Interior Vs Promenade

Some people like the view that the PR staterooms give. Personally, I'd rather be able to look outside and have natural light. Plus, there is a privacy issue with the PR staterooms. You need to keep the curtains closed if you want privacy.

I would seriously look at how much more a real oceanview stateroom would cost.

On our first cruise we booked an interior state room. We found ourselves sleeping really late. Since then, we have had an ocean view and balcony rooms and loved them.

We are going on Independence in Feb 2015 for an 8 day cruise we decided to save some $$ and go with a promenade room instead of a ocean view room. No way we will go with an interior room. Too dark.

I tried a PR room once. Personally I would think twice before booking one again. There is no privacy as the people on other side can see right in the cabin and vice-versa. We ended up keeping our curtains drawn almost all the time. It was like having an inside cabin.

I would book one again if the size of the cabin is bigger than an inside and the price is the same. Otherwise for me - I would go with the inside.

$70pp more seems pretty high. I think it was something like $15-20 more when I booked one. For that much of a difference, an outside would be a better option. You can always start with an inside and if the prices drop change the booking to a PR room.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Yes after someone suggested it here I checked the price of a regular ocean view and it's not much more. I've only ever sailed in interior rooms so the debate is if I want to spend just under $100 more for a room when I've been satisfied with an interior room in the past. I -don't- sleep late. I'm usually up by 5 every day

In the end it's a personal choice. When I sailed with my mother, we always had balconies. After she passed away I became a solo traveler and decided to try an inside cabin and I loved it. I've sailed inside cabins primarily on The Explorer and once on the Freedom as well as three TA's on the Brilliance and Navigator. I have tried promenades and an oceanview once as well. I also once found a well priced aft balcony and spent the extra money for that.

Bottom line for me is that on a Freedom class ship I am very happy in an inside cabin on deck 7 or 8 near the aft elevators. My favorite location is the inside center corridor behind the Library - super quiet and "secret" access through the back of the library. For a future B2B I have found well priced aft balcony cabins, so I'm going to try that again.

Yes after someone suggested it here I checked the price of a regular ocean view and it's not much more. I've only ever sailed in interior rooms so the debate is if I want to spend just under $100 more for a room when I've been satisfied with an interior room in the past. I -don't- sleep late. I'm usually up by 5 every day

If you're saying that an oceanview is $30 more than a PR, I'd book the oceanview ASAP.

Ocean View is 692 per person. Promenade is 677 per person. 609 for an interior.

I'd either stay in the inside or upgrade to the oceanview. The extra money for the PR would not be worth it to me.

We selected a Promenade room on the Allure. We thought it would be fun for our kids when in the room vs a regular interior. Never thought about the privacy issue though...so guess we'll only keep the blinds open when they want to look out.

I had a concern about the noise and the RCL representative said they the windows are sealed and 'shouldn't be' a problem (but of course they can't guarantee). Not sure about Freedom of the Seas, but on the Allure, the Promenade rooms are quite a bit bigger than the regular interior , and even the regular ocean view....plus a higher deck. Those were other reasons we went with it.

Edited by LuCruise

I dont like oceanview at all, unless its a balcony but between Ocean view and interior and PR. Id take oceanview, at least you can see something out there. besides PR and watching people eat and shop. I had Interior once never again, I never knew what time of day it was

We usually sail with an inside cabin and prefer midship. On that class of ships either you are either in the bottom decks or PR. We've loved our PR as we enjoy people watching. Our cabins have usually been over the jewelry shop so we can see the feeding frenzy when they have sales. It is also great to watch the parades instead of being among the crowds on the promenade. We'll pay a little extra to get a PR.

Ocean View is 692 per person. Promenade is 677 per person. 609 for an interior.

I agree with Bob. I would spend the extra $15 pp for the OV, or save the $68 pp and get the inside.

I tried a Promenade cabin on the Explorer. I have no regrets because it was a small difference from the inside, but I would not do it again. The cabin itself was satisfactory, but our cabin location was poor for viewing the parties. The curtain is drawn most of the time for privacy, making it just like an inside.

We've stayed in Promenade rooms twice and loved them! It allows us to book adjoining with our kids, so everyone has a proper bed. Also gives us two bathrooms. Can book two PR for less than one balcony. You're not really that close to the people across from you - and it's neat to see the parades and parties going on on the royal promenade. Noise is not an issue. If you're concerned about noise, book a room deck 8, farthest from the promenade on 5.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those who've not stayed in Promenade cabins, I believe that there are two curtains in the room, a sheer curtain which obscures visibility into the cabin but allows light in, and a solid curtain which grants complete privacy and blocks light.

We've often found that closing the sheer curtains provide us sufficient privacy for most of the day when we still want the light from the Royal Promenade.

Edited by Daghis

We've stayed in an Ocean View, balcony and PR.

The balcony was the best, loved the PR as we could sit on the window seat and people watch (though that was more me than the OH!!) and watch the parades.

Would have to be a good deal for us to stay in an OV again.

For those who've not stayed in Promenade cabins, I believe that there are two curtains in the room, a sheer curtain which obscures visibility into the cabin but allows light in, and a solid curtain which grants complete privacy and blocks light.

We've often found that closing the sheer curtains provide us sufficient privacy for most of the day when we still want the light from the Royal Promenade.

Spot on Daghis!

I love promande stateroom in fact my 2015 booking had a promenade

It's true that there is only a $100 diferente between promenade and oceanview but that price is if you book on the second floor of the ship. I rather have my stateroom at deck 8 in a promenade than paying more and be stuck at deck 2.

Privacy is not really an issue because I rarely see anyone looking out at the same time that in at the window in fact most people keep their windows closed so the view is for me only.

Last but not least, promenade rooms are bigger than interior.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I love promande stateroom in fact my 2015 booking had a promenade

It's true that there is only a $100 diferente between promenade and oceanview but that price is if you book on the second floor of the ship. I rather have my stateroom at deck 8 in a promenade than paying more and be stuck at deck 2.

Privacy is not really an issue because I rarely see anyone looking out at the same time that in at the window in fact most people keep their windows closed so the view is for me only.

Last but not least, promenade rooms are bigger than interior.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is the same difference that I noticed on the Allure as well. The Promenade rooms were larger than not on standard interior rooms, but also bigger than the ocean view rooms, boardwalk rooms, and rooms with a balcony. (Only the Central Park room was the same size). Also, the promenade rooms are on deck vs deck 3 for Ocean view room.

We did that room once and would not do it again. It was too noisy for me. Not all time but enough to be a problem.

To be fair I am a light sleeper, but even with earplugs some nights it was too loud.

Sent from my iPad using Forums