Panama Canal ?

thepoint

I think starboard is a bit more interesting. JMO. You don't want to spend the entire day topside because that is how people get bad sunburns. It is better to have a balcony. Also, it is extremely hot and muggy in the Panama Canal. It makes sense to take a neck cooling wrap for time spent outdoors that day.

There isn't a "best" side. Having said this, the majority of the land based infrastructure that supports the canal locks will be found on the Port side when on a west bound itinerary.

The majority of the former US military installations will be on the Port side too. The canal expansion project will be to Port on the Caribbean end and to Starboard on the Pacific end.

The canal is a full day passage and you will have plenty of time to move about and see everything. And anything said here is valid through 2015 as the "new" canal is supposed to be operational in 2016 and nobody knows what ships will be on the canal itinerary or what set of locks will be used.

I am sure the best place to be is probably topside, however -- Going west bound, which is the best side of the ship to be on -- port or starboard? Thank you.

You'll be topside most of the time. If you have a balcony , I would take the right side of the ship towards the bow from the stern.

I am sure the best place to be is probably topside, however -- Going west bound, which is the best side of the ship to be on -- port or starboard? Thank you.

topside fore or aft

It takes all day so move around to different areas of the ship

I didn't have a balcony, so I spent most of my time out on deck (mostly covered) and moved around. It was also easier to hear the narrative from the onboard speaker. I did a partial transit, so I wasn't out there all day.

Roz

When going through the locks, you will not know until immediately before entering the lock which side of the ship will face the other lane of locks. Since the ships are fleeted through the canal, groups of ships start at each end in the morning and end at the opposite end in the late afternoon. This allows for both lanes to be used for traffic going the same direction to speed up the transit for all ships. The captain will try to arrange one side towards the other lane at one end of the canal, and the other side at the other end. This will give all balcony users similar views of how the locks work.

Our balcony was on the starboard side. We entered the first set of locks with the port side facing the other lane, and the last set of locks with the starboard side facing the other lane. This allowed us a close up view of how they handled the ships through the locks in the last set of locks.

Mira%20Flores%20Locks.JPG

Canal.JPG

Edited by fortinweb

You will want to roam about the ship for the passage...there is stuff everywhere....you're in a CANAL....stuff on both sides! See it from front and back, both sides and different deck levels! This is not a quick process, so you don't need to plant yourself in one spot...you will miss too much!

If you are in a lock next to another ship, go to a lower deck and look up...amazing!

You will also find it's HOT....HOT....HOT....you will want to go into the AC periodically, I'm sure.

Edited by cb at sea

You will also find it's HOT....HOT....HOT....you will want to go into the AC periodically, I'm sure.

Certain times of the year are much more comfortable than others. We transited in mid March, and the weather was warm, not 'hot, hot, hot", and the humidity was not that bad. Timing is important. Not much different than travelling to any other part of the world.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thank you. We are looking at March and April 2016. Do you have a suggestion as to which month is the best.

Back in the day . . . we were stationed at Howard AFB. March & April are both good months for a transit. Temps are relatively moderate and it is a dryer time of year.

Our itinerary allowed a full day in Panama City and it was fascinating to see what had changed over the 17 years since we shipped out.

Enjoy!

Going from Atlantic to Pacific, we had a starboard balcony, figuring that would be the "land-side" through the whole trip. However, due to the way the isthmus twists, that meant we were on the SOUTH (SSW) side of the ship. Very warm in the afternoon! So for you I would recommend portside.

Now the fact is, if you stay on your balcony you will miss some things, and if you move around the ship, you will miss some things. We chose to stay on our balcony which was the first one we ever had and which we paid for. However, the heat and sun did drive us inside for a nap in mid-afternoon!

According to weatherspark's historical data, February is the least humid, lowest dew point month of the year in Panama, extending into March. So I would choose March over April (all other things being equal). We ourselves have booked on the starboard side in February (finishing in March) going PACIFIC to ATLANTIC, in 2016!

Just an FYI, there is no westbound or eastbound transit, as the canal truly runs a more north to south path. Transits are typically labelled as Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic to avoid confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI, there is no westbound or eastbound transit, as the canal truly runs a more north to south path. Transits are typically labelled as Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic to avoid confusion.

Thanks Mich. All this 'east to west' stuff was confusing me.

The actual orientation of the Canal is often a trivia question. :D

Well then it would technically be Northwest to Southeast with the Atlantic entrance north and west of the Pacific entrance. I know that people logically think of a Pacific to Atlantic transit as a "west to east" transit, since looking at a map/globe, the Pacific Ocean is West of the Atlantic Ocean......except at the bend in Panama, where the Atlantic Ocean is North of the Pacific Ocean at the canal route. This is why you would never hear a Canal pilot say "east to west." Had usually heard as Atlantic to Pacific, or very rarely Gatun to Miraflores, etc. That is what I had heard from a few former PanCanal pilots years ago.

To the OP, I often point out (IMO) that for seeing the Canal the cheapest inside room below the chain locker is just as good as the owner's suite! I really would not spend too much time in either place. The best side of the ship is topside or outside. Seriously, if you did want to relax for a bit on the ole balcony, going the direction you are traveling, I probably would choose the port side. There are a few more items of interest on the port side in this direction... a few examples, first the city of Colon, the construction of the new Atlantic Locks. Once you pass through Gatun Locks the port side would be the best side to see oncoming ship traffic, Gamboa and where the Chagres enters the Canal, Gold Hill then through the Pacific Locks. As you head out into the Pacific you will be treated to the skyline of Panama City... all this on the port side. Don't think all the good stuff is limited to one side because on the starboard side you will see things like the only visible remains of the French effort, Gatun Dam, the Smithsonian's Barro Colorado Island, Contractor's Hill, the huge earth moving work as part of the Pacific side's Canal expansion project. Lots to see!.

On another point, Panama's geography has always played tricks with people's mental map even though the overall cruise is Eastbound or Westbound, I too find it easier when speaking with others to refer to the transit as Pacific to Atlantic and the other way around. However, at the Canal the daily run of ships from the Pacific to the Atlantic are dispatched as North 1,3,5 and so on. The Atlantic to the Pacific batch are South 2,4,6 etc.

I don't mean to Hijack this thread, I just figured I could get some good feedback here (If the OP would like me to start a new thread I have no problem doing so)

My questions are, which cruise line do you recommend and why? We have only cruised with RCI but I have heard that if I was looking to do a full transit I should consider Princess Cruise Line. I have no problems changing cruise lines but my DH is a creature of habit... that is why I am seeking advise! My other question is would you recommend Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic or does it matter

:)

We went on the Sun Princess - it was a great cruise! With the canals as they are now, you have to go on older and smaller ships for now. But they also tend to do a lot of ports so, it really doesn't matter as long as it is a good cruise line and Princess is a very good cruise line.

Princess has 2 ships - Coral and Island - that were specifically designed to fit in the Canal. I sailed on Coral and loved it. Had never been on Princess before.

Roz

I don't mean to Hijack this thread, I just figured I could get some good feedback here (If the OP would like me to start a new thread I have no problem doing so)

My questions are, which cruise line do you recommend and why? We have only cruised with RCI but I have heard that if I was looking to do a full transit I should consider Princess Cruise Line. I have no problems changing cruise lines but my DH is a creature of habit... that is why I am seeking advise! My other question is would you recommend Atlantic to Pacific or Pacific to Atlantic or does it matter

:)

You have probably noticed that RCI doesn't have a huge selection of Canal cruises. Celebrity, Princess and HAL have a pretty good number of full transits through the Canal during the "season.". So if you can't make a RCI transit work for you get some recommendations from friends or a travel agent you trust. I'm sure any of the mainstream cruise lines would do you good.

As far as which direction is preferable... either one you choose will be just as rewarding. Most cruisers make their choice based on their preference for dates, price, airline connections and the like. Some cruisers even make their decision based on whether they push clocks ahead or back through the 3 time zones!