Royal Caribbean EXTREME Prices

Prices are based on supply and demand. The Allure is moving to Europe for the summer thus driving up demand for the Oasis which is going to drive up prices. As to if the Oasis is worth the extra price that's up to each individual. For me personally I have never found a ship that comes close to the entertainment offered on the Oasis and Allure.

I think cruisingator2 hit the nail on the head. In addition, demand is already high in the summer for Caribbean cruises in general because those are the peak vacation times.

I've been following prices for two years now because we have kids in school and can only go certain times of the year. Prices tend to be higher for Christmas/New Years, Spring Break and Summer Vacation time periods. It's crazy how much the prices plummet going from August to September. I wish I could take advantage of those much lower September prices.

I'm in the UK and booked Allure last week for this September for 1 week from Barcelona.I booked through a travel agent.They first phoned Royal for a price for 3 of us in a junior suite on deck 8 midship.They quoted us 7 grand.They couldn't tell us if flights were direct or in direct so we said no thankyou.My agent phoned someone else and told them what we wanted and the came back with a price of just over 4 grand for 3 in a junior suite midship deck 8.This included direct flights all private transfers and a pre nights stay in a 4* hotel plus a pre nights stay in the same hotel.I couldn't believe how much Royal was charging their price didn't even include the hotel.Well chuffed with the price we paid for Allure.

Just my 2 cents. You've got to book at least a year in advance to get a decent pricing and specific cabin location. I booked Oasis for Feb. '16 when the initial BOGOHO in May, and with the D balcony discount (Central Park balcony) at less than $800 per. On the most recent sale, I booked a similar cabin for the week of Easter, '16 for a bit more of approximately $1,000 per. Timing of both lag time and season is important. The March '16 probably will be our last Oasis cruise as she going to China in mid-'16.

Hello, can somebody please explain to me why I should pay $2000.00 USD per person to sail on the Oasis/Allure of the seas over summer. When I could pay around $500.00 to sail on a newer Carnival, or Norwegian shipon the same date to go to the same port. Also in a NICER room. $2000.00 USD for an Interior room on Oasis class vs. around $500.00 USD on Norwegian Getaway or Carnival Glory to sail to the same ports in a balcony room or a mini suite.

I just want to know what makes it so expensive just to sail on "The Biggest Ship in the World". And I dont want to hear an answer like "It costs more to operate the ship because it's bigger". I've been on my share of cruises and know you can still have a good time on a smaller ship.

Thanks again!

Why would you pick the most expensive date of the summer, then ask why it's the price for the entire summer. It's not. It's several hundred dollars more per person compared to the other summer sailings, so your premise is flawed from the beginning.

Others have already answered your question in a general sense of how pricing works. Whatever the cruise line can get. Whatever Carnival or NCL is charging for a particular cruise is the MOST they believe they can get for that sailing.

Maybe you should be asking what is wrong with those ships or cruiselines, that they can only charge a fraction of what RCCL charges; otherwise, they can't fill their ships?

Maybe compare the ships to see what the difference are. For example, you can read all out the Oasis of the Seas at: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=OA&shipCode=OA&br=R

That's exactly the title I was going to post :D

I thought I'll take advantage of Allure/Oasis being in the "neighbourhood" since I've been curious about those ships and saw a very high level of satisfaction in CC.

Also they have a "deal" going on with OBC and 50% second person. For a one week sailing on June 4th out of Rome, a D7 balcony is ~3700$, not including grats, with 200$ OBC from Royal and another 50$ from the TA (group booking).

I was also wondering why a Med cruise is so much more expensive than an Alaskan one ?? It's the first time I'm thinking booking for the "ship" and not for the itinerary :D

Inventory low or demand high equals price is high. Wait and it may drop. The first week of August in 2012 is was 649pp if you booked that summer (insides).

Think that is bad? Check prices on any Disney 7 day, nearly any time of year! Ouch!

Oasis can command that from time to time because it is unmatched as a destination cruise ship. The ship is the primary attraction, not those islands which half of the boat has probably seen at least 10 times.

That being said, with a little flexibility you can sail Oasis for pretty cheap prices, relatively speaking.

Edited by JasonV1

I can't comment about OPs situation, other than to say he should absolutely sail a cheaper choice. I will say that if Royal doesn't adjust their prices significantly downward, they've lost me as a customer. I always sail with them in early April and prices are currently more than double what I'm used to paying. I simply won't pay a 150% increase, I'll cruise elsewhere or not at all.

I'd rather hear what some of the people so kindly did respond with. Someone responded that the Allure is doing the European route and that left just the Oasis here during the summer. That was a great response because I also was not aware of that and it would affect pricing.

The general snotty response that it's supply and demand and just deal with it is not helpful nor friendly. If you truly don't know besides, "it is what it is" then don't respond. It's not the response the OP is looking for. Not all of us live and breathe on Cruise Critic and know the routes of every Royal Caribbean ship. Have a little respect for those posing the question or choose to not respond at all.

But that reason IS supply and demand. Supply gets cut in half and demand is still high in the US. And in Europe, demand has always been high, but no supply until now.

So you post the reason is supply and demand, and get upset that people are telling you the actual reason is supply and demand.

Ok. I guess it is what it is... :D

Edited by alfaeric

But that reason IS supply and demand. Supply gets cut in half and demand is still high in the US. And in Europe, demand has always been high, but no supply until now.

So you post the reason is supply and demand, and get upset that people are telling you the actual reason is supply and demand.

Ok. I guess it is what it is... :D

Well said. And it isn't "snotty":D

i agree Ive always booked my yearly cruise a full year in advance. Ive watched all my cruises go up and even go down for a short little while. But 90% of the time the Oasis/Allure the prices have gone up by the end date.

I love Oasis class I would never pay that amount. But there is some people out there that will pay that.

I'd rather hear what some of the people so kindly did respond with. Someone responded that the Allure is doing the European route and that left just the Oasis here during the summer. That was a great response because I also was not aware of that and it would affect pricing.

The general snotty response that it's supply and demand and just deal with it is not helpful nor friendly. If you truly don't know besides, "it is what it is" then don't respond. It's not the response the OP is looking for. Not all of us live and breathe on Cruise Critic and know the routes of every Royal Caribbean ship. Have a little respect for those posing the question or choose to not respond at all.

I agree with others. "Supply and Demand" IS the reason. Maybe (less "snotty?") is simply they charge what the "market will bear." If they can fill the ship at $2000 per person for an inside cabin, why would they choose to charge $1000 per person? RCCL is in business to make a profit. So, like all other "for profit" businesses, they price their product as high as possible to maximize profits.

"Is it worth it" is subjective. Obviously it is to many people or they wouldn't pay it. I don't. I cruise at a lower cost time of year. I've been on Oasis for $1650 per person for a Crown Loft! I would never pay $2000 for an inside cabin. That is exactly why I don't cruise in the summer.

But I know that for many, summer is the only time they have vacation. RCCL knows that too. So, they price it higher.

Not a "snotty" comment, but it is the ONLY reason it's priced so high. If it doesn't sell at $2000 you'll see $1750, then $1500, then lower until the cabins sell. Happens all the time.

Hello, can somebody please explain to me why I should pay $2000.00 USD per person to sail on the Oasis/Allure of the seas over summer. When I could pay around $500.00 to sail on a newer Carnival, or Norwegian shipon the same date to go to the same port. Also in a NICER room. $2000.00 USD for an Interior room on Oasis class vs. around $500.00 USD on Norwegian Getaway or Carnival Glory to sail to the same ports in a balcony room or a mini suite.

I just want to know what makes it so expensive just to sail on "The Biggest Ship in the World". And I dont want to hear an answer like "It costs more to operate the ship because it's bigger". I've been on my share of cruises and know you can still have a good time on a smaller ship.

Thanks again!

You didn't hear? This is part of their WOW sale. They jack up the prices and then tell you what a great deal you're getting. I know I always say WOW when I look at their prices recently.

All kidding aside, check out prices on the Freedom class ships. Much better.

Oasis and Allure appeal to families most of which are held captive to the school calendar (like us now).

Summer, winter break and spring break are when we travel with the kids.

More people can cruise the price goes up a lot. Less people October, November, February the price goes down.

If they can fill the ship charging 2,000 a person why would they charge less? to be nice? I am sure the summer season helps make the ship profitable and covers some of the nonfull sailing she has.

We love all the shows, activities, neighborhoods the stuff that a mega ship offers to us its worth it.

We're sailing in a prime hump balcony cabin on Celebrity at peak spring break on their newest ship (Reflection) for 1,000/PP. A year later we have an RCCL balcony at spring break for 800/PP. Anyone who would pay 2,000/PP for an inside on any ship would be out of their minds! But I guess there must be people doing that........:rolleyes:

I would keep an eye on prices, I paid 943 pp after taxes fees and prepaid gratuity for a cetral park balcony for my May 2015 honeymoon cruise on Oasis. May just be an odd spike. also keep in mide that alot of prices appear high until you get to checkout and the promotions kick in and drop a few thousand off the total price.

Thanks again!

Sailing on the Oasis is a unique experience in that it has different types of "neighborhoods" no other ship has with Broadway and Cirque de Soleil type of water show, ice show and other venues. There are only 2 of them and one is in now in Europe most of the time so it is supply and demand. Having said that, I will also say that summer months are the most in demand for families so the prices are higher. We will be on the Oasis on Jan 3rd and paid less than $2000 for a balcony cabin for two people. The Breakaway and Getaway have also gotten good reviews so if the price you are being quoted is correct, I would go with one of the other cruise lines.

Thanks again!

Enjoy Carnival...

An answer of "supply and demand" is far from snotty.

But thanks to your post we all now know what IS a snotty post.