Two dogs in a stroller on Sillouette

jayoldschool

Fleckle,

I think the emotional support in the article was saving $300.00 :D

Sapphire,

the OP was not talking about a service dog for a blind person. Those dogs are well trained they are working, not carted around in stroller, and sit quietly until their owner moves.

Come on, the OP was talking about two small dogs in a stroller.

What service were they providing in the MDR? My fruit soup course always gives me the emotional support I need to have a wonderufl dinner.;)

BTW did you read the aritlce Fleckle linked?

Good Read.

Yes, I realize that the OP was not referring to a service dog for a blind person, but your statement was that emotional support dogs and service dogs do not belong in the MDR at all. Service dogs include ones used for the blind.

I've seen emotional support dogs be extremely helpful for those with PTSD who might not otherwise be able to sit normally for a meal in public with other people. As long as a dog is well behaved and not in my way, I have no problem with any animal Celebrity deems worthy of being aboard. I don't feel like other passengers need to justify their level of disability to me in order to meet my approval. Perhaps there are occasionally dogs on board who the owners sneakily found a loophole to bring their pet with them. I know a lot of people who really love their dogs, but no one I know has used that as a reason to claim to have a disability they don't have. However, I am not people's god, judge, or doctor, so I don't see how it's my place to determine whether strangers are "faking it" or not.

Do you not see them in restaurants and other public places where people eat and drink where you live?In most cities, at least in the USA, they are commonly with their owners in restaurants, at malls, parks, theaters, hotels, bars, cafes, grocery stores, sporting events, schools, gyms, churches, airports, riding public transportation, in fact just about everywhere. When people are eating and drinking, the service dogs are usually inconspicuously under the table, or lying quietly at the owner's feet in theaters or on airplanes, trains or buses so someone may be unaware that they are even there.

Yes, so true. Such a shame that some dog loving scammers can't leave their poochy at home whilst cruising. Makes it all the harder for the truly disabled.

Emotional support or serivce dogs do not belong in the MDR at all.

If they need these dogs whlie they eat or drink , then eat and drink in your cabin with the dogs.

OMG, if I saw them in any dining venue I would be aghast.

Well then you'd better stay away from Europe - you'd be sharing space with pets in cafes and restaurants everywhere.

I'm wondering if Celebrity allows penthouse guests to have small pets on board because twice I've seen little pooches from our aft balcony on M class ships.

ruthk,

I have done many trips to Europe. Love the cats on Greek islands and Turkey at outdoor cafes.

The MDR on a cruise ship is totally different.

And those cats on Mykonos or in Istanbul do not come in strollers.:)

Edited by Azulann

I have no problem with a legitimate service dog (or emotional support dog) that is well trained. On the other hand, I don't think untrained service animals should be allowed in food venues. On the Equinox transatlantic last April I (and several others) witnessed an emotional support dog take a dump in the Oceanview Cafe while her owner did nothing. Not even clean it up. That's where I tend to draw the line.

Tony

Come on people. Have you even considered that the dogs might actually be the guests and they were accompanied by their service humans?

The world is changing. Get with the program.

I need my wife for emotional support (what husband doesn't? ;)). Can I bring her onboard with me for free? I'd be willing to push her around in a buggy, supply her with food, and clean up after her messes.

On a side note, are there dogs that can sense when a slot machine is about to pay out? If so, sign me up!

Bona fide support dogs yes but this is ridiculous these 2 dogs in a stroller. If someone smokes in a cabin they are charged something like $200 for cleaning. Owner of a Dog taking a dump should be charged the same. Proper Service Dogs are toilet trained. I dont like leaving my Magpie Bird and I really would like it with me to talk to in times of stress, can he come aboard?

Legitimate service dogs are wonderful and welcome at the resort I manage. The abuse of this law is AMAZING. For approximately $100 ANYONE can buy a certificate on line that calls their animal a "service animal." Resorts/cruiselines and other businesses are caught with the "threat" of a lawsuit based on the American Disabilities Act if they do not allow the animals into their businesses. There are only two questions you can, as a business, ask:

1) Is the animal required because of a disability?

2)What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

for more information on this issue:

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Abuse of this law is rampant in the hospitality industry, 2 yorkies in a stroller, I would bet do not qualify under the law....I might be persuaded if it was one but two...nope not buying it.....

And, before I am condemned as an animal hater, I have 4 pets at home who offer great emotional support. However when I am on a cruise they stay home.

I was once at a Sweet Tomatoes in Kissimmee when a lady came in pushing her dog in a stroller. She then removed the chair at the table, pushed him in, got out his bowl of dog food and set it on the table for him.

I love my dogs more than words can express, but I think things are getting a bit out of hand in this case.

Edited by sprockie

I need my wife for emotional support (what husband doesn't? ;)). Can I bring her onboard with me for free? I'd be willing to push her around in a buggy, supply her with food, and clean up after her messes.

On a side note, are there dogs that can sense when a slot machine is about to pay out? If so, sign me up!

My chuckle for the day...thanks.

Edited by misha1

Legitimate service dogs are wonderful and welcome at the resort I manage. The abuse of this law is AMAZING. For approximately $100 ANYONE can buy a certificate on line that calls their animal a "service animal." Resorts/cruiselines and other businesses are caught with the "threat" of a lawsuit based on the American Disabilities Act if they do not allow the animals into their businesses. There are only two questions you can, as a business, ask:

1) Is the animal required because of a disability?

2)What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

for more information on this issue:

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Abuse of this law is rampant in the hospitality industry, 2 yorkies in a stroller, I would bet do not qualify under the law....I might be persuaded if it was one but two...nope not buying it.....

And, before I am condemned as an animal hater, I have 4 pets at home who offer great emotional support. However when I am on a cruise they stay home.

Of course American laws are only applicable if the Vessel is registered in the USA or in its territorial waters.

I have the highest respect for service dogs and the jobs they do for their owners and I have total disdain for posers who can't leave spot at home and lie about having a disability.

NLH Arizona, we often are on different sides of an issue on these boards. But this time I 100% agree with you. It's a shame when people abuse these policies as it can only hurt those with true needs, and shows a total lack of respect. And yet people do it all the time. A niece of mine, an otherwise wonderful person, used to claim her dog as a service dog so she could fly with her without paying a fee she felt she couldn't afford. That is just wrong.

Edited by phoenix_dream

It looks fairly easy to register and certify a dog. My question is does the cruise line charge for the animal like the airlines do.

http://usdogregistry.org/registration/register-emotional-support-dog/?gclid=COm9nYq-hMMCFSRo7AodTCAAfQ

Airlines don't charge for service dogs, cruise lines follow the ADA so probably don't....

NLH Arizona, we often are on different sides of an issue on these boards. But this time I 100% agree with you. It's a shame when people abuse these policies as it can only hurt those with true needs, and shows a total lack of respect. And yet people do it all the time. A niece of mine, an otherwise wonderful person, used to claim her dog as a service dog so she could fly with her without paying a fee she felt she couldn't afford. That is just wrong.

I'm going to guess that the true number of people needing "emotional support" is pretty low - and the fakers and liars just ruin it for true service dogs and their owners. We can all do something and that is not only refuse to sit at a table with these people and their pets, refuse to sit next to them at any venue and also to complain to Celebrity.

Just another "life is all about what I want" scam. Now to set back and watch all the P.C. Police cry about how unfair we are being to those with emotional problems. Ugh. Sorry but if your emotional problems are THAT bad - home is probably where you need to be. I have no problem with true service dogs - but you won't see those riding in a stroller, leaving a pile, or sitting any place in the dining room but under the table.

Edited by Jane2357

There is a woman named Roz who posted on a past thread here who seems extremely well versed in the laws about service dogs. She apparently has a service dog and has traveled quite a bit with him including many cruises and posts on other threads here on Cruise Critic.

Here is a link to a post she made on a recent thread in this forum where she discusses some of the differences between service dogs, emotional support dogs (which apparently have different legal descriptions) and some of the differences in their owner's rights - including rights in dining areas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44245413

I've been waiting to see if someone else would bring this up, but it looks like I'm the one to get the honour. We were on the Christmas sailing of Silhouette. Great time, no major concerns. I was taken aback, however, as we were joined by two dogs at all venues. A pair of teacup Yorkies, pushed in a stroller by their "mother" or her son. Cafe Al Bacio, Martini Bar, and yes, the MDR on formal night. The dogs had special outfits for formal night. Our asst waiter did a double take, and said, "I think I just saw two dogs in the dining room!"

I put my comments on my survey.

Did anyone else notice them? If you weren't there... would dogs in a stroller impact your "Modern Luxury" cruising experience?

I'm a big dog lover myself, had one my whole life, but if I came accross the situation I read about regarding this eccentric couple with a pair of Yorkies on my cruise, the dogs would have a long swim home. That is so selfish of this couple and demeans the true purpose of service dogs.

There is a woman named Roz who posted on a past thread here who seems extremely well versed in the laws about service dogs. She apparently has a service dog and has traveled quite a bit with him including many cruises and posts on other threads here on Cruise Critic.

Here is a link to a post she made on a recent thread in this forum where she discusses some of the differences between service dogs, emotional support dogs (which apparently have different legal descriptions) and some of the differences in their owner's rights - including rights in dining areas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44245413

Thank you for sharing! :)

Of course American laws are only applicable if the Vessel is registered in the USA or in its territorial waters.

True enough.....but since the fine print in your cruise documents state that any legal action will be heard in a Miami-Dade FLORIDA courtroom I suspect the cruiseline(at least X & Royal) tend to pay attention to US laws........

I'm a big dog lover myself, had one my whole life, but if I came accross the situation I read about regarding this eccentric couple with a pair of Yorkies on my cruise, the dogs would have a long swim home. That is so selfish of this couple and demeans the true purpose of service dogs.

Why punish the dogs? The owner needs to swim home.

Edited by Iamcruzin