Dynamic Dining postponed for Oasis & Allure

brfan

[quote name='SherriZ366']
and bookings for QU are down, [/quote]

I had no idea bookings were down. Now that Is something they will listen to.

One thing that is not down on any bookings left here in the states are suites. Every cruise I look at, most are gone!!!

[quote name='Debde']I had no idea bookings were down. Now that Is something they will listen to.

One thing that is not down on any bookings left here in the states are suites. Every cruise I look at, most are gone!!![/QUOTE]Bookings being off their projection is a strong statement.

[quote name='SherriZ366']Michael Bayley was named RCI;s President and CEO on December 8, 2014. A few weeks later, DD implementation was postponed for OA & AL. especially in view of the problems on QU. I have heard that Mr. Bayley is very customer oriented. Hope this move was evidence of this and that he and his team take a good look at DD and its acceptance by customers.

I also prefer that RCI keeps DD for QU class -- purpose built ships and possibly future ship classes.[/QUOTE]

If it is going to work, it should work on ships built specifically for dynamic dining.

I do not see why they cant have it on some ships and not on others, give people a choice. Isnt that is what dynamic dining is all about?

[quote name='SherriZ366']Bookings being off their projection is a strong statement.[/QUOTE]

Do we actually know that for sure? I may have missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There could be another explanation. When RCI said they had received "positive feedback", that did not necessarily mean they had received that feedback from those who'd actually experienced DD. They could have received "positive feedback" from those who had participated in focus groups or responded to surveys. If that is the case, then the expansion could still be in their plans. Once they get DD fixed of course.
Good point as DD may have worked well for focus groups - not so much for real cruisers so far.

I wonder if they explained to the focus groups that dinner would sometimes take 3 hours, you might have to wait 30-60 minutes without an advance reservation, and the IT systems make reservations a big pain to make?

The focus groups (if they had them) gave feedback on "DD the Dream", not "DD the Reality."

I wonder if they explained to the focus groups that dinner would sometimes take 3 hours, you might have to wait 30-60 minutes without an advance reservation, and the IT systems make reservations a big pain to make?

The focus groups (if they had them) gave feedback on "DD the Dream", not "DD the Reality."

Or that their food would be cold or that those with reservations wait in the same line as those without (this is not the case on ships with MTD) or that the orders input into the tablet might not make it to the kitchen.

Your point about the focus groups making a decision based on the Dream rather than on the Reality is a good one.

Edited by SherriZ366

Why, of course they did. And, when give a choice between the scenario you describe and the traditional dining experience of sharing the same table every night with the same boring table mates you would never have chosen as dining companions, of establishing a 'relationship' with waiters who could care less about anything but your tip money, and dressing up like a penguin twice a week to dine on formal nights, the focus group still preferred Dynamic Dining. <grin>

Why, of course they did. And, when give a choice between the scenario you describe and the traditional dining experience of sharing the same table every night with the same boring table mates you would never have chosen as dining companions, of establishing a 'relationship' with waiters who could care less about anything but your tip money, and dressing up like a penguin twice a week to dine on formal nights, the focus group still preferred Dynamic Dining. <grin>

Wow... Definitely an interesting idea of traditional dining. :eek: But since that's how you view traditional dining, then I understand why you seem to love dynamic dining.

Oh and by the way, when given the choice between having a reserved table every night at a time that coordinates with shows with a rotating menu that gives us different options every night and a wait team that tends to our every need, or dynamic dining where I need to reserve restaurants that have the same menu months in advance, coordinate that with shows, and then wait hours to get in to the restaurant where the waiter (yes only one waiter, no asst) could care less about me, I still prefer Traditional dining. :D

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Why, of course they did. And, when give a choice between the scenario you describe and the traditional dining experience of sharing the same table every night with the same boring table mates you would never have chosen as dining companions, of establishing a 'relationship' with waiters who could care less about anything but your tip money, and dressing up like a penguin twice a week to dine on formal nights, the focus group still preferred Dynamic Dining.

Keep that wishful thinking up, RocketMan, it's definitely good for a chuckle watching the desperate straw-grasping! :D

Remember, 34% of CC members who have tried it "love" Quantum, compared to 68-86% for every other ship in the fleet. That ain't focus groups commenting on a dream, that's reality!

(By the way, you went for the incorrect "could care less", unless you really MEANT to say they care a lot about more than tips...) :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I really don't care if we have DD or not on our May 16th Oasis cruise. I just wish they would let me know one way or the other. If I have DD it sounds like there is a lot of work to be done to be prepared. I'm the one responsible for scheduling shows and meals for our group of 8 (ranging in age from 83 to 14) and making sure everyone is happy. I hope I only have to worry about the entertainment and they put us all back in early seating like we originally chose. The lack of answers from RCL is the most frustrating part of this for me.

Ok I'm done ranting!! Happy New Year and Happy Crusing!!

This report I'd love to see.
Me too!

I haven't seen any official reports. I did read here that one sailing only had about 3500 passengers, against a capacity of 4900 or so. IF that's true, that's HIGHLY unusual - and troubling for RCI - I'd say...

I am not sure what ship has the MDR you describe, I have never been on it, having cruised Disney, Carnival, Princess, and a river cruise in Europe.

Then again, if it is a choice between what you describe and the disaster that Dynamic Dining is in its current state, I will take the boring table mate. At least I can eat while they bore me, rather than stand in line.

Dear Royal Caribbean,

No one goes on a cruise to stand in line for dinner.

Sincerely,

The customer

Dear customer,

But some guy on Cruise Critic said everyone hated the MDR. Something about penguins and "could care less" when I think he meant "couldn't care less".

We are convening a focus group to see what he really meant. Please have patience.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Dear Royal Caribbean,

No one goes on a cruise to stand in line for dinner.

Sincerely,

The customer

Dear customer,

But some guy on Cruise Critic said everyone hated the MDR. Something about penguins and "could care less" when I think he meant "couldn't care less".

We are convening a focus group to see what he really meant. Please have patience.

Sincerely,

Haha, love it! :D

I am not sure what ship has the MDR you describe, I have never been on it, having cruised Disney, Carnival, Princess, and a river cruise in Europe.

Then again, if it is a choice between what you describe and the disaster that Dynamic Dining is in its current state, I will take the boring table mate. At least I can eat while they bore me, rather than stand in line.

Dear customer,

Sincerely,

Can't stop laughing here :cool:

I haven't seen any official reports. I did read here that one sailing only had about 3500 passengers, against a capacity of 4900 or so. IF that's true, that's HIGHLY unusual - and troubling for RCI - I'd say...

If that is true, RCL will probably send the ship to China to find more passengers.

An official report may or may not ever be released to the public. Very few government or corporate errors and failures are ever admitted to.

Progress is normal as is change, hopefully the two lead to improvement and I am the first to admit and accept that. Having lived to see the development of cell phones that have hundreds if not thousands of times the capabilities of the old five ton Univac computers of the 50's I am in awe of all the innovation and experimentation whose fruits we all benefit from.

I am glad that RCCL is a leader in all this and am also glad that they appear to be rethinking the entire DD rollout before it may be too late and their fleet of DD ships become a used car lot of old Edsels.

With or without any negative reporting one can see that something is going on when the plans to implement DD are in flux.

OMO

bosco

You beat me to it. Honestly, seeing someone eat a burger affects someone so much?

#firstworldproblems

I just saw the press release from RCI, the following signs will be posted outside all dining rooms on the Anthem of the Seas:

"It is requested that when dinning in The Grande that you observe our formal dress code, and not eat any entree that the cruise critic mafia deem inappropriate for our formal setting. Examples of inappropriate items include, but are not limited to:

cheeseburgers, bread sticks, steak serve passed medium

chicken without any kind of "reduction" sauce, soda of any kind, desserts without an outline of silverware dusted with cinnamon, wine that can be purchased at Costco or Trader Joes, and/or any entree without kale, chia, pine nuts, flax seed, or organic fair trade conflict free open source coffee.

Under NO circumstances will gluten be consumed without sight of any other diner wearing formal attire. Failure to abide by these policies will result in immediate disembarkation from the ship. Please remember to state your crown and anchor level in each sentence when addressing a cruise critic member.

Please note that any person who has not reached puberty cannot be seated within the gaze of a certified "your business is my business" cruise critic mafia police member.

BWAH!

I love it. The funniest thing is that to some of those complaining about this, #firstworldproblems are the only problems they have. OR at least all they'll fess up to. I'm not sure why people as snooty and uppity as someone who doesn't wish to even see lesser sub-par humans eat is even on a cruise line like Royal in the first place.

I read a lot of travel information online. I subscribe to 3 different travel magazines. I belong to several travel/cruise-related message boards. I may be missing it, but I've never seen Royal listed as a luxury brand in any of those places.

One of the worst passengers I've ever had the displeasure of sitting next to at a MDR table was the most snobby person I've been around. In the glut of information she provided about herself was the fact that her first Royal cruise was long before her husband was one of Chicago's top surgeons.

I have to wonder if some of the extra uppity folks who can't stand seeing the common folk (or as the one poster put it "the bubbas") around them on a cruise started off in a similar fashion? Maybe they just started here as a normal person, but have evolved into this higher being they are now? It's really weird to watch.

Good point as DD may have worked well for focus groups - not so much for real cruisers so far.

Funny how the opinion of focus groups who have never tried something counts for so much but around here people who have never tried DD are not allowed to have an opinon about it.