Long! Ryndam, Southern Caribbean Dec. 7 - 21, 2014

Ineke

We changed things up a bit this year and went cruising before Christmas rather than immediately after Christmas. We found ourselves with some extra time and having found some great fares for the 2 week cruise, we booked, only 2 weeks before leaving. Getting airfare was a more expensive item for sure, but at least we got a direct flight, out of Seattle with Alaska Airlines.

We took off on Saturday morning, having left home in Vancouver BC in a miserable rain and windstorm, at 1:30 a.m. Yikes! But we were nicely in time for our flight and knowing it was a direct flight gave us real peace of mind.

Arriving in Tampa, we had booked a room at the Westin Tampa Bay, which we liked but was a bit far away from the cruise port. We slept for the next 12 hours and at about 11:30 caught a cab to the cruiseport.

There we encountered traffic nightmares and gridlock. As it turned out, there had been dense fog that morning and all 3 ships in port had docked a few hours late. Disembarkation was barely finished, and people were lined up all the way around the terminal building. I must admit to a sinking feeling when I saw all the people with wheelchairs, walkers, scooters etc., many very elderly, standing there in the drizzle, it was not at all what we had expected! We asked a porter where to go, and he told us to follow a line of people that had started to move, these were the in-transit people. Of course we were not in transit, so we were stopped when we got to the end of the line, where fortunately we were redirected to stand with a group of folks needing assistance. Having recently had hip replacement surgery, I was one of those people this time around. I think that on this cruise people needing some form of assistance were in the majority.

Once the doors opened, things actually went very smoothly, we didn't even need to have our pictures taken as we were still in the system.

Once on board we went to our room to drop our backpack and headed up to the MDR for the Mariners lunch, which had just started at 1 p.m. It was lovely to finally be able to look around and say "We're here, we're on vacation!"

After Muster Drill, which went smoothly, we went up to the Lido deck for Sailway, where we met others of the Cruise Critic Roll Call. Since Sailaway was late, we went to the Crowsnest where we enjoyed a few drinks and chatted with other passengers. After unpacking we had dinner in the Lido and rolled into bed exhausted but happy. Let the cruise begin!

Arriving in Key West was beautiful, the sunshine, the blue blue water, wonderful. Due to limitations to my mobility we decided to stay on board and just watch from the deck, and there was lots to see. The entertainment in the square was great! It was a lovely day and we enjoyed every moment, including the spectacular sunset. That evening we headed to Anytime dining, with great trepidation, at about 7:00 p.m. We have always enjoyed Fixed time dining, but there a long waitlist for both early and late seating times, so Anytime it was. There was a long wait, but we finally got a table with 2 other couples. It was a very pleasant evening and we were able to sit together with all or some of same people most evenings, not necessarily at the same table. Somehow Asta remembered that we enjoyed each other's company and managed to seat us together at least half the time.

While we were not able to get to know our dining room stewards, they were unfailingly prompt and pleasant. The wine steward Paulyn always managed to find us and have our bottle of wine for us within minutes of our arrival. Fabio, the 'Yum Yum man', felt badly that he had no ginger left one evening and after that made a personal delivery to our table each evening. Just wonderful! We enjoyed all the dinner offerings, there was not a single thing that we did not enjoy or that was not prepared as we liked it. Sure miss that now that we're back home.

Our daily routine became exactly that: breakfast in the Lido, omelet for DH, Egg Florentine for me, fresh squeezed OJ, little bit of smoked salmon with lemon and capers, and a piece of toast and some fresh fruit. |Oh, and coffee of course, which DH, a picky coffee person, pronounced much better than last year. Phew! After that we would find a nice place on the aft deck, close to the railing, set up the umbrella and read and relax. Lunch was either a bit of cheese and crackers and fruit or a shared burger from the Dive-In, those are awesome burgers! We miss the croquettes they used to offer but you can't beat those burgers! In the afternoon we would wander around a bit and check out various venues, but didn't actually do anything...Before dinner drinks in the Crowsnest, dinner in the MDR, show afterwards, and then back up to the Crowsnest for drinks and music, and watching the dancing.

We enjoyed many of the shows we saw. The first two nights were a bit lame, but the rest was enjoyable.

We were surprised to receive an invitation to a reception to receive our Bronze Medallion, we hadn't realized we were over 100 days! An unexpected pleasure, yay us!

The lunch afterwards was very nice and well attended.

We had been to all the ports several times over the past number of years. We had booked a tour in Puerto Rico but were called back when scanning out for an urgent message from home. This is never good news! When we got to the Front Desk we were taken aside and notified that my brother has passed away, completely unexpectedly. I must give the highest praise possible to the Front Desk staff, they were amazing. They provided a quiet place to sit and placed telephone calls, set things in motion to check into flights home, arranged for Internet time, and through it all treated us with the greatest amount of courtesy and respect. I am so impressed with all that was done for us at that time. As it turned out, our family discouraged us from coming home, as several other family members were also out of the country, so we carried on. But if our decision had been otherwise, the Front Desk Staff would have found the best flights and booked them for us, from either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas. The level of care was exceptional.

What else? Our cabin stewards Santos and Jams were awesome. The bar staff in the Crows Nest were equally awesome, chasing down the last 2 bottles of DH's favourite tipple and keeping them for him...Nice!

We enjoyed the HalCats with Tabitha. We love classical music but could not imagine sitting listening to Adagio every evening. They had a huge crowd, who would all sit there with very serious faces and not talking but listening very quietly. That just wasn't for us. The library was super, great book selection!

We found the ship to be in generally good repair. We had cabin 831, second from the stern on A deck on the starboard side. It was a modified accessible room which was perfect for me as it had the walk-in shower and the grab bars that I needed. We had been warned about possible engine noise, but the only time we heard this was whenever we were coming into port. Then there was a lot of crashing and banging and other loud noises, but as soon as we were docked it all stopped again. All in all, not really a problem.

Disembarkation was a bit of a zoo as we had booked a tour but had trouble getting out and getting our suitcases when our number was called. As a result our tour didn't leave till 10 instead of 8:30, but we still arrived at the airport at 1:30, hmmm. Compared to other final day tours we have taken, which were great, this one was really not worth it, but better than sitting in the airport for 10 hours, I guess.

We met many great people on this cruise, and have hundreds of gorgeous sunset pictures to add to my collection. Not getting off the ship was really different, but it really did not lessen our enjoyment of the cruise, it was great!

DH (75) and I (68) think we brought down the average age on this cruise quite nicely :] I am being facetious but this was the oldest bunch of passengers I have ever encountered. There were practically no kids nor young people, and we missed that vibe. I understand that there were 180 children coming on for the Christmas cruise, that will have livened things up a bit!

To close, we are blessed to have been able to get away for these 2 weeks. It made getting ready for Christmas a bit hairy, but it all came together. As I hope to return to work in the New Year, we wish all who read this the very best in this coming year, and keep on cruising!

First of all, my heartfelt sympathy on the passing of your brother. I have read where others have had similar experiences and the folks at HAL really come through with customer service.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your time onboard, and wish you a Happy New Year.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your brother. I'm so sorry this happened...

I read your review because we're booked on Ryndam in May, and I was happy to read about your great experiences.

Did you find the ship in generally good condition?

Thank you for reviewing your Ryndam cruise.

Please accept my sincere sympathy in the loss of your brother.

It is pleasing to know that the HAL staff were so helpful at such a sad time.

Congratulations on receiving your Bronze Medallion.

During our 34 day Australian Circumnavigation Cruise, the after Dinner Ginger was not available throughout the cruise.

We had a wonderful time cruising with the two of you and thanks for the nice review. We had no idea of your Brother's passing, we are so sorry to hear of it and wish you both the best! It was great meeting you in the SeaTac Airport and seeing you often on the trip. Glad you could make it to the Sailaway! Keep on cruising!

Bill

Thanks for a great review. I of course am interested as we leave this Sunday on the same cruise! (Sorry about you losing your brother Sending prayers and good thoughts to you and your family)

Thank you for letting us know that Ryndam has the Classical Music. Its my favorite.

Thank you for your great review.

I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. All our sympathies.

Your words on the front desk staff are wonderful to hear. So glad they helped you in your time of need. Very nice.