Worried about the Eclipse. Please Help??

portcbob

Hi Guys.

Bob and Chris from Australia calling. Have just read a couple of real bad food reviews about the Celebrity Eclipse on another forum. People are saying that the usual great food quality in the MDR has really dropped off to a point where the food in the Buffet is much better. I find it hard to believe however that's what some recent travelers have stated.

Just hoping this forum can give us some reinsurance that the food quality is still alright as we are travelling a long way to Miami to catch the eclipse if we still do the 14 night Caribbean cruise on her.

Thankyou for your help.

Cheers Bob.

Food is always a point of preference. You will see as many 'good' reviews as 'bad' reviews on quality and quantity. I for one have never had any issue with cruise food. If I find something I don't want or don't like, I get something else. To be honest, I don't spend alot of time in 5 star restaurants. Don't worry about the food and enjoy your cruise.:)

We just returned (Decr 21) from 14 days on the Eclipse.

Don't think you should worry too much about the MDR food. There were some low points but mostly high marks from us.

Most of the soups were disappointing - very watery at times. Seem to remember the mushroom soup especially, being much thicker and nicer in the past. Some of the fish dishes were a wee bit overcooked. But when you consider that they are preparing for a crowd this sometimes happens when it sits too long.

The short ribs and the lamb shanks and the osso bucco were great.

Must say that some of the menu descriptions did not measure up to what was on the plate. We like our veggies but the pureed sweet potatoes turned out to be just a "smear" on the plate under everything else, and carrots and beans were simply a couple of pieces almost as an afterthought. The brussel sprouts we must say, were inedible. They just don't know how to cook them!! Only two or three though, so no problem, but to call them "crisp" was a bit much.

The buffet was okay, but we only there for lunch.

Happy cruising and eating!!!

We just returned (Decr 21) from 14 days on the Eclipse.

Don't think you should worry too much about the MDR food. There were some low points but mostly high marks from us.

Most of the soups were disappointing - very watery at times. Seem to remember the mushroom soup especially, being much thicker and nicer in the past. Some of the fish dishes were a wee bit overcooked. But when you consider that they are preparing for a crowd this sometimes happens when it sits too long.

The short ribs and the lamb shanks and the osso bucco were great.

Must say that some of the menu descriptions did not measure up to what was on the plate. We like our veggies but the pureed sweet potatoes turned out to be just a "smear" on the plate under everything else, and carrots and beans were simply a couple of pieces almost as an afterthought. The brussel sprouts we must say, were inedible. They just don't know how to cook them!! Only two or three though, so no problem, but to call them "crisp" was a bit much.

The buffet was okay, but we only there for lunch.

Happy cruising and eating!!!

We were on the Eclipse, too. We agree with most of your posting. However, regardless of the amount of people on a ship or how many people are being cooked for, that is not an excuse for the decline in the quality of the food on any ship or cruise line. The food is becoming one of the big cutbacks now. We don't go hungry, but the quality has sure gone down in the past 5 years. JMHO!

Hi Guys.

Bob and Chris from Australia calling. Have just read a couple of real bad food reviews about the Celebrity Eclipse on another forum. People are saying that the usual great food quality in the MDR has really dropped off to a point where the food in the Buffet is much better. I find it hard to believe however that's what some recent travelers have stated.

Just hoping this forum can give us some reinsurance that the food quality is still alright as we are travelling a long way to Miami to catch the eclipse if we still do the 14 night Caribbean cruise on her.

Thankyou for your help.

Cheers Bob.

The food overall was very good/excellent in the MDR last Jan. We really didn't do much for soups,however.We'll see how the MDR holds up this year. If the same excutive chef is still there, I feel that will be a good sign. The specialty restaurants were excellent overall. We're both in the food industry & real "foodies" so I think we have pretty good judgement. We'll post a thorough review after our trip(Jan.18-Feb. 1)

Any cutbacks in the MDR will affect the buffet just as much, so those reviews are "grain of salt" types to begin with. Some people complain about the leisurely pace in the MDR -- that is what fine dining is supposed to be, not a cutback, was always like that. If you want to eat and run, the buffet is for you -- but don't expect the food to be better than the MDR.

Just returned from the Dec.7-21 Eclipse sailing. The food was wildly inconsistent. The onion soup was fine, the New England clam chowder was like watery potato soup. I had escargot every night, which were fine.

The fish was terrible, completely overcooked and dry. The only good fish was the salmon confit and it was served only one night at the end of the cruise. Some people we met told me to skip the salmon listed on the "every night" menu. I should have listened. It was dry and tasteless. It was sent back. There was a pork schnitzel and was served floating in a sea of grease. We even had problems with the Caesar salad, which lacked lemon and garlic.

The prime rib, however, was excellent.

There were nights when I ordered two appetizers, soup, and dessert.

We ate in Murano for three nights and the food and service were first class.

I consume more calories at the Molecular Bar than I do in the MDR.

There are enough posts to indicate that the dining experience is inconsistent not only from day to day but from ship to ship. If enough people found the food an issue, there will be changes after HQ gets passenger feedback.

I'm a soup and sandwich type of guy but I remember showing the one vegetable in my Minestrone to the Maitre d' one year and was told that the server must have taken it from the top.... That was the same year I had one raisin in my rum raisin ice cream... (The rum bottle was on the same shelf, unopened) ;)

It has gotten better but I think some chefs and food preps are not up to par on some ships.

Weight gain has nothing to do with the quality of food. After three months on board I came home within one pound of my starting weight.

The good stuff in moderation... leave room for the stuff one really craves... ;)

I'm a soup and sandwich type of guy but I remember showing the one vegetable in my Minestrone to the Maitre d' one year and was told that the server must have taken it from the top.... That was the same year I had one raisin in my rum raisin ice cream... (The rum bottle was on the same shelf, unopened) ;)

That would be funny if it weren't true at times. On one dinner in Blu last year on one of the m-class ships, I challenged the waiter and maitre d' to find even one piece of onion in my onion soup....(true).

The food does vary. I am not too bashful about sending something bad back and getting something else for dinner. Generally anything with lamb is good to excellent, fish depends on how busy the cook is and can vary all over the lot....pheasant and other non chicken/turkey birds should be avoided at all costs. Steak/prime rib can be good but often the first one served is not great (and gets sent back), but the second one served is good. Although it can get boring, the "always available" apple pie is great with different ice creams...most of the other desserts in the MDR and blu are mis-able....far better to stop by cafe bacio for something worth the caloriies after dinner perhaps with some good (some would say drinkable) coffee. (note: none of the above applies to the specialty restaurants...they are very good to excellent and absolutely get the desserts).

Irrespective of the advertising, Celebrity is a mass market cruise line and their food is equivalent to a mid/mass market restaurant food at home. It's really a matter of expectations....and at this point, I think celebrity's advertising is setting expectations a bit too high.....but that's marketing.

Don't read this post wrong....IMHO, Celebrity is still the premier mass market cruise line. Are there better cruise experiences and food...sure....at a significantly higher price (in most cases...I think suite passengers might disagree since celebrity suite prices have gone up so much on some cruises).

Edited by ghstudio

I concur with this previous posting. Additionally, I did notice was a reduction in the quality of service. I don't know if staff has been reduced or the number of assigned tables increased, but service suffered. One night our table was given away in the confusion.

I'm just off the Eclipse and will add my advice -- if you don't see enough vegetables on the plate to suit you, order a plateful. If you feel like your onion soup lacks onions, ask for another bowl. The servers will bend over backwards to please you. Some friends of mine ask for a standing order of broccoli each night, and there it is for them. Other friends ask for a standing order of sweet potatoes. Each night they receive a nice bowlful, enough to share. BTW, I had the pork schnitzel and it was not greasy at all. Same cruise, different experience.

Sorry to hear about watery soups, meager veggies etc...How were the salad dressings?

we dine in Blu where I often ask for double veggies, no carbs...and used to do the same in MDR as well... you can just ask for extras when you order

on our recent Reflection cruise , the "homemade" soups in the Bistro on Five were excellent ......dh got the recipe from the chef for the cream of celery.soup....it was a huge success at our Thanksgiving dinner!

Sounds like some improvement may be needed on the Eclipse.

We were on the Eclipse less than a month ago and our table of 6 from 3 different countries was very pleased with MDR dinners 98% of the time. One person ordered extra sides most nights because she enjoyed them so much. In general,our favorites were the escargot, the lamb dishes, the beef/steaks, and most of the fish...not the rockfish, but the Bronzino was delicious!

But food is very subjective, so if something is not to your liking, ask for a replacement item...the wait staff wants you happy.

Also just back on Dec 21st. I also think the food quality has declined significantly. But even so you can still have a satisfying meal, just takes a bit more pick and choose. I am hoping the food will be better on the Equinox in January.

hoping for .........;

1. Febr.

.......... sailing with my daughter who still fondly remembers X sailings years ago ... though I cautioned her enthusiasm pointing out undesirable dining experiences during several recent sailings;

- perhaps its time to leave X, if the X turns out to be another disappointment .... better to go with someone who does not make high flying claims of superiority without delivering on it .....

I would not say that all the food was excellent, but it was definitely not bad..Too many tables, not enough wait staff is a fact.. That should be addressed..The staff runs around to try and stay on schedule for the next seating.. That leaves no room for any type of special type dining experience that you believe, or expect you are gonna get on a cruise..Everything just seems to be a rush from the minute you sit down....For me, a blue collar worker, who appreciates being able to go on a great vacation, not a big deal..But then there are those who think that they deserve, and expect Royal treatment, like the brochure says, and will complain about anything...You see that alot while on board..MDR food is good to very good on Eclipse..We chose a 3 day specialty restaurant package in March and will do that again..Murano was excellent, Qsine very good, as was the other venue, Tuscan Grille..Buffet was good because you have many choices and not crowded for dinner...Again, for me the buffet was fine..For those high society types, you know, the ones that get a butler for their suite, they would not eat in a place where they had to serve themselves..To each his own...

We just got back from the Eclipse 14 day cruise. Both of us thought the MDR meals had definitely slipped. We did have some very good dishes, but a lot were just okay. A few things were almost inedible--the soups especially were bad. One sip of the cold strawberry soup was enough. My minestrone was definitely lacking in the vegetable department and it was difficult to actually find meat in soups that were supposed to have it.

I eat mainly beef and pork, some shrimp and lobster, don't eat chicken, lamb or veal. Most of my meats were pretty good. I also enjoyed some of the pasta dishes or vegetarian entrees as appetizers (asked for smaller portions) since a lot of the appetizers didn't appeal. They were mostly excellent.

Veggie portions were small and about 80% of the time were green beans. Now I like green beans, but not almost every meal. I agree that the brussel sprouts were inedible. Mine were definitely crisp, or what I would call hard.

Desserts were pretty bad, both in the MDR and the buffet. We enjoyed the ice creams and sorbets both in the MDR, buffet and on deck, and the oatmeal raisin cookies. The so-called canapes for concierge were so awful we quit ordering them. Yes, I know we could have had cheese and crackers, but we really didn't need any more food anyway.

Neither of us really enjoyed the buffet as it was almost always the same, day after day. Main entrees were mostly bland and overcooked. Love the fruits though. I like the lay out of the buffet though, and breakfast choices were varied and good.

They do have great burgers and fries in the grill, the best I've had at sea. Our service was mostly excellent, though a few times a little slow. In spite of the complaints, we had more than enough to eat! Mostly because we eat way more often with more courses than we do at home.

We are currently booked on B2B's in 2016 for South America...and B2B in Asia for 2017. I am hopeful that Celebrity will reverse the trend prior to those trips or we may reconsider prior to final payment. I do understand that their entire focus right now is on suites....but at some point in the next 12 months or so, I am hopeful that someone in HQ will focus on the other 90% of the passengers (rough guess) and add at least a few onions back to the onion soup, etc. If things change for the better, I'm sure I'll read about it here on CC first....

Back from the Eclipse Dec 7. If you don't see something on the menu that interests you in the main dining room, they do a great job of grilling meat and fish in the Ocean View at night. If you don't mind serving yourself you can get a great tuna steak done to your liking. Lots of other choices like other fish, steak, pork chops and chicken were offered. Sushi quality was better than last few cruises.

Love the escargot and onion soup!