Best cruise for terminally ill man and his family?

vanessasarah

Hi everyone, I am new here and looking for some info on cruises-no idea where to start! Long story short, my father has terminal cancer and would like to take his family somewhere special before he the game is over. We would most likely be 2 parents, 2 adult children and very small chance adult child and her toddler son. Or possibly 3 adult kids, no toddler.

anyway. He has very fond memories of going to Bermuda and would like to try that again, though I am sure he would be open to many things. However, we would like to have a few days at whatever the destination is to explore, especially if it's Bermuda.

Main questions: Is there a ship or a trip that you all suggest? My father does have some fairly serious health conditions (obviously) and he won't be needing chemo or anything, but he will need nearby emergency medical care just in case, and a private bathroom. For other family members, hanging out on the boat, hitting the beach, and doing lots of swimming and snorkeling or even learning to scuba is perfect.

We don't gamble or anything. We will drink, but not a ton. So we are mostly looking to save money--in addition, obviously on things like tickets!--on food on board and possibly shore excursions.

Also, we aren't sure how much time we are looking at, so the sooner the better, basically--not Jan/Feb but anytime in Mar, Aprl, May could work. A week or so is a good length. Most of us live on the East Coast, so Boston would be most ideal but could make Baltimore or NJ/NY work.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all of your help!!!!

Edited by vanessasarah

I am so sorry for what you must be going through,

A couple of practical points for you to conisder:

Will a doctor sign off on him going?

I ask because of your reference to emergency medical care, the cruise lines can be a bit finicky about letting persons in a terminal condition cruise, you may also have issues with insurance.

Not trying to put a downer on your planning and seriously hope you can make it all happen.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Your father will have to purchase special medical insurance and will be required to produce from his doctor that is able to cruise. This is pre-existing condition thus costs more.

Ships are not equipped with all types of aide like an emergency room. Remember that once he leaves the US, Medicare and other health insurance no longer covers him.

How is he getting around? Wheelchair?

You really need to talk to a travel agent in your area.

So I think you need to determine your price point on a per person basis. Are you only looking for cruises that are driving distance from your home or are you open to other ports. Cruises leaving from the east coast during the early part of the year could be quite cold for a good portion of the trip. If you are looking for a warm and sunny week you would be better to fly out of Florida.

I'm sorry you are facing a bittersweet vacation. All cruise lines spend but a few hours in port. It's not possible to spend a few days any one place.

Nothing is sailing out of Boston until May 1 when Holland and Norwegian make 7-day Bermuda cruises.

Here's the New York schedule for early 2015: http://www.newyorkcruiseguide.com/ny-cruises-2015a.html

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sail out of New Jersey: http://www.newyorkcruiseguide.com/bayonne-cruises.html

Since Dad enjoyed Bermuda, I would consider Bermuda around mid to the last week in May, Before schools let out and the weather will be great. You could do late April but the water will not be to warm.

Sailing from NY and Boston will give you two overnights in Bermuda with plenty of time to explore. Bermuda is beautiful with plenty to do and see on your own without spending money on pricey shore excursions.

Being in Bermuda, and not to far from the states in case he needs to come home may be the safest bet.

:)

Edited by janetz

I also wish you the best and hope you fulfill your fathers wish.

Why not try a short cruise out of Port Canavral and then spend a couple days in Florida to just relax and be together as a family.

Best of luck

Safe Journey

He has very fond memories of going to Bermuda and would like to try that again, though I am sure he would be open to many things. However, we would like to have a few days at whatever the destination is to explore, especially if it's Bermuda.

Your info above tells me that your father would very likely enjoy a cruise to Bermuda. And the itinerary would provide a few days on Bermuda to relax and explore. Beginning in May, I would recommend Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, one of the smaller mainstream ships still around. She offers a 5 nt. from Cape Liberty, NJ as well as a 7 nt. departing from Baltimore. Grandeur is a beautiful ship with a wonderful staff and crew.

Also consider Celebrity's Summit from Cape Liberty, sailing 7 or 9 nt. itineraries to Bermuda. HAL would also be good, if you prefer to cruise from Boston.

As mentioned, be sure to obtain good insurance coverage. You can check insuremytrip.com to compare policies. I am wishing you and your family all the best for a memorable cruise.

I'm sorry you are facing a bittersweet vacation. All cruise lines spend but a few hours in port. It's not possible to spend a few days any one place.

Simply not true.

There are a number of lines that do overnights, and even 2 and three night stays in certain ports. These are generally NOT the mass market lines, but rather the upscale and luxury lines.

Bermuda is one location where some lines will spend several days.

I'm obviously partial to Bermuda so that's my vote especially in light of the fact that your father has fond memories from there.

The posters who suggested flying to Florida to start a cruise are "missing the boat" on this one. I'm sure you want to make it as easy as possible on your father and given the fact that most all of you are on the East Coast make it a no brainer to leave from a home port.

As others have said, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL and HAL all have cruises from one of the East Coast ports. We've sailed three lines to Bermuda with the exception of HAL and not one of them was a bad cruise. One thing I will say is, Bermuda will not be too warm in April and no self-respecting Bermudian gets in the water until May 24. If you want water activities and warmer water, take that into consideration unless, of course, you're used to colder water.

I could be wrong but, I think NCL gives you the most time on the island. It really is a relaxing cruise to get there and not have to be back to the ship everyday to head to a new place.

I will also echo another poster in saying that Bermuda is very easy to get around and do most things on your own without the added expense of excursions. Go to the Bermuda Ports of Call board and read about all the things you can do. With one of the easily obtainable maps, that can even be downloaded ahead of time, and a transportation pass and you are good to go.

Good luck with your planning and wishing your father and family a wonderful cruise.

I am a cruiser with cancer and would like to respond from that perspective. I was diagnosed with Stage IV Kidney Cancer at the beginning of 2009 and given a 6-18 month prognosis. In that time, after surgery to remove the primary tumor and other cancerous tissue (I still have mets to the Liver and Lungs)' I have been treated at Dana Farber in Boston. I am not in remission, but the Cancer is held in check with treatments, most of them new in the last 5-8 years.

I have taken a number of cruises and have enjoyed them even when dealing with the side effects of treatment and the effects of the cancer itself. One of my more challenging issues on cruises is nausea and appetite loss. On my last cruise, a partial transit of the Panama Canal ending December 12, I was particularly bothered by these factors and lost ten pounds. I had never been bothered by sea sickness before cancer but the boat's motion apparently increases the nausea etc. I generally experience on land. So, you will want to consider what symptoms or medication side effects your father experiences that could be harder to deal with on a ship, either because the ship's motion aggravates them or they are just harder to deal with in the confines of a ship.

As far as destinations go, Bermuda is great, especially if it brings back fond memories for your Dad. However, unless yor Dad is intent on a cruise, you may want to consider flying into Bermuda and staying in one of the great seaside hotels/resorts. I particularly like the Pompano Beach Club, but check through Trip Advisor to find the right spot for your family. It is a short hop from Boston and then you spend all your time at the spot you pick where your father can relax watching the family play on the beach or at the pool. The rooms on land are most likely to provide you more space than on a cruise ship. That may be helpful particularly if you father ends up having to spend more time in the room.

I strongly recommend trip insurance. Check around with various insurers, some of which will provide a certain level of coverage for pre-existing illnesses, with certain conditions such as the illness did not prevent travel at the time the trip was planned and insurance purchased, but the coverage has to be purchase within a short time of when the reservations are made. Some insurers will require an added payment for pre existing coverage. I have used Travel Guard, but shop around.

I also strongly recommend a letter from your Dad's doctor. I take a letter every trip, land or sea. The letter states that the doctor is treating me for Stage IV Kidney Cancer, states the side effects etc. that most impact me and identifies my medications Rx and over the counter. Because of the amount of medicatios, the doctor refers to an attached list. The letter also states that there is nothing in my condition that prevents me from traveling. In addition, the letter states that should any emergency arise I should be stabilized and transported to Dana Farber/Brigham and Women's as soon as possible. You can check with your doctor to see if that is required or preferred for your Dad. This possibility is one of the reasons why trip insurance that covers his pre existing conditions is so important to ensure the costly transport back to the States is covered.

Whether you cruise or fly, going to Bermuda provides an opportunity for your family to create and share a great memory. Even with the challenges of traveling with cancer you will have a great time knowing you are fulfilling one of your father's wishes. I have had the opportunity to complete a number of trips since being diagnosed. I always remember how great the trips have been and rarely remember any of the challenges. Enjoy this time with your family and your Dad.

Simply not true.

There are a number of lines that do overnights, and even 2 and three night stays in certain ports. These are generally NOT the mass market lines, but rather the upscale and luxury lines.

Bermuda is one location where some lines will spend several days.

Technically true but the OP specifically stated that he wanted to save money so that will automatically rule out the upscale lines.

Bermuda cruises generally spend several days in one port.

Thanks! My understanding is that Bermuda cruises spend three days there, which should be enough. I, erm, don't fly, so leaving from bmore/boston/ny/nj is ideal.

I will definitely make sure he has official medical permission to go. more looking for specific suggestions on what kinds of cruises we might enjoy. my mom likes swimming and resting, movies, and talking sometimes to people...my dad tolerate the pool, loves war movies, really loves books, chess, etc. My sister and I will be happy no matter what, if there's a pool and places to read ;) but ight now i am in the info gathering stage.

I'm obviously partial to Bermuda so that's my vote especially in light of the fact that your father has fond memories from there.

The posters who suggested flying to Florida to start a cruise are "missing the boat" on this one. I'm sure you want to make it as easy as possible on your father and given the fact that most all of you are on the East Coast make it a no brainer to leave from a home port.

As others have said, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL and HAL all have cruises from one of the East Coast ports. We've sailed three lines to Bermuda with the exception of HAL and not one of them was a bad cruise. One thing I will say is, Bermuda will not be too warm in April and no self-respecting Bermudian gets in the water until May 24. If you want water activities and warmer water, take that into consideration unless, of course, you're used to colder water.

I could be wrong but, I think NCL gives you the most time on the island. It really is a relaxing cruise to get there and not have to be back to the ship everyday to head to a new place.

I will also echo another poster in saying that Bermuda is very easy to get around and do most things on your own without the added expense of excursions. Go to the Bermuda Ports of Call board and read about all the things you can do. With one of the easily obtainable maps, that can even be downloaded ahead of time, and a transportation pass and you are good to go.

Good luck with your planning and wishing your father and family a wonderful cruise.

THANK YOU! I think you are right that NCL (that's thhe scandiavian one right) seems to do a day up and back and three days on the island. but we can get around from wharf to various attractions?

Before you book make sure everyone has the porper documentation. BC/ID or Passports. I'd strongly recommend passports JIC you need to get home in a hurry.

I don't know what a single of those acrynoms mean ;0

Translation:

BC/ID =birth certificate/identification

JIC = just in case

I hope your father, along with his family, can make this voyage of memories.

Should you be able to go, and want to go to Bermuda, Holland America's Veendam out of Boston docks right in downtown Hamilton. That is a great advantage over the dockyard when you want to tour.

One thing that you should do is to be up front with the cruise company with the issues that your father has. You do not want to take the chance that he and the rest of the party will be denied boarding when you get to the ship.

You guys are doing a wonderful thing for your father. I am sure that he is proud of you.

DON