "I've stayed away from CC since before the cruise on Allure from the 12th - 19th. I'll give a brief overview at a later time, but I did miss the ship in Nassau and want to share what to expect."

OK, which is it? Thanksgiving or the 12th -19th???

Why would they go and check the safe if the family was standing right there?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, overwhelming! And the kind comments about being a good/great dad :) I think 99% of you moms and dads would've done the same thing...

Skillet, Peace, GMAN, maybe down the road we'll run into each other on another cruise... I'm just glad that you guys had a great time, I saw the pics, lol!

Regarding the safe, I need to make a quick clarification: Security actually went into our safe when my wife was NOT THERE! We were talking last night about this, and she said, 'no, they went thru our safe when we WERE'NT there'.

Anyhow, just a heads up that they will go thru your stuff should you miss the ship. I think the reason they did this was to make sure that I had all of my 'stuff', i.e., pp., bc, money, wallet, etc. If not, they would've taken it and given it to the port authority.

And regarding the Allure, I really loved the ship, but we had a few service related issues. Who knows, maybe my 'side excursion' changed my perspective. I think I'll give the Allure one more shot.

And regarding booking excursions outside of the cruise line: We've done this many many times and have never had an issue. These other companies rely on the cruise industry. They try their hardest to get you back on the ship in time. True, the ship most likely will not wait for these groups, but speaking for myself, I've never had an issue.

Also, regarding my friend and those that asked/mentioned that he should pay for all of my expenses, I forgot to mention this: On his was to your meeting point to the airport, his suitcase flew our of the back of his truck! He went back and it was gone! ALL of his clothes for the trip was in there, everything! So, in Florida, he had to spend about $800 in clothes! Perhaps that was another factor in me being kind, lol! :)

Thanks so much for telling your story. Missing the ship has always been a fear of mine, which is why I always arrive back to the ship about 2 hours prior to departure...lol. I always travel with a passport but since reading your story I just made a photocopy of it and took a photo of it as well. Glad you were able to reunite with your family and sorry that had to go through this ordeal as well.

I actually stayed at the Melia this past January (ran a race in the Bahamas). Nice hotel and great location.

Edited by ReRe71

From Post No. 1: "I've stayed away from CC since before the cruise on Allure from the 12th - 19th. I'll give a brief overview at a later time, but I did miss the ship in Nassau and want to share what to expect."

Perhaps his travel agent is actually in Canada where Thanksgiving was celebrated on Oct. 13.

SDATX - Canada's Thanksgiving?

KLFHNGR - Thanks for posting your story. It was helpful, interesting and entertaining. Being retired we travel a lot (only some on cruises) and we know anything can happen anywhere. How you handled your situation was great. You did not blame everyone else and you rejoined your family. You should be commended for trying to help others with your story and not have every detail picked apart.

It may be buried somewhere since I last viewed, hopefully it was posted; does anyone have the costs for the hotel, food, flights, incidentals, paperwork, etc. Curious to find out what a situation like this costs when you've got to play catch up and are subjected to last minute rates.

What a trip from the flying luggage out of the truck...to u missing the ship...almost like bad Karma....like us...

everytime we go on vacation it RAINS, I mean rains buckets and buckets...so by now everyone that knows us says "WERE NOT GOING WITH U, AS IT RAINS ALL THE TIME!!" :eek:

SO GLAD IT TURNED OUT WELL AND U FINISHED YOUR STORY AND thankyou :D FOR THE INFO AS WE WILL NOW DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY! :D

BEST WISHES AND God BLESS U!!

From ddcile55

Aye Matey,

When you're spinning yarns, you may want to proof read your copy before you post. You almost had me up until the end of your tale. That's until you said:

"I go thru and head straight to a hiding place, the pub! I call my wife and tell her that I'm on! YEA!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting to hear for any announcements with my name. I hear none, so I head up to the room!

Cabin steward welcomes me back, she's happy to see me. She told my wife the day before that she would never forgive my friend, lol!

She gives me a new key, ship is moving and I'm good!

I head to Guest Services. They give me another key, welcome me back. We had over $300 in OBC, but there was some confusion as to where it all went. "

So, if you would be so kind, please tell us how you got into your room without a key before going to guest services to get a replacement? It would be quite serendipitous to happen to arrive at your room at precisely the same time the stateroom attendant was tidying it up. Would it not? And, unless things have drastically changed since my last cruise, I'm pretty sure that stateroom attendants don't have the authority or equipment to dispense room keys.

In any event, it was a great entertaining tale, some very good suggestions came out of it and it was really good fodder for the flamers.

If you ever get out of IT, I'm pretty sure there may be future for you in writing.

Is it possible the room attendant just happened to be nearby (whether cleaning his room, another room, or just checking on things), recognized him, and let him into the room?

OP, thanks for the story. I am also interested in a break down of costs if you want to share/get a chance.

For all those criticizing how long it took to post... if it annoyed you that much, simply stop reading the thread. If it wasn't for the complainers, this would have been wrapped up in about 10 pages (if that).

More & more anomalies in the story, definitely...

So he lives in Southern California but uses a Canadian travel agent? Hmm...

Or maybe the TA is from Canada and was celebrating the holiday with her family?

Man there are some suspicious people here. So for all you cynics, if he is making this up/embellishing, so what?

I'm still shaking my head at some of the disbelievers on here. On the plus side, I have added several posters to my blocked list so I won't have to see any more of their mean posts on future threads.

I live in TX but use a TA who lives in PA. So what? What does geography have to do with finding a good TA, which the OP apparently has?