"Cabin fever" on 15-day cruise?

BearlyRob

This may seem like a random question, but has anyone experienced "cabin fever" or general restlessness/boredom/frustration on longer cruises?

I am thinking of taking a 15-day cruise from LA to Hawaii on the Grand Princess in February (last minute vacation), but I've never taken a cruise this long before. I've only been on week-long cruises before, and by the end of them, I was always very ready to be home. And I could only get an interior cabin, so that adds to the potential feeling of confinement.

Does anyone else ever get tired of the small cabins, the food options, the entertainment, etc., on longer cruises? Or is it just me? :) I am hoping that having so many days at sea going to and from Hawaii - and seeing the islands themselves - will help me overcome my cabin fever.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

I'm probably not the best person to answer as I'm never bored on a cruise. I spend almost no time in my cabin other than to shower and sleep.

The menus change nightly on a longer cruise although some individual items may be repeated. There is far more entertainment and activities than on a 7-day cruise. Elua will be on our cruise with daily Hawaiian-related activities and entertainment in addition to the regular activities.

I say, "Go for it!" and if you're thinking of the 2/17 cruise, look forward to meeting you. We've got a small but very nice roll call.

Tough question. The fact you said you are ready to go home after 1 week seems to tell me you may not be ready for this type of trip. I can no longer take a one week cruise because I find them too short!

That being said, if you did do the cruise, doing it on a larger ship is a good idea. I wouldn't recommend to you the Pacific or Ocean Princess for a longer cruise. Do you enjoy sea days? What have you done in the past on sea days? There are a lot of them for this cruise. If you don't like sea days, I'd say don't do this. If you do, then go for it.

My husband and I took two 15-day cruises last year from San Francisco to Hawaii. That's how much we enjoyed it. I never get bored on ships. We are real nature enthusiasts so we spend much of our days outside on deck watching for sea life. I wish I had a dollar for the times I heard, "What are you looking for...I don't see anything," and they go back inside. A little patience (and there's plenty of time) there is a whole world right in front of you. Bring a pair of good binoculars and you won't be disappointed.

We enjoy reading, going to the gym, people watching, going to the lectures, and they're all things that get you out of your cabin.

BTW, February is a great month for Hawaii as there are always LOTS of whales, especially in Maui.

Tough question. The fact you said you are ready to go home after 1 week seems to tell me you may not be ready for this type of trip. I can no longer take a one week cruise because I find them too short!

That being said, if you did do the cruise, doing it on a larger ship is a good idea. I wouldn't recommend to you the Pacific or Ocean Princess for a longer cruise. Do you enjoy sea days? What have you done in the past on sea days? There are a lot of them for this cruise. If you don't like sea days, I'd say don't do this. If you do, then go for it.

Love.II.Cruise - Is the Grand Princess considered a larger ship (compared to the Pacific or Ocean Princess ships you mentioned)?

I do love sea days, and spend most of the time in my Speedo out on deck, or tucked away somewhere writing. That's the appeal of the longer cruise - having a longer writing getaway while also getting enough deck time and having great destinations.

Thanks for the input!

The only time I had a problem with cabin fever was on a 28 day LA to Tahiti to LA. That cruise had like 8 or 9 straight sea days. I was OK for first 6 to 7 sea days. But the last few days I was ready to get off the ship. To make matters worse we were in the middle of the Pacific and out of satellite communication so no news. Other than that I never had cabin fever.

The Hawaii cruise with four sea day over and four days back was no problem for myself and my wife. The Golden had all kinds of activities, many Hawaii themed. I just took a couple of books. But others played bingo, trivia, learned to play the uke etc, etc. etc.

The only problem I had on that Hawaii cruise was that I almost jumped over board not because of cabin fever but because they kept playing Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho over and over and over.

We have only been on one cruise ever, but it was the same one you are heading on - The Grand to Hawaii - back in October.

For us - no boredom at all on the way out - everything was exciting and new. We didn't really participate in the trivia or in the Hawaiian cultural program other than to attend a few port lectures (which were good). Movies were a big part of our agenda, along with eating and pools and hot tubs and reading. The evening shows and magicians etc were all good.

Once the warm weather hit - it was all gravy. Lounging on the deck, reading and sunning. Just watching the sea pass by was captivating. Walking the promenade. All good. - Oh yes - and ice cream!

On the way back, as the warm weather was slowly overtaken by colder weather, and the seas got a little rough, we did feel a little "cooped up" and felt like it was time for the cruise to end, but hey - we would do the same trip over again no questions, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Don and Allison

I am getting ready for my third trip to Hawaii (by cruise ship). Once in an interior cabin. One of my favorite voyages. You will dictate how involved or "bored" you are. I do this rather than the NCL around the island trip. Absolutely love the sea days.

When we took a 24-day cruise two years ago were concerned about boredom/restlessness, just like you. We also enjoy sea days, and it's hard in today's world to become truly "unplugged." Those sea days really do force you to relax completely.

We've also found people tend to be more social on longer cruises, making it easier to get to know other people. We've made friends aboard longer cruises we are still in communication with, years later.

Whatever you decide, keep enjoying cruising!

Edited by TKS
typos

I just got back from a 15 day Hawaiian cruise(Dec. 19 to Jan 3rd) on the star Princess. First I NEVER got bored. This is especially true of a Hawaiian cruise. That is because this cruise is all about Hawaii with Hawaiian music, Lei making classes, Hula and ukulele classes, plus several lectures on Hawaii. If you go on the Grand Princess in February you will have David Cole as your cruise director and Eula and a entertainer.. Those are two of the very best and always a joy to sail with them. I truly think it is not possible to get cabin fever on this cruise.

Love.II.Cruise - Is the Grand Princess considered a larger ship (compared to the Pacific or Ocean Princess ships you mentioned)?

Love.II.Cruise has not been back to answer your question so ... Yes, the Grand Princess is a about four times the tonnage of the PP and OP and carries that many more passengers as well.

I do disagree with the premise that longer cruises are more difficult on the smaller vessels. We spent sixty one days in a row onboard the Ocean Princess last year. Toward the end of the cruise we booked the same cabin on the same ship for next year.

While we developed as cruising fans, we did experience a couple of 14 to 17 day voyages where we were ready to get off the ship at the end of the journey. Looking back, I think that it had more to do with the cruise line than the voyage itself. We haven't been back to that line (not saying anything bad, just personal preference) and since then our voyages get longer and longer without any trouble.

Bored! What is that? First 2 cruises were 7 days cruises. Then just like you, a last minute offer for 14 Day Hawaii! Jumped at it! Later another 7 day and now we are scheduled for a 28 Day cruise! ;)

DW & I have never been bored while on any vacation and hope that we never will be! :eek:

After all it is a vacation! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We have found that the CD schedules a variety of events on the longer cruises. We have done several 30+ day cruise across the Indian Ocean. Each had a string of 6 sea days, plus a number of others. We were never boarded. This is a place where the Roll Call is helpful. You already know people when you board.

Unfortunately David Cole isn't our CD in February. Good news is Eluawill be on board.

I have felt two weeks was a bit long both on an Alaska cruise and a Caribbean cruise. Never on a hawaiian cruise. So many activities! I also enjoy reading while watching the ocean roll by, but I never have time for much of that!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We won't do anything less than 10 days. Our next cruise is 15 day Europe/Transatlantic that has 6 straight sea days at the end.

Getting board means you are not relaxing enough. It is impossible to get board when truly relaxing. I bring my kindle, loaded with books, on my cruises. To date, I can count the number of hours I spent reading two hands....maybe 8 hours out of 42 days cruising-and that's not due to lack of trying!

We always book inside rooms and, like Pam, spend little time in them. Get to about the ship. Meet people. Just sit and listen to the music. watch a movie, play bingo...even take a nap....etc.etc.etc.

We have been so busy doing stuff that in 42 days of cruising, I have only been in the pools twice!

So enjoy!

We took the 28 day South Pacific voyage which included 19 sea days including the 8 straight days at sea from Tahiti to L.A. We never felt bored, always stayed active, but that's us. We have also been on many cruises from 20 to 31 days with similar results. Have done the 15 night Hawaii and are booked next month for another 15 nighter attached to a 10 night Mexico & 7 night Coastal. You get into a cruise rhythm and the world off the ship is only a passing thought.

Warning, 15 days which includes 9 full sea days can be an issue for the waistline.

I think that you will find that most that post will be very happy no matter how short or long the cruise. Those that get bored easily, find that cabins are too confining and tire easily of the food on board are no longer cruising. I have a friend who only cruised once to the Caribbean for 7 days and hated it. I think in some respects you either love it and get hooked or hate it.

When I was young, my Dad told me that only boring people get bored and that seems to be true. There is so much fun stuff to do in life, and especially on cruises where you never have to do any work.

You can, read, watch goofy chick flicks on TV (which we love to do), meet people, work out, take dance classes, lei making classes, ukulele classes, or hula classes, go to shows, lectures and demonstrations, watch movies, swim, walk the decks, play bingo, listen to music, play bridge, dance, play ping pong or shuffleboard, join a trivia group, play Bingo. Watch Movies Under the Stars and eat pizza. Princess has the best pizza ever.

One way to meet a lot of people is to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room and always ask for a table for eight, especially if you have anytime dining. I am not a big foodie, Praise the Lord, but I do like to meet new people.

You could also gamble or go to art auctions, or hang out in a bar, which we never do, but they are available options for those who enjoy those activities.

Another of my favorite ship activities is taking naps. I love sea naps with my balcony doors open. You can flame me for leaving my door open if you want, but I don't care, I just love listening to the ocean. :p

The only time I was ready to leave the ship before a long cruise ended was on a Panama Canal cruise on Azamara Journey. There were several reasons, including the fact that we didn't make plans for most of the ports. (I'm normally compulsive about it, but DH didn't want to have a lot to do, so I gave in. That was the last time.:)) But the ship was in a bit of turmoil, too, so the onboard experience wasn't what it could have been. Otherwise I enjoy cruises of up to 14-15 days. I'm ready to go home, but more because I miss the dogs and cats, not because I've gotten bored.

We have done several one way trips from Hawaii to Vancouver and the five sea days have gone by in the blink of an eye. We get up, have breakfast, walk a few miles, have lunch, nap, read, get ready for dinner, go dancing, have a few drinks, have dinner, maybe catch a show and go to bed. Repeat with a few variations the next day.

I don't think that I would fully enjoy the Hawaii R/T because I love Hawaii and 4 days there out of 15 wouldn't be enough for me, so I'd spend the return trip pining. But that's a bit of a different topic.

With the longer cruises we treat the experience like we are at the cottage. You certainly don't have to be totally entertained for every moment. Simply pick and choose what you enjoy doing and relaxing is high on the list. One big plus with the longer cruises is generally speaking you are travelling with far more seasoned passengers who seem to understand how the buffet works, know that people getting off the elevator get off before more people get on, aren't trying to jam as much activity as they can into a week as possible , less children and are creative in avoiding lineups. Anyone who tries a 7 day cruise and decides they don't like it should really consider a longer one before passing judgement. The longer ones are a different experience.