Mattress topper

We're just off the Nov. 8 sailing of the Liberty and we had an egg-crate.:confused: It was on the bed when we got there; we hadn't requested it. Your best bet is to wait until you board your ship and talk to your steward. Shoreside service is often out of touch with what really goes on. Have a good trip!

Edited by ronandannette

On our September cruise in the Vision we had asked for an egg crate from our steward and was told they no longer have them. We did miss it as the bed was terrible. They did put some sort of pad on the bed (more like a blanket) but it didn't help. One more cost cutting measure?:confused:

I had an issue with my bed last week on the Oasis and a trip down to Guest Services meant that my Cabin Steward had to put an egg crate padding on my bed to "fix the lumps"

While it helped, replacing the bed that a couple of whales have been sleeping on for years would be more beneficial!!

Good luck...

The special needs department says RCCL no longer has egg crate mattress toppers, but mattress toppers. For those with back issues does this still help?

It wasn't an egg crate, but we had a nice foam topper on the Liberty. It was the memory foam type and very comfortable.

It wasn't an egg crate, but we had a nice foam topper on the Liberty. It was the memory foam type and very comfortable.

Just off FOS over Halloween and we had the memory foam mattress all ready on our bed, which made it very comfy!!;) Will always ask for one now!:cool:

When we were on Liberty for the T/A in October, we had a memory foam topper to that was really comfy. The one side was "egg crate" and the other flat. We did notice that the stateroom attendant had turned it egg crate side down so that the smooth side was up.

On the Independence in May I knew just by sitting on the bed on embarkation day that I wouldn't be anywhere near comfortable on such a firm mattress. Asked my stateroom attendant as soon as I met him about an egg crate and he said he would check and see if he could procure one.

Coming back to turn in late that evening, I could see that there was no egg crate and was a little disappointed, but as soon as I got into bed realized that there was definitely something added, which turned out to be what the others are commenting about being a memory foam topper. I probably could have used two of them, but just the one made all of the difference in the world.:)

Oasis had put 'egg crate' mattresses directly on beds following refit in Rotterdam without request. I did not have mine removed, but know some others did.

Quantum had 2 mattress pads (standard bed top mattresses in Scandinavia) on my RCI branded mattress and bedding set.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

They are phasing out the eggcrate toppers, so ask for an extra mattress pad/topper FOLDED IN HALF for each person. This way it's like getting 2 extra toppers under you. This is very comfortable. We have our bed adjustments down to a standard checklist:

- 3 extra pillows: 1 under each of hubby's arms, 1 under his legs at the knee

- inflatable Matress Genie under hubby's side of the bed at the top; a life jacket under mine at the top (we need slightly different elevations).

- mattress topper folded over under my side

Edited by pcur

Just off the vision and our bed was horrible the first night. We asked for a pad and the room attendant said they did not have any, but he would try to add something to make it better. The second night, my husband slept on that side and couldn't sleep at all and ended up with a back ache. We called the deck captain the next day and within 10 minutes he was at our door and had the mattress changed out. We slept really well after that. Kudos to RCCL for the quick work. Don't be afraid to ask!

Just off Liberty - mattresses were BAD! Yes there is a mattress "pad" that is actually part of the mattress, but the bed was hard as a rock and NOT at all comfortable. We asked for egg crates and got them. I think the cabin attendants are fighting over them.....we slipped ours some extra $ and we got what we wanted.

I haven't had an issue with hard mattresses but my last two cruises

the mattress seemed to slant to the side. Of course this was only on

my side and my husband wasn't willing to switch sides with me. I

addressed it with the room steward and he did something to it that

made it somewhat better but I ended up using extra pillows to lay

along my side so I wouldn't roll of the bed.

Anybody else experience this or am I crazy?

- 3 extra pillows: 1 under each of hubby's arms, 1 under his legs at the knee

- inflatable Matress Genie under hubby's side of the bed at the top; a life jacket under mine at the top (we need slightly different elevations).

- mattress topper folded over under my side

when you stay in a hotel, do you bring your own lifejacket? :)

Cat girl, that is what our mattress was doing, slanting to one side, almost at a 45 degree angle, it was horrible. Plus, it was hard and lumpy. You are not crazy at all, it literally felt like I was sliding off the bed all night between the rocks, haha

Anyone know how Jewel of the Seas is? I see it hasn't been dry docked yet and for a while so kind of wondering.

Is the egg crate a request we should send to special requests email? My wife is just fine, but due to my full time job I have HORRIBLE back issues. I usually end up sleeping on a heating pad at night, and I know I can't bring that, so anything helps.

Anyone know how Jewel of the Seas is? I see it hasn't been dry docked yet and for a while so kind of wondering.

Is the egg crate a request we should send to special requests email? My wife is just fine, but due to my full time job I have HORRIBLE back issues. I usually end up sleeping on a heating pad at night, and I know I can't bring that, so anything helps.

I asked for an egg crate on our 11/1 sailing, the room steward put something on the bed (it was not an egg crate!), but it did not really make much of a difference. The mattress is not very comfortable - that just made it easier to get out of bed in the morning!!

DW and I are fresh off Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore. The mattresses are the worst. Prison/county lockup quality and the bed springs squeak like a bad night scene in a 'R' rated movie. If you have back issues or are not moderately in shape your back will be aching in the AM.

Just another sign of corners cut.

JKrise

Edited by JKrise