Policy on E-cigs

pirate52

Does anybody know the Royal Caribbean policy on E-Cigs? Since there is no smell I would assume that you were at least allowed to use them in your room and balcony. I am betting the policy for the rest of the ship is the same as cigarettes since they look like smoke and it might give the wrong impression.

I am cruising on Brilliance in January and the E-cigs keep me from smoking regular cigarettes...which is a good thing.

Does anybody know the Royal Caribbean policy on E-Cigs? Since there is no smell I would assume that you were at least allowed to use them in your room and balcony. I am betting the policy for the rest of the ship is the same as cigarettes since they look like smoke and it might give the wrong impression.

I am cruising on Brilliance in January and the E-cigs keep me from smoking regular cigarettes...which is a good thing.

E-cigs are treated the same as cigarettes:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3101&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

At least with an e-cig you're more likely to die a natural death;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Until they *possibly* have findings similar to tobacco cigarettes years after the public was told they were totally safe.

Darn.. I really am trying to stop myself from doing off topic replies, but I can't help myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if things have changed in the past 8 months, but on our March 2014 cruise, there were several people puffing away on their vapor sticks - in line - indoors. Royal staff walking by - nothing was said. I wasn't sure what the ruling was - so I didn't say anything.

TORONTO – Ontario moved Monday to regulate the sale of electronic cigarettes, ban all flavoured tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes.

The omnibus bill would treat e-cigarettes just like tobacco cigarettes, with a total ban on sales to youth and on using them in restaurants and public buildings.

Yes, tobacco rules does apply for E-cigs which to us shows a bit of ignorance on the part of RCCL. Understanding what you see is water vapor that has no carbon monoxide or dioxide... Depending on where you are nobody really says much... But, about attacked by a RCCL staff member when she took a quick puff off hers. All she needed to so is say, hey and that would be enough. Oddly enough quite a bit of the crew were happy to see she was using one and shared thier own use of the product and what juice they used... Your not supposed to use them in your room or balcony but it does not leave a nicotine like cigarettes so nobody really knows. Oddly enough even with smoking no longer allowed on balconies I sure did smell a lot of cigar, cigarette and ganja while sitting on mine!

RCCL should encourage the use of E-cigerettes as a alternative to burning tobacco. It is safer, healthier and more ecofriendly but wait! It might cut into thier profits of tobacco sales! God forbid! :eek:

I vape.

I understand the possible health risks.

I do not think anyone should be exposed to vapor that contains PG/VG/Nicotine/Sweeteners/flavoring as we do not know how these chemicals act when vaporized.

25 years ago I made the poor decision to smoke. I am now down to almost zero nicotine e-cig. Hope to be smoke/vape free in the next few months. In the mean time, people should not be exposed to smoke/vapor because I have made the poor choice in my life.

I beg to differ on the fact that "there is no smell"

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Yes, tobacco rules does apply for E-cigs which to us shows a bit of ignorance on the part of RCCL. :

Actually, RCCL does get it. They realize that it's some of the passengers who are ignorant, and don't/won't know the difference between a regular cigarette and an e-cig.

So, it make sense to include e-cigs in their smoking policy knowing some passengers will not be able to make the distinction. FWIW: If the policy is consistent for anyone who appears to be smoking, they can selectively enforce the rules as they see fit. Similar to their policy regarding chair hogs.:)

a girl at my work got in trouble for using one at her desk. I guess they call it vapeing and vape is the word of the year I hear. Guessing at first you could get away with doing it indoors but not anymore

and no I do not vape

So much mis-infomation. Really, e-cigs are not used everywhere on a ship. since most people who use them understand that it is dangerous, and will be regulated just the same. More communities, are passing laws to include them within their laws concerning other tobacco products.

Those that use them where prohibited are just the same people who would smoke where prohibited. Not everyone will follow the rules, regulations, laws etc.

The rules are clearly stated in your cruise contract. When you receive them, read them, and follow them. Don't be the person that thinks it doesn't apply to them.

I, personally, don't want to be exposed to the water vapors from e-cigs anymore than I want to be exposed to cigarette smoke. It does have a smell, even if you don't smell it. And, it still contains particles thought to be dangerous. Like cigarettes, when you choose to vape in a public area, you eliminate my choice to not breath your vapors. It doesn't dissipate quickly and is carried on the breeze. I have no problem with you choosing to smoke or vape. I just have a problem when I have to breath it in second-hand from you. :)

Yes, tobacco rules does apply for E-cigs which to us shows a bit of ignorance on the part of RCCL. Understanding what you see is water vapor that has no carbon monoxide or dioxide... Depending on where you are nobody really says much... But, about attacked by a RCCL staff member when she took a quick puff off hers. All she needed to so is say, hey and that would be enough. Oddly enough quite a bit of the crew were happy to see she was using one and shared thier own use of the product and what juice they used... Your not supposed to use them in your room or balcony but it does not leave a nicotine like cigarettes so nobody really knows. Oddly enough even with smoking no longer allowed on balconies I sure did smell a lot of cigar, cigarette and ganja while sitting on mine!

RCCL should encourage the use of E-cigerettes as a alternative to burning tobacco. It is safer, healthier and more ecofriendly but wait! It might cut into thier profits of tobacco sales! God forbid! :eek:

Sorry gonna disagree, rather people keep their 'water vapor germs' to themselves!:D

I, personally, don't want to be exposed to the water vapors from e-cigs anymore than I want to be exposed to cigarette smoke. It does have a smell, even if you don't smell it. And, it still contains particles thought to be dangerous. Like cigarettes, when you choose to vape in a public area, you eliminate my choice to not breath your vapors. It doesn't dissipate quickly and is carried on the breeze. I have no problem with you choosing to smoke or vape. I just have a problem when I have to breath it in second-hand from you. :)

Agreed!:D

E-cig vapor is not just "water vapor." It contains many chemicals, including high levels of toxic metals, and we don't yet know the effects of that. I do not wish to be exposed to that, and don't think it should be permitted in public spaces.

Edited by Bridetobe88

they are lumped in with regular cigs and whoever told you they don't have a smell has obviously never seen or used the ones that DO.. in fact some of the odors make me SICKER than a real cig does.

While e-cigs might be better for the user than regular cigarettes, they still emit as much micro particulates in the nano meter size range (PC) as regular cigarettes. These size particulates are linked to a number of health conditions, including cancer, heart disease and stroke. They also cause lung irritation and inflammation and can negatively impact people with impaired lung function.

Also if the liquid contains nicotine, then using one will result in a level of second hand nicotine (inhaled by others in the immediate are of the user), and third hand (surface deposit).

Edited by RDC1

Yes, tobacco rules does apply for E-cigs which to us shows a bit of ignorance on the part of RCCL. Understanding what you see is water vapor that has no carbon monoxide or dioxide...

Real ignorance is the posts that show up in every e-cig thread claiming its nothing but water vapor. Congrats on being the first one to post that falsehood in this thread!:o

Edited by LetsGetWet!