Princess Elite Level - Rules change - Rumor or possible fact???

Harley0711

If you're lucky enough to fast track to Elite by doing short cruises then go for it. However on the other hand I believe the amount you pay should also have some bearing on the status level. Similar to what some airlines are now doing in that the higher the fare you pay the more miles you earn. In my own example I've done 4 Princess cruises and the approximate amount I've paid is $18,500.

Don't think my last 30 Princess cruises have totalled that. Seriously. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cruising it wouldn't be on Princess.

If they do change the rules and make loyalty cross-brand then I hope my 50 plus Princess and Diamond on Cunard are worth something.

However on the other hand I believe the amount you pay should also have some bearing on the status level. Similar to what some airlines are now doing in that the higher the fare you pay the more miles you earn. In my own example I've done 4 Princess cruises and the approximate amount I've paid is $18,500.
I disagree 100% for a couple of reasons. One is that I pay double for cruising single and there's no way I can afford a full suite or even a mini-suite at times; plus, because I use a discount TA, I often pay 10-20% less than someone who books directly. I shouldn't be penalized because I prefer to save money. I'd rather brag about my savings than how much I paid for a cruise. Edited by Pam in CA

If they do change the rules and make loyalty cross-brand then I hope my 50 plus Princess and Diamond on Cunard are worth something.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cross brand loyalty could be accompanied by a change (read reduction) in benefits at every level to accommodate the high number of additional cruisers who would qualify for higher level status on each brand.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cross brand loyalty could be accompanied by a change (read reduction) in benefits at every level to accommodate the high number of additional cruisers who would qualify for higher level status on each brand.

That is exactly why I said I hope they are worth something, they are worth quite a lot currently, I doubt they would be if crossbranding happens.

I disagree 100% for a couple of reasons. One is that I pay double for cruising single and there's no way I can afford a full suite or even a mini-suite at times; plus, because I use a discount TA, I often pay 10-20% less than someone who books directly. I shouldn't be penalized because I prefer to save money. I'd rather brag about my savings than how much I paid for a cruise.

I'm not bragging about how much I have paid for a cruise. I find that inference quite offensive. It's simply a fact of what we pay down here for cruises. Princess is basically the only line that has decent itineraries. If we want them we pay for it. Simple as that. I still believe the more you pay the more recognition you should receive.

We should remember that Australia is not a mature cruise marketplace and spending mucho dinero on a cruise will locally give street cred, much as we gain it from Princess paying us to cruise.

Oh please. Australia is a very mature cruise market. What someone spends on a cruise give nobody any "street cred" so you really don't know what you're talking about there. The reason for that spend on 4 cruises is that 2 were trans Pacifics which are not cheap. Only 1 was in a full suite and one Asia Australia in a mini. That is the price we have to pay for such good itineraries.

The Captains Circle Program is a way of sifting out people to which Princess wishes to give benefits that will help them be loyal to the line, but which they cannot give everyone (part of the cachet is the relative exclusivity, priority in boarding and tenders). None of the benefits is expensive to Princess, the minibar setup, considering the wholesale duty free prices they must pay, probably runs them around $8 or $10, and the others are lost in the cost of doing business (they have to run a laundry for several hundred people anyway).

It is not intended to be fair, or a reward (it is worth zero off the ship). If someone is willing to spend almost half a year of their life on Princess, or embark fifteen times, there is probably a reason why the numbers are set exactly there. The benefits are nice, the perks are lifelong, and the qualifications are (compared to, say, HAL) modest. I'm content with the program and not prepared to up the qualifications for the sake of a less crowded Skywalker's before dinner, because I don't go anyway.

Ensenada is hit or miss. It is certainly not an exciting city, but I find the street leading to the blowhole interesting (although I do not buy the souvenirs, I love the churros) Watch security on the way out, they gave me a hard time over a bottle of Advil, I think they thought it was valium in disguise.

Edited by Wehwalt

We should remember that Australia is not a mature cruise marketplace and spending mucho dinero on a cruise will locally give street cred, much as we gain it from Princess paying us to cruise.

I'm not even sure what that means. :confused: However, I do agree that basing loyalty on money spent is a bad idea. If someone thinks he is never going to reach the desired status because he can't spend enough, he has no incentive to cruise any particular line. That isn't loyalty (which is the whole point.)

If you're lucky enough to fast track to Elite by doing short cruises then go for it. However on the other hand I believe the amount you pay should also have some bearing on the status level. Similar to what some airlines are now doing in that the higher the fare you pay the more miles you earn. In my own example I've done 4 Princess cruises and the approximate amount I've paid is $18,500.

I agree with you too.....hotels and airlines have figured out that loyalty is no longer based on what you did for me yesterday but what are you going to do for me today and in the future and have gone to a system based on what clients spend to determine status.

Starting in 2015 Elite levels are going to be very difficult for many passengers to reach on airlines based on the new spend requirements and the new ways that mileage will be rewarded. Elite status on airlines will truly become Elite again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see cruise companies sale status in the future of Elite perks or attach them to a specific credit card like hotels and airlines have done.

Also, any company can change it's reward programs and Lifetime rewards at will and the courts have upheld their rights. I know some people say, "Princess passengers would never stand for that" but as airlines and hotels have found out that it does not really matter if they change past guaranteed benefits and they do not really care or lose business.

I cannot believe how much people spend on cruises and get these perks that do not come even close to the worth of hotel and airline rewards. I would rather the cruise lines give free guaranteed cabin upgrades and free 3, 5, 7 or 10 day cruises after having sailed 5, 10, 15, or 20 times instead of free laundry. Princess has them hooked and must be laughing all the way to the bank giving so little to get so much. :cool:

Hi Harley,

We loved, loved, loved our Auckland to Sydney cruise on the Diamond. There are so many good things about it that I wouldn't know where to start, but would be happy to answer specific questions. One thing that was a highlight for all the women in our party (the guys declined) was climbing the Harbour Bridge in Sydney. Our trip was before the Diamond was refitted for the Asian market, so no fancy toilets :)

I have had port calls in Ensenada twice. Although not the most amazing place, we have always found fun things to do. My dd and I took the winery tour this past April,and had a good time. LA Cetto winery makes some good wines, plus they give you a free bottle. My philosophy is that any travel destination is what you make of it.

I respectfully disagree as the program is designed to build loyalty and repeat business. Am I less loyal than you because I can only afford to sail in an ocean view stateroom and don't have as much disposable income to spend in the shops on board? They have more interior,ocean view, and balcony staterooms to fill than suites.

Edited by Iamcruzin

... It would be nice to get that little black card and the Elite status but it will happen when it happens. The status thing isn't why we cruise. We like to meet great people, have a good time and see some great places. The nice thing about cruising is you can cross off some bucket list items. For us that will be January 2016.Marty

...Starting in 2015 Elite levels are going to be very difficult for many passengers to reach on airlines based on the new spend requirements and the new ways that mileage will be rewarded. Elite status on airlines will truly become Elite again.

Okay, to PrincessLuver...Not sure why you are talking about flight statuses. It's a thorn in my side, because I can't use any of my frequent flyer mile for anything, because I'm not part of a company who flies me all over the world. The airlines have, long ago, hooked their wagons to the business traveler.

Nasa1974, I'm with you. I look forward to obtaining elite status. But I enjoy my Princess cruises. When I get there I get there.

To the OP as you've already seen, don't worry about the haters. Princess changed the way the calculated the different levels several years ago. They moved to a combination of sea days and sailings. Mostly to offset the people who were taking many short 3-4 day cruises.

Enjoy your sailings (as you are already doing) and you seem to be a person I would love to sail with. Maybe someday we'll have that chance.

Counting down the days!

Hi Harley,

We loved, loved, loved our Auckland to Sydney cruise on the Diamond. There are so many good things about it that I wouldn't know where to start, but would be happy to answer specific questions. One thing that was a highlight for all the women in our party (the guys declined) was climbing the Harbour Bridge in Sydney. Our trip was before the Diamond was refitted for the Asian market, so no fancy toilets :)

I have had port calls in Ensenada twice. Although not the most amazing place, we have always found fun things to do. My dd and I took the winery tour this past April,and had a good time. LA Cetto winery makes some good wines, plus they give you a free bottle. My philosophy is that any travel destination is what you make of it.

I see you live in CA... If you have time,, use my email below and I would love to talk to you about Auckland to Sydney -

Fuzzyape - would love to sail and BS with you, love meeting new people - we always do a 'share table' at anytime dining - meet great people that way,,,

Edited by Harley0711

Didn't you get double points by purchasing a suite? I would say double points did have an affect on status level....X2.

BILL

Didn't you get double points by purchasing a suite? I would say double points did have an affect on status level....X2.

BILL

Passengers in a suite get two cruise credits. Those are the things that most people on this thread want to get rid of. Suite passengers get the same number of nights as everyone else on the cruise.

When we made elite, we had 95 days with 8 cruises. We tried a suite our second cruise and never went back. I don't feel bad about making it in fewer days than most because we have spend a lot of money. We fell in love with the grand suite and book one whenever it is available. We really get the same perks as elite so the elite status doesn't mean much to us. Everyone says the laundry is the best perk especially on a long cruises. How long does it take to do a load or two of laundry??? My wife never sends her things down and just a few of mine. We take nice clothes and don't want them ruined by the hot water temps and very hot dryers.

We like wine so we never drink all the bottles in the bar set up and like someone said, their value isn't that much. We usually leave that stuff for the steward.

We usually wait until afternoon to board so the priority boarding is no big deal. Getting on board early just to eat lunch is not important either.

So if there is a new system and it knocks us out of elite - no big deal.

Passengers in a suite get two cruise credits. Those are the things that most people on this thread want to get rid of. Suite passengers get the same number of nights as everyone else on the cruise.

Not me when I am paying 3 times the price of a mini-suite and Princess took away the free internet.;)

Mike:)

When we made elite, we had 95 days with 8 cruises. We tried a suite our second cruise and never went back. I don't feel bad about making it in fewer days than most because we have spend a lot of money. We fell in love with the grand suite and book one whenever it is available. We really get the same perks as elite so the elite status doesn't mean much to us. Everyone says the laundry is the best perk especially on a long cruises. How long does it take to do a load or two of laundry??? My wife never sends her things down and just a few of mine. We take nice clothes and don't want them ruined by the hot water temps and very hot dryers.

We like wine so we never drink all the bottles in the bar set up and like someone said, their value isn't that much. We usually leave that stuff for the steward.

We usually wait until afternoon to board so the priority boarding is no big deal. Getting on board early just to eat lunch is not important either.

So if there is a new system and it knocks us out of elite - no big deal.

Completely off topic but go read and understand your benefits. You can trade the mini bar for wine, coffee cards, etc. instead of just throwing it away to the steward. The other thing most don't understand is if you book a suite + you are elite you can get two bar setups and not one.

Completely off topic but go read and understand your benefits. You can trade the mini bar for wine, coffee cards, etc. instead of just throwing it away to the steward. The other thing most don't understand is if you book a suite + you are elite you can get two bar setups and not one.

Good idea to trade. They gave us all this-for a 3 day cruise! I don't know how anyone could drink so much liquid in 3 days!8951370ed1f4543eb055070693a45198.jpgdb6a61080448bd9460bdaf715536615e.jpg

Don't think my last 30 Princess cruises have totalled that. Seriously. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cruising it wouldn't be on Princess.

Same here. If it were based on money spent and we lost out benefits we just might as well sail on any cruise line and not exclusively Princess.

Same here. If it were based on money spent and we lost out benefits we just might as well sail on any cruise line and not exclusively Princess.

You said it. The loyalty benefits and the additional obc you can get with Princess is always a factor when we compare similar itineraries and price. We generally choose the more economical cabins and often take advantage of those last minute bargains so if they start using amounts spent, we'll be looking a lot closer at other cruise lines. We know they love us "last minute" folks because we are constantly bombarded with tempting offers year round. Maybe they really do like us. :)