Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Have a link for that? I keep hearing that here, but haven't seen that from RCI directly.

[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][B]As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic
Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis
Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.
Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean [COLOR=Red]and based on the positive response from our
guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our
Royal Advantage program —[/COLOR] our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our
guests.[/B][/FONT]

[quote name='Debde'][FONT=Arial][B]As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic
Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis
Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.
Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean [COLOR=Red]and based on the positive response from our
guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our
Royal Advantage program —[/COLOR] our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our
guests.[/B][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well so far, I haven't seen such a positive response from their guests...

But I believe that was put out before Quantum was launched, so also before DD was launched, so they may still change their minds based on reviews after guests experience it. Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Now the fashion police who have their noses in everyone elses business will not only be complaining about having to see people who are not dressed up ruining their special evening but they can complain about the food those people are eating too.[/quote]

Hey, you know me-I'm happy in the WJ!!!:D

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']The Oasis dining room has three tiers with a large opening in the center. With DD, each floor is a different restaurant, but the large opening still remains. So everyone on the same floor as you will be in the same restaurant, eating the same food and dressing the same way, but you can still easily see up or down to the other two restaurants.[/quote]

See-this makes more sense. Sorry but the other poster made it sound like the person sitting next to you was in one venue and you in another.

[quote name='Debde']So what you are saying is-all these restaurants are not separated by walls? You can have one table eating one menu and dressing one way and another table right next to you eating from another menu and dressing another??

I just don't comprehend the formal dining venue having non-formal all in the same room. It should have walls, no??? If you can see someone eating a burger while you are dining in a formal setting-then something is really wrong. Sorry-I am trying to grasp what you are saying but I am really confused now.:o I really thought these dining venues were completely separated by walls and not like a huge banquet hall. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I was on The Oasis in November and basically all they did was change the decor and signage. The Main Dinning room has always been 3 levels. Now all of Deck 3 is Called American Icon, Deck 4 is now called The Grande and Deck 5 is Silk. It still looks like any dinning room on any Royal Ship. There is no need to put walls up because each level is its own resturant. Deck 4 The Grande will be formal and the American Icon & Silk will not be.

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']Well so far, I haven't seen such a positive response from their guests...

But I believe that was put out before Quantum was launched, so also before DD was launched, so they may still change their minds based on reviews after guests experience it.[/quote]

Some people have liked it so who knows what data corporate has and is going by.
Yes-it was an older statement but does give insight as to what direction they would like to go in.
I really don't have a dog in this fight but just see it being postponed, that's all.

[quote name='steamboats']

I totally agree on David Kriso´s other two points he made (lacking of choice and poor schedule synchonization).

steamboats[/QUOTE]

Kriso's 2nd point (Lacking of Choices), which you agree with, was also attributed to poor staffing: "The problem lies with the cut back in dining staff. Tables are not readied as fast as they used to in the main dining room. Passengers are left with no choice but to wait in a long line outside."

Kriso's 3rd point (Poor Schedule Synchronization), which you agree with, was also attributed to poor staffing: "Along with the dining debacle, comes the passengers' show reservations. This is where Dynamic Dining makes passengers' evening plans implode. ... Being able to make their reserved show time depends on whether they can get into their restaurant of choice on time." Which goes back to his first point that passengers are forced to wait a long time for their food to be served due to the poor staffing which forces a long line to get into the dining room (2nd point) which blows the synchronization (3rd point).

Actually, there is a serious problem with DD which I don't remember anyone really addressed. Under the classic dining experience about half the passengers are forced (well some actually prefer) to take early or late seating. This regulates the passenger flow into the dining rooms. The problem is, people, given a choice, would prefer to dine between 6:30 PM and 7:30 PM. With DD, no one is forced to choose an earlier time so you have a very large number of people showing up at the same time.

RCI will have to figure out a way to incentivize people to avoid the peak periods. (They could provide more seating but space is premium on cruise lines so that probably is not an option.) I'm thinking that show scheduling might be one way to get people to the dining rooms earlier or later. (Free wine before 6PM or after 8PM could be another.)

Another way would be to enforce the reservations system. Some have reported that one long line forms outside the dining rooms composed of people with and without reservations and that people are seated based upon their place in the queue rather than whether they have reservations or not. Giving priority to those with reservations and insisting on two lines would incentivize people to get reservations which would regulate the traffic flow spreading it out across the full dining period.

[quote name='Debde']

Now-I hate those posters that tell people if you don't like it you can find another cruise line. That being said, if traditional RCCL dining is what you like, does any other cruise line offer this service?? I ask a question and not dismiss you and send you to another line!!;) Sometimes you have to give and take to find the perfect vacation. What means the world to one vacationer, means squat to another. Maybe a better option is out there with traditional dining if that is your be all and end all top of your want list for your vacation.:confused:[/QUOTE]

The only mainstream cruise line that currently does not offer traditional dining is NCL. All the others do.

If they can fix Dynamic Dining I would give it a try. Not as it is now though. I am happy that I won't be a guinea pig for DD in May. I doubt I will make any Royal Caribbean bookings until it is clear what the dining options are going to be and that whatever they offer is getting good reviews. I have plenty of safer choices to book until the dust settles. Celebrity, Holland America and Princess! Edited by Charles4515

[quote name='Debde'][FONT=Arial][B]As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

[quote name='OfTheSeasCruiser']Well so far, I haven't seen such a positive response from their guests...

[COLOR="Red"]But I believe that was put out before Quantum was launched, so also before DD was launched[/COLOR], so they may still change their minds based on reviews after guests experience it.[/QUOTE]

So RCI had a positive response from its guests before even one of them experienced DD? What an interesting way to validate the company's decision.

But I believe that was put out before Quantum was launched, so also before DD was launched, so they may still change their minds based on reviews after guests experience it.[/QUOTE]
Yep, exactly. Since that was before the launch of Quantum & DD and before there could be any response/feedback either positive or negative, it seems quite clear that that statement meant they would see how DD was received by their customers, and IF the response was positive then it would be expanded to as many ships as possible.

So far, I don't think anyone can say there's been an overall positive response from their guests.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']So RCI had a positive response from its guests before even one of them experienced DD? What an interesting way to validate the company's decision.[/quote]

That's what I'm trying to point out!!;) They have already chosen a direction and it is not doing away with it I'm thinking!!

That was in response to someone asking if Freedom was getting DD in its up and coming dry dock. Although the response was no-not at this time, they did seem to be clear that it would in the future as would many more.

[quote name='Debde']That's what I'm trying to point out!!;) They have already chosen a direction and it is not doing away with it I'm thinking!!

That was in response to someone asking if Freedom was getting DD in its up and coming dry dock. Although the response was no-not at this time, they did seem to be clear that it would in the future as would many more.[/QUOTE]
Really not trying to be argumentative, but what seems clear is that they've chosen a [b][u]possible[/u][/b] direction, based on whether or not it is well-received by their guests on the first few ships.

[quote name='killtheump']I was on The Oasis in November and basically all they did was change the decor and signage. The Main Dinning room has always been 3 levels. Now all of Deck 3 is Called American Icon, Deck 4 is now called The Grande and Deck 5 is Silk. It still looks like any dinning room on any Royal Ship. There is no need to put walls up because each level is its own resturant. Deck 4 The Grande will be formal and the American Icon & Silk will not be.[/QUOTE]

But they are all open to each other through the center of the ship. That will impact the unique atmosphere that each one is attempting to create. Diners in both Silk and Grande will view American Icon down on the main floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='RocketMan275']Kriso's 2nd point (Lacking of Choices), which you agree with, was also attributed to poor staffing: "The problem lies with the cut back in dining staff. Tables are not readied as fast as they used to in the main dining room. Passengers are left with no choice but to wait in a long line outside."

Kriso's 3rd point (Poor Schedule Synchronization), which you agree with, was also attributed to poor staffing: "Along with the dining debacle, comes the passengers' show reservations. This is where Dynamic Dining makes passengers' evening plans implode. ... Being able to make their reserved show time depends on whether they can get into their restaurant of choice on time." Which goes back to his first point that passengers are forced to wait a long time for their food to be served due to the poor staffing which forces a long line to get into the dining room (2nd point) which blows the synchronization (3rd point).
[/quote]

I only agree to the points made not the reasons given by Kriso ;)! I´m not sure whether they really cut back with the staff number (regarding waiters and assisstants now called runners). See my point regarding "first night" - with DD you obviously have that "first night" experience every night... I don´t know why they don´t get it. RCI should have experiences in passenger flow in the dining room because of MTD. We don´t know where the problem is exactly located. Might be the poor reservation system (no lines for people with or without reservations) and the handling there (especially the "Royal" IT). Might be problems in the galley. Might be a lack of staff in the dining rooms itself. My point is that Kriso is stating "facts" (1st point) which I don´t understand as those "facts" can´t be correct based on my experiences with RCI. Fact is that DD is way slower than it should be (which results in points 2 and 3). But I still don´t know what the reason is.

steamboats

[quote name='Debde']That's what I'm trying to point out!!;) They have already chosen a direction and it is not doing away with it I'm thinking!!

That was in response to someone asking if Freedom was getting DD in its up and coming dry dock. Although the response was no-not at this time, they did seem to be clear that it would in the future as would many more.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering though if the biggest hint of what may happen in the future occurred when they recently changed to a new CEO? If things were going so well would they have made this move? Is it a way to gracefully back out of what may be a bad direction (at least at this time)?

Personally I would prefer they keep DD to the Quantum class ships and once they get it worked out add it to new builds and keep existing ships the same. If they really want to get away from traditional set dinning than just move to all my time but leave the dining room as they are now alone.

However, since they already retrofitted Oasis they could pilot DD once the issues have been fixed but leave Allure the way she is. That way those who want/like DD can go on an Oasis class ship and those that prefer the way it is now will still have the Allure. If DD improves to the point where more people want it then add it to Allure during her next dry dock in 5 years.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Really not trying to be argumentative, but what seems clear is that they've chosen a [B][U]possible[/U][/B] direction, based on whether or not it is well-received by their guests on the first few ships.[/quote]

Me either;) that's why I said, I'm thinking!!

[quote name='SamFritz']But they are all open to each other through the center of the ship. That will impact the unique atmosphere that each one is attempting to create. Diners in both Silk and Grande will view American Icon down on the main floor.
[/quote]

Since I now get it, I really don't think that would be a bother to too many. Just don't look up or down and just look at who you are dining with!!;)

Seriously-if this concept woks, it is possibly the best solution for your 'bubba's' of the world and the fine diners of the world!!:) I admit, I'm probably bubba to you!!:o At least I will eat my burger with some style and not slam it down though!!!:p

[quote name='brfan'][COLOR="Red"]I'm wondering though if the biggest hint of what may happen in the future occurred when they recently changed to a new CEO? If things were going so well would they have made this move? Is it a way to gracefully back out of what may be a bad direction (at least at this time)?[/COLOR]

Personally I would prefer they keep DD to the Quantum class ships and once they get it worked out add it to new builds and keep existing ships the same. If they really want to get away from traditional set dinning than just move to all my time but leave the dining room as they are now alone.

However, since they already retrofitted Oasis they could pilot DD once the issues have been fixed but leave Allure the way she is. That way those who want/like DD can go on an Oasis class ship and those that prefer the way it is now will still have the Allure. If DD improves to the point where more people want it then add it to Allure during her next dry dock in 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I was also starting to wonder about the changes up in the executive offices. I personally believe that this "postponement" is definitely related to the change.

Well lets just hope that they'll be going in a good direction now. :D

[quote name='brfan']I'm wondering though if the biggest hint of what may happen in the future occurred when they recently changed to a new CEO? If things were going so well would they have made this move? Is it a way to gracefully back out of what may be a bad direction (at least at this time)?

[/quote]

Who knows but am I correct in saying that Mr. Goldstein was promoted in the company and not demoted??? Who knows-yes, time will tell. DD may have its flaws but I don't think the company itself is heading in a bad direction. I think companies have a way of looking into the future and we are in that day and that vacation.

I'm just looking at this as someone who does not have a vested interest in this one way or the other. As long as Royal has a WJ and room service-I'm good to go!!! I am trying to look at all sides and guess where this all is going. I have the day off, it's cold outside so why not get into some friendly banter here!!!;)

[quote name='debde']who knows but am i correct in saying that mr. Goldstein was promoted in the company and not demoted??? Who knows-yes, time will tell. Dd may have its flaws but i don't think the company itself is heading in a bad direction. I think companies have a way of looking into the future and we are in that day and that vacation.

[color="red"]i'm just looking at this as someone who does not have a vested interest in this one way or the other. As long as royal has a wj and room service-i'm good to go!!! I am trying to look at all sides and guess where this all is going. I have the day off, it's cold outside so why not get into some friendly banter here[/color]!!!;)[/quote]

Exactly!:) Edited by Ocean Boy

[quote name='SamFritz']But they are all open to each other through the center of the ship. That will impact the unique atmosphere that each one is attempting to create. Diners in both Silk and Grande will view American Icon down on the main floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Only if your table is by the rail. We ate 7 nights in The Grande away from the rail and could not see the other two levels.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']So RCI had a positive response from its guests before even one of them experienced DD? What an interesting way to validate the company's decision.[/quote]

This comment prompted me to check just when DD was announced for Oasis class..story I found said Sept 3/14 a full two months before Quantum started her journey to Bayonne.

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Yep, exactly. Since that was before the launch of Quantum & DD and before there could be any response/feedback either positive or negative, it seems quite clear that that statement meant they would see how DD was received by their customers, and IF the response was positive then it would be expanded to as many ships as possible.

So far, I don't think anyone can say there's been an overall positive response from their guests.[/QUOTE]

There could be another explanation. When RCI said they had received "positive feedback", that did not necessarily mean they had received that feedback from those who'd actually experienced DD. They could have received "positive feedback" from those who had participated in focus groups or responded to surveys. If that is the case, then the expansion could still be in their plans. Once they get DD fixed of course.

That was in response to someone asking if Freedom was getting DD in its up and coming dry dock. Although the response was no-not at this time, they did seem to be clear that it would in the future as would many more.[/QUOTE]Have been following DD implementation here on Cruise Critic and in other places and your obeservations are based on what RCI communicated before QU debuted with its DD. Now that there are so many problems with DD, satisfaction with QU is at 34% in Cruise Critic reviews, there is negtive media and bookings for QU are down, RCI seems to be reevaluating their strategy. I.E. postponement of DD implementation on OA and AL.

[quote name='RocketMan275']There could be another explanation. When RCI said they had received "positive feedback", that did not necessarily mean they had received that feedback from those who'd actually experienced DD. They could have received "positive feedback" from those who had participated in focus groups or responded to surveys. If that is the case, then the expansion could still be in their plans. Once they get DD fixed of course.[/QUOTE]
So in other words, kind of like when politicians win the polls but lose the actual election? ;)

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Now the fashion police who have their noses in everyone elses business will not only be complaining about having to see people who are not dressed up ruining their special evening but they can complain about the food those people are eating too.[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it. Honestly, seeing someone eat a burger affects someone so much?

#firstworldproblems

I just saw the press release from RCI, the following signs will be posted outside all dining rooms on the Anthem of the Seas:

"It is requested that when dinning in The Grande that you observe our formal dress code, and not eat any entree that the cruise critic mafia deem inappropriate for our formal setting. Examples of inappropriate items include, but are not limited to:

cheeseburgers, bread sticks, steak serve passed medium
chicken without any kind of "reduction" sauce, soda of any kind, desserts without an outline of silverware dusted with cinnamon, wine that can be purchased at Costco or Trader Joes, and/or any entree without kale, chia, pine nuts, flax seed, or organic fair trade conflict free open source coffee.

Under NO circumstances will gluten be consumed without sight of any other diner wearing formal attire. Failure to abide by these policies will result in immediate disembarkation from the ship. Please remember to state your crown and anchor level in each sentence when addressing a cruise critic member.

Please note that any person who has not reached puberty cannot be seated within the gaze of a certified "your business is my business" cruise critic mafia police member.

[quote name='brfan']I'm wondering though if the biggest hint of what may happen in the future occurred when they recently changed to a new CEO? If things were going so well would they have made this move? Is it a way to gracefully back out of what may be a bad direction (at least at this time)?

However, since they already retrofitted Oasis they could pilot DD once the issues have been fixed but leave Allure the way she is. That way those who want/like DD can go on an Oasis class ship and those that prefer the way it is now will still have the Allure. If DD improves to the point where more people want it then add it to Allure during her next dry dock in 5 years.[/QUOTE]Michael Bayley was named RCI;s President and CEO on December 8, 2014. A few weeks later, DD implementation was postponed for OA & AL. especially in view of the problems on QU. I have heard that Mr. Bayley is very customer oriented. Hope this move was evidence of this and that he and his team take a good look at DD and its acceptance by customers.

I also prefer that RCI keeps DD for QU class -- purpose built ships and possibly future ship classes. Edited by SherriZ366