Electric Cigarettes on Stateroom Balcony

geordiebing

Are you allowed to smoke e cigarettes on your own stateroom balcony

No.

Here is the policy

"Electronic Cigarettes

The use of electronic cigarettes is allowed within the confines of the guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only."

While there may be no odor or smoke coming from an e cigarette, a fellow passenger may mistake the e cigarette for a real one and report the person as smoking on the balcony.

That may cause a hassle for the e cigarette user.

If the e cigarettes are allowed in the cabin and not on the balcony,then the user should respect the regulations.

As an asthmatic, I certainly appreciate the smoking regulations that Princess has adopted on their ships.

As a wife of an ex smoker (DH gave them up for my health and has helped his own for 14 years), I can understand the frustration smokers experience to find comfortable places to smoke.

Who said they have no odor. 1/2 my work team uses esig and they most certainly smell.

That's what I keep saying, but no one believes me. The juice with flavors does have a odor. And, for some of us, we can smell just water vapor, if it's thick enough.

We use our balcony a lot. There have been times we've been forced inside because of cigarette smoke. There have been times we've been in our room,had the balcony door open and had to close it because of cigarette smoke. If someone disregards Princess policy and smokes real or e-cigarettes and the offensive odor reaches our balcony, I won't have any problem reporting them.

We use our balcony a lot. There have been times we've been forced inside because of cigarette smoke. There have been times we've been in our room,had the balcony door open and had to close it because of cigarette smoke. If someone disregards Princess policy and smokes real or e-cigarettes and the offensive odor reaches our balcony, I won't have any problem reporting them.

Most people would report them I'm sure but since the vapor dissipates quickly & the odor is at a minimum outside they'll probably be OK with it. Anywhere indoors is another situation except the designated smoking areas.

Officially no- but if you're somewhat cautious I'm sure you can get away with it since no one can smell it & the vapor quickly dissipates.

Rules are rules. It is wrong to try to "get away with it". I don't understand why individuals can't just follow the rules/recommendations rather than seeing what they can get away with.

The only people who say e cigs are OK and safe are tobacco companies and the smokers. People just don't get it. If you are getting nicotine when inhaling what is coming out when exhaling in all that vapor? Where does it just disappear to?

Real unbiased research shows many toxins coming from them. My partner is asthmatic and has had issues when they are smoked close by just like regular cigarettes. They are just as dangerous.

What amazes me is that they have been advertised as a way to quite smoking or I've seen advertising to take back your right to smoke but people are smoking them now for years and they haven't given up smoking or just don't care about affecting others health. Hmmmm go figure.

We have only had 1 trip since the change with a smoker next door. Before that it was hit or miss. I spoke to her on the second day and she said she never gave it a thought just always has done it. But it did stop, I don't think I would report anybody but I know others would as rules are rules.

Rules are rules. It is wrong to try to "get away with it". I don't understand why individuals can't just follow the rules/recommendations rather than seeing what they can get away with.

Yes, it might be a rule but is there actually any way to prevent people from using the e cigs on their balcony? Since they don't emit much of an odor and you can't smell them unless your up close up to the vapor what can you do to prevent people from using them? Not much.

I know there have been a few times that I've seen people using them on the ships & unless you have actually seen them puffing away you would never know they were present-and that's inside the ship. On a balcony there's no chance in the world they couldn't puff away and get caught.

Officially no- but if you're somewhat cautious I'm sure you can get away with it since no one can smell it & the vapor quickly dissipates.

Unfortunately, it is incorrect that others cannot smell or otherwise detect the vapors. Not all electronic cigarettes are created equal. Some of them can be almost as irritating as classic smoke, they just visibly disappear a little faster.

For this reason, as well as limiting accessibility to minors, many jurisdictions are passing laws and ordinances that simply treat electronic cigarettes identically to classic tobacco.

Edited by WoodyWindy

Indoors or balcony - I'd bet there are lots of people who could see/smell e-cig usage.

And just because someone may not be able to detect something doesn't make it ok to do it...

I'm more sensitive than most people when it comes to smells but I defy anyone to pinpoint the location of fumes coming from an e cig on a balcony.

They are just as dangerous.

While I would not assert that there are zero risks associated with electronic cigarettes, it is phenomenally inaccurate to equate them with regular cigarettes. A short excerpt from a recent study found that:

"Researchers also compared the toxicant levels in both e-liquids and aerosols versus tobacco smoke. They found that e-liquids and aerosols were much lower in toxicants and that their carcinogen content was negligible."

To the person who posted that electronic cigarettes should be banned because of the irritating smell, be careful with that argument. Under that theory, jurisdictions would be permitted to ban automobiles (due to their exhaust fumes), perfumes, gasoline, and dirty socks.

I'm not even arguing for or against the use of electronic cigarettes on balconies. What I would hope for is that we all have a sense of balance and proportion on the issue, and that we all make sure that our arguments take into account available scientific research. In that regard, if you look for available research, a recent study from the Cochrane Collaboration (an independent body that assesses the validity of medical/scientific research) suggests that virtually all but a couple of e cig studies are badly flawed. It found that there were precisely two studies that weren't. Here is a link to the findings of those studies:

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/e-cigarettes-can-be-effective-smoking-cessation-aids-cochrane-review-suggests/20067457.article

Yes, I know some of you find them irritating, or smelly. But on the other side of the equation, consider the potential benefits. For hundreds of thousands of us, the electronic cigarette represents our best chance, finally, to be rid of the tobacco addiction (I'm over 2 years tobacco free!). How could that not be something which society should firmly embrace and encourage? Shouldn't all people rejoice in the potential reduction or elimination of the untold costs associated with lung cancer, emphysema, and COPD?

A short excerpt from a recent study found that:

"Researchers also compared the toxicant levels in both e-liquids and aerosols versus tobacco smoke. They found that e-liquids and aerosols were much lower in toxicants and that their carcinogen content was negligible."

And I'll point you to another study from the NEJM which indicates they have observed that formaldehyde-containing hemiacetals, shown by others to be entities that are detectable by means of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, can be formed during the e-cigarette “vaping” process.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069

Edited by triptolemus

That's what I keep saying, but no one believes me. The juice with flavors does have a odor. And, for some of us, we can smell just water vapor, if it's thick enough.

How on earth can water vapour have a smell?