Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

(By the way, you went for the incorrect "could care less", unless you really MEANT to say they care a lot about more than tips...) :rolleyes:

You got me on that one. That's what you can get for watching football and posting at the same time. Yes, I intended to say they couldn't care less.

It's easy to make fun of some one's silly error but it is obvious that most knew what I intended to say. I note that no one has refuted my argument that the wonderful waitstaff really only cares about establishing a 'relationship' with their customers when it improves their tips.

I haven't seen any official reports. I did read here that one sailing only had about 3500 passengers, against a capacity of 4900 or so. IF that's true, that's HIGHLY unusual - and troubling for RCI - I'd say...

The maiden sailing had about that many paying passengers - but quite a few "guests".:cool:

The one experiment that is not being talked about in all of these Quantum bashing threads is RCI desire to keep prices high (CEO mentioned it recently) and restrict discounting. Other than the holiday sailings I think most others had below capacity sailings - probably due to the inflated prices and lack of discounts.

All of this bashing is coming a bit late for the Quantum - most of the US based sailings have already had their final payment date - RCI already has the money.

Edited by Biker19

You got me on that one. That's what you can get for watching football and posting at the same time. Yes, I intended to say they couldn't care less.

It's easy to make fun of some one's silly error but it is obvious that most knew what I intended to say. I note that no one has refuted my argument that the wonderful waitstaff really only cares about establishing a 'relationship' with their customers when it improves their tips.

Well, there's understanding what you mean, and agreeing with you. Two entirely separate ideas there! :)

You are probably the most enthusiastic supporter of Dynamic Dining on this thread, and I don't think refuting your assertion about the waitstaff will change your opinion, so I won't try. I'm not a DD supporter at all, and although I'm enjoying reading the whole discussion, you haven't changed my opinion either.

Edited by lisiamc

There you go, just focus on my point out of your error, not of the other points I made, which are hard to argue with. ;)

As for refuting your argument - that's an opinion, and one can't refute opinions, there's nothing there to refute. On the other hand, one CAN refute (falsely stated) "facts", like this earlier post of yours:

The vast majority of DD reviews are extremely negative? Really?

Cruise critic has 110 reviews of Quantum.

Excellent 26

Very Good 10

Average 31

Poor 25

Terrible 11

Dining was given a 3 overall.

Six other RCI ships, none with DD, were also rated a 3 for dining.

Might be lower than most but hardly a majority rating of "extremely negative". And, quite a few of the negative ratings can be solved by adding assistant waiters and faster service. The only part of the negative reviews that cannot be fixed short of abolishing DD, comes from those who love traditional dining.

Dining was given a 2 overall on Quantum, not a 3. Quantum is the ONLY RCI ship to receive a 2 on Dining, ever other ship was higher and RCI's overall Dining rating is a 4. Quantum is also the ONLY RCI ship with Dynamic Dining. Quantum has received "loved it" ratings from 34% of CC reviewers. The next lowest ship in the RCI fleet received "loved it" ratings from 68% of CC reviewers, that's exactly DOUBLE!

There's a little refuting for you... :cool:

First off, that's your own opinion, so there's not that much to refute, but I did make a point in my last post to say that I'd rather have a waitstaff that know what I like/dislike and make an effort to make me feel special than a waiter that I have one night and could care less about me.

And I really do believe in establishing relationships with your waiters/waitresses. Yes, some only care about the tips, but don't group everyone of them into that. On our last cruise, we had the best waitstaff ever. They would welcome us by name, have my drink sitting on the table when I arrived, knew exactly which bread I wanted, and made a huge effort to talk and get to know us. Oh and NEVER once did they ask for a tip or a good review on the comment card. But guess what they received?! A nice tip and and wonderful feedback. I'm not expecting them to become my best friend, but I do believe that they want to make us feel special and have a relationship with us for that cruise, even if they forget about us the day after we disembark.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Well, there's understanding what you mean, and agreeing with you. Two entirely separate ideas there! :)

You are probably the most enthusiastic supporter of Dynamic Dining on this thread, and I don't think refuting your assertion about the waitstaff will change your opinion, so I won't try. I'm not a DD supporter at all, and although I'm enjoying reading the whole discussion, you haven't changed my opinion either.

I really don't think of myself as an advocate for DD as much as I think of myself as a critic of the traditional dining experience and a critic of those who seize upon every bit of bad news about DD as proof that DD is a misguided strategy doomed to failure. Anyone who thinks the current 'feedback' from Quantum means Royal will drop DD are as guilty of 'desperately grasping at straws' as some have accused me of being.

If I am an advocate of anything, then I'm an advocate of changing the cruising experience to reflect a changing population.

There is an article in USA Today about the delayed DD launch for Oasis/Allure.

Among the article is the following quote "The line says there no longer is a target date for implementing dynamic dining on Oasis and Allure."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/01/02/royal-caribbean-dynamic-dining/21181665/

If I am an advocate of anything, then I'm an advocate of changing the cruising experience to reflect a changing population.

I'm with you on this. I view myself in a similar vein. I haven't tried DD, so I don't have a valid opinion on it yet. I'm excited for some aspects (the lack of formal nights, the cool menus at some of the places) and I'm hesitant about other aspects (signing up for times sucks, repetitive menus), but overall I am waiting until I try it before I bash it.

I get really sick of posters who slam everything different, just because it's different.

Also posters who slam things and complain about the company trying to make money off them... DUH. Newsflash. Companies try to maximize profits while balancing gaining/losing customers in the process. Seriously, this is NOT NEWS and shouldn't be news to anyone. The 1955 standard-issue post-WWII business model doesn't work in 2015, no matter how much you want it to.

And posters who pretend that their personal likes/dislikes are the only things that should be addressed by the cruise line. Even if a bunch of people here agree with you, you still may or may not reflect the general cruising population.

The weird part is how they disappear when the topic becomes moot.

There were threads upon threads about how removing smoking from balconies was going to ruin the company. How smokers make up like 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of all profits from cruise ships (duh, hyperbole) and how by taking smokers away from your pool of people buying balconies that the entire company would buckle and fold. There were broad claims that profits would sink and how the strong arm of the smoking population was going to flex its way to victory.

The ban has been in place for months now and you don't hear a peep about how bookings have crashed or how they are now having to beg people to buy balcony rooms.

The same thing happened when they built the Oasis-class ships. This was the end of cruising as we knew it. This was the world's biggest failure. Now? Silence. The protestors have forgotten their protest. The company is building 2 more of these "failures" on top of it all!

I note that no one has refuted my argument that the wonderful waitstaff really only cares about establishing a 'relationship' with their customers when it improves their tips.

How is it an argument? It is just a silly stating of the obvious, masking an attempt to bash cruisers who enjoy the MDR.

You mean wait staff are working to make money?!?! NOOO!!! You have discovered the secret that no cruise line wants you to know! Staff are working on a ship to make money!

The crew can think whatever they want about me, I am not the thought police....if they are friendly, serve me well, engage with my kids, and give me a pleasant dining experience, I will tip them generously. It is a mutually beneficial relationship.

Is that some kind of massive discovery to you, or were you more seeking to bash those of us who actually treat the crew with respect, and not derision?

How is it an argument? It is just a silly stating of the obvious, masking an attempt to bash cruisers who enjoy the MDR.

You mean wait staff are working to make money?!?! NOOO!!! You have discovered the secret that no cruise line wants you to know! Staff are working on a ship to make money!

The crew can think whatever they want about me, I am not the thought police....if they are friendly, serve me well, engage with my kids, and give me a pleasant dining experience, I will tip them generously. It is a mutually beneficial relationship.

Is that some kind of massive discovery to you, or were you more seeking to bash those of us who actually treat the crew with respect, and not derision?

Well put.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Well put.
Agreed!

I think you've all figured him out!

I could not help but be intrigued in such an active thread.

I have sailed NCL a fee times and had no issues with Freestyle dining. It worked pretty well. I mean, I don't remember and long waits or service problems at least.

Without conducting extensive research would someone kindly explain to me the difference between Freestyle and DD and what seems to be the 2 or 3 big issues with DD creating problems.

Best-

Steve

I have sailed NCL a fee times and had no issues with Freestyle dining. It worked pretty well. I mean, I don't remember and long waits or service problems at least.

Without conducting extensive research would someone kindly explain to me the difference between Freestyle and DD and what seems to be the 2 or 3 big issues with DD creating problems.

Best-

Steve

On NCL did you have to reserve, or is it even an option, your dining times and select the restaurant before your cruise? It appears that the new dining on RCI allows people to reserve ahead of time and those who don't have to wait in line. It also appears that those with reservations change their minds and people are waiting for a table when a reserved table doesn't get used. At least this is what I have learned from the posts that I have read so far.

Reserving shows ahead of time helps to make sure you get in everything that you want to do but reserving dining seems to be carrying planning a little too far. The lack of needed planning has always been something that I have enjoyed about cruising.

I think you've all figured him out!

I figured him out while ago and I also agree with everything he said.

Best-

Steve

On NCL did you have to reserve, or is it even an option, your dining times and select the restaurant before your cruise? It appears that the new dining on RCI allows people to reserve ahead of time and those who don't have to wait in line. It also appears that those with reservations change their minds and people are waiting for a table when a reserved table doesn't get used. At least this is what I have learned from the posts that I have read so far.

Reserving shows ahead of time helps to make sure you get in everything that you want to do but reserving dining seems to be carrying planning a little too far. The lack of needed planning has always been something that I have enjoyed about cruising.

Until recently, NCL did not do reservations for the MDR, and in my experience, Freestyle worked very well. No long waits, you just ate when you wanted to. I think one problem with Dynamic Dining may be that guests seem to think they need to make reservations or they won't get in, and so even folks who might not want to be booking dinner in advance may be practicing "defensive dining reservations." It's also possible that the four included restaurants don't have sufficient capacity to handle true freestyle dining.

OK-Had my introduction to this the other day but I think I may be getting this now!!:o

My unprofessional opinion and someone who worked as a waitress for many years..........

Being cruising is so day by day and really hard to plan anything from way far out, yes, I think going to no reservations at all is probably the way to try. If the dining room is full, you can have a few drinks and be put on the wait list or go to another if that is not your only dining preference for the night. Making reservations from months out and not showing up can screw everything up and Royal needs to know how long the average table sits and not over book one would think. I'll bet not enough thought went into that-obviously.

Also-I'm thinking the kitchen also needs to learn how to stagger the meals. Before they just put everything out at the same time, easy peasy. To be chef and have to stagger this all night long takes some talent. One I could not even fathom to attempt.!! :eek: Wait staff does tend to hide when the natives are hungry and food is not ready!!;)

MTD worked because I think it did not deal with the amount of walk ins as so many still like traditional dining.

Who knows I'm just sitting behind a computer screen solving world problems!! LOL:p I'm just worried my Windjammer will get more busy now!!!:(

Excuse me if I seem like I've just butted into a conversation half way through but I'm new here! I've been reading about 'Dynamic Dining' because we (my wife and I) experienced it on Quantum's Inaugural Transatlantic last November. We had already cruised on Independence in May. Two cruises in one year?, well we had both reached certain age milestones.

Independence had a 3 tier main dining room. I am a coeliac, (some spell it celiac and in Canada I think we are Silly Yaks) which means no gluten whatsoever, ever again. I have to be careful with food. I have to be sure of its contents. Eating out in a new establishment is always fraught with problems. I have to explain to waiters. I have to ask which dishes don't contain gluten. Waiters have to find out for me, asking kitchen staff if necessary. Main Dining worked brilliantly for me on Independence. I registered with the staff as a coeliac shortly after boarding. Everyone who dealt with our dining experiences knew that I was coeliac. I hardly ever had to mention it again once they knew. Same desk staff, same waiter, same matre d every evening. I was given the following day's menu each evening to choose my meal from, and gluten free bread would be provided without me even asking for it.

Now imagine Dynamic Dining on Quantum. Different restaurant each time. Different desk staff. Different waiter every time. How many times should a person have to explain that if they ingested a tiny amount of gluten it would give them a severe stomach upset, an autoimmune reaction would occur, the body's immune system would attack the gluten proteins in the gut, the gut lining would be attacked and the little villi that extract nutrient would be flattened, resulting in malabsorption, anaemia, bone weakening, possible bowel cancer...not good material to discuss with a table full of strangers in a restaurant present.

If it were not for my CD, DD would be OK. As it was, on Quantum I was lucky if there was one main course on each menu in each restaurant that I could eat. I had the same grilled banana split in three different restaurants, and chicken curry three times on the day we visited the oriental restaurant. I will certainly be avoiding any cruise ship that doesn't have a main dining room in future.

Whatever the dining situation is in August ......it is what it is.

I think I will miss if anything the consistency of table mates.

Also

after our first night the wait staff always had our beverages routinely delivered within minutes of our seating....

Something so small that meant so much.

I think the personal touch will be gone.

:(

Safe travels.

We just got off the Oasis where I booked a cruise on the Freedom for next fall. I was asked if I wanted traditional or MTD. I asked if dynamic dining would be there and she said RC is reevaluating extending dynamic dining to its ships. She said the main reason is that people on longer cruises are not happy with it.

I like the concept but clearly they are having enough negative feedback to rethink it. At least they are reacting to it instead of just moving forward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Until recently, NCL did not do reservations for the MDR, and in my experience, Freestyle worked very well. No long waits, you just ate when you wanted to. I think one problem with Dynamic Dining may be that guests seem to think they need to make reservations or they won't get in, and so even folks who might not want to be booking dinner in advance may be practicing "defensive dining reservations." It's also possible that the four included restaurants don't have sufficient capacity to handle true freestyle dining.

Even now with the amended NCL Freestyle with reservations, it seemed to me that they only opened a very limited number of reservations at the complimentary venues, so that those who were freestylin' could still be accommodate without a long wait. We didn't see any long waits on our recent Breakaway cruise, and tables were easier to come by at the complimentary venues than they were at the specialty venues.

The big difference between Freestyle and Dynamic Dining seems to be the number of reservations available. RCI seems to be allowing many, many more reservations than NCL such that folks who are trying to be "dynamic" stand a much higher chance of getting shut out on RCI than they would on NCL. That's just my impression. I think RCI can address some of these issues by allowing fewer reservations... And think they will indeed realize that they need to do just that. It may upset some who cannot get reservations when they want, but I think it would make the overall system work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app