Why is US customs so crappy

Ex-Airbalancer

Friends have been waiting over 3-1/2 hours to get off the Reflection TA

Last year we wait about 3 hours to get off the Equniox after the fall TA

Why is the US customs so crappy, it does not take any time at all to clear customs heading into Europe?

Guess you've never landed at Heathrow in the morning with all the other overseas flights then.

It would be helpful if our customs service would adequately staff these posts and adopt the system they use in Europe: one line for EU passport holders, another line for all others.

But, absolute power corrupts absolutely. They can do whatever they want.

Guess you've never landed at Heathrow in the morning with all the other overseas flights then.

It would be helpful if our customs service would adequately staff these posts and adopt the system they use in Europe: one line for EU passport holders, another line for all others.

I like Heathrow

Landed in Heathrow twice with 65 mins to caught the connecting flight , no problems :D

The only easy time to get into the States is if you clear customs in the airports in Canada , at Toronto airport it a steady moving line less then 1/2 hour

Our first TA 2012 into Fort Lauderdale, they had 2 lines, the non US line moved quickly , last year was a joke

Edited by Airbalancer

In Miami Airport there are those sepparate lines : some for US Citizens and some for non US citizens.

We landed in Atlanta with valid ESTA and flew to Miami. Went to a b2b cruise and had to immigrate after one week in Miami - didn't take the ESTA print outs with our passports and had to wait in an extra room for a ok to get back in the ship. The ESTA confirmation had been in our stateroom safe - I expected I won't need to take this as it says you don't need a print out. I can tell you we really felt like criminals without any reason. But we were treated politely, anyhow....:mad:

Well, ok - we will back now after a few years in other countries...

Edited by black forest

Also remember that since this is the first landing for the Ship in the US, the Ship itself and entire crew must also pass Customs and Immigration. This is usually done onboard the ship I believe PRIOR to the passengers being able to disembark and enter baggage claim and Customs. All of our TA Cruises have had the same issues, the long wait is not unusual after a TA.

Also remember that since this is the first landing for the Ship in the US, the Ship itself and entire crew must also pass Customs and Immigration. This is usually done onboard the ship I believe PRIOR to the passengers being able to disembark and enter baggage claim and Customs. All of our TA Cruises have had the same issues, the long wait is not unusual after a TA.

They are probably searching the ship with sniffer dogs, just because the ship has been in Europe.

As others have said delays after TA are the norm. I expect a delay when I return on Constellation November, 21st. Delays for boarding passengers after the TA are also to be expected due to Coast Guard inspections. I've experienced that as well. Getting upset will do. Nothing to improve the situation. Will only make your stress level rise. Always interesting to me to watch how different personality types react.

Edited by Orator

It has been that way for decades, particularly so after 9/11.

Consider also that over 4K people must pass through customs within a narrow timeframe. Imagine 10 Boeing 747s loaded with passengers arriving at an international terminal at the same time.

I don't like the wait either but it is what it is and I just plan for it.

We disembarked Reflection this morning, and yes there were long delays, due to Customs. All non US citizens had to be finger printed. Celebrity did a great job keeping everyone informed. No complaints.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We disembarked Reflection this morning, and yes there were long delays, due to Customs. All non US citizens had to be finger printed. Celebrity did a great job keeping everyone informed. No complaints.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have to be fingerprinted and have our Iris print taken every time we enter the USA, even though we have the new chip passports, which have all our details embedded.

Aren't records kept on computers in the USA; so much time and money could be saved.

Edited by upwarduk

Comparison with Australia - between New Zealand and Oz there were immigration people on board and we had timed windows to go to the MDR to get things sorted. All went like clockwork.

No issues with customs clearance in Melbourne. Nor in Sydney where we had an overnight. On disembarkation there was a bit of a queue but we were out before our pre-booked taxi arrived.

As for the US - be careful about your mutterings. Your IP address will already be tracked and in the database and next time you land there will be someone snapping a glove on while he/she waits for you. :eek:

You are so right. Heathrow is brutal.

4 hours is also horrible. Probably with everything going on, it won't get better. I wouldn't think Saturdays would be that bad unless they understaff on Saturdays.

Kind of answers some of the question of those wanting a tight flight time, doesn't it?

LINDA add another person who was about to post… "what about HEATHROW!"

And I have to say that I've had my 2nd worst customs and immigration issue in the Vancouver airport. It wasn't 4 hours but close to 3 hours STANDING in line. And they had these skylights and the sun was pouring down, the A/C insufficient (summer) and there was no place to sit. Honestly I'd rather sit on a boat for 4 hours than stand in a very hot line for almost 3. YMMV.

Part of the reason is due to the "sequestration" that took place a few years ago. The government hasnt allocated the proper funding that customs has been asking for. My friend who works for US Customs in DC told me this; he said they just dont have the manpower to authorize more hiring, and they can't be granted overtime anymore. My suggestion, write your congressperson if you want it to change anytime soon.

We are waiting to see Reflection sail out at 4 p.m. on the POM webcam. That's less than a half hour away...Wonder if she will leave on time?

Is this long customs clearance time mostly for TAs....? We will sail on her next Saturday and hope to board nice and early...

More critical is that when we return the following Saturday we have a flight at 12:15 p.m. out of FLL....which the cruise line said was doable

guess if there's a long delay next Sat we may have to try switching our flight while on board!,,

EEK!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote

Hope you had a nice cruise...

What time did you disembark? Do you know when the first group was able to walk off?

We have to be fingerprinted and have our Iris print taken every time we enter the USA, even though we have the new chip passports, which have all our details embedded.

Aren't records kept on computers in the USA; so much time and money could be saved.

I think each country has their policies. When I flew home from Vancouver, I couldn't understand why I had to show or scan my passport five different times, didn't they read it the first couple of times...so I understand your frustration.

It is being understaffed for the job that has to be performed.

We just returned from a trip traveling thru Canada. We crossed into Canada thru Detroit. Many times trucks are lined up 5 to 6 miles from both the north and south bound entrances to get across.

We returned thru 1000 Islands in NY and the trucks were backed up there also. The customs agent told us that a 4 to 6 hour wait is normal. He said it is like that at all of the border crossings due to being understaffed and that is because of politics not providing the proper funds.

Where does that money come from? Our pockets.

Who really cares about it? Only those that travel out of the US.

Who wants to pay for it? That is the million dollar question. It is like anything else where people who feel that they don't need or use it feel no need to pay for it or those that do want everyone else to contribute.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Part of the reason is due to the "sequestration" that took place a few years ago. The government hasnt allocated the proper funding that customs has been asking for. My friend who works for US Customs in DC told me this; he said they just dont have the manpower to authorize more hiring, and they can't be granted overtime anymore. My suggestion, write your congressperson if you want it to change anytime soon.

Right, and we all know your congressperson will just spring into action. Not.

Folks, if you want faster Customs service then be prepared to pay for it somehow. Money doesn't magically grow on trees (as much as our government would like us to believe). I would rather stand in line twice a year for an extra couple of hours than pay one more cent in taxes.

Our worst experiences have been in Fort Lauderdale when crew have had to clear the ship. We've never had an issue at Heathrow - in and out in about 7 minutes.