problems with Prinsendam

SeaBands

huh??? I just got off the ship three months ago. there is nothing wrong with posting a review.

You can certainly do them on the guides/hotels at least 6 months after.

Saying I should do it and saying I have time are two different things.

after the fact? how the heck do you do a review before the fact? you can't do a review until you get off the ship.

Glad you are going on something you like. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea if it's the ship I think it is - so each to their own as I already clearly said.

A bit of education - a smaller ship commands a higher price as you still need a certain amount of crew to run it and only so many passengers are on it to contribute. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's true.

Prinsendam was built by a luxury line, not Holland America. Because of that, things like windows that get broken have to be specially ordered and take time to get to the ship.

You sail on your ships and I will sail on mine. As long as we are both happy that's the main thing. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. You have to read them to digest if the people are overly negative or overly positive.

In all honesty, this was probably the wrong ship for your first HAL cruise. I suspect you should have gone N Amsterdam or Eurodam. Prisendam has a niche clientele. She's not a typical HAL ship.

Have a great cruise:D

I did not mean to offend you in any way or make you defensive. For your information we are three star Mariners. We are not newbies on HAL.

I did not mean to offend you in any way or make you defensive. For your information we are three star Mariners. We are not newbies on HAL.

thank you. no worries.

Edited by kazu

Sorry for opening up a can of worms, but I feel I owe it to those readers here who are considering Prinsendam. I knew nothing of the ship when I first saw it on a list of "best of" in Conde Nast Traveler. Immediately, I went to the reviews here and on another site (which may not be in existance anymore). I am so glad I paid no attention to the reviews. I am one to "read between the lines". It was quite apparent those reviewers had "issues" and I would deem them non credible. We have always been clear here that Prinsendam is not for everyone. But, the complaints I've read here (except for the condition of some cabins and perhaps some plumbing/air con issues are just untrue, no matter how you skew it. Some of us are willing to pay for the Prinsendam experience. But, to say the food and service are not good, including the condition of the public rooms is just not true. And, if people post untruths, I will always speak up with the truth. Just because certain people see things negatively doesn't mean they are accurate. I go with the posters here who love P and will pay the premium to sail her. And, the highest repeat passenger rate is not something you can discredit. The truth is the truth. If one person doesn't like something ,it doesn't mean they are right, and everyone else is wrong. It means they don't appreciate P for what she is and that's OK. Just don't make up untruths, because I will be here!! I am not intending for this to be a post for Walt to remove. I just want the truth to be known!

I tend to agree with you, LindaM, about sailing on the Prinsendam. I found it a great experience both times I was on her, even though I had problems the first time.

On my first Prinsendam cruise I was in the one inside single in the fleet. That cabin was so hot that I could not sleep at night, even with all the covers thrown off. I even had to put the ice bucket in the fridge to keep the melted ice cool enough to stand swallowing when I drank it. Nothing was done about the A/C in there over the course of a long cruise, even though I complained daily.

Even with that, the cruise was otherwise wonderful! The public areas were gorgeous, the food better than I found on the other HAL ships (and much, much better than I found on Oceania), and the service excellent. It was as I remember on all the HAL ships years ago.

The second Prinsendam cruise, again a long cruise, was better---my HVAC worked! :) The public areas, food, and service were still excellent. Everyone knows your name from the first day. Little details are tended to, and service was warm and prompt.

Sailing the Prinsendam is just a lovely experience.

I understand what you are saying Ruth. Even though things happened, as they sometimes do, you have to look at the big picture.

I just thought of something....I have never written a review of a cruise, BUT....I do write reviews for our sister site---Tripadvisor. I have written only ONE good review, and that was for the Waldorf in Chicago. I couldn't help but gush about it. I have written all negative reviews for hotels and some restaurants. When I'm disappointed with a hotel, I want the world to know about it!! Especially if we have paid big bucks for it. That is how I see the negative reviews here. People aren't going to take the time to review, unless they are really upset about something or over the top excited. That is why I don't pay attention to reviews. Now...I do keep up with the people who post here and their opinions. I know which people to trust, and which to ignore. You know we trust you!

Sorry for opening up a can of worms, but I feel I owe it to those readers here who are considering Prinsendam. I knew nothing of the ship when I first saw it on a list of "best of" in Conde Nast Traveler. Immediately, I went to the reviews here and on another site (which may not be in existance anymore). I am so glad I paid no attention to the reviews. I am one to "read between the lines". It was quite apparent those reviewers had "issues" and I would deem them non credible. We have always been clear here that Prinsendam is not for everyone. But, the complaints I've read here (except for the condition of some cabins and perhaps some plumbing/air con issues are just untrue, no matter how you skew it. Some of us are willing to pay for the Prinsendam experience. But, to say the food and service are not good, including the condition of the public rooms is just not true. And, if people post untruths, I will always speak up with the truth. Just because certain people see things negatively doesn't mean they are accurate. I go with the posters here who love P and will pay the premium to sail her. And, the highest repeat passenger rate is not something you can discredit. The truth is the truth. If one person doesn't like something ,it doesn't mean they are right, and everyone else is wrong. It means they don't appreciate P for what she is and that's OK. Just don't make up untruths, because I will be here!! I am not intending for this to be a post for Walt to remove. I just want the truth to be known!

Fair enough but I will continue to post that I was underwhelmed by the Prinsendam experience. I'm not sure why some feel so defensive about an inanimate object like a cruise ship. I have never blasted the ship. I will continue to point out the cruise critic member review rating which is consistently in the bottom two or three for the fleet so obviously a significant cross section of reviewers agree with me.

I pay top dollar for premium experiences in venues all over the world, restaurants, hotels, organized tours, travel guides and cruise ships. I have experience to make a judgement.

Edited by sammiedawg

Fair enough but I will continue to post that I was underwhelmed by the Prinsendam experience.

And yet you sing the praises of Oceania---something I will never understand.

Guess it just comes down to different people have different priorities in a cruise. I want good entertainment, food and service offered on a pretty, comfortable ship.

And yet you sing the praises of Oceania---something I will never understand.

Guess it just comes down to different people have different priorities in a cruise. I want good entertainment, food and service offered on a pretty, comfortable ship.

maygrovecruisers who was on our 2013 cruise rated the Prinsendam above Azamara & just a hair lower than Oceania. (and I do mean a hair) I was quite surprised as they had only sailed premium or luxury lines. I actually did not think the comparison would be that good since HAL is more mass market.

We'll see how the two compare when we board Oceania in November. It should be very interesting indeed.

Edited by kazu

We have cruised on the Prinsendam (for over 150 days) and have also cruised on Azamara (and 12 other cruise lines). Several times in the past, we have posted that we think the Prinsendam is just one of those "love it or hate it" kind of ships. She is old, has many issues, is not loaded with the amenities found on many newer ships, etc. But there are many of us who love that ole ship...perhaps because she is somewhat of a throwback to ships of the past. However, when compared to Azamara there is just no way we can rate the Prinsendam (or any other HAL ship) as a better line. Perhaps at one time the lines might have been comparable, but with the various cut-backs on HAL (especially in cuisine and entertainment) we would rate Azamara a significant step-up from HAL.

We look forward to some up-to-date comparisons of HAL vs Oceania since "O" is one of the few lines we have never cruised....and it could be in our near future.

Hank

My first time with Holland America will be in May, on the Ryndam, 21 days back to back through the Norwegian Fjords.

The per diem rate for solo occupancy of a mid-ship Ocean View Stateroom is $185.

Given that sort of pricing it would be extremely unrealistic to expect a premium or 5* cruise experience.

If I want those standards I would not consider a suite on a HAL ship, but an entry level stateroom, which may well be larger, on a true 5* line.

It seems to me that reviews are not very useful if one doesn't have a good idea of the reviewer's tastes and expectations.

Some people cruise primarily to spend time in their cabin and on their balcony; comfort is important to them, ports tend to be secondary.

Some cruise mostly for the ports and look for itineraries with very little "down time."

Some people want to feel they are sailing on a ship with very up-to-date modern design in the cabins and public spaces; their favorite ships tend to be the newest ones.

Some like smaller -- and usually older -- ships that remind them of cruising as it used to be. They are willing to forgive a few faults in décor or the occasional (as long as it remains occasional) problem with ship systems like A/C or plumbing.

Some people prize food that is simple but well-prepared, while others like to feel they have a range of choices that reflect recent trends toward food that is a fusion of different cuisines and is very flavorful (or "spicy and exotic" to some...).

There's no real right or wrong on these issues. On the other hand, some things should be a red light. Clearly if a ship is having numerous documented issues with A/C or plumbing, no one will think that's a good thing. And there is a difference between someone not liking some particular dishes aboard ship due to their own palate, and being served food that is improperly cooked, served cold, or otherwise faulty.

The latter are the sorts of things I look for in reviews. As to the former, I can do my own research, try to figure out if other posters/reviewers seem to come from a similar viewpoint, and then make a decision as to whether a ship would be a good fit for me.

when we set sail and went to the shops to buy cigarettes. They didn't have the type of Marlboros we usually buy on board. She said "then we should have taken a different ship". We immediately reported this rudeness to the front desk. We also asked if they could break one of the 5 carton packages and refusedl

Also at the Pinnaclethere was a $20 surcharge for King crab legs. The size and portion was very small. Later in the cruise they were offered in the dining room on a formal night and then were set our on the Lido the next day along with the large shrimp that the serve in the Pinnacle.

Paying more for that ship wasn't worth it. Also we were looking forward to visiting some smaller islands and most were a disappointment except for Bequia.

Reviews. I have read some many that where all over the board. People on the same ship on the same cruise rate it from 5 star, to never again. We too have cruised on the Prinsendam on three different cruises, never had a problem where and are happy. On our last cruise friends did have AC problems that where never fixed for the two weeks they where on the ship. They where offered another cabin, put didn't take it, they said they could live with out the AC. And there was another cabin on our deck with plumbing problems that the crew was working on for a couple of days trying to sort out what ever was wrong. If the itinerary was what we wanted we would sail on the Prinsendam again.

Allan & Marlane

when we set sail and went to the shops to buy cigarettes. They didn't have the type of Marlboros we usually buy on board. She said "then we should have taken a different ship". We immediately reported this rudeness to the front desk. We also asked if they could break one of the 5 carton packages and refusedl

Also at the Pinnaclethere was a $20 surcharge for King crab legs. The size and portion was very small. Later in the cruise they were offered in the dining room on a formal night and then were set our on the Lido the next day along with the large shrimp that the serve in the Pinnacle.

Paying more for that ship wasn't worth it. Also we were looking forward to visiting some smaller islands and most were a disappointment except for Bequia.

the $20 surcharge for the Crab Legs in the PG are standard on all the ships.

The thing is with the P'dam is that they serve some of this stuff in the MDR or Lido which the others don't always do, so as you have noted, it's not always necessary to do the crab legs on this ship (especially on longer cruises) as it can be on others if you want them.

sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the itinerary.

We have sailed the Prinsedam several times with 175 days aboard her due to her unique itineraries and we love the size. Yes she is old, dated, getting a bit worn, her cabins seem to be a bit smaller and continue to have plumbing and AC issues but she sails better than any ship we have been on due to her unique design. Nothing can beat the HAL service especially on their smaller ships where everyone knows your name, likes and dislikes. It was a bit embarrassing when she lost her thrusters and we had to be towed into port to make the turn to the docking area while a big new ship had passengers lining the deck watching and waving - and of course asking about it when we ran into their passengers on shore but what the heck, it was a unique experience. We are also getting to be old, dated and a bit worn so we will keep sailing on the Prinsedam as long as she sails the itineraries we want. For us it all boils down to service and itinerary.

We have sailed the Prinsedam several times with 175 days aboard her due to her unique itineraries and we love the size. Yes she is old, dated, getting a bit worn, her cabins seem to be a bit smaller and continue to have plumbing and AC issues but she sails better than any ship we have been on due to her unique design. Nothing can beat the HAL service especially on their smaller ships where everyone knows your name, likes and dislikes. It was a bit embarrassing when she lost her thrusters and we had to be towed into port to make the turn to the docking area while a big new ship had passengers lining the deck watching and waving - and of course asking about it when we ran into their passengers on shore but what the heck, it was a unique experience. We are also getting to be old, dated and a bit worn so we will keep sailing on the Prinsedam as long as she sails the itineraries we want. For us it all boils down to service and itinerary.

We have only sailed 101 days on the Prinsendam. Wish there was a way to give your posting five stars. I couldn't have stated better than you did. Some people like the glitzy new ships that look like floating apartment houses. Captain Andre made that comment about "floating apartment house" as we departed Aruba. We just love the way she sails and her fabulous itineraries.

The Rotterdam V was also a beautiful sailing ship. And she sailed for about 40 some years. About thirty of those years were for HAL. Maybe the Prinsendam can make more than 30 years also!!

The Rotterdam V was also a beautiful sailing ship. And she sailed for about 40 some years. About thirty of those years were for HAL.

Thirty-eight (but who's counting ;)).

One difference between Rotterdam V sailing so long, and wishing Prinsendam II would sail as long for AHL, is that Rotterdam's time with HAL was at the beginning of her long life; Prinsendam's is toward the end.

As my cruising time winds down on a per year basis, I can see myself having more cruises on the Prinsendam, and fewer on the other HAL ships. I just hope she stays around for me.

Just for those who are interested in that sorta thing ;) PRDM has a new captain this month and into early next month; one of her two long-time staff captains, Jeroen Schuchman, has the con during that time, having relieved Capt. Tim Roberts

Just for those who are interested in that sorta thing ;) PRDM has a new captain this month and into early next month; one of her two long-time staff captains, Jeroen Schuchman, has the con during that time, having relieved Capt. Tim Roberts

Do you by chance have a photo?

Roy

thanks Copper. Interesting indeed. Hope all is well with Captain Andre as he normally comes on. Captain Roberts came on mid cruise for us so I suspect his contract is up. I am sure that the P'dam will be in good hands with Captain Schuchman.

thanks Copper. Interesting indeed. Hope all is well with Captain Andre as he normally comes on. Captain Roberts came on mid cruise for us so I suspect his contract is up. I am sure that the P'dam will be in good hands with Captain Schuchman.

I am sure she is