Sober at sea

kim4larry

Hi I'm Larry

I was all ready for my first cruise. I had apprehensions because I am recently sober. Yup I’m the one that made all the noise and got in trouble type. I have had a major life change. I found out drinking is an option not a necessity.

I was really nervous setting out on my first cruise. I’ve been attending AA for a while. I know we should stay out of the press but this was life changing. Almost Spiritual (for those who understand).

I was heading out on my first cruise on Royal Caribbean to Bermuda on OCT. 2012. I was very nervous, as I was relatively new to Sobriety. I had asked many of my sober friends if they had taken a cruise and if they had to lock themselves in their cabin. This raised many a deep laugh! I was informed that they have A.A. meetings on the Ship!

I was informed that all I had to do is go to the community Board and Look. There might or should be a message. "Friends of Bills meet at 5:00 and what room". For you non-alcoholics or future ones that’s code for friends of Bill Wilson, the founder of Alchaholics Anonymous. What a revelation. Upon my embarkation I went to the Board first thing. To my surprise the ONLY note was a "Friends of Bills" note.

I waited till just before 5 to head down. It was in kind of a secluded but beautiful, part if the ship. I found the Note on the door marking the room. As I opened the door, a single man sat at a very large table. He looked up at me and said "Welcome Home". Still puts tears in my eyes! I was not alone.

There was a meeting every day of our cruise. Not everyone made every meeting. I understand now. We had an Anniversary of sobriety at sea. It was great. I think the best part was I would bump into one of the twelve or so members on board and on the Island. It was great.

For any of you new to sobriety or not, looking forward to cruising with you and hearing your story!

Gifts of Sobriety, The miricale never end.

Larry P -- NY

:cool:

• Like 1

What a great story! :D One big money maker for the cruise line is the selling of alcohol drinks. I think that many, trying to stay sober, do not take a cruise just for this reason. '

This is the first time I have read any feedback regarding the meetings onboard and I think it is great that you posted. Thank you. :)

My husband always goes to the meetings on board and enjoys them very much. We sail Princess and I can tell you they are very supportive of AA. Meetings are announced in the daily Patter. No need to go somewhere special to find the date and time.

Many cruise lines now sell "mocktails" at the bars. Something I find helpful is to immediately order a non-alcoholic drink so the question "What are you drinking?" is defused. If they contain too much sugar there is usually the option to order "designer water" with a wedge of lemon or lime. It also helps to "play up" what you now drink and not apologize for it. For example, "Oh yes I sure can use a drink! I'd like a refreshing mixture of some club soda and cranberry juice with a wedge of lime."

Works for me, but you will have to decide if doing those things might set off a drink signal for you.

I agree you can find meetings listed in the ship's newsletter (or at least should be). If not, you can go to the purser's or passenger services desk and ask. I think cruise lines tend to be very supportive. And bartenders know how to turn many mixed drinks into mocktails.

There are various reasons many passengers won't be drinking on a cruise (pregnancy, medical conditions, just not into alcohol, etc.) so there's nothing to feel apologetic about.

So good for you and hopefully you'll be collecting many year's worth of the tokens.

Its been 3 years now, Life could not be better. I appreciate the feed back. I was worried I might offend. Thanks again

Larry

While I am not an alcoholic, and do not understand alcoholism, I am proud of your achievement! I work with some people that have had multiple DUI convictions and nearly lost their jobs, homes, family, etc. I generally do not drink alcohol on a regular basis, and when I do, can limit myself to only a few, so do not understand the whole disease. Keep up the great work, and don't ever let anyone pressure you into doing anything that you don't want to do! Congrats on your being sober and stay that way! I'll buy you a soda anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Almost Spiritual (for those who understand).

Spiritual refers to "spirits"? Or AA being religious? I'd like to know. (non-US here so I don't know much about AA or English)

As I opened the door, a single man sat at a very large table. He looked up at me and said "Welcome Home". Still puts tears in my eyes! I was not alone.

This could easily be the most important scene in a movie, I like it!

It also makes me wonder what the chances are you'd be the only one showing up.

Only after my (only) cruise I learned what FOB actually meant and I really like the fact that cruises offer those and other "friends of" meetings where drinks a major revenue for the ships. Then again, I don't like that codewords are used implying some shady business is going on instead of "sober people meet" or "gay people meet". The poker tournament I attended was not listed as "friends of Phil Ivey meet". Being a friend of Bill is something to be much more proud of than being a friend of Phil.

I was worried I might offend.

Seriously, how?

I guess I'd start out with Religion is for people who don't want to go to hell and Spirituality is for people who were there and don't want to go back.

Understanding alcoholism is a career in itself. Kinda imagine someone allergic to strawberries and still eats them. When I drink a switch goes off, one feels good, two is better then I start counting in dog years. I'm just allergic "I break out in handcuffs, just an AA joke.

No code just respecting others. I and many others have sensitive jobs and a drinking past puts doubts in some people's minds. Although justifiably so. I had to give away a Family, Kids a home and a bussiness before I even saw a problem. I should have read the warning! instant A$$, just add alcohol.

I would love to send time explaining it someday.

Always wanted to be in a movie - LOL

Funnhy today most people know someone or some family member in sobriety. Who would guess getting sober would be so cool!:):)

Praise God, what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it. I hope you and Kim will enjoy your upcoming cruise! :)

Did Explore of the Seas as our first cruise. Sailed right through sandy

WOW 125 mph winds, water in the boat, everything shut down!

I hope my luck is better the second time around.

Blueribbon-1.jpg

Thanks

I'd rather light a candle than curse at the darkness anymore

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take ; but, how many moments take your breath away. I remember those moments. It's a beautiful thing

Spiritual refers to "spirits"? Or AA being religious? I'd like to know. (non-US here so I don't know much about AA or English)

This could easily be the most important scene in a movie, I like it!

It also makes me wonder what the chances are you'd be the only one showing up.

Only after my (only) cruise I learned what FOB actually meant and I really like the fact that cruises offer those and other "friends of" meetings where drinks a major revenue for the ships. Then again, I don't like that codewords are used implying some shady business is going on instead of "sober people meet" or "gay people meet". The poker tournament I attended was not listed as "friends of Phil Ivey meet". Being a friend of Bill is something to be much more proud of than being a friend of Phil.

Seriously, how?

That second A in AA, NA, OA, etc., stands for "Anonymous." Bill W was the founding of AA as for as I know (the only similar meeting I've been to was to Overeaters Anonymous because my mother thought I should see what it's like as a writer just in case I want to use the concept in a story). It's based on a 12 step program, with one of the steps letting a "higher power" guide you -- that's the spirituality part (hopefully I'm getting this all right).

So when people who go to AA meetings see "Friends of Bill W" listed in the ship's newsletter, they know it'll be a place they can go to with others in the "same boat" as them. It sure beats having to pay an expensive call back home to their sponsor if they need the help. Probably less known is "Friends of Dorothy," but since my hometown has a good number of gays (and have worked with and for gays in the past), I know about this group.

You'll also see other groups listed from time to time, and some will be obvious (Veterans) and others may not (Red Hats).

This gave me chills! Congratulations on your accomplishment! It is something to be very proud of. I am an ex smoker who quit 3 or 4 times before finally giving it up in 2011. I smoked over a pack a day most days and for about 20 years. Of course not a pack and a half a day when I was 13 but, you know. Not that smoking is the same but, an addiction is an addiction as I'm sure you understand! You are an inspiration!!:D

Edited by Mickfarland4

Congrats Larry. One thing about the high price of liquor on ships is you will not find heavy drinking.You also will find Celebrity cruisers either have a drink in the bar before dinner or in their cabins. You have also chosen one of the most beautiful ships at sea with food to match.

• 2 months later...

Larry

ODAT

Been sober since may 30 1984...one of the things I STILL do to this day when traveling especially on ships...being that one is surrounded by booze is to check the message board ..RC has the board usually by the main desk. One trip...our meeting was in the CHAPEL on Liberty of the SEAS...how appropriate. I have learned to choose my physical location...I don't belong in the bars on ships...that's just me...WHY be in there ? I try to stay away from the big pool areas..again..that's just me...one "sobering " full of gratitude thing..since we usually get balconies we tend to hover round our balcony and watch the drunk folks scramble to get back on the ship after partaking. ..or trying to prove one is a professional drunk. Makes me sooo grateful that..there by the grace of GOD go I.

Heading back on Liberty in 7 days 15 hours...

My issue with THIS cruise is that it's SMACK in the middle of a number ofmk colleges...AND SPRING BREAK....ahhhhh...running from the room...ALWAYS VIGILANT!