Anyone bothering to dress up for Grande?

omarchs

Agreed. We saw people turned away who didn't meet the dress code, although the only real requirement we noticed was jackets for men.

How about teens? Could my DS (14) get away with dress shirt and tie? With pants too of course :D

Is it likely you can go in without a jacket if your wearing formal? After all i would take the jacket off as soon as I sat down and I don't see the point in buying one for the sake of an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it likely you can go in without a jacket if your wearing formal? After all i would take the jacket off as soon as I sat down and I don't see the point in buying one for the sake of an hour

I mean this question in all sincerity -- how is a man "wearing formal" if he does not have a jacket on?

For me I wouldn't eat in a jacket regardless. Especially not in the Caribbean it would be over the back of my seat in 30 seconds. I feel limited as on the Oasis I don't really fancy eating in American Icon Grill and Silk every night for 14 nights but I don't feel I should be forced into having to purchase a jacket for something I would take off within 30 seconds of getting in the restaurant.

Interesting question. It seems from the few posts that the answer is no. Jacket is usually required to be considered "formal." Although some said no tie. But it seems as though jacket will be necessary.

In my personal opinion, and not wanting to open any discussion or step on any toes, Grande is an advertised "Formal Only" restaurant. I hope RCCL sticks to their guns and holds to the dress code. It's not like there is a lack of dining on Quantum. Some of us like to dress up. Being surrounded by others equally dressed elevates the experience. So I hope they hold to the dress code. Again, just my own opinion.

A recent cruiser posted a pic of himself dressed in what he said was acceptable in Grande; scroll down on this page for the photo:

http://www.scottsanfilippo.com/2014/12/cruisers-log-royal-caribbeans-quantum-of-the-seas-day-8-november-30-2014/

No suit, just a (light) sport coat and slacks; no tie.

I am not being critical of him or of anyone, but if this is considered "formal" then I truly don't understand the difference between "formal" and "smart casual."

Me and my DH are not a issue him in a suit and me dress done.

But What are kids wearing?

My DD is 13 and wearing a dress is no problem limiting her dresses is the biggest issue. But my 10 YO DS is the issue. Do boys need to wear jackets? He has normally worn dress pants and a dress shirt on formal night but if I need to get him a jacket I need to know.

We are dining there 2 nights on out cruise and I am good with him wearing the same thing twice

How about teens? Could my DS (14) get away with dress shirt and tie? With pants too of course :D

No, from all reports jacket required, which is very little to ask for the ONE formal restaurant on board.

For me I wouldn't eat in a jacket regardless. Especially not in the Caribbean it would be over the back of my seat in 30 seconds. I feel limited as on the Oasis I don't really fancy eating in American Icon Grill and Silk every night for 14 nights but I don't feel I should be forced into having to purchase a jacket for something I would take off within 30 seconds of getting in the restaurant.

And the whining begins! You're NOT wearing formal in any way without a jacket. As other have said, jackets required and (fortunately) RCI DOES appear to be enforcing that! There are a couple dozen other restaurants on board, and there will now be one which requires at least a jacket, although hardly formal.

Me and my DH are not a issue him in a suit and me dress done.

But What are kids wearing?

My DD is 13 and wearing a dress is no problem limiting her dresses is the biggest issue. But my 10 YO DS is the issue. Do boys need to wear jackets? He has normally worn dress pants and a dress shirt on formal night but if I need to get him a jacket I need to know.

We are dining there 2 nights on out cruise and I am good with him wearing the same thing twice

An other option for young boys is a suit vest

Agreed. We saw people turned away who didn't meet the dress code, although the only real requirement we noticed was jackets for men.

Glad to hear that, hope it continues.

Interesting question. It seems from the few posts that the answer is no. Jacket is usually required to be considered "formal." Although some said no tie. But it seems as though jacket will be necessary.

In my personal opinion, and not wanting to open any discussion or step on any toes, Grande is an advertised "Formal Only" restaurant. I hope RCCL sticks to their guns and holds to the dress code. It's not like there is a lack of dining on Quantum. Some of us like to dress up. Being surrounded by others equally dressed elevates the experience. So I hope they hold to the dress code. Again, just my own opinion.

Of course I'm absolutely with you on this. Interesting how ONE of the new restaurants is designated "formal" although requiring only a jacket, not truly formal. The REST of the restaurants are casual every night. Yet, already we're getting the whining from those who want to be allowed into that ONE restaurant dressed casually also. As you say, lets hope RCI continues to stick to their guns and enforces at least the watered down "jacket required."

I am not "whining" but when I pay upwards of £2000 for a cruise I don't expect to be restricted to two restaurants for 2 weeks which have the same menu.

I don't have a problem dressing in formal attire but in the UK formal is not known to wear a "jacket" as so I don't own a "jacket".

I'm not asking and if you could read back on my posts to go in casual I am simply stating my view that there isn't any point at all in me purchasing a jacket as it will sit on the back of my chair for the entire time I dine in the restaurant.

I wouldn't have the problem if royal would leave the dining as it was previously.

No, from all reports jacket required, which is very little to ask for the ONE formal restaurant on board.

And the whining begins! You're NOT wearing formal in any way without a jacket. As other have said, jackets required and (fortunately) RCI DOES appear to be enforcing that! There are a couple dozen other restaurants on board, and there will now be one which requires at least a jacket, although hardly formal.

There are two other restaurants on the Oasis which isnt really ideal if your on for two weeks and would like to vary as I would have been able to had they not changed the dining

Edited by zjc

I am not "whining" but when I pay upwards of £2000 for a cruise I don't expect to be restricted to two restaurants for 2 weeks which have the same menu.

I don't have a problem dressing in formal attire but in the UK formal is not known to wear a "jacket" as so I don't own a "jacket".

I'm not asking and if you could read back on my posts to go in casual I am simply stating my view that there isn't any point at all in me purchasing a jacket as it will sit on the back of my chair for the entire time I dine in the restaurant.

I wouldn't have the problem if royal would leave the dining as it was previously.

Royal defines formal attire for men as including a jacket. That's the rule. I understand that you may not like it, but with all due respect, no one is forcing you to take any particular cruise nor sail with any particular cruise line. If the rules of a particular ship or cruise line don't suit you (no pun intended), you don't need to sail with them.

I don't like the fact that HAL allows people to smoke on their balconies; do I say "if I'm paying upwards of several thousand dollars for a balcony, I don't expect people next door to be smoking and ruin my balcony experience," or do I say -- "I'm going to pick a cruise line whose smoking policies are more in tune with what I'd like my cruising experience to be"?

When I booked my cruise royal was offering traditional dining now they changed and I'm stuck with it.

Personally there should be some options for people who don't want to be subject to the joke that is dynamic dining

You could always just rent a tux - you'd look spiffy, I bet your cabin mate would approve, and you might enjoy the extra attention and admiring glances thrown your way!

KC

You could always just rent a tux - you'd look spiffy, I bet your cabin mate would approve, and you might enjoy the extra attention and admiring glances thrown your way!

KC

Do you know if they offer just a jacket rental?

I'm attaching a copy of the message that displays on the tv the day you have reservations for Grande. I was on the 11/23/14 sailing and men and children were required to wear a jacket. They were loaning jackets out at the restaurant if you didn't have one. There is a closet at the entrance where they are located. I noticed a lot of children (estimating age between 10-16 years old) were receiving them. I was sitting at the Royal table at the entrance so I saw this happening a lot. I wore a suit and tie. If you don't want to wear formal atire, I would choose another restaurant. Or if everyone in your group has formal but one of your children doesn't have a jacket, I would just ask to borrow one at the door. Maybe check ahead of time just to make sure they have one available.

Loved Dynamic Dining. Had no problems and enjoyed the atmosphere and food of each restaurant.

Grande.jpg.8dcf68aaa796ad001619562da5be339a.jpg

Currently on the 12/12 sailing. Jacket required. If you don't have one they'll loan it to you. Every "formal" restaurant in the world requires it, ESPECIALLY in Europe -- so don't understand the angst. Don't like it, don't eat there. You know going in that it's formal and jacket is required. Want more options? Pay the up charge or get a suite for Coastal Kitchen. Still don't like it? Book a different ship. This ship is amazing but clearly isn't for everyone. Get with the program or move on and be happier somewhere else. Life is too short to get your panties in a bunch over a coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a previous poster has mentioned, the Grande will let you have a black jacket for the 30 sec walk from the entrance to your table.:cool:

When I booked my cruise royal was offering traditional dining now they changed and I'm stuck with it.

Personally there should be some options for people who don't want to be subject to the joke that is dynamic dining

I believe there are - at the moment every ship in the entire RCI fleet except Quantum & Oasis, not to mention many other cruise lines.