So so so so SOOOOOO disappointed, Ms. Jan Swartz!

northerndynasty

Just...just what are we going to do?!?!?!

Princess...what have you done to us cruise-fanatics who just LOVE Princess, and, just so happen to have quick-access to Port Everglades all year-round...but now, NOW, you "take the cruising out of the cruiser" by not having ANY shorter (3-9 days) Fort Lauderdale departures from:

APRIL through OCTOBER?!?!

What on EARTH are we to do for 6 months?!?!?! You know, seriously, what you're doing is almost "forcing" loyal Princess cruisers, but die-hard cruise fans, to even 'consider' other Cruise Lines during that much off-time. I don't want to think we would do it, but just what if we had to just be on a Ship...and some of the "others" were doing the 3-9 day cruises while you're off in Europe somewhere?!

(During non-holiday times, we can only do shorter cruises...)

Princess...what have you done to us cruise-fanatics who just LOVE Princess, and, just so happen to have quick-access to Port Everglades all year-round...but now, NOW, you "take the cruising out of the cruiser" by not having ANY shorter (3-9 days) Fort Lauderdale departures from:

APRIL through OCTOBER?!?!

What on EARTH are we to do for 6 months?!?!?! You know, seriously, what you're doing is almost "forcing" loyal Princess cruisers, but die-hard cruise fans, to even 'consider' other Cruise Lines during that much off-time. I don't want to think we would do it, but just what if we had to just be on a Ship...and some of the "others" were doing the 3-9 day cruises while you're off in Europe somewhere?!

(During non-holiday times, we can only do shorter cruises...)

Try RCL , they are comparable, a little higher energy with more activites which you don't have to participate in.

I prefer Princess, Yet, you are right. I was looking for a short term from Galveston/Houston or the West Coast this summer.. If your not going to Alaska, which does not intrest me, forget. Carnival and HAL have some so I must consider that.

...who responded. Some sympathy notes, others with the suggestions I was really afraid of (checking the "other" cruise lines)...

Darn it!

Wonder if our feedback over the phones or in forums ever reach the Big Wigs....?

They do read the Princess forum. ;)

They do read the Princess forum. ;)
They certainly do.

As for positioning ships, always follow the money. Ships sail from where they can command the highest prices. When you see heavy discounting, expect deployment changes in the next year or so.

They certainly do.

As for positioning ships, always follow the money. Ships sail from where they can command the highest prices. When you see heavy discounting, expect deployment changes in the next year or so.

As with most businesses, if they can get more money elsewhere they'll go, either more dollars per cabin or more cabins sold, whatever gives the best return.

I prefer Princess, Yet, you are right. I was looking for a short term from Galveston/Houston or the West Coast this summer.. If your not going to Alaska, which does not intrest me, forget. Carnival and HAL have some so I must consider that.

Alaska didn't interest me either. I'm in Victoria BC, so I thought...we've got water, we've got mountains, we've got trees, seen all of that.....blah to Alaska. But then there was such a good deal on a B2B I couldn't refuse it and so I thought....oh well even if the scenery is boring, it's a cruise!

But to my surprise, Alaska was the most beautiful place I've ever seen and I can't wait until I can go again!

So don't count Alaska out, you may just love it too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This! :D

I went once, and thought beforehand, "meh, it's Alaska" not knowing quite what to expect (frozen tundra and bears, maybe?). Returned four more times, it was so tranquil and beautiful. Sailing the inside passage, getting up at 4am and staying awake all day just to enjoy the everchanging scenery in all directions....best cruises ever, especially the ones sailing to/from Vancouver since they use less of the ocean-route than those departing out of Seattle. My brother lives in Washington State, so I'm trying to use 'visiting them' as an excuse to get back up that way and cruise Alaska again.

;)

Alaska didn't interest me either. I'm in Victoria BC, so I thought...we've got water, we've got mountains, we've got trees, seen all of that.....blah to Alaska. But then there was such a good deal on a B2B I couldn't refuse it and so I thought....oh well even if the scenery is boring, it's a cruise!

But to my surprise, Alaska was the most beautiful place I've ever seen and I can't wait until I can go again!

Edited by dmwnc1959

Stop complaining - there is always someone worse off than yourself. Just consider this. In the 2015 -2016 Cruise Atlas I counted approx. 248 US cruises (excluding Alaska) of 8 days or less with many 3,4 or 5 days.

Guess how many there were in Australia - 23 - yes 23 compared to 248 in the US. As I said stop complaining.:)

What on EARTH are we to do for 6 months?!?!?!

I guess I miss your point. Traditionally, Princess doesn't

have a ship in Florida in the summer. This past summer

Carribbean was there; before that, 3-4 years ago, Emerald

was there.

It is only for the past two years that princess has many scheduled

short cruises. Prior to that, short cruises were generally part

of seasonal repositioning cruises.

So, before summer 2014, what did you do for 6 months?

Just do the same thing...

I guess I miss your point. Traditionally, Princess doesn't

have a ship in Florida in the summer. This past summer

Carribbean was there; before that, 3-4 years ago, Emerald

was there.

It is only for the past two years that princess has many scheduled

short cruises. Prior to that, short cruises were generally part

of seasonal repositioning cruises.

So, before summer 2014, what did you do for 6 months?

Just do the same thing...

Exactly my reaction as well. Though I would have struggled to put it this diplomatically.

But I find it amusing that the OP titled this as an open letter to Jan Swartz. The "Big Wigs" in Santa Clarita don't care one whit what we think about the deployment schedule. The only opinion of ours that matters in the one we express with our wallets...which corporate will credit their latest marketing scheme for. Success in the hospitality industry has been replaced by a history of high-volume sales as the main qualification for cruise line executives.

...saw the light-hearted style of writing I used when I wrote this. LOL...i think some are using this as an opportunity to ...ehhhhh, never mind. LOL

Of course we can drive/fly to another Port. And of course we were spoiled last year with more-than-the-usual Caribbean-destined cruises. And of course (like any good Company, one would presume) Princess will go where the most money can be achieved.

This was merely an attempt at some light-hearted chatter about how we'll have to "suffer" until October - when we can start-up again. PCD - Post Cruise Depression...sucks...

Anyway, no amount of emoticons will serve this any good at this point...ROFL....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We all have our prefrences. Mine is to not go anywhere that I cannot be in my shorts or bathing suit. 50 or 50 degree weather is not for me. If I take a cruise I want to use the out door facilities without a jacket or anything thats needed to keep me warm.

I live in Cleveland. Princess doesn't have any ships leaving from our port. During any time of the year. So you'll just have to do what the rest of us do when we want our cruising fix, fly or drive somewhere! ;)

Same story where we live. They have yet to sail the Great Lakes so off to the airport it is. :)

Stop complaining - there is always someone worse off than yourself. Just consider this. In the 2015 -2016 Cruise Atlas I counted approx. 248 US cruises (excluding Alaska) of 8 days or less with many 3,4 or 5 days.

Guess how many there were in Australia - 23 - yes 23 compared to 248 in the US. As I said stop complaining.:)

It part of our culture and freedom to complain. Why do you want to disturb that. It is part of our national heritage. :D

Isn't it ironic that the Aussie on here, many of whom I admire, complain just is much. This is a discussion board and as such people chat about their prefrences, hopes and desires. Some do not have the gift of doing it humorously or succinctly, but it is their feeling and they should be respected.

Princess...what have you done to us cruise-fanatics who just LOVE Princess, and, just so happen to have quick-access to Port Everglades all year-round...but now, NOW, you "take the cruising out of the cruiser" by not having ANY shorter (3-9 days) Fort Lauderdale departures...

It's all about $$$. Going back to their beginnings Princess has never been committed to the Caribbean in the summer months. They have always moved their ships to areas with higher fares. They have tried to leave a ship in the Caribbean market a few times, but I figure it never really paid off. The Caribbean is an over saturated market which leads to low fares. Also, Carnival Corp, has Carnival brand ships in the summer Caribbean market. Leaving a Princess ship there would be unnecessary self competition for the same passenger base.

It's all about $$$. Going back to their beginnings Princess has never been committed to the Caribbean in the summer months. They have always moved their ships to areas with higher fares. They have tried to leave a ship in the Caribbean market a few times, but I figure it never really paid off. The Caribbean is an over saturated market which leads to low fares. Also, Carnival Corp, has Carnival brand ships in the summer Caribbean market. Leaving a Princess ship there would be unnecessary self competition for the same passenger base.

...I hear ya, and seriously, in a business-sense, this sounds logical. I'm pretty dedicated to Princess (at this point, without any huge compelling reasons to venture elsewhere...yet...), so we'll just have to accept it and it'll make their return that much more exciting! I have been eyeing the beautiful MSC Divina (which we indulge in her night-time departures right past our balcony), but I'm not certain She stays in the summer, either.

Thanks for your response! :)

...saw the light-hearted style of writing I used when I wrote this. LOL...i think some are using this as an opportunity to ...ehhhhh, never mind. LOL

Of course we can drive/fly to another Port. And of course we were spoiled last year with more-than-the-usual Caribbean-destined cruises. And of course (like any good Company, one would presume) Princess will go where the most money can be achieved.

This was merely an attempt at some light-hearted chatter about how we'll have to "suffer" until October - when we can start-up again. PCD - Post Cruise Depression...sucks...

Anyway, no amount of emoticons will serve this any good at this point...ROFL....

Hey, I got the tongue in cheek humor and was surprised at some responses. Personally, I felt much the same way when the CB left it's 9 day run out of New York during the summer. So easy to take a taxi to the ship. Sadly, I left my beloved Princess and did several NCL and HAL cruises. For me, nothing can quite compare to Princess. Just a personal preference.

Some people should lighten up. Maybe a trip to the sunshine will help those endorphins.

Hey, I got the tongue in cheek humor and was surprised at some responses. Personally, I felt much the same way when the CB left it's 9 day run out of New York during the summer. So easy to take a taxi to the ship. Sadly, I left my beloved Princess and did several NCL and HAL cruises. For me, nothing can quite compare to Princess. Just a personal preference.

Some people should lighten up. Maybe a trip to the sunshine will help those endorphins.

...thanks for your contribution, Lois! :) Nice...

Wow, CB did a 9-dayer out of New York during the summer...now THAT must've been sweet! I miss my "longer" cruises, but this "job" is just not making that possible - even with having lots of available Vacation time. It's time to leave this job... LOL

"...endorphins."...love it! :)

Check out the Star Princess. It will be in Vancouver during the summer. That might be the "Alaska" opportunity. :)

We got in on the 9 day on the Caribbean Princess in Sept, unexpectedly. We originally booked for a 5 day, then the guy on the phone told us it was actually a 9 day...Really? For that price? We'll take it. :D

We can only afford one cruise a year on a fixed income, but love to drive down to the Port when in Ft. L. so I can see the ships in port-during season. Our next cruise is in January 2016. I do get my "kind of fix" from the webcam-the ships are primarily RCCL and maybe HAL during the Summer. As long as I hear a horn blow while passing the white building, I'm OK. Ha Ha.

Take care, Everybody....we are all fellow cruisers and if we can't go, we live vicariously through other ones. That said, Hi. Dave!!

Lynne

I surely hope some (or at least, one) of you...

...saw the light-hearted style of writing I used when I wrote this. LOL...i think some are using this as an opportunity to ...ehhhhh, never mind. LOL...

I did. After reading your original post, i concluded that you were either the dumbest person on the face of the planet...or being playful and sarcastic. Never wanting to think the worst, I went with the latter! :D