Royal Caribbean EXTREME Prices

Hello, can somebody please explain to me why I should pay $2000.00 USD per person to sail on the Oasis/Allure of the seas over summer. When I could pay around $500.00 to sail on a newer Carnival, or Norwegian shipon the same date to go to the same port. Also in a NICER room. $2000.00 USD for an Interior room on Oasis class vs. around $500.00 USD on Norwegian Getaway or Carnival Glory to sail to the same ports in a balcony room or a mini suite.

I just want to know what makes it so expensive just to sail on "The Biggest Ship in the World". And I dont want to hear an answer like "It costs more to operate the ship because it's bigger". I've been on my share of cruises and know you can still have a good time on a smaller ship.

Thanks again!

Not to be rude but I didn't ask you how much you payed to sail on Oasis class. I asked why it's so expensive to sail her over the summer in an interior room.

The price is set to a level that Royal thinks people will pay. Supply and demand determine the price.

Edited by clarea

Judging by what I saw in a quick scan at Royal Caribbean's web site, the pricing you're seeing seems to be for Mediterranean cruises. Caribbean cruises are usually much, much cheaper for the same time period.

Mediterranean cruises on Allure of the Seas are priced high because there is a lot of demand for them because they're new. I haven't sailed a Mediterranean cruise to know how much they're worth, but a ship like Allure of the Seas over there is rather rare and does command a higher price.

Edited to add... Well, I see that I'm mistaken. Oasis of the Seas on July 11, 2015, is starting at $1,671.50/person (averaging the BOGOHO pricing). Wow, I've not seen her that expensive. I wonder whether Oasis is charging more because Allure won't be in the Caribbean during that season.

Edited by Daghis

Prices are based on supply and demand. The Allure is moving to Europe for the summer thus driving up demand for the Oasis which is going to drive up prices. As to if the Oasis is worth the extra price that's up to each individual. For me personally I have never found a ship that comes close to the entertainment offered on the Oasis and Allure.

Can somebody please tell me whats so great about Allure/Oasis?

Good question.

For us it is not that it is great it is that we can only get away for one week a year due to our work and DD school commitments.

We love to cruise.

This upcoming summer will be our 7th. as a family (Yes our 20y/o still enjoys vacationing with the parental units).

We started Disney Magic, moved up to RCI Mariner, then Freedom x 2 then Allure x 2. And each vacation has been so much fun and relaxation we cannot wait till we sail again.

The vastness of the Oasis class, just amazes us.

We are never bored.

It takes our minds away from our daily routine.

We do not get Internet minutes and the cell phones are charged then locked away in the safe. DD uses an old Iphone to take pictures.

Sure we would love to try other ships, but, right now we are happy with the product and also we are moving up the loyalty ladder (Not much offered at our level, but, someday).

When we get bored, we will move on.

We did that House of Mouse thingie for many years got bored and moved on .

Right now we are in the planning stage of a 25th wedding anniversary to be celebrated in 2016.

Throwing around some ideas:

Safari

Europe

Alaska

Who knows we have time to plan.

But for the moment we will be more than happy on the Oasis.

I guess it is what you want out of a vacation.

Sea Ya

Not to be rude but I didn't ask you how much you payed to sail on Oasis class. I asked why it's so expensive to sail her over the summer in an interior room.

Wow. There is not any explanation we could give you that would cause you to understand or agree. I love Oasis but agree that you should not get on that ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can somebody please tell me whats so great about Allure/Oasis?

"Great" is relative. I sailed Oasis in 2012, and it was an interesting experience from the perspective that it almost reminded me of an amusement park/shopping mall/theatre district. If one likes that sort of thing, then for them it's great. For me, I prefer the smaller ships that give you the feel of being on a CRUISE. Having said that, I probably won't sail a mega-ship again. You may feel differently...

But he-- if I would EVER pay 2,000 for anybody's inside cabin, RC's or any other cruise line. Sounds as though you've already got the answer; go with what makes the best sense for your dollar.

Hello, can somebody please explain to me why I should pay $2000.00 USD per person to sail on the Oasis/Allure of the seas over summer. When I could pay around $500.00 to sail on a newer Carnival, or Norwegian shipon the same date to go to the same port. Also in a NICER room. $2000.00 USD for an Interior room on Oasis class vs. around $500.00 USD on Norwegian Getaway or Carnival Glory to sail to the same ports in a balcony room or a mini suite.

I just want to know what makes it so expensive just to sail on "The Biggest Ship in the World". And I dont want to hear an answer like "It costs more to operate the ship because it's bigger". I've been on my share of cruises and know you can still have a good time on a smaller ship.

Thanks again!

I always wonder why they raise the rates so high on some of these cruises. It's so frustrating when you're trying to plan and there's really no good reason for it besides "supply and demand". I hate hearing that excuse! I sailed on the Allure 2 years ago and had a fantastic time but it wasn't that much better to pay such a premium price they are currently offering. No way.

I'd pick another ship if you are set on going during that exact time frame or try and choose another time to go. If you're like me, changing the time isn't really an option. We always cruise during spring break when it's also high but I have no choice since I have school aged kids and I don't want to pull them from school for a week.

I was going through the same thing as you when planning an Alaskan cruise. I was getting so annoyed looking out expensive it was but again it was that stupid supply and demand thing. After doing an Alaskan cruise, I prefer the Caribbean cruises and not paying that premium for Alaska.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

I always wonder why they raise the rates so high on some of these cruises. It's so frustrating when you're trying to plan and there's really no good reason for it besides "supply and demand". I hate hearing that excuse!

What would you rather hear?

Do you want someone to make up reasons why it's more expensive?

It's not operating costs- the amount of fuel the pair use is almost the same as the Freedom or Indy when they do the same itinerary (Captain Zini mentioned that to us). It's not per-person cost- food is the same, room is the same, etc.

Could be more features available.

But it makes much more sense that the popularity of the ship is the reason it costs so much- people are willing to pay it.

So it's less an excuse and more a reason.

Edited by alfaeric

I always wonder why they raise the rates so high on some of these cruises. It's so frustrating when you're trying to plan and there's really no good reason for it besides "supply and demand". I hate hearing that excuse!

. . .

I was going through the same thing as you when planning an Alaskan cruise. I was getting so annoyed looking out expensive it was but again it was that stupid supply and demand thing.

Supply and demand "excuse?" "Stupid"?

It's called the real world of business. There are only so many cabins on these ships. If people find these ships very desirable (and apparently many do), then Royal can charge what the market will bear. If the prices turn out to be too high and too many cabins are unsold, prices will eventually come down.

I'm not sure what explanation you are expecting to hear.

Supply and demand "excuse?" "Stupid"?

It's called the real world of business. There are only so many cabins on these ships. If people find these ships very desirable (and apparently many do), then Royal can charge what the market will bear. If the prices turn out to be too high and too many cabins are unsold, prices will eventually come down.

I'm not sure what explanation you are expecting to hear.

I'd rather hear what some of the people so kindly did respond with. Someone responded that the Allure is doing the European route and that left just the Oasis here during the summer. That was a great response because I also was not aware of that and it would affect pricing.

The general snotty response that it's supply and demand and just deal with it is not helpful nor friendly. If you truly don't know besides, "it is what it is" then don't respond. It's not the response the OP is looking for. Not all of us live and breathe on Cruise Critic and know the routes of every Royal Caribbean ship. Have a little respect for those posing the question or choose to not respond at all.

The prices are set at what the passengers will pay. The Freedom NYE is very high this year. It is a W Caribbean cruise.

$1,300 PER PERSON for an INSIDE cabin,

$1,600 PER PERSON for an OV,

$2,700 PER PERSON for a BALCONY,

Theses prices are cruise/taxes/fees only and do not include any gratuity or insurance. Can't give you a suite example as they are SOLD OUT for months. In fact there is only one balcony cabin showing as available.

These prices have been this high for the past 6 months. I've watched them every day to try to get a break (when it was before final payment ) or get a "better" cabin if the prices fell. No such luck. I paid a bit less than the current rate - but not much.

m