Concerns regarding terrorism in Europe.

TinkBellaMom

I was telling my husband just last week that I thought that the more obscure places in Europe were going to have more tourists due to fear of travelling to Paris, London, Rome , Barcelona ect.

Slovenia came to mind. We spent one port day there in 2011 and it would be a wonderful place to explore for a week IMO.

Everyone has to do what is right for them.

edit: Just read your last post OP. Have a wonderful cruise. Venice is lovely.

From Venice it is only an hour and half drive to Slovenia. It is possible to do BOTH.

From Venice it is only an hour and half drive to Slovenia. It is possible to do BOTH.

Our ship did an Adriatic sail and we started and overnighted at the end of our cruise in Venice. Slovenia was a wonderful surprise to me and worthy of an extended visit.

Do a Google search on all the homegrown local shoot-em-ups that have occurred in the gold old USA in the last few months. You are probably safer in Europe.

http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/mass-shootings-tripled_n_5992702.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/mass-killings/index.html#frequency

DON

Exactly.

If we were making a choice between travelling in the US and travelling in Europe based on violent crime/murder stats and the probability of being involved in an 'incident' etc. our overwhelming choice would be Europe.

Exactly.

If we were making a choice between travelling in the US and travelling in Europe based on violent crime/murder stats and the probability of being involved in an 'incident' etc. our overwhelming choice would be Europe.

If you are talking about small towns and villages then I would definitely feel safer in Europe but I wouldn't personally feel any safer in Rome, Paris or London than I would in New York, Washington or LA right now. A year from now I may feel differently, who knows.

I'm sorry for Fox News fans' date=' but our US media is the best at spreading F.U.D. ( Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Please go and enjoy your cruise. Europe is such a beautiful place. We were just in Russia last August, and I have never been happier to ignore our media as I was during that cruise. We are returning to the UK and on to Norway in May and I can't wait.[/quote']

So true about media reports in USA.

Well, just to share an update on the trip in Sept. We had a heart to heart and we ARE going!!! We have even decided to spend some extra time in Venice before the cruise. I really appreciate all of the insight from everyone. We have not really traveled out of the US further than the Caribbean and Mexico. We have had to postpone this trip before because I was fighting breast cancer.

I read hubby all the posts and he agreed life is too short to stay home when we have an opportunity like this.

On another point----he will no longer believe anything he hears on Fox News!!!!!

thank you all!

I am so happy you are going on your cruise. You will love it. Have a great time!!

If you are talking about small towns and villages then I would definitely feel safer in Europe but I wouldn't personally feel any safer in Rome, Paris or London than I would in New York, Washington or LA right now. A year from now I may feel differently, who knows.
Far more people die in automobile accidents than in plane crashes, but the hundreds who die at one time in the plane crash (eg Air Asia) stay in the news for weeks, while meanwhile thousands have died in automobiles one or two at a time. It is horrible that 20 people were killed in Paris, and they and their families deserve our attention and sympathy. BUT last year over a 100 people were murdered in Washington, over 300 (the LOWEST number in decades) in NY, and over 500 in LA. The number of murders in the entirety of France or the entirety of Great Britain is only slighter greater than the number in LA. Personally it doesn't matter to me if I am killed by a terrorist or a gang-banger - I'm still dead.

If you really are afraid of being killed don't stay in the US, and certainly don't go to the Caribbean. The top 6 countries in the world for murder rate are in the Caribbean and Central America, and yes some of these are common stops on cruise ships.

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

Far more people die in automobile accidents than in plane crashes, but the hundreds who die at one time in the plane crash (eg Air Asia) stay in the news for weeks, while meanwhile thousands have died in automobiles one or two at a time. It is horrible that 20 people were killed in Paris, and they and their families deserve our attention and sympathy. BUT last year over a 100 people were murdered in Washington, over 300 (the LOWEST number in decades) in NY, and over 500 in LA. The number of murders in the entirety of France or the entirety of Great Britain is only slighter greater than the number in LA. Personally it doesn't matter to me if I am killed by a terrorist or a gang-banger - I'm still dead.

If you really are afraid of being killed don't stay in the US, and certainly don't go to the Caribbean. The top 6 countries in the world for murder rate are in the Caribbean and Central America, and yes some of these are common stops on cruise ships.

Thom

Thank you for the advice not to stay in the US. Not sure that is what the President was going for in his speech the other day though.

Living in the UK, my opinion, for what it's worth is as follows: Unfortunately, so called "experts" on US news have not helped the situation. Here in the UK we cannot believe the garbage we have heard. Especially from Steve Emerson on Fox news, telling the world that there are religious police on the streets, Muslim cities & no-go areas for non-muslims. It's simply not true. I honestly feel as safe today as I always have & would not change any of my travel plans.

In the interest of fair and balanced, :) I had to google Steve Emerson to see who he is as I know he is not an anchor or regular reporter or regular guest on Fox News. It seems he did appear as a guest and spouted whatever it was he said but it is 'slanted' to imply that is the position of the network or even one of their anchors or regular guests.

As to whether to travel to Europe or anywhere, each person makes their own choices for their own reasons. None of us have walked in anyone else's shoes and don't know their 'back story'.

Perhaps there is a new widow who traveled for 47 years with her DH and is now alone. Maybe I'm nervous I'd be alone abroad with no one to help me if something happened? I'm not saying that is the case but no one knows anyone else here (with the exception of friends/relatives who may be posters) to 'tell' someone else what they should do.

Perhaps there are people with mild to moderate disabilities and we know the laws of nature are survival of the fittest. Would that mildly disabled person manage if there were an emergency?

Maybe there are people who are by nature anxiety ridden and they would be more nervous than happy to be there. It might be a waste of good time and money for a very anxious person to go.

There might be people upon whom others depend. Parents of young children, adult children of aged parents. The needs of others may be more important to them than their need to travel.

You get my point.......

Please don't try to shame or eagerly urge someone to do something out of their comfort zone or embarrass them.

JMO.......

sorry: After posting this I found above others had already commented Steve Emerson should not be taken as the voice of FOX.

Edited by sail7seas

Well, just to share an update on the trip in Sept. We had a heart to heart and we ARE going!!! We have even decided to spend some extra time in Venice before the cruise. I really appreciate all of the insight from everyone. We have not really traveled out of the US further than the Caribbean and Mexico. We have had to postpone this trip before because I was fighting breast cancer.

I read hubby all the posts and he agreed life is too short to stay home when we have an opportunity like this.

On another point----he will no longer believe anything he hears on Fox News!!!!!

thank you all!

Very happy to read you have decided to go. You and your DH made the decision together for your own reasons and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Extra time in Venice is a dream....... one of my very favorite cities in Europe.

Have a fabulous trip.

sorry: After posting this I found above others had already commented Steve Emerson should not be taken as the voice of FOX.

Nobody should be the voice of Fox News because everyone would feel more secure and less brainwashed without it.

As to whether to travel to Europe or anywhere, each person makes their own choices for their own reasons. None of us have walked in anyone else's shoes and don't know their 'back story'.

Perhaps there is a new widow who traveled for 47 years with her DH and is now alone. Maybe I'm nervous I'd be alone abroad with no one to help me if something happened? I'm not saying that is the case but no one knows anyone else here (with the exception of friends/relatives who may be posters) to 'tell' someone else what they should do.

Perhaps there are people with mild to moderate disabilities and we know the laws of nature are survival of the fittest. Would that mildly disabled person manage if there were an emergency?

Maybe there are people who are by nature anxiety ridden and they would be more nervous than happy to be there. It might be a waste of good time and money for a very anxious person to go.

There might be people upon whom others depend. Parents of young children, adult children of aged parents. The needs of others may be more important to them than their need to travel.

You get my point.......

Please don't try to shame or eagerly urge someone to do something out of their comfort zone or embarrass them.

JMO.......

These sound pretty reasonable until you realise that in most of these cases, you're recommending that some people ought to live in their own little padded cell, just in case something should happen to them. Advice not to travel in case your parents need you is way over the top. If someone wants to swim the Pacific, then by all means advise them that their family needs them more; but travelling to Venice is only marginally more risky than going to the corner shop for a loaf of bread.

Especially, I don't agree the advice to disabled people. A minor disability is NOT a reason for going into your shell and abandoning holidays. (Nor is a major disability, come to that, if you can possibly manage it.) If someone is reluctant to travel because they have a minor disability, then I think it's positively our duty to encourage them to go.

Nobody should be the voice of Fox News because everyone would feel more secure and less brainwashed without it.

I have no interest in FOX and most certainly have no desire to defend them. However, I do support having things said about them be accurate.

These sound pretty reasonable until you realise that in most of these cases, you're recommending that some people ought to live in their own little padded cell, just in case something should happen to them. Advice not to travel in case your parents need you is way over the top. If someone wants to swim the Pacific, then by all means advise them that their family needs them more; but travelling to Venice is only marginally more risky than going to the corner shop for a loaf of bread.

Especially, I don't agree the advice to disabled people. A minor disability is NOT a reason for going into your shell and abandoning holidays. (Nor is a major disability, come to that, if you can possibly manage it.) If someone is reluctant to travel because they have a minor disability, then I think it's positively our duty to encourage them to go.

It isn't for me or you or anyone to decide for someone else what they should do, where they should go, if they should travel and THAT is my point.

I don't think anyone should be told they should travel or .......... (a list of reasons is then added.) None of us need approval or permission from anyone here to either choose to go or choose to not. None of us need to explain or be made to feel inferior if the choice is to not travel at this particular time for any of their own reasons.

Edited by sail7seas

...It isn't for me or you or anyone to decide for someone else what they should do, where they should go, if they should travel and THAT is my point.

I don't think anyone should be told they should travel or .......... (a list of reasons is then added.) None of us need approval or permission from anyone here to either choose to go or choose to not. None of us need to explain or be made to feel inferior if the choice is to not travel at this particular time for any of their own reasons.

You do realize, don't you, that this thread was started with
...I am wondering if anyone has ever had these fears, and if you could share some insight.
If someone has no interest in travel, that clearly is their own business, and there is absolutely no reason to feel somehow inferior for not desiring to travel. But if someone does have interest in travel, and has asked for insight, I have no qualms about citing factual data that disproves much of the emotional "information" that is out there. There is no need for any of us to explain why they choose not to go, but if one presents emotion as fact (and I have seen very little of that on this thread [unlike some TV channels]) one should not be surprised to be called out on it.

Thom

I think that there are many people who believe that their particular country sets the standard for safe. For most of us it is an illusion because we are so familiar with our own environment that we overlook the actual statistics and the relative risk from the crazies.

Many would be very surprised how those outsiders actually view the relative safety of their country, or areas within it.

Edited by iancal

I live about 15 miles from Birmingham, so for goodness sake don't let Fox News know about the Black Country

FOX News is a total joke on this side of the Atlantic as well (for those with a brain in their head). The twenty four hour news stations should be called news creators. Most of the time they makeup the news not report it.

FOX News is a total joke on this side of the Atlantic as well (for those with a brain in their head). The twenty four hour news stations should be called news creators. Most of the time they makeup the news not report it.

It provides some good competition to Comedy Central though...

• 11 months later...

Here we are a year later, after a number of more terrorist attacks and I'm curious if any who had opinions when we last wrote on this thread have a different viewpoint now?

Another attack today..... This one in Turkey aimed at tourists that succeeded in killing 10.

I think the British and Americans have probably slightly differing viewpoints on terrorism. Mainly due to the fact that a lot of Brits are inured to terrorism due to the fact that we had to live with it for decades due to the IRA. Whereas, it's all new to Americans.

But, no. I won't be changing any travel plans now or in the near future.

I think the British and Americans have probably slightly differing viewpoints on terrorism. Mainly due to the fact that a lot of Brits are inured to terrorism due to the fact that we had to live with it for decades due to the IRA. Whereas, it's all new to Americans.

But, no. I won't be changing any travel plans now or in the near future.

Gotta go some time...

Might as well be experiencing some far away port on a trip of a lifetime.

However, I understand my outlook on life is quite different to many other people.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Here we are a year later, after a number of more terrorist attacks and I'm curious if any who had opinions when we last wrote on this thread have a different viewpoint now?...
I have pretty much the same viewpoint that I expressed a year ago. I do think that the extremes on both (all?) sides have become even crazier, but one could be a target almost anywhere, so I am continuing to travel. No current plans to travel to Syria in 2016.

Thom