RCCL BOOKED A b2b now claims violates jones act HELP

London Bridge

First , thanks to all of you for your diligence and expertise in investigating our issue regarding violation of the PVSA / "Jones" Act. We really appreciate all the thought and research. We only wish the RCCL travel agent on board the Radiance had taken half as much care with booking our B2B despite us bringing up the question of a Jones Act Violation and being assured that this wasn't the case...Oh well...

As it stands now. With the ship docking in Victoria at 6PM our only option to keep the two cruises in tact is to debark in Victoria, stay one night in a hotel, and take a 6AM or 8AM flight to Seattle to catch our 1:15 plane. It sounds doable... Celebrity has so far offered to refund $200 each for the missed cruise night, which should cover hotel and transfers and $300 each to cover flights to Seattle or a ticket change should we cancel the second leg (Alaska) and fly home from Vancouver. Since the actual change in the ticket price is now $2000 that is not an option. A third option is to cancel both cruises and take a credit on Alaska Air/United for the air fare we purchase and also hope to get a refund on the B&B in Kaui we also booked pre-cruise...

My husband feels that Celebrity should refund the night on the ship plus cover the cost of a hotel for the inconvenience and loss of the night on the ship. He does not feel they should make us use our refund for this cost.

So there you have it! Thank you all again. You are great. Hope to see you on a cruse somewhere.

Am I understanding correctly that your husband thinks Celebrity should pay twice for the same thing?

He wants a refund for the missed night, plus Celebrity should pay for the hotel room for that night?

Look at it this way - if the original cruise had been Vancouver to Victoria, the price would have been less the refund cost that you're getting back. Then you would be paying for a hotel for that night anyway. You'd still need that hotel room, because of the late arrival in Victoria.

hcat, the OP said this booking was made while onboard Radiance, so RCI mishandled from the git-go, which is why I think X should step up their assistance in problem-solving.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Absolutely, but not going to join the debate about how or how much.

..the agent booking it should lose any fee ( if they get one) and definitely be re-trained! Plus a memo to all those Celeb staff who do bookings on land and sea,

Hi Fran and Geoff,

We were with you on the Radiance last Feb. when you booked your cruises. We remember your having doubts about the cruises related to the Jones Act and we also remember when you booked, having been reassured that there was no problem. What a hassle now and through no fault of yours. Thinking of you and wishing you a positive resolution that acknowledges the unecessary inconvenience. Hoping to run into you both again soon on a cruise. We are doing a South America cruise in March - our first on Celebrity and a Pacific coastal on Rcci in Sept. All the best to you!

Pat and Don

As it stands now. With the ship docking in Victoria at 6PM our only option to keep the two cruises in tact is to debark in Victoria, stay one night in a hotel, and take a 6AM or 8AM flight to Seattle to catch our 1:15 plane. It sounds doable... Celebrity has so far offered to refund $200 each for the missed cruise night, which should cover hotel and transfers and $300 each to cover flights to Seattle or a ticket change should we cancel the second leg (Alaska) and fly home from Vancouver.
If I am understanding you correctly, that looks like a fair and reasonable offer to me. The total of $1,000 they are offering should cover your costs to spend the night at the beautiful, historic Empress Hotel overlooking the harbor

28913296.jpg

and then catch a seaplane right there at the harbor the following morning for a scenic excursion that leaves you off at Seatac airport to catch your flight home.

If I were in your position, I would not hesitate to accept that offer.

Even if they would let me remain on the cruise ship for another night instead, ending the vacation trip with a combination of Empress Hotel plus seaplane ride would be much more appealing to me. :)

I would be delighted if they would offer me a deal like that as the ending to my next Alaska cruise. :D

Edited by fleckle

Yes they do but we don't arrive in Victoria until evening

Celebrity will pay for a hotel but not sure we can make a flight a 1:15 the next day from Seattle . It was the last flight of the day.

Been keeping up with this thread, but admit to not reading it all. ;)

If the ship does not arrive into Victoria until 6:00pm, when does it arrive in Seattle? Does it give you only a few hours, at night, to roam around Victoria and then cruise on over to Seattle during the night/early morning hours?

I'd take the offered from Celebrity, but not sure if I would pay high bucks to stay in the Empress Hotel just for a bed and a few hours sleep. Spend time walking through the hotel to take it all in (too bad that you will not be there early enough to enjoy the High Tea) and then stay someplace less expensive and possibly near the airport.;)

Can someone tell me if the following is a violation of the PVSA?

A b2b cruise on the Summit, first leg a 14 night NE/Canada round trip from Cape Liberty NJ. Then staying on the Summit continuing on a 6 day Carribean cruise ending in San Juan PR.

Thanks for any information

Can someone tell me if the following is a violation of the PVSA?

A b2b cruise on the Summit, first leg a 14 night NE/Canada round trip from Cape Liberty NJ. Then staying on the Summit continuing on a 6 day Carribean cruise ending in San Juan PR.

Thanks for any information

No. Cruises to/from Puerto Rico are exempt from the PVSA law.

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

I live in Victoria.

The Celebrity Alaska cruises usually dock at 7 pm and leave between 10:30 and 11:30pm giving the cruiser little time in port.

I think quite a few people would love the opportunity to overnight.

Yes, the Empres is expensive and may be a bit of a waste of money, you can always have a stroll through it and have a drink in one of the bars. There are plenty of other hotels around the Inner Harbour that you could stay in for less.

Staying in the Inner Harbour area will mean you are a short taxi ride away from your hotel when you disembark the ship, you have plenty of good restaurants available for dinner - though you could stay onboard to eat and just go to one of the nice pubs along Government Street for a night cap etc, and it is a wonderful area to stroll around in the evening.

If you opt to stay the night I would highly urge you to stay in the area recommended above, and (like others have said) take the float plane out of the inner harbour over to Seattle.

It will be so much easier on you than having to do the 45min to the Airport - and don't forget you will have to check in at least 2 hr early because you will be taking an international flight.

If you need more info about Victoria email me (between the dancing men).

Cheers, h.

Hi Fran and Geoff,

We were with you on the Radiance last Feb. when you booked your cruises. We remember your having doubts about the cruises related to the Jones Act and we also remember when you booked, having been reassured that there was no problem. What a hassle now and through no fault of yours. Thinking of you and wishing you a positive resolution that acknowledges the unecessary inconvenience. Hoping to run into you both again soon on a cruise. We are doing a South America cruise in March - our first on Celebrity and a Pacific coastal on Rcci in Sept. All the best to you!

Pat and Don

Hi it is nice to hear from you! We are hoping to resolve this. If hope you enjoy your march cruise :)) and September . Would love to catch up my email is schwartzf88 at gmail dot com

Not sure if anyone has suggested this, but another fix is for you to get on in Sydney. Not sure if you have the $$$$ or the time but sure would be a nice fix ;)

I thought about this a few pages back. In a perfect world it would be the perfect solution I'm sure. :D

Hoping the OP let's us all know in the end which solution they chose. I was surprised the possibility of cancelling was discussed. Most people here would do anything not to cancel a cruise.

OP is not coming from Australia! See post one. OP is an American who was on an RCI Australian cruise in February and while onboard, booked this two-leg X trip. 😀

OP is not coming from Australia! See post one. OP is an American who was on an RCI Australian cruise in February and while onboard, booked this two-leg X trip. 😀

Yeah, I know..so? Americans suddenly can't board a ship in Sydney? They're already flying to Hawaii. If they had the time and money it would be a great leg to add on.

Very frustrating I can imagine. I would disembark in Vancouver, rent a car, and drive to Seattle. We have done that a couple of times - no big deal at all. A pain in the neck? For sure. Frustrating? Yes. But doable? Absolutely. Border crossing times can vary, but it can take as little as two hours to make the trip. I imagine at night there would not be really long lines.

I am not saying this as a slam against the OP, but it is another example of why travelers need to be skeptical about taking the word of others in these situations. RCI and Celebrity customer service folks are so often wrong about other things, I would double-check just about anything they said, especially something this important. If I suspected there might be a violation to one of these archaic maritime laws, I would recommend doing my own homework in addition to listening to the cruise line. A good lesson learned for the rest of us.

Very frustrating I can imagine. I would disembark in Vancouver, rent a car, and drive to Seattle. We have done that a couple of times - no big deal at all. A pain in the neck? For sure. Frustrating? Yes. But doable? Absolutely. Border crossing times can vary, but it can take as little as two hours to make the trip. I imagine at night there would not be really long lines.

I am not saying this as a slam against the OP, but it is another example of why travelers need to be skeptical about taking the word of others in these situations. RCI and Celebrity customer service folks are so often wrong about other things, I would double-check just about anything they said, especially something this important. If I suspected there might be a violation to one of these archaic maritime laws, I would recommend doing my own homework in addition to listening to the cruise line. A good lesson learned for the rest of us.

The issue OP has with debarking in Vancouver, is that it's a week before their flight back home. They'd have to change their flights (at a bigger expense than Celebrity is offering them) or spend the time in Seattle (also at a higher cost than Celebrity is offering to reimburse them for).

I still think the best offer is the get off in Victoria with $200 each refund for the missed night onboard, plus $300 each for hotel costs.

Edited by Shmoo here

I still think the best offer is the get off in Victoria with $200 each refund for the missed night onboard, plus $300 each for hotel costs.

Agreed. I may try and talk them into 75% off the Aussie leg first :p but failing that, get off in Victoria. Also Alaska won't be charging any change fees this far out so may even stretch my time out

We've cruised to Hawaii and twice to Alaska. They are both magnificent places, and my advice to you would be to definitely not cancel your trip. Our most recent Alaska trip was just two months ago. Our cruise stopped in Victoria for about 6 hours on Labor Day. We loved the area so much that we would like to go back there and stay a few days. On our cruise, there were a number of crew members and some entertainers that left the cruise in Victoria. If I were you, I would disembark in Victoria and spend a few relaxing days there before heading home. This would mean changing your flight, but for me, it would be worth it. You could still fly out of Seattle a few days later, and not have to rush. As we walked around town, we saw several other hotels besides the Empress that would probably be less expensive. Your cruise sounds incredible. I wouldn't miss it, if I were you.