How does the host select table mates?

AmazedByCruising

Each time (each dinner and a few lunches) we had very pleasant table mates, except for the horrible couple we sat next to that wouldn't talk to us or each other and only for the most basic necessities to the waiter.

So, what's on the screen of the table assigner? "Same language" I know for sure because the assigning person used that as a recommendation (...). Possibly "same deck", "same age", etc.

I'm thinking this could be much more refined because to the computer passengers are an open book. If A went to the beach or stayed on board 5 times and B went to a museum 5 times, those should be valuable clues to the computer.

The computer also knows "Couple A has ordered no alcohol at all since embarkation", "Couple B orders 1 bottle of whine during lunch on average, ordering another 5 glasses", it should have known that maybe these two couples will probably not be very good match. They might be, but there's no need for experiments during a holiday.

Do you mean in open seating, are there criteria for seating people at particular tables? Is an attempt made to put compatible people at the same table?

I expect the only guideline is "Are you willing to share a table?" People are seated at a table until it is filled, and then the next table is started.

Or are you asking about fixed seating?

I was thinking OP meant fixed seating. ...is there a science used?

Fixed seating dining assignments are made before we arrive at the ship. When fixed dining guests receive our ID card at check in, our table number is printed on it.

OP's theory about who went to the beach couldn't apply as the assignment was made before we ever left the dock. :)

Do you mean in open seating, are there criteria for seating people at particular tables? Is an attempt made to put compatible people at the same table?

I expect the only guideline is "Are you willing to share a table?" People are seated at a table until it is filled, and then the next table is started.

Or are you asking about fixed seating?

I think Ruth is right. Mostly I see it as being about the next table they need to fill up.

I do know that your age is on the the little ticket that the podium computer spits out, so they do have that info.

Fixed seating is a "major headache" in the words of our last DRM.

Maybe a 'dart board" ? :D

I think that requests for particular table/seating are honored, as much as possible, by date of booking, Mariner status, ..... Maybe the primary indicator is who booked and made their request the earliest.

My last cruise was a B2B Panama Canal. I traveled with DS,an adult single 40ish male. At our table on the first leg was a British couple with an adult daughter (single, late 20s), and another couple from Britain - 5 of us were close in age, the "kids" were close in "status". I can see the connections: 2 families with adult children who are single, 2 British couples. On the second leg, there were 4 couples, DS & me and 3 married couples, all from the US - connections not so obvious, but probably age since I and the other adults were all in our 50s & 60s.

Ultimate compatibility is unpredictable. The family (couple with adult child) never made it to dinner on time - they didn't seem to "get" that fixed dining meant fixed time as well as fixed table - they were anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes late every night. The rest of us sat around waiting. My irritation showed and the mother told me while we were onshore at one of the ports that I was "overly sensitive" (I kept my mouth shut but thought she could benefit from being a little more sensitive!). For the life of me, and forgive me for this, I could not understand a word the other couple said - they spoke English, but with an accent I couldn't figure out.

The 2nd leg, various couples, all got along well, lots of conversation (in American English :) ). Each twosome also ate at alternate venues (PG & Caneletto) on different nights, so all of us ate together in the MDR only 3 of the 14 nights - gave us a chance to get to know each other in smaller groups as well as the large group.

On other cruises, we have been seated at a table with mostly singles (as DS and I are), and at tables with other couples/groups - I guess we're sometimes in the "couples" category. Often matched by age but sometimes my age, sometimes DS's age.

So I can see some criteria that are used but I believe that there are inevitably some "leftovers" who get placed wherever there's room.

Edited by bcd2010

We always request fixed seating at a table for 8. This is because we have found that this is the largest table where it is convenient to talk across the table as well as with the people seated next to us.

We almost always have had congenial dinner companions. But I rather suspect this is because almost all of the cruisers on HAL make congenial dinner companions. Sure there is the occasional incompatible personality but in general, IMHO, the vast majority of cruisers make interesting dinner companions.

I don’t imagine there is a great deal of science in the selection of tablemates for fixed seating (as has been mentioned previously possibly age and language spoken), and believe there is virtually none for anytime dining.

Scott & Karen

As a solo cruiser who chooses fixed seating, there is usually at least one other solo passenger at the table so that there is an even number and no seat is empty. Other than that, I have found no rhyme or reason for the way my tablemates were chosen. My favourite tables have always been ones that had people from other countries than Canada or the U.S. I especially love sitting with Brits and Aussies who seem to have my type of sense of humour. In 18 years of cruising, I've only had to ask to be moved once because of other diners. Eventually, those two unpleasant people ended up alone as everyone else asked to be moved. For the most part, the company has always been great.

I don't think that any thought goes into it, even language. On an RCL cruise we were seated at a 6-top and the two other couples were from Germany and Austria. One of the ladies was a retired teacher and spoke some English; the others didn't. It worked out exceptionally well, the teacher translated for us and by the end of the cruise the couple from Austria actually invited us to stay with them when we visited Salzburg. If you think about it, we all have something in common if we love to take long cruises and we are all different enough to make for interesting conversation.

A head waiter once told me that table assignment are made at the corporate office. Celebrity has one problem HAL doesn't with different language speakers. We were once the only English speakers at an 8 top. They fixed it quickly.

Speaking only in terms of HAL, the table assignments are all made aboard the ship in the week preceding the upcoming cruise.

The one thing I have noticed is that the others at our 6 top normally are in cabins that are in the same category (plus or minus one) as ours.

Most of the time it works out fine and we have met some wonderful people, but every once in awhile you get a "dud".

DaveOKC

The one thing I have noticed is that the others at our 6 top normally are in cabins that are in the same category (plus or minus one) as ours.

Most of the time it works out fine and we have met some wonderful people, but every once in awhile you get a "dud".

DaveOKC

Now that's interesting. That was not our experience on the Prinsendam when we did a 6 top. What we did find is that our table companions were very well travelled, intellectual - could talk about a number of topics and very interesting. We all clicked immediately :) I felt like we had been 'matched' beautifully somehow.

There was no discussion on cabins until our tablemates in AB category had issues and that is when we found out the different categories we were all in.

Edited by kazu

I'm not sure what combination of information they may use for assignments these days, but in any cruise-line's system, they have your age, past cruise history, cabin category and wether traveling alone, marital status, etc. So likely some combination of these. With today's privacy concerns that is likely it.

I would say that most HAL cruisers (not a knock against other lines at all) are fairly gregarious and well-traveled so they are very likely to be interesting table mates for at least one meal.

On my first cruise on Carnival in the mid-eighties, booking information that I recall giving my travel agent included occupational background and recreational interests/hobbies in addition to the above information - was supposedly used to assist in table assignments. But in those days you got a full listing of the names and home cities of your fellow passengers - more innocent times and only 600+ pax or so in 1984. But I remember table assignments being eerily spot on in terms of matches.

I tend to agree with CaveDiving. I always request table of 8 at late fixed.

Sometimes we've all been solo cruisers, but most times I'm placed with couples. Had to request a move once because I was seated with 3 couples and they were all friends of Bill W. Nothing in common at all. One night all 6 of them didn't show up to I was invited by table next door to join them. Dining Room Manager then moved me to an officer's table for the rest of the cruise.

Do not think that cabin assignment has much to do with table assignments as have been assigned a table for 8 with people in the penthouse, inside cabin way in the prow, veranda and us in an ocean view. We were 1 star to 4 star Mariners but we were all about the same age, all from the US.

We also have been lucky with most table mates but there was the very loudly vocal vegans who alternated the table with her mom and aunt as they wanted 1st seating and there was only room for 2. Have never eaten so much meat as when the vegans were there. Now do not send hate mail as I have no problem with vegans as my best friend is a vegan but have problems with anyone who feels they can shove their beliefs down anyone's throat and just keeps getting louder and louder about it. BTW - the mom and aunt were wonderful people and we loved our alternate nights dinners!