Is there no more Code Orange?

djhsolara

A few years back Holland America was the leader in reported norovirus outbreaks by a long shot and was the only line, as far as I know, to implement code orange on all sailings. I am glad they moved back into step with the rest of the cruise industry.

Also on this B2B those on the first leg did not have to go to muster on the second leg

I have a feeling that the "Atlantic Adventurer" was almost considered as just one cruise. Fewer than 100 people boarded in Civitavecchia (83, I think), and there were a lot of other things that made me think "one cruise"; only one (4-star, for us) cocktail party, one Mariners' Lunch, one of each crew show, and a number of other individual events divided between the two segments. I imagine there was a private muster drill for the newcomers in Civi, but as we didn't get back from our tour until late, and we left at something like 9 p.m., it was all very casual.

I don't think that it will become the norm to have just one muster drill for every b2b.

I have a feeling that the "Atlantic Adventurer" was almost considered as just one cruise. Fewer than 100 people boarded in Civitavecchia (83, I think), and there were a lot of other things that made me think "one cruise"; only one (4-star, for us) cocktail party, one Mariners' Lunch, one of each crew show, and a number of other individual events divided between the two segments. I imagine there was a private muster drill for the newcomers in Civi, but as we didn't get back from our tour until late, and we left at something like 9 p.m., it was all very casual.

I don't think that it will become the norm to have just one muster drill for every b2b.

Yes, we were among the 80 who joined the ship in Rome and we had a small muster drill late that afternoon. We very much felt like we were joining a cruise mid-cruise rather than the beginning of another B2B. We had a small cocktail party with the captain that first night but felt overlooked in other small areas... for example, I had to go request a shore excursions booklet as there was not one in our stateroom upon arrival. Not a big deal and we had a great cruise! Felt like home away from home after our complex travels :D m--

I have a feeling that the "Atlantic Adventurer" was almost considered as just one cruise.

The Maasdam cruise? Yes, that was one 42-day cruise that was also broken down into segments. Each segment could be purchased separately.

This is different than a back-to-back which is two cruises added together; this was one cruise which could be subtracted from the other.

The Voyage of the Vikings is a similar concept. It is one long cruise, which can be broken down into segments.

No Code orange on the dec19 oosterdam but it must have been a recent change for them as the captain went through how staff would serve us etc then came back about 5min later and said no sorry we would serve ourselves but utensils would be changed regularly. Must have worked OK as there was no outbreak for us :) Captain did tell us to "wash those hands" obsessively :)

The Maasdam cruise? Yes, that was one 42-day cruise that was also broken down into segments. Each segment could be purchased separately.

This is different than a back-to-back which is two cruises added together; this was one cruise which could be subtracted from the other.

The Voyage of the Vikings is a similar concept. It is one long cruise, which can be broken down into segments.

On the 2012 Maasdam 42 day we had muster in Fll and in Civi.

Maybe Capt. choice?

Also on this B2B those on the first leg did not have to go to muster on the second leg

That's the first time I heard that. Just got off a TA doing three segments of the Black Sea, Med, TA and we had to be at all the musters or else, this was announced on the PA during every muster.

Allan

We spoke to the dining room maitre'd and he told us that it is minimal code orange. The handles on the serving utensils are different colors now and they change them every 20-30 minutes. We saw it happen while we ate breakfast in the lido one morning.

We have also noticed that they are not standing outside of the dining room/lido squirting everyone with hand sanitizer as in the past. Additionally, I have yet to see one video on the tv showing correct hand washing/sanitizing procedures.

He told us that it was completely based on the customer surveys stating the guests did not like it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My biggest service complaint on Holland America is lack of lido service.

Just off our first HAL cruise, ms Amsterdam, no "code orange", but the warm food was only served by staff. The salad and cold plates, as well as the deserts were self serve. There was also a waiter serving beverages off a rolling cart, which I thought was top notch service!

We just boarded Eurodam and are completely serving ourselves in the Lido. Have they lightened the Code Orange as they had been doing for years?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am currently on the NA. I boarded on Sunday and was surprised to see passengers serving themselves. On Tuesday at noon, the captain gets on the PA and announces that we have Noro among pax and crew. Now there is no self service anywhere, the jacuzzis were immediately closed, and on Wednesday, the thermal pool was closed.

I cruised on the Emerald Princess and ICR in the last year and both ships started out with Code Orange and there was no Noro virus on these ships.

Surprisingly, even with the virus, there are no crew at the entrance of the Lido or MDR standing with the Purcell. Some pax are walking right by the dispenser without using it.

Otherwise, a great cruise, unless you are Thea one with the Noro.

I am currently on the NA. I boarded on Sunday and was surprised to see passengers serving themselves. On Tuesday at noon, the captain gets on the PA and announces that we have Noro among pax and crew. Now there is no self service anywhere, the jacuzzis were immediately closed, and on Wednesday, the thermal pool was closed.

I cruised on the Emerald Princess and ICR in the last year and both ships started out with Code Orange and there was no Noro virus on these ships.

Surprisingly, even with the virus, there are no crew at the entrance of the Lido or MDR standing with the Purcell. Some pax are walking right by the dispenser without using it.

Sorry to hear about the Noro virus on your cruise. Stay well, wash those hands.

Sorry to hear you have the Noro Virus on your cruise.

We have been on far too many ships on HAL with the Noro Virus and were in Code Red for many days.

Maybe HAL should re-consider their decision about stopping the Code Orange for the first 48 hours.

On our Dec Ryndam cruise I spoke to the environmental officer, Neil Maitland, about the lack of Code Orange the first 48 Hours. He said that it was dispensed with in July and replaced with the new policy of changing out serving utensils often.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Wash your hands well and often. Keep your hands away from your face; no touching eyes, nose, mouth.

Purell does nothing to ward off Noro Virus. It might do some good against cold and flu but not Noro Like Virus.

Hope you have a great cruise.