Price reduction after final payment

Well I guess this is another griping session so excuse me.

We've now had this happen 3 times in 46 cruises with Royal after they said they weren't going to do it.

We booked a cruise on the Independence months ago and did receive a price reduction a couple of months ago.

While checking something else on the Royal site - we find that our cabin category had been reduced again by 330 dollars, but our TA called them only to find out that we get no further compensation.

It's just the principal of the whole thing - they were willing to upgrade us to the tune of almost seventeen hundred dollars to move us up to a grand suite.

Of course, this is the price from the current junior suite price, not the price we paid of 3100.00.

Our TA tried to convince them that since we are "Loyal to Royal" that they could do better and they absolutely refused. Oh well, so much for Royal Carribean policies that they keep bragging about.

Just want to inform everyone that it sure doesn't pay to book early - with there so called wow promotions - so beware and keep checking your prices before final payment.

We have a business and if we ran it like Royal does there's we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So hopefully, everyone hasn't had this experience and you know what they say about the 3rd times a charm - well that's it for us for Royal. We have 13 cruises booked in the future,now it's time to re-think what cruise line to go on in the future.

Thanks so much for listening.

We've now had this happen 3 times in 46 cruises with Royal after they said they weren't going to do it.

We booked a cruise on the Independence months ago and did receive a price reduction a couple of months ago.

While checking something else on the Royal site - we find that our cabin category had been reduced again by 330 dollars, but our TA called them only to find out that we get no further compensation.

It's just the principal of the whole thing - they were willing to upgrade us to the tune of almost seventeen hundred dollars to move us up to a grand suite.

Of course, this is the price from the current junior suite price, not the price we paid of 3100.00.

Our TA tried to convince them that since we are "Loyal to Royal" that they could do better and they absolutely refused. Oh well, so much for Royal Carribean policies that they keep bragging about.

Just want to inform everyone that it sure doesn't pay to book early - with there so called wow promotions - so beware and keep checking your prices before final payment.

We have a business and if we ran it like Royal does there's we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So hopefully, everyone hasn't had this experience and you know what they say about the 3rd times a charm - well that's it for us for Royal. We have 13 cruises booked in the future,now it's time to re-think what cruise line to go on in the future.

I don't think they brag about honoring price reductions after final payment........:rolleyes:

I don't expect airlines or most other businesses to reduce prices after I've purchased. Why should cruise lines be any different??:rolleyes:

And yes many times it DOES pay to book early. Every cruise we've ever taken was cheaper with an early booking than it was ever priced later.

Edited by bouhunter

Sorry....I know it sucks to see a price drop after final payment & not be able to take advantage....but every major cruise line has this same policy...so unless you are looking to upgrade the only advice I can give you is don't look at prices after final payment...the policy has been around for several years now..

They are following their policy, one that has been in place for about 4 1/2 years- no price drops after final payment, only upgrades available.

We are just as loyal, and have the same "issue".

But we do it like- get the cabin we are happy with at the rate we are happy with. If the price drops, get the upgrade. Otherwise, don't look at the rate after final payment. Couple of times we've upgraded to a suite or a GS.

I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Not honoring price reductions after final payment has been the policy since May 17, 2010. It's nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty.

The only thing that they will do is upgrade you if a cabin category higher than what you are currently booked in is priced lower than or the same as what you paid.

I feel your pain. We originally booked a D2 cabin and then upgraded to a JS for $1399 a piece using the "W" guarantee price. Now the JS are $1049.00 pp and it is driving me nuts because the two JS that have been there for days are not being sold yet they are keeping the GS and OS price the same.

Did you see that the OS is only $20.00 pp higher than the GS? Wishing they lower the price so we can upgrade. Come on RC.

Edited by Colorado Babe

When you find a cruiseline that will reprice after final payment, you'll let us all know about it, right?

When you find a cruiseline that will reprice after final payment, you'll let us all know about it, right?

Carnival has one with a few restrictions, but its better then nothing!

To the others making excuses, its also RCL policy not to lower prices after the final pmt. date, every year they come out and say 'we're doing away with last minute deals', so they're not following all their policies!:eek:

And yes I know they've always lied out the sides of their mouths trying to get loyal members to buy early, but its sickening for some after getting screwed a few times with lower last minute prices!

Lesson to be learned,,,,,,buy late!:D

I heard from a few people that they do make exceptions - so I called back to my TA and she sent a request to internal affairs with Royal and am awaiting an answer. We know someone who paid the listed price a few days ago and upgraded with the going price, only to find out the next day Royal had dropped the price - she called them back and they made an exception in her case. So it does happen and we are still hoping, but still going on the cruise.

It's the principal of the whole thing - Royal can say what they want - but they do make exceptions and what's good for the goose should be what's good for the gander. So we shall see. In the meantime we wait. Will report in when we hear either way.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I heard from a few people that they do make exceptions - so I called back to my TA and she sent a request to internal affairs with Royal and am awaiting an answer. We know someone who paid the listed price a few days ago and upgraded with the going price, only to find out the next day Royal had dropped the price - she called them back and they made an exception in her case. So it does happen and we are still hoping, but still going on the cruise.

It's the principal of the whole thing - Royal can say what they want - but they do make exceptions and what's good for the goose should be what's good for the gander. So we shall see. In the meantime we wait. Will report in when we hear either way.

Because they called within 24 hrs. Read the guidelines. Royal does not make exceptions.

Yes it is a bummer to see a price reduction as we have in the past. However in our case the airline fares have always risen to offset the savings so in the long run it would always cost us more to wait.

So we have the cabin we want at a price we were happy with at the time.

I do not bother looking after final payment.

RCI didn't make an exception. Your friend was able to take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee Program that is available to anyone in the same situation.

What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

s.gifWhen you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the "Going. Going. Gone Sales Events"; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

Edited by cruisenfever

OP - I thought they take the price you actually paid for the category (your JS) , not the current price (Of a JS) , to calculate the cost to upgrade. We've upgraded a few times and I thought they used the price we originally paid.

You may want to try back and see the price difference to upgrade.

good luck.

M

They are following their policy, one that has been in place for about 4 1/2 years- no price drops after final payment, only upgrades available.

We are just as loyal, and have the same "issue".

But we do it like- get the cabin we are happy with at the rate we are happy with. If the price drops, get the upgrade. Otherwise, don't look at the rate after final payment. Couple of times we've upgraded to a suite or a GS.

I'm sure others will chime in on this.

We paid for our cruise in full months ago. I saw a deal and called today and they refunded us $349. They said they do that up to 75 days before your cruise sails. I would have liked an upgrade though. How could we have gotten that instead?

We paid for our cruise in full months ago. I saw a deal and called today and they refunded us $349. They said they do that up to 75 days before your cruise sails. I would have liked an upgrade though. How could we have gotten that instead?

You could have asked if there were any staterooms available in a higher category whose price also dropped.

You could have asked if there were any staterooms available in a higher category whose price also dropped.

You can still call if you are before final payment and do what Bob says above. Maybe you can get a higher category for less than your $349 refund.

Keep calling back and tell them about all those cruises you got scheduled, most likely your best shot!:)

Good luck, you deserve the lower price as all early loyal purchasers deserve!

Royal isn't obligated to do anything, but would have been nice if they did.

OP has 13 more cruises booked. They can see that. She wants to upgrade and I think she'd pay more, so why not discount it a little and retain a good customer? Knock off $500 and resell her cheaper cabin.

I always read stories about random people getting free upgrades, or low cost upgrades, etc. Here is a situation where it is understandable that OP would get some consideration, but they just say 'no'.

No rhyme or reason.

And I agree with calling back and talking to someone else. The service level you get is completely random depending on who answers the phone.

Edited by marci22

Never fun to see price drop after you can do anything about it, generally final pay already made. Still it is a supply and demand business. Last RCL cruise was Explorer in October. Booked almost a year early Grand Suite. Got price reduction during the year, senior rate I think it was, significant. By time of cruise Jr Suite cat whatever they were calling it, one under Grand with concierge etc was selling for $1500 more than the Grand we were in. Luck of the draw. So no set rule about booking early or late, varies.

Just booked Quantum Dec 20 th Xmas sailing superior ocean view with balcony $3284 total after significant discount of $688 same week following, News Years almost double that price. Supply and demand. Never figured getting reasonable price for Xmas on this new ship early rates much higher. Apparently they still had inventory after final pay. For what ever reason Xmas selling was slower than New Tears eve, same itinerary I am pretty sure it is.

Only happened 3 of 46 you are ahead of the game.

George in NY

Any gambler would say, you beat the house 43 out of 46 times, so be happy. But instead, you are angry. If you feel your odds will be better by cruising on another line, so be it.

We book when we see a cruise we want at a price 'for the cabin we want' that we are willing to pay. Sometimes we have an opportunity for a lower fare and our TA can get it done -- sometimes, not -- yet she gives us some OBC compensation....sometimes she can't do that either.

Over the long haul, when we look back at our cruise history -- it has certainly been a positive in our favor. I can't ask for more than that.

We understand the policy when we book a cruise, just like the OP did.

We waited until very late (2 weeks to sailing) to book our next cruise. Just a short weekender on Majesty. The price was higher than we wanted for the cabin we wanted. We wanted to go anyway, so booked a different category which was in the price range we wanted. Then 9 days before sailing, the cabin category we wanted comes down to the price we wanted. We called the agent we dealt with at Royal (this was the first time we booked direct w/Royal and not with our TA), to see if he could get us the cabin we wanted. Viola, he did.

So in the end we got the cabin we wanted at the price we were willing to pay. The week before this cabin was $280 higher.

Did the Royal agent, look at our cruise history? I hope so. Did he see we have another cruise booked for 2015? I hope so.

Again, the OP wants it always to work out in his favor....life doesn't work out that way.....but in his case on 43 out of 46 cruises it seems as if it did. Great odds to me.